Stoke 3 - 0 Macc Tel-Aviv
Page last updated at 20:57 GMT, Thursday, 20 October 2011 21:57 UK
Stoke took a giant stride towards the knockout phase of the Europa League with victory over Maccabi Tel-Aviv.
Kenwyne Jones headed in the opener from a Dean Whitehead corner, with Cameron Jerome nodding home Matthew Etherington's free-kick for the second.
A defensive error allowed Ryan Shotton to make it 3-0 before Jerome was sent off for a second booking.
Maccabi's Yoan Ziv also saw red in the second half for kicking a boot at the assistant referee.
The ease with which Stoke brushed aside their Israeli opponents bodes well for the return fixture in early November, when a win could could secure their passage to the last 32.
Tony Pulis again shuffled his pack, making seven changes from the side that beat Fulham on Saturday, and saw his side go ahead as early as the 12th minute.
Moments after a Jerome header came back off the crossbar, Jones rose unmarked at a corner to nod emphatically past Guy Haimov.
It was no surprise when Stoke made it two midway through the half, Jerome getting on the scoresheet when he took advantage of a feeble attempt by Maccabi to play offside to finish Etherington's in-swinging free-kick.
Maccabi could have got back in it soon after but Moussa Konate saw his shot saved when he perhaps should have fed Elran Atar, who had plenty of space in the box.
DID YOU KNOW?Continue reading the main story
Since making their European debut with a 3-1 win against Kaiserslautern on 13 September 1972, Stoke are unbeaten in six home games
However, it was only a matter of time before Stoke notched up a third, and Maccabi had goalkeeper Haimov to blame.
Racing out of his penalty area after a poor clearance, Haimov was beaten to the ball by Jerome, who rolled it to the waiting Shotton to fire a low shot past the goalkeeper.
Stoke were on the rampage but their night was soured by the referee's decision to show Jerome a second yellow card on the stroke of half time.
Tangling with Ziv, Cameron caught him with a flailing elbow, causing the Israeli defender to go down a little easily. However, the referee was in no doubt, much to the displeasure of the home fans.
With the Stoke supporters jeering Ziv's every subsequent touch, the pantomime atmosphere created by the home crowd reached a crescendo when Ziv was shown a straight red shortly after the break in extraordinary circumstances.
Riled by a decision that went against him, Ziv kicked his displaced boot at the assistant referee and, after a short consultation between the officials, he was given his marching orders and the loudest cheer of the night.
With both sides down to 10 men, Jones and Shotton each had chances to add a fourth but Maccabi repelled Stoke's attacks to keep the score respectable.
Live text and stats
Thursday, 20 October 2011
|Home Team||Score||Away Team||Time|
- 29 Sorensen
- 04 Huth yellow card (Walters 76)
- 17 Shawcross
- 20 Upson
- 30 Shotton
- 12 Wilson (Wilkinson 61)
- 15 Diao
- 18 Whitehead
- 26 Etherington (Palacios 79)
- 09 Jones
- 33 Jerome two yellow cards, red card
- 55 Haimov
- 02 Saban
- 14 Ziv red card
- 17 Pavicevic (Vered 64)
- 07 Israelevich (Micha 75 yellow card)
- 10 Haris
- 21 Yeyni
- 25 Dahan
- 44 Puncec
- 16 Atar (Colautti 41 yellow card)
- 18 Konate
- 01 Levy,
- 27 Vered,
- 13 Dabbur,
- 15 Micha,
- 19 Kahat,
- 23 Lugasi,
- 24 Colautti
- Stoke 56%
- Macc Tel-Aviv 44%
Attempts on target
- Stoke 7
- Macc Tel-Aviv 3
Attempts off target
- Stoke 7
- Macc Tel-Aviv 1
- Stoke 4
- Macc Tel-Aviv 3
- Stoke 12
- Macc Tel-Aviv 5
- Final Result
- Full Time
- 90:00+4:03 The match has reached full-time.
- 90:00+2:03 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Roberto Colautti by Ryan Shawcross. Direct free kick taken by Dor Micha.
- 90:00+0:48 Andy Wilkinson has an effort at goal from outside the area missing to the wide left of the goal.
- 87:37 The ball is crossed by Moussa Konate, Ryan Shawcross makes a clearance. Moussa Konate produces a cross, comfortable save by Thomas Sorensen.
