Skip to main contentAccess keys helpA-Z index

[an error occurred while processing this directive]
| Help

Last Updated: Wednesday, 21 May, 2003, 21:30 GMT 22:30 UK
Porto end Celtic's Uefa dream
Larsson equalised twice for Celtic
Celtic 2-3 FC Porto (aet)

Porto shattered Celtic's hopes of winning their first European trophy for 36 years with a dramatic Uefa Cup final victory in Seville.

Martin O'Neill's side twice fought back from behind against the Portuguese champions on a night of searing temperatures and fluctuating fortunes.

But Porto snatched a late extra-time winner, with Celtic reduced to ten men after defender Bobo Balde was shown the red card.

Derlei and Dmitri Alenitchev twice gave Porto the lead - only for the magic of Henrik Larsson to put Celtic level on each occasion, rekindling hopes of adding to their 1967 European Cup win in Lisbon.

But when Derlei restored Porto's lead with only five minutes of extra-time left, Celtic could not mount another recovery, and O'Neill's gallant side were left disconsolate.

45 mins: Derlei puts Porto in front.
47 mins: Henrik Larsson heads Celtic level.
54 mins: Dmitri Alenitchev restores Porto's lead.
56 mins: Larsson heads home to put Celtic back on terms.
115 mins: Derlei restores Porto's advantage.

Celtic were backed by a wall of noise from the massed ranks of their fans - and spirits were lifted when Porto suffered an early injury setback.

Influential midfielder Francisco Costinha collapsed making a pass and was stretchered off with a thigh injury.

Porto had the first half's most influential performer in striker Deco, who was a constant threat to the Celtic defence.

He forced Joos Valgaeren into a tackle which earned the defender a booking, then forced a fine diving save from Rab Douglas four minutes before the interval.

Celtic's response was muted, with Larsson's long-range free-kick the only serious threat to Vitor Baia.

Porto deservedly took the lead in first-half injury time - and predictably Deco was the orchestrator.


Deco's cross found Alenitchev unmarked, and even though Douglas saved his volley, the rebound fell invitingly for Derlei to score.

Celtic needed an instant response after the break, and the talismanic Larsson provided it within two minutes of the restart.

He rose brilliantly to meet Didier Agathe's cross to head beyond Baia to score his 200th goal for the club.

Celtic were only on terms for seven minutes before another piece of magic by Deco ended with a pass that opened up the Celtic rearguard for Alenitchev to steer a cool finish past Douglas.

But this topsy-turvy final had burst into life, and Larsson restored equality for Celtic after 56 minutes.

Alan Thompson's corner found the Swede unmarked and he flashed another poweful header past Baia.

Aleitchev had a glorious opportunity win the game for Porto in the dying seconds of normal time when he was gifted the ball by substitute Jackie McNamara, but he blazed wildly over the top from 18 yards.

Celtic were reduced to 10 men four minutes into extra-time when giant defender Balde was sent off for his second bookable offence following a wild challenge on Derlei.

The first period of extra-time - with the so-called "silver goal" decider - passed without serious opportunities for either side.

But Porto were back in front with five minutes left when Derlei collected a loose ball to fire past the stranded Douglas.

Porto's Nuno Valente was also sent off for a second bookable offence in the closing seconds, but by then Celtic's challenge had been snuffed out.

Celtic: Douglas, Balde, Mjallby, Valgaeren (Laursen 64), Agathe, Lennon, Lambert (McNamara 76), Petrov (Maloney 104), Thompson, Sutton, Larsson.
Subs Not Used: Hedman, Sylla, Fernandez, Smith.

Sent Off: Balde (95).

Booked: Valgaeren, Lennon, Balde, Petrov.

FC Porto: Vitor Baia, Ferreira, Nuno Valente, Jorge Costa (Pedro Emanuel 71), Ricardo Carvalho, Costinha (Ricardo Costa 9), Alenichev, Maniche, Deco, Capucho (Marco Ferreira 98), Derlei.
Subs Not Used: Nuno, Cesar Peixoto, Clayton, Tiago.

Sent Off: Nuno Valente (120).

Booked: Nuno Valente, Derlei, Maniche, Marco Ferreira.

Attendance: 52,972

Referee: Lubos Michel (Slovakia).

BBC Five Live's Simon Brotherton
"Bitter tears for Celtic"

Celtic boss Martin O'Neill
"It was a fantastic effort by the players and the supporters"


E-mail services | Sport on mobiles/PDAs


Back to top

Sport Homepage | Football | Cricket | Rugby Union | Rugby League | Tennis | Golf | Motorsport | Boxing | Athletics | Snooker | Horse Racing | Cycling | Disability sport | Olympics 2012 | Sport Relief | Other sport...

BBC Sport Academy >> | BBC News >> | BBC Weather >>
About the BBC | News sources | Privacy & Cookies Policy | Contact us
banner watch listen bbc sport