Napoli 2 - 1 Man City
Page last updated at 23:23 GMT, Tuesday, 22 November 2011
Manchester City face an uphill battle to reach the last 16 of the Champions League after defeat by Napoli.
Edinson Cavani's near-post header put the Italians into the lead before Mario Balotelli levelled when he tapped home from two yards out.
But Cavani's low shot early in the second half saw off City, who must now beat Bayern Munich on 7 December to stand any chance of progression.
They also need Villarreal to take at least a point off Napoli in Spain.
It is back to the drawing board for the Blues after they came up short in their biggest Champions League test to date.
The attacking threat which has torn apart the best Premier League defences this season was only sporadically seen in Stadio San Paolo, and City will need it back in full flow if their debut Champions League campaign is not to come to a premature end.
They were greeted by an electric atmosphere in Naples, with one banner calling for "90 minutes of fire".
The visitors were doing their best to dampen the crowd's enthusiasm, but the blue touch paper was lit after 17 minutes when Cavani got in front of his marker to head home a corner.
Roberto Mancini's men were certainly feeling the heat as Cavani, Ezequiel Lavezzi and Marek Hamsik seemingly pulled their defence apart at will.
Did you know?Continue reading the main story
- Manchester City have fallen behind four times in their five Champions League matches this season
They were on the back foot and it took a defensive howler to let them back into the game.
Salvatore Aronica gave the ball away to David Silva in the area and the Spaniard's shot was parried into the path of Balotelli, who made no mistake from two yards out.
That gave the Blues some momentum and Aleksandar Kolarov brought a good save out of Morgan De Sanctis just before the half-time break.
However, Napoli were back in front three minutes into the second half when Andrea Dossena's cross was side-footed home by Cavani.
Joe Hart kept City in the game when he made a fine save from Lavezzi, while Mancini signalled his intent when he summoned Samir Nasri from the bench.
As the Premier League leaders pushed men forward they were frequently caught on the break and Hamsik hit the post while Hart had to be alert to deny Christian Maggio.
Sandwiched between those glorious chances, City had a fantastic opportunity of their own when Balotelli got in behind the Italians' defence and forced a fantastic save from De Sanctis.
Sergio Aguero was brought on with 10 minutes to go and he made an instant impact, going close with a shot.
However, perhaps mindful of the ever-present threat of being punished on the counter-attack by Napoli's impressive front three, City left their attacking charge too late and must now place their faith in a Villarreal side who have failed to register a single point in the competition this season.
Live text and stats
Tuesday, 22 November 2011
|Home Team||Score||Away Team||Time|
- 01 De Sanctis
- 06 Aronica
- 08 Dossena (Fernandez 89)
- 14 Campagnaro
- 28 Cannavaro
- 11 Maggio
- 17 Hamsik
- 23 Gargano
- 88 Inler (Dzemaili 59)
- 07 Cavani (Pandev 83)
- 22 Lavezzi
- 83 Rosati,
- 02 Grava,
- 21 Fernandez,
- 19 Santana,
- 20 Dzemaili,
- 09 Mascara,
- 29 Pandev
- 25 Hart
- 04 Kompany yellow card
- 05 Zabaleta (Johnson 85)
- 06 Lescott
- 13 Kolarov yellow card
- 07 Milner
- 21 Silva yellow card
- 34 De Jong (Nasri 70)
- 42 Y Toure
- 10 Dzeko (Aguero 81)
- 45 Balotelli yellow card
- Napoli 40%
- Man City 60%
Attempts on target
- Napoli 7
- Man City 9
Attempts off target
- Napoli 6
- Man City 9
- Napoli 3
- Man City 5
- Napoli 9
- Man City 10
- Final Result
- Full Time
- 90:00+2:59 The referee signals the end of the game.
- 90:00+2:23 Adam Johnson crosses the ball.
- 90:00+1:06 Vincent Kompany gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Goran Pandev. Walter Gargano takes the free kick.
- 88:02 Substitution Federico Fernandez is brought on as a substitute for Andrea Dossena.
- 87:35 The ball is delivered by Aleksandar Kolarov, clearance made by Paolo Cannavaro.
- 87:21 A cross is delivered by Adam Johnson.
- 87:17 Aleksandar Kolarov crosses the ball.
- 85:57 Salvatore Aronica restarts play with the free kick.
- 85:57 Booking Aleksandar Kolarov receives a yellow card.
- 85:52 Unfair challenge on Ezequiel Lavezzi by Aleksandar Kolarov results in a free kick.
- 85:40 James Milner takes a short corner.
- 85:30 Shot from 12 yards from Sergio Aguero. Morgan De Sanctis makes a save.
- 84:54 Substitution Adam Johnson on for Pablo Zabaleta.
- 84:14 Outswinging corner taken right-footed by James Milner from the right by-line, Shot by Mario Balotelli from 12 yards. Save by Morgan De Sanctis.
