Tottenham 1 - 0 Rubin Kazan
Page last updated at 20:56 GMT, Thursday, 20 October 2011 21:56 UK
A sensational first-half free-kick from Roman Pavlyuchenko put Tottenham top of Europa League Group A.
A much-changed Spurs side found it hard to settle against Rubin, who consistently threatened on the break.
However Russian Pavlyuchenko stunned his compatriots with an unstoppable 25-yard drive into the top corner.
Spurs goalkeeper Heurelho Gomes, making only his third start of the season, made a string of fine saves to earn his side an important victory.
With only two fit centre-backs available, Tottenham boss Harry Redknapp employed young midfielder Jake Livermore at the back alongside Sebastien Bassong but Spurs struggled against a seasoned Champions League outfit, who beat Barcelona at the Nou Camp in 2009-10 and continually worked their way between the home defence to create some golden opportunities.
Roman Sharonov rose unchallenged to head a corner wide, while diminutive winger Gokdeniz Karadeniz ghosted in with a diving header from the edge of the six-yard box that was acrobatically kept out by Gomes.
As expected, Livermore was comfortable in possession and he grew into his defensive role, but positional inexperience allowed Nelson Valdez to drift free and he should have tested Gomes more seriously with his close-range flick.
The lead up to the winning set-piece was curious as Portuguese referee Manuel De Sousa moved the ball back from two yards inside the D, where the foul on Danny Rose was clearly committed, to the outer edge.
However, it allowed Pavlyuchenko more space to keep the ball down after clearing the wall and his magnificent strike could not have been better placed as it arrowed into the very top corner of the goal.
EUROPA LEAGUE GROUP AContinue reading the main story
In a further twist, Rubin were insistent that Kyle Walker, who crouched behind the wall in front of the goalkeeper but dashed out of his eyeline before the ball was struck, should have been flagged offside.
After the break Gomes, relegated to third choice at White Hart Lane this term, smartly kept out a well-struck long range effort from Aleksandr Ryazantsev as the visitors continued to threaten.
The athletic Walker, one of Tottenham's more effective attacking elements with his raids from right-back, made a timely intervention after Rose had been dispossessed and even Aaron Lennon was needed to provide an interception in the danger zone to foil another attempt by the Russians.
Spurs often struggled to retain possession and find their customary fluency, but a fine ball from cultured central midfielder Tom Carroll freed Lennon in his more familiar role on the flank and he jinked past his man before sending a looping cross that Jermain Defoe headed goalwards, only for goalkeeper Sergei Ryzhikov to scramble clear.
Redknapp was determined to secure victory and sent on Younes Kaboul and star playmaker Luka Modric to shore things up.
The decision was fully justified when Kaboul's superb diving challenge thwarted substitute Obefami Martens, the former Newcastle and Birmingham striker, who was poised to shoot.
Tottenham manager Harry Redknapp:
"We wanted to get the points tonight and really I can look to send the kids over there to play." [in the return match in Russia on 3 November]
"It's a horrendous journey before you play on the Sunday. It's not what you want. It will be a good experience for some of the young players to go and I can save the senior ones for the game on the Sunday.
"I thought it was a good performance. We had to hang on a little at the end but I was pleased with us.
"When Pav lined it up I had a feeling he was going to score because he is a very clean striker of the football. I was pleased for Gomes. He was great tonight. I would like to think he still has a big future here."
Live text and stats
Thursday, 20 October 2011
|Home Team||Score||Away Team||Time|
- 01 Gomes
- 19 Bassong
- 28 Walker
- 07 Lennon (Modric 73)
- 25 Rose
- 29 Livermore
- 30 Sandro (Kaboul 73)
- 46 Carroll
- 09 Pavlyuchenko
- 17 Giovani (Assou-Ekotto 65)
- 18 Defoe
- 01 Ryzhikov
- 02 Kuzmin
- 04 Cesar Navas
- 27 Bocchetti yellow card
- 76 Sharonov yellow card
- 08 Ryazantsev (Eremenko 78 yellow card)
- 10 Kasaev (Martins 61)
- 16 Cristian Noboa
- 61 Karadeniz
- 66 Natcho
- 18 Valdez
- 24 Arlauskis,
- 67 Kverkvelia,
- 19 Kaleshin,
- 05 Martins,
- 20 Eremenko,
- 92 Orazsakhedov
- Tottenham 48%
- Rubin Kazan 52%
Attempts on target
- Tottenham 10
- Rubin Kazan 11
Attempts off target
- Tottenham 2
- Rubin Kazan 5
- Tottenham 7
- Rubin Kazan 7
- Tottenham 10
- Rubin Kazan 4
- Final Result
- Full Time
- 90:00+3:02 The referee brings the game to a close.
- 90:00+1:51 A cross is delivered by Oleg Kuzmin, clearance by Younes Kaboul.
- 90:00+0:22 Inswinging corner taken right-footed by Luka Modric, Gonzalez Cesar Navas manages to make a clearance.