- 87:13 The ball is sent over by Dean Whitehead, clearance made by Shiran Yeyni.
- 84:37 Matthew Upson challenges Moussa Konate unfairly and gives away a free kick. Haris Medunjanin restarts play with the free kick.
- 82:30 Kenwyne Jones takes a shot. Guy Haimov makes a save.
- 78:34 Substitution Matthew Etherington goes off and Wilson Palacios comes on.
- 77:30 Thomas Sorensen restarts play with the free kick.
- 77:30 Booking Roberto Colautti booked for dissent.
- 77:14 Booking Dor Micha shown a yellow card.
- 77:06 Dor Micha challenges Dean Whitehead unfairly and gives away a free kick.
- 76:14 Corner taken by Matthew Etherington, save by Guy Haimov.
- 75:37 Substitution Jonathan Walters joins the action as a substitute, replacing Robert Huth.
- 74:40 Substitution Dor Micha is brought on as a substitute for Guillermo Israelevich.
- 74:27 Moussa Konate produces a right-footed shot from the edge of the box and misses to the right of the goal.
- 73:32 Shot by Moussa Konate. Matthew Upson gets a block in.
- 68:21 Omer Vered takes the direct free kick.
- 68:21 Booking Robert Huth goes into the book.
- 68:04 Robert Huth gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Omer Vered.
- 66:21 Guillermo Israelevich concedes a free kick for a foul on Dean Whitehead. Direct free kick taken by Thomas Sorensen.
- 63:01 Matthew Etherington crosses the ball, Ryan Shawcross has a headed effort at goal from deep inside the area missing to the left of the target.
- 63:01 Substitution Omer Vered comes on in place of Savo Pavicevic.
- 63:01 Unfair challenge on Matthew Etherington by Klemi Saban results in a free kick.
- 60:49 Substitution Andy Wilkinson on for Marc Wilson.
- 60:26 The ball is swung over by Ryan Shotton, Headed effort from inside the area by Kenwyne Jones misses to the left of the goal.
- 58:14 Corner taken short by Guillermo Israelevich.
- 54:31 Sent off Yoav Ziv is shown a red card.
- 53:05 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Matthew Etherington by Klemi Saban. Marc Wilson takes the direct free kick.
- 52:14 Shot by Moussa Konate. Blocked by Salif Diao.
- 49:12 The official flags Yoav Ziv offside. Thomas Sorensen takes the free kick.
- 45:01 The referee gets the second half started.
- Half Time
- 45:00+2:08 The referee blows for half time.
- 43:56 Rafi Dahan has an effort at goal. Matthew Upson gets a block in.
- 43:35 Corner taken short by Haris Medunjanin.
- 42:10 Free kick taken by Shiran Yeyni.
- 42:10 Sent off The referee shows Cameron Jerome a red card.
- 41:46 Cameron Jerome concedes a free kick for a foul on Yoav Ziv.
- 40:36 Thomas Sorensen takes the indirect free kick.
- 40:36 Substitution Eliran Atar goes off and Roberto Colautti comes on.
- 40:36 The referee blows for offside against Moussa Konate.
- 39:44 Unfair challenge on Klemi Saban by Ryan Shotton results in a free kick. Shiran Yeyni restarts play with the free kick.
- 36:27 Matthew Etherington crosses the ball, Effort on goal by Cameron Jerome from inside the area goes harmlessly over the bar.
- 35:39 Matthew Etherington produces a cross, Kenwyne Jones takes a shot. Comfortable save by Guy Haimov.
- 35:20 Corner taken by Matthew Etherington from the right by-line.
- 35:05 Robert Huth has an effort at goal from 12 yards. Savo Pavicevic gets a block in.
- 34:43 A cross is delivered by Marc Wilson, Savo Pavicevic manages to make a clearance.
- 33:02 Free kick taken by Savo Pavicevic.
- 33:02 Booking Cameron Jerome receives a caution.
- 31:17 Cameron Jerome provided the assist for the goal. Foul by Cameron Jerome on Savo Pavicevic, free kick awarded.
- 31:17 GOAL - Ryan Shotton:Stoke 3 - 0 Macc Tel-Aviv Ryan Shotton scores a goal from inside the penalty box to the bottom left corner of the goal. Stoke 3-0 Maccabi Tel-Aviv.