- 84:08 A cross is delivered by Sergio Aguero, blocked by Andrea Dossena.
- 83:04 Mario Balotelli is flagged offside by the assistant referee. Hugo Armando Campagnaro takes the free kick.
- 82:16 Substitution Goran Pandev joins the action as a substitute, replacing Edinson Cavani.
- 81:42 Samir Nasri crosses the ball, Mario Balotelli produces a header from deep inside the six-yard box that clears the bar.
- 80:58 Substitution Sergio Aguero joins the action as a substitute, replacing Edin Dzeko.
- 80:41 Effort from 18 yards by Mario Balotelli. Blocked by Salvatore Aronica.
- 79:14 Free kick awarded for a foul by Pablo Zabaleta on Salvatore Aronica. Andrea Dossena takes the direct free kick.
- 78:38 Salvatore Aronica concedes a free kick for a foul on Mario Balotelli. Pablo Zabaleta takes the free kick.
- 77:44 Mario Balotelli takes a shot from 12 yards. Morgan De Sanctis makes a save.
- 76:53 Booking Vincent Kompany goes into the book.
- 75:56 Effort from inside the penalty area by Marek Hamsik hits the post.
- 75:27 James Milner sends in a cross, Hugo Armando Campagnaro makes a clearance.
- 73:09 A cross is delivered by Pablo Zabaleta, clearance made by Paolo Cannavaro.
- 71:08 Centre by Aleksandar Kolarov.
- 69:59 Substitution (Man City) makes a substitution, with Samir Nasri coming on for Nigel De Jong.
- 69:02 Inswinging corner taken from the left by-line by Ezequiel Lavezzi, save by Joe Hart.
- 68:39 Ezequiel Lavezzi has a drilled shot. Save made by Joe Hart.
- 65:13 Ezequiel Lavezzi is caught offside. Joe Hart takes the indirect free kick.
- 64:49 The ball is swung over by James Milner, Morgan De Sanctis makes a save.
- 63:54 Cristian Maggio crosses the ball, save by Joe Hart.
- 62:43 The ball is swung over by Aleksandar Kolarov, Effort from deep inside the area by Mario Balotelli misses to the right of the goal.
- 60:55 Booking The referee shows David Silva a yellow card for dissent.
- 60:00 Free kick awarded for a foul by Blerim Dzemaili on Pablo Zabaleta. Pablo Zabaleta takes the direct free kick. The ball is swung over by David Silva.
- 59:47 The ball is delivered by James Milner, Salvatore Aronica makes a clearance.
- 59:19 Pablo Zabaleta produces a cross, Hugo Armando Campagnaro makes a clearance.
- 58:11 Substitution Blerim Dzemaili replaces Gokhan Inler.
- 57:40 Effort on goal by David Silva from long range goes over the crossbar.
- 55:22 Foul by David Silva on Andrea Dossena, free kick awarded. Direct free kick taken by Salvatore Aronica.
- 54:57 Centre by Pablo Zabaleta, comfortable save by Morgan De Sanctis.
- 54:10 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Aleksandar Kolarov by Cristian Maggio. Direct free kick taken by Aleksandar Kolarov.
- 53:34 Walter Gargano restarts play with the free kick.
- 53:34 Booking Mario Balotelli receives a yellow card.
- 53:26 Free kick awarded for a foul by Mario Balotelli on Hugo Armando Campagnaro.
- 51:14 Shot from just outside the area by Gokhan Inler misses to the left of the target.
- 50:21 Shot by Marek Hamsik. Blocked by Joleon Lescott.
- 48:29 The assist for the goal came from Andrea Dossena.
- 48:29 GOAL - Edinson Cavani:Napoli 2 - 1 Man City Edinson Cavani scores a goal from deep inside the penalty area to the bottom right corner of the goal. Napoli 2-1 Man City.
- 48:28 Andrea Dossena produces a cross,
- 46:15 Foul by Cristian Maggio on Gnegneri Toure Yaya, free kick awarded. Gnegneri Toure Yaya restarts play with the free kick.
- 45:25 The ball is sent over by Ezequiel Lavezzi.
- 45:01 The game restarts for the second half.
- Half Time
- 45:00+1:02 The match has reached half-time.
- 43:35 Inswinging corner taken right-footed by James Milner from the left by-line, Header from deep inside the penalty area by Edin Dzeko goes harmlessly over the crossbar.
- 43:16 Centre by Mario Balotelli.
- 42:11 Aleksandar Kolarov takes a shot. Save by Morgan De Sanctis.
- 41:43 The ball is swung over by David Silva, save by Morgan De Sanctis.
- 39:05 Corner taken left-footed by Aleksandar Kolarov from the left by-line, Vincent Kompany has a headed effort from close range and clears the bar.