- 86:54 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Gokdeniz Karadeniz by Kyle Walker. Shot comes in from Cristian Noboa from the free kick, save by Heurelho Gomes.
- 84:41 Shot by Benoit Assou-Ekotto. Save made by Sergei Ryzhikov.
- 84:07 Luka Modric takes a inswinging corner from the left by-line played to the near post, Nelson Haedo Valdez makes a clearance.
- 82:31 Obafemi Martins takes a shot. Younes Kaboul gets a block in. Inswinging corner taken by Bebras Natkho from the left by-line, Headed effort from deep inside the area by Obafemi Martins misses to the left of the goal.
- 81:34 Free kick taken by Benoit Assou-Ekotto.
- 81:34 Booking Booking for Alexei Eremenko.
- 81:26 Unfair challenge on Danny Rose by Alexei Eremenko results in a free kick.
- 77:37 Substitution Alexander Ryazantsev leaves the field to be replaced by Alexei Eremenko.
- 74:11 Roman Pavlyuchenko takes a shot. Gonzalez Cesar Navas gets a block in.
- 72:08 Substitution Aaron Lennon leaves the field to be replaced by Luka Modric.
- 72:08 Substitution Younes Kaboul comes on in place of Raniere Sandro.
- 71:05 Jermain Defoe takes a shot. Save by Sergei Ryzhikov. Outswinging corner taken left-footed by Benoit Assou-Ekotto, Sebastien Bassong takes a shot. Comfortable save by Sergei Ryzhikov.
- 69:59 Roman Pavlyuchenko concedes a free kick for a foul on Roman Sharonov. Direct free kick taken by Sergei Ryzhikov.
- 69:23 Alexander Ryazantsev takes a shot. Save by Heurelho Gomes.
- 64:42 Heurelho Gomes takes the direct free kick.
- 64:42 Substitution Benoit Assou-Ekotto on for Dos Santos Giovani.
- 64:42 The offside flag is raised against Gokdeniz Karadeniz.
- 64:09 The assistant referee signals for offside against Roman Pavlyuchenko. Roman Sharonov takes the indirect free kick.
- 63:00 The ball is delivered by Gokdeniz Karadeniz, clearance by Sebastien Bassong.
- 62:17 Cristian Noboa takes a shot. Blocked by Jake Livermore. Inswinging corner taken by Bebras Natkho.
- 62:07 Alexander Ryazantsev takes a shot. Blocked by Kyle Walker.
- 61:33 Gokdeniz Karadeniz fouled by Danny Rose, the ref awards a free kick. Oleg Kuzmin restarts play with the free kick.
- 60:12 Substitution Alan Kasaev leaves the field to be replaced by Obafemi Martins.
- 59:43 Centre by Alan Kasaev, Sebastien Bassong manages to make a clearance.
- 57:23 Oleg Kuzmin crosses the ball, clearance by Danny Rose.
- 55:21 Alexander Ryazantsev has an effort at goal from long range that goes wide left.
- 54:48 Corner taken right-footed by Bebras Natkho, save by Heurelho Gomes.
- 54:35 Alexander Ryazantsev takes a shot. Save made by Heurelho Gomes.
- 53:54 Roman Pavlyuchenko challenges Bebras Natkho unfairly and gives away a free kick. Bebras Natkho takes the free kick.
- 51:10 Roman Pavlyuchenko takes a shot. Cristian Noboa gets a block in.
- 49:41 Corner taken right-footed by Bebras Natkho, clearance made by Sebastien Bassong.
- 48:12 Corner from the left by-line taken by Dos Santos Giovani, Sebastien Bassong takes a shot. Salvatore Bocchetti gets a block in.
- 48:04 Roman Pavlyuchenko takes a shot. Roman Sharonov gets a block in.
- 47:09 Dos Santos Giovani delivers the ball, Oleg Kuzmin makes a clearance.
- 45:01 The referee gets the second half underway.
- Half Time
- 45:00+0:26 The match has reached half-time.
- 45:00+0:17 The ball is swung over by Kyle Walker, Gonzalez Cesar Navas makes a clearance.
- 44:53 Corner taken by Dos Santos Giovani from the right by-line.
- 44:41 Roman Pavlyuchenko has an effort at goal. Save made by Sergei Ryzhikov.
- 43:30 Corner taken right-footed by Bebras Natkho from the right by-line to the near post, Roman Pavlyuchenko makes a clearance.
- 41:08 Handball decision goes against Nelson Haedo Valdez. Salvatore Bocchetti has an effort direct from the free kick.
- 40:48 The ball is swung over by Alan Kasaev, Raniere Sandro manages to make a clearance.
- 37:16 Raniere Sandro gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Salvatore Bocchetti. Gonzalez Cesar Navas takes the free kick.
- 36:04 The offside flag is raised against Jermain Defoe. Free kick taken by Roman Sharonov.
- 35:35 Kyle Walker gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Alan Kasaev. Salvatore Bocchetti takes the direct free kick.
