FC Basel 2 - 1 Man Utd
Page last updated at 21:38 GMT, Wednesday, 7 December 2011
Manchester United failed to advance past the Champions League group stage for only the third time in 17 years after a humiliating defeat at Basel.
The three-time European champions and reigning Premier League winners went behind to Marco Streller's strike after poor defending and a goalkeeping error.
They lost captain Nemanja Vidic to a bad knee injury before hitting the bar.
Alexander Frei nodded a second before Phil Jones's late header left United a goal short of the draw they needed.
Sir Alex Ferguson's men, who have reached three of the past four Champions League finals, finished third in Group C as Benfica and Basel reached the knockout stage.
Ferguson and his players looked shell-shocked at the end and they will now have to make do with Europa League football.
GROUP CContinue reading the main story
Basel are into the last 16 for only the second time in their history, caretaker manager Heiko Vogel capping his short spell in charge with an historic triumph.
Questions will be asked of United goalkeeper David de Gea, who ought to have prevented Streller's opener, while Vidic may have a serious knee problem.
United arrived at St Jakob Park knowing a point would be enough to send them through but - with defeat meaning certain elimination - Ferguson cautioned against the complacency that saw Basel almost snatch victory at Old Trafford in September.
They got off to a vibrant start, passing and moving with urgency to deny their opponents possession and threaten an early breakthrough. For the first nine minutes, Basel barely had a touch as an attack-minded United line-up rampaged forward.
However, the hosts managed to limit their opponents to only one sight of goal in the time, a harmless Park strike that sailed well over the bar, and United's failure to capitalise on their dominance was punished with the first meaningful Basel attack.
A collision between Vidic and Chris Smalling allowed Xherdan Shaqiri to collect a cross on the left and, with Smalling in a daze on the floor, he produced a low centre.
Instead of gathering the ball, De Gea poked it away with his foot and Streller was able to place a powerful half-volley into the net.
AnalysisContinue reading the main story
"United's failings have been picked at in Europe and the consequences have been dire"Read more from Phil's blog
United went into their shells and it was not until the 29th minute that they mustered a response - one from which they should have equalised.
Nani's cross from the right teed Rooney up for a routine close-range finish, but he miscued a shot he would usually bury and Park could not convert the follow-up.
That seemed to inject life into United, and Rooney was denied by goalkeeper Yann Sommer from a Giggs reverse pass before seeing a penalty shout turned down.
Nani was causing no shortage of problems but Basel held firm, and United's evening took a turn for the worse when Vidic twisted his right knee in a challenge with Streller.
He left the field on a stretcher in clear discomfort, but his team ploughed on and Rooney saw an angled strike sail narrowly wide at the start of the second half.
Basel continued to defend for their lives while occasionally threatening on the break.
The ever-dangerous Shaqiri curled a shot just wide and De Gea saved well from an Alexander Frei free-kick.
DID YOU KNOW?Continue reading the main story
- United are the first team to be eliminated in the (first) group stage the season after contesting the Champions League final
United responded with a Nani cross that Markus Steinhofer volleyed on to his own bar but then came the decisive blow, Frei ghosting in behind Smalling at the back post to head home Shaqiri's cross.
Jones forced a header over the line after Danny Welbeck was denied from close range and fellow substitute Federico Macheda hit the woodwork, but it was too little, too late.
Live text and stats
Wednesday, 7 December 2011
|Home Team||Score||Away Team||Time|
|FC Basel||2-1||Man Utd||FT|
- 01 Sommer
- 03 Joo-ho Park
- 06 Dragovic
- 17 Shaqiri (Stocker 90+2)
- 19 Abraham
- 20 F Frei yellow card
- 24 Cabral
- 27 Steinhofer
- 09 Streller
- 13 A Frei (Kusunga 87)
- 34 Xhaka yellow card (Chipperfield 82)
- 23 Colomba,
- 21 Kusunga,
- 11 Chipperfield,
- 14 Stocker,
- 29 Kovac,
- 31 Jacques Zoua,
- 35 Pak
- 01 De Gea
- 03 Evra yellow card
- 04 Jones
- 05 Ferdinand
- 12 Smalling
- 15 Vidic (Evans 44)
- 11 Giggs
- 13 Park Ji-Sung (Macheda 82)
- 17 Nani
- 18 Young yellow card (Welbeck 64)
- 10 Rooney
- FC Basel 50%
- Man Utd 50%
Attempts on target
- FC Basel 6
- Man Utd 11
Attempts off target
- FC Basel 4
- Man Utd 10
- FC Basel 2
- Man Utd 7
- FC Basel 10
- Man Utd 15
- Full Time
- 90:00+3:43 The referee blows for the end of the match.
- 90:00+3:16 Rio Ferdinand is ruled offside. Yann Sommer takes the free kick.
- 90:00+2:00 Foul by Wayne Rooney on Yann Sommer, free kick awarded. Yann Sommer restarts play with the free kick.