- 37:14 Effort from just outside the area by Edinson Cavani goes over the target.
- 35:53 Nigel De Jong challenges Ezequiel Lavezzi unfairly and gives away a free kick. Gokhan Inler takes the free kick.
- 34:26 Cristian Maggio gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Aleksandar Kolarov. Joe Hart takes the direct free kick.
- 32:35 Centre by Edin Dzeko, Paolo Cannavaro manages to make a clearance. David Silva takes a shot. Save by Morgan De Sanctis.
- 32:33 Assist on the goal came from David Silva.
- 32:33 GOAL - Mario Balotelli:Napoli 1 - 1 Man City Mario Balotelli finds the back of the net with a goal from inside the six-yard box low into the middle of the goal. Napoli 1-1 Man City.
- 31:01 Foul by Walter Gargano on James Milner, free kick awarded. Aleksandar Kolarov delivers the ball from the free kick left-footed from right wing, clearance made by Edinson Cavani.
- 29:53 Mario Balotelli takes a shot. Comfortable save by Morgan De Sanctis.
- 29:11 Unfair challenge on Vincent Kompany by Ezequiel Lavezzi results in a free kick. Direct free kick taken by Vincent Kompany.
- 28:36 Foul by Ezequiel Lavezzi on Aleksandar Kolarov, free kick awarded. Aleksandar Kolarov restarts play with the free kick.
- 27:23 David Silva produces a left-footed shot from just outside the box that goes wide left of the goal.
- 26:00 Short corner worked by David Silva.
- 25:45 The ball is swung over by James Milner, clearance made by Paolo Cannavaro.
- 23:08 Foul by Gnegneri Toure Yaya on Salvatore Aronica, free kick awarded. Free kick taken by Salvatore Aronica.
- 20:36 Pablo Zabaleta challenges Salvatore Aronica unfairly and gives away a free kick. Free kick taken by Salvatore Aronica.
- 19:32 David Silva takes a shot. Save by Morgan De Sanctis.
- 18:43 Edinson Cavani produces a right-footed shot from the edge of the box and misses to the right of the target.
- 16:54 Ezequiel Lavezzi provided the assist for the goal.
- 16:54 GOAL - Edinson Cavani:Napoli 1 - 0 Man City Edinson Cavani grabs a headed goal from close range. Napoli 1-0 Man City.
- Correction - 16:53 Ezequiel Lavezzi takes the inswinging corner,
- 16:43 Inswinging corner taken by Ezequiel Lavezzi from the left by-line played to the near post,
- 16:25 Gokhan Inler has an effort at goal from 35 yards. Save by Joe Hart.
- 15:22 Shot by Edin Dzeko from outside the box goes high over the crossbar.
- 14:39 Effort from 20 yards by Ezequiel Lavezzi. Vincent Kompany gets a block in.
- 14:22 Corner taken right-footed by Marek Hamsik from the right by-line, clearance by Joleon Lescott.
- 14:05 Andrea Dossena sends in a cross, Shot from inside the six-yard box by Ezequiel Lavezzi goes wide right of the goal.
- 13:45 Ezequiel Lavezzi crosses the ball.
- 13:26 Aleksandar Kolarov gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Cristian Maggio. Cristian Maggio takes the free kick.
- 11:16 Andrea Dossena challenges David Silva unfairly and gives away a free kick. Gnegneri Toure Yaya takes the direct free kick.
- 10:19 Ezequiel Lavezzi produces a right-footed shot from just outside the box that misses to the right of the target.
- 9:43 The ball is delivered by Aleksandar Kolarov, Paolo Cannavaro manages to make a clearance.
- Correction - 8:13 Cristian Maggio sends in a cross, Marek Hamsik takes a shot. Save made by Joe Hart.
- 8:13 The ball is sent over by Ezequiel Lavezzi, Marek Hamsik takes a shot. Save by Joe Hart.
- 6:23 Mario Balotelli has an effort at goal from just outside the box which goes wide of the right-hand post.
- 5:11 Long range effort by Gnegneri Toure Yaya goes wide right of the net.
- 4:32 Edin Dzeko crosses the ball, save made by Morgan De Sanctis.
- 3:07 Mario Balotelli concedes a free kick for a foul on Gokhan Inler. Gokhan Inler takes the direct free kick.
- 1:21 The ball is sent over by Pablo Zabaleta.
- 0:00 The game kicks-off.
Live text and data provided by The Press Association.
Champions League results
Champ Lge Group A table snapshot
Champ Lge Group B table snapshot
Champ Lge Group C table snapshot
Champ Lge Group D table snapshot
Champ Lge Group E table snapshot
Champ Lge Group F table snapshot
Champ Lge Group G table snapshot
|2||Zenit St P'sbg||4||2||7|
Champ Lge Group H table snapshot