- 30:26 Ryan Shawcross challenges Klemi Saban unfairly and gives away a free kick. Free kick taken by Guy Haimov.
- 28:26 Haris Medunjanin takes a short corner.
- 23:51 Assist on the goal came from Matthew Etherington.
- 23:51 GOAL - Cameron Jerome:Stoke 2 - 0 Macc Tel-Aviv Cameron Jerome finds the net with a headed goal from close in. Stoke 2-0 Maccabi Tel-Aviv.
- 23:21 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Ryan Shotton by Yoav Ziv. Matthew Etherington crosses the ball,
- 21:58 Headed effort from deep inside the area by Cameron Jerome misses to the left of the goal.
- 20:09 Inswinging corner taken from the left by-line by Ryan Shotton, Foul by Kenwyne Jones on Guy Haimov, free kick awarded. Guy Haimov takes the direct free kick.
- 18:19 Close range header by Kenwyne Jones goes wide of the left-hand post.
- 17:03 Cameron Jerome challenges Savo Pavicevic unfairly and gives away a free kick. Direct free kick taken by Guy Haimov.
- 14:47 The ball is swung over by Marc Wilson, Guy Haimov makes a save.
- 13:48 Foul by Ryan Shawcross on Eliran Atar, free kick awarded. Eliran Atar restarts play with the free kick.
- Correction - 11:15 Assist by Dean Whitehead. Cameron Jerome gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Savo Pavicevic. Savo Pavicevic takes the direct free kick.
- 11:15 The assist for the goal came from Ryan Shotton. Cameron Jerome gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Savo Pavicevic. Savo Pavicevic takes the free kick.
- 11:15 GOAL - Kenwyne Jones:Stoke 1 - 0 Macc Tel-Aviv Kenwyne Jones scores a headed goal from close in. Stoke 1-0 Maccabi Tel-Aviv.
- Correction - 10:47 Cameron Jerome takes a shot. Cameron Jerome takes a shot. Save by Guy Haimov. Corner taken by Dean Whitehead from the left by-line to the near post,
- 10:47 Cameron Jerome takes a shot. Cameron Jerome takes a shot. Save made by Guy Haimov. Ryan Shotton takes a inswinging corner from the left by-line to the near post,
- 10:08 Ryan Shotton sends in a cross.
- 9:26 Matthew Etherington delivers the ball, clearance made by Klemi Saban.
- 5:32 The official flags Eliran Atar offside. Thomas Sorensen takes the free kick.
- Correction - 2:01 Yoav Ziv fouled by Dean Whitehead, the ref awards a free kick. Savo Pavicevic restarts play with the free kick.
- 2:01 Unfair challenge on Roberto Puncec by Dean Whitehead results in a free kick. Direct free kick taken by Savo Pavicevic.
- 0:00 The match has kicked off.
Live text and data provided by The Press Association.
Europa League results
AEK Larnaca0-5Schalke 04FT
Athletic Bilbao2-2SV SalzburgFT
AZ Alkmaar2-2Aust. ViennaFT
- Club Brugge1-2BirminghamFT
Hannover 962-2FC CopenhagenFT
Hapoel Tel-Aviv0-1PSV EindhovenFT
Lokomotiv Moscow3-1AEK AthensFT
Maccabi Haifa5-0Steaua BucharestFT
Malmo1-4FC Metalist KharkivFT
Odense BK1-4FC TwenteFT
PAOK Salonika2-1Shamrock RoversFT
Rapid Bucharest0-1Legia WarsawFT
SK Sturm Graz0-2AnderlechtFT
Slovan Bratislava0-0Paris SGFT
Standard Liege0-0Vorskla PoltavaFT
- Stoke3-0Macc Tel-AvivFT
- Tottenham1-0Rubin KazanFT
- Wisla Krakow1-0FulhamFT
Europa Group A table snapshot
Europa Group B table snapshot
Europa Group C table snapshot
Europa Group D table snapshot
Europa Group E table snapshot
Europa Group F table snapshot
Europa Group G table snapshot
|1||FC Metalist Kharkiv||3||4||7|
Europa Group H table snapshot
Europa Group I table snapshot
Europa Group J table snapshot
Europa Group K table snapshot
Europa Group L table snapshot
|3||SK Sturm Graz||3||-1||4|