- 90:00+0:55 Ryan Giggs takes the free kick.
- 90:00+0:55 Substitution Xherdan Shaqiri goes off and Valentin Stocker comes on.
- 90:00+0:55 Booking The referee shows Fabian Frei a yellow card.
- 90:00+0:21 Fabian Frei challenges Chris Smalling unfairly and gives away a free kick.
- Correction - 88:57 The assist for the goal came from Danny Welbeck.
- Correction - 88:57 GOAL - Phil Jones:FC Basel 2 - 1 Man Utd Phil Jones scores a headed goal from close in. Basle 2-1 Man Utd.
- 88:57 Assist by Danny Welbeck.
- 88:57 GOAL - Phil Jones:FC Basel 2 - 1 Man Utd A goal is scored by Phil Jones from close range low into the middle of the goal. Basle 2-1 Man Utd.
- Correction - 88:10 Unfair challenge on Danny Welbeck by Aleksander Dragovic results in a free kick. The ball is delivered by Ryan Giggs, Danny Welbeck takes a shot. Yann Sommer makes a save. Federico Macheda takes a shot.
- 88:10 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Danny Welbeck by Aleksander Dragovic. The ball is swung over by Ryan Giggs, Danny Welbeck takes a shot. Save made by Yann Sommer. Federico Macheda takes a shot.
- 86:48 Adilson Cabral takes the direct free kick.
- 86:48 Substitution Genseric Kusunga is brought on as a substitute for Alexander Frei.
- 86:48 Ryan Giggs gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Xherdan Shaqiri.
- 86:13 Direct free kick taken by Markus Steinhofer.
- 86:13 Booking Caution for Patrice Evra.
- 86:07 Free kick awarded for a foul by Patrice Evra on Xherdan Shaqiri.
- 83:39 Xherdan Shaqiri provided the assist for the goal.
- 83:39 GOAL - Alexander Frei:FC Basel 2 - 0 Man Utd Alexander Frei grabs a headed goal from close in. Basle 2-0 Man Utd.
- 83:01 Phil Jones gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Marco Streller. Alexander Frei takes the direct free kick.
- 81:53 Substitution (Basle) makes a substitution, with Scott Chipperfield coming on for Granit Xhaka.
- 81:07 Substitution Federico Macheda on for Ji-Sung Park.
- 80:54 Shot from outside the box by Granit Xhaka misses to the left of the target.
- 79:52 Xherdan Shaqiri takes a shot. Jonathan Evans gets a block in.
- 75:30 Shot from just outside the area by Wayne Rooney misses to the right of the target.
- 75:12 Corner from left by-line taken by Ryan Giggs.
- 75:00 Luis Nani takes a shot. Blocked by David Abraham.
- 72:41 Wayne Rooney is flagged offside by the assistant referee. Yann Sommer takes the indirect free kick.
- 72:29 Close range headed effort by Wayne Rooney clears the crossbar.
- 71:43 Centre by Ryan Giggs, save by Yann Sommer.
- 70:06 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Marco Streller by Jonathan Evans. Granit Xhaka takes the direct free kick.
- 69:41 Ji-Sung Park gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Fabian Frei. Free kick taken by Yann Sommer.
- 69:06 Outswinging corner taken by Luis Nani from the right by-line.
- 66:46 Wayne Rooney takes a shot. Save by Yann Sommer.
- 66:05 Unfair challenge on Fabian Frei by Chris Smalling results in a free kick. Yann Sommer takes the free kick.
- 64:57 Effort on goal by Luis Nani from just outside the penalty area goes harmlessly over the target.
- Correction - 63:59 Substitution Ashley Young leaves the field to be replaced by Danny Welbeck.
- 63:59 Substitution (Man Utd) makes a substitution, with Danny Welbeck coming on for Ashley Young.
- 63:41 Wayne Rooney has an effort at goal from just inside the box that misses to the left of the goal.
- 58:48 Inswinging corner taken by Ryan Giggs from the right by-line played to the near post, Aleksander Dragovic makes a clearance.
- 58:24 Corner taken by Ashley Young.
- 56:55 Corner taken left-footed by Xherdan Shaqiri, Aleksander Dragovic takes a shot. Save by David De Gea.
- 53:25 Outswinging corner taken left-footed by Xherdan Shaqiri from the left by-line, Rio Ferdinand manages to make a clearance.
- 52:20 Unfair challenge on Granit Xhaka by Phil Jones results in a free kick. Strike comes in from Alexander Frei from the free kick, David De Gea makes a save.
- 51:30 Xherdan Shaqiri produces a left-footed shot from the edge of the box and misses to the right of the goal.
- 49:50 Luis Nani takes a shot. Save by Yann Sommer.
- 48:58 Shot by Wayne Rooney from deep inside the penalty area misses to the right of the goal.
- 45:01 The second half has started.
- Half Time
- 45:00+3:25 The referee blows for half time.
- 45:00+2:48 Aleksander Dragovic takes the direct free kick.