- 34:23 The assistant referee signals for offside against Gokdeniz Karadeniz. Heurelho Gomes restarts play with the free kick.
- 33:17 Booking Salvatore Bocchetti receives a caution for unsporting behaviour.
- 32:44 GOAL - Roman Pavlyuchenko:Tottenham 1 - 0 Rubin Kazan Roman Pavlyuchenko hits the back of the net with a goal direct from the free kick from just outside the area to the top right corner of the goal. Tottenham 1-0 Rubin Kazan.
- 31:21 Booking The referee books Roman Sharonov for unsporting behaviour.
- Correction - 30:43 Roman Sharonov concedes a free kick for a foul on Danny Rose.
- 30:43 Free kick awarded for a foul by Roman Sharonov on Dos Santos Giovani.
- 27:17 Alexander Ryazantsev fouled by Jake Livermore, the ref awards a free kick. Direct free kick taken by Gonzalez Cesar Navas.
- 26:39 Inswinging corner taken from the right by-line by Dos Santos Giovani, clearance made by Nelson Haedo Valdez.
- 25:45 Inswinging corner taken by Dos Santos Giovani, Nelson Haedo Valdez makes a clearance.
- 22:50 Centre by Alexander Ryazantsev, clearance made by Sebastien Bassong.
- 22:11 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Raniere Sandro by Cristian Noboa. Kyle Walker takes the direct free kick.
- 21:09 Salvatore Bocchetti takes a shot. Blocked by Jake Livermore.
- 20:17 Free kick awarded for a foul by Danny Rose on Gokdeniz Karadeniz. Free kick crossed right-footed by Bebras Natkho from right wing.
- 19:11 Nelson Haedo Valdez takes a shot. Save by Heurelho Gomes.
- 18:23 Jermain Defoe has an effort at goal from just inside the box that misses to the left of the goal.
- 16:37 Headed effort on goal by Nelson Haedo Valdez from just inside the box goes harmlessly over the target.
- 15:39 The offside flag is raised against Nelson Haedo Valdez. Jake Livermore takes the free kick.
- 15:22 Danny Rose concedes a free kick for a foul on Salvatore Bocchetti. Free kick taken by Oleg Kuzmin.
- 14:42 The ball is swung over by Gokdeniz Karadeniz, clearance by Jake Livermore.
- 14:29 Short corner taken by Bebras Natkho.
- 14:16 Gokdeniz Karadeniz takes a shot. Save by Heurelho Gomes.
- 10:22 Corner taken right-footed by Bebras Natkho from the right by-line, Header by Roman Sharonov from deep inside the penalty area misses to the left of the goal.
- 10:04 Bebras Natkho takes a shot. Save by Heurelho Gomes.
- 9:16 Danny Rose gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Gokdeniz Karadeniz. The free kick is swung in right-footed by Bebras Natkho, clearance made by Raniere Sandro.
- 7:14 Dos Santos Giovani takes a shot. Save made by Sergei Ryzhikov.
- 1:58 The referee penalises Raniere Sandro for handball. Free kick taken by Gonzalez Cesar Navas.
- 1:23 Roman Pavlyuchenko has an effort at goal from outside the area which goes wide left of the target.
- 1:08 Foul by Salvatore Bocchetti on Danny Rose, free kick awarded. Dos Santos Giovani restarts play with the free kick.
- 0:55 Nelson Haedo Valdez takes a shot. Save by Heurelho Gomes.
- 0:00 The ref blows the whistle to begin the match.
Live text and data provided by The Press Association.
Europa League results
AEK Larnaca0-5Schalke 04FT
Athletic Bilbao2-2SV SalzburgFT
AZ Alkmaar2-2Aust. ViennaFT
- Club Brugge1-2BirminghamFT
Hannover 962-2FC CopenhagenFT
Hapoel Tel-Aviv0-1PSV EindhovenFT
Lokomotiv Moscow3-1AEK AthensFT
Maccabi Haifa5-0Steaua BucharestFT
Malmo1-4FC Metalist KharkivFT
Odense BK1-4FC TwenteFT
PAOK Salonika2-1Shamrock RoversFT
Rapid Bucharest0-1Legia WarsawFT
SK Sturm Graz0-2AnderlechtFT
Slovan Bratislava0-0Paris SGFT
Standard Liege0-0Vorskla PoltavaFT
- Stoke3-0Macc Tel-AvivFT
- Tottenham1-0Rubin KazanFT
- Wisla Krakow1-0FulhamFT
Europa Group A table snapshot
Europa Group B table snapshot
Europa Group C table snapshot
Europa Group D table snapshot
Europa Group E table snapshot
Europa Group F table snapshot
Europa Group G table snapshot
|1||FC Metalist Kharkiv||3||4||7|
Europa Group H table snapshot
Europa Group I table snapshot
Europa Group J table snapshot
Europa Group K table snapshot
Europa Group L table snapshot
|3||SK Sturm Graz||3||-1||4|