- 45:00+2:48 Booking Booking for Ashley Young for unsporting behaviour.
- 45:00+2:33 Ashley Young challenges Granit Xhaka unfairly and gives away a free kick.
- 45:00+0:50 Xherdan Shaqiri takes a shot. David De Gea makes a save.
- 45:00+0:17 The referee gives a free kick against Ryan Giggs for handball. Direct free kick taken by Adilson Cabral.
- 44:26 Xherdan Shaqiri produces a left-footed shot from just outside the box that goes wide right of the goal.
- 43:50 Free kick awarded for a foul by Ryan Giggs on Xherdan Shaqiri. Direct free kick taken by Markus Steinhofer.
- 43:16 Free kick taken by Granit Xhaka.
- 43:16 Substitution Nemanja Vidic leaves the field to be replaced by Jonathan Evans.
- 43:16 Free kick awarded for a foul by Nemanja Vidic on David Abraham.
- 40:54 The ball is delivered by Luis Nani, Markus Steinhofer makes a clearance.
- 40:21 Effort from just outside the area by Xherdan Shaqiri goes over the bar.
- 39:46 Ashley Young takes a shot. Save by Yann Sommer.
- 39:27 Granit Xhaka challenges Chris Smalling unfairly and gives away a free kick. Free kick taken by Chris Smalling.
- 37:47 Phil Jones takes a shot. Blocked by Aleksander Dragovic.
- 36:52 Joo-Ho Park challenges Luis Nani unfairly and gives away a free kick. Ji-Sung Park restarts play with the free kick.
- 35:21 Luis Nani takes a shot. Save by Yann Sommer.
- 34:49 Marco Streller gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Rio Ferdinand. Direct free kick taken by Rio Ferdinand.
- 34:23 Wayne Rooney takes a shot. Save by Yann Sommer.
- 34:11 Adilson Cabral gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Phil Jones. Ryan Giggs restarts play with the free kick.
- 33:26 Ashley Young has a header from close range and clears the crossbar.
- 32:00 Inswinging corner taken by Ryan Giggs.
- 30:58 Adilson Cabral challenges Ashley Young unfairly and gives away a free kick. Free kick taken by Rio Ferdinand.
- 28:58 Centre by Luis Nani, Ji-Sung Park takes a shot. Save made by Yann Sommer.
- 27:58 Alexander Frei fouled by Ryan Giggs, the ref awards a free kick. Direct free kick taken by Aleksander Dragovic.
- 27:10 Free kick taken by Ryan Giggs.
- 27:10 Booking Granit Xhaka receives a yellow card.
- 26:52 Granit Xhaka concedes a free kick for a foul on Luis Nani.
- 26:34 Foul by Granit Xhaka on Chris Smalling, free kick awarded. Chris Smalling takes the direct free kick.
- 25:49 The ball is swung over by Ashley Young, clearance made by David Abraham.
- 23:47 Long range shot by Ashley Young goes wide right of the target.
- 22:40 Patrice Evra challenges Marco Streller unfairly and gives away a free kick. Xherdan Shaqiri takes the direct free kick, drilled shot by Luis Nani.
- 22:09 Ji-Sung Park is flagged offside by the assistant referee. Yann Sommer takes the free kick.
- 20:50 The ball is swung over by Chris Smalling, save made by Yann Sommer.
- 15:08 Nemanja Vidic concedes a free kick for a foul on Adilson Cabral. Yann Sommer takes the indirect free kick.
- 14:32 Corner taken left-footed by Ryan Giggs.
- 14:02 Inswinging corner taken right-footed by Ashley Young from the left by-line to the near post, Granit Xhaka manages to make a clearance.
- 13:43 Luis Nani delivers the ball.
- 13:03 Free kick awarded for a foul by Granit Xhaka on Ji-Sung Park. Direct free kick taken by Chris Smalling.
- 11:41 Shot by Luis Nani from outside the box goes over the net.
- 8:30 The assist for the goal came from Xherdan Shaqiri.
- 8:30 GOAL - Marco Streller:FC Basel 1 - 0 Man Utd A goal is scored by Marco Streller from inside the penalty area to the top right corner of the goal. Basle 1-0 Man Utd.
- 3:35 Chris Smalling handles the ball and concedes a free kick. Fabian Frei takes the free kick.
- 2:54 Effort on goal by Ji-Sung Park from inside the penalty area goes harmlessly over the bar.
- 2:01 Ryan Giggs gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Xherdan Shaqiri. Direct free kick taken by Adilson Cabral.
- 0:00 The match gets underway.
Live text and data provided by The Press Association.
Champions League results
Champ Lge Group A table snapshot
Champ Lge Group B table snapshot
Champ Lge Group C table snapshot
Champ Lge Group D table snapshot
Champ Lge Group E table snapshot
Champ Lge Group F table snapshot
Champ Lge Group G table snapshot
|2||Zenit St P'sbg||6||2||9|
Champ Lge Group H table snapshot