Club Brugge 1 - 2 Birmingham
Page last updated at 19:56 GMT, Thursday, 20 October 2011 20:56 UK
Chris Wood scored a late winner as Birmingham sealed their second successive Europa League victory.
Joseph Akpala's low strike gave Brugge an early lead before David Murphy tapped home Chris Burke's low cross.
Adam Rooney and Nikola Zigic wasted golden chances before Wood fired in Marlon King's cross at the end.
But the game was marred by a head injury to Birmingham's Pablo Ibanez, who was stretchered off with his team-mate Guirane N'daw in tears.
The victory saw Birmingham become the first English side to win at Brugge's Jan Breydelstadion and join Brugge on six points at the top of Group H.
ENGLISH SIDES AT CLUB BRUGGEContinue reading the main story
- Club Brugge 3-1 West Brom, 1968
- Club Brugge 2-0 Chelsea, 1971
- Club Brugge 4-0 Ipswich, 1975
- Club Brugge 1-1 Liverpool, 1976
- Club Brugge 1-0 Nottingham Forest, 1984
- Club Brugge 2-1 Tottenham, 1984
- Club Brugge 1-0 Chelsea, 1995
Blues boss Chris Hughton brought in striker Zigic starting for his first game in the Europa League, while Boaz Myhill replaced Colin Doyle in goal after his error in the victory over Maribor.
But the former Hull keeper was beaten inside four minutes when Nabil Dirar's low cross was deftly flicked home by Akpala from eight yards out.
Brugge threatened to run away with the game as they picked holes in Blues' shaky backline, with Ibanez and Stephen Caldwell looking distinctly wobbly at the heart of the defence.
But the visitors fought their way back into the game and created a half chance when Keith Fahey blasted over from a clever corner rolled to the edge of the box.
And they snatched an equaliser in the 27th minute when Murphy sneaked into the box unmarked to finish of Burke's low cross at the back post.
It signalled a complete change as Birmingham took charge and went close to going in ahead at the break.
Murphy went close to a second with a 25-yard curling free-kick that was well saved by Colin Coosemans while Rooney blasted high and wide after racing clear onto a long ball.
Brugge regrouped at half time but could not find a way through a resolute Birmingham defence.
And the Blues wasted a glorious opportunity midway through the half when the lively Burke picked out Zigic on the penalty spot, only for the Serb to head just past the post.
Hughton showed his ambition by bringing on strikers Wood and King off the bench.
But the game was brought to sickening halt late in the game when Akpala clashed heads with Ibanez, who lay motionless on the pitch for 10 minutes before being stretchered off.
It looked like the game was going to peter out to a subdued finish until Wood's stunning late intervention.
King turned smartly on the right wing and his low shot was fired into the roof of the net by the New Zealander from six yards out.
Live text and stats
Thursday, 20 October 2011
|Home Team||Score||Away Team||Time|
- 01 Coosemans
- 02 Hogli
- 03 Almeback
- 18 Donk
- 28 Vansteenkiste (De Jonghe 60)
- 32 Odjija Ofoe
- 06 Zimling yellow card
- 08 Rafaelov (Meunier 63)
- 10 Dirar
- 11 Blondel yellow card (Deschilder 82)
- 15 Akpala
- 50 Dhoest,
- 16 Lestienne,
- 20 Van Acker,
- 26 Deschilder,
- 27 De Jonghe,
- 09 Vleminckx,
- 19 Meunier
- 01 Myhill
- 03 Murphy
- 04 Caldwell
- 05 Pablo (Ridgewell 90)
- 23 Spector yellow card
- 07 Burke
- 08 N'daw
- 15 Elliott yellow card
- 18 Fahey
- 17 Rooney (King 73)
- 19 Zigic yellow card (Wood 73)
- 13 Doyle,
- 06 Ridgewell,
- 11 Beausejour,
- 14 Gomis,
- 22 Redmond,
- 09 King,
- 39 Wood
- Club Brugge 53%
- Birmingham 47%
Attempts on target
- Club Brugge 5
- Birmingham 6
Attempts off target
- Club Brugge 5
- Birmingham 6
- Club Brugge 9
- Birmingham 8
- Club Brugge 4
- Birmingham 9
- Final Result
- Full Time
- 90:00+9:35 The referee signals the end of the game.
- Correction - 90:00+8:59 The assist for the goal came from Marlon King.
- Correction - 90:00+8:59 GOAL - Chris Wood:Club Brugge 1 - 2 Birmingham Chris Wood gets on the score sheet with a goal from close in to the top left corner of the goal. Club Brugge 1-2 Birmingham.
- 90:00+8:59 Assist on the goal came from Marlon King.
- 90:00+8:59 GOAL - Chris Wood:Club Brugge 1 - 2 Birmingham A goal is scored by Chris Wood from inside the box to the top left corner of the goal. Club Brugge 1-2 Birmingham.
- 90:00+7:51 Effort from the edge of the penalty area by Wade Elliott goes wide of the left-hand post.
- 90:00+6:30 The ball is crossed by Vadis Odjija Ofoe, Boaz Myhill gets a block in.
- 90:00+4:53 Joseph Akpala gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Wade Elliott. Wade Elliott restarts play with the free kick.
- 90:00+4:07 Corner taken by Wade Elliott from the left by-line, clearance by Jimmy De Jonghe.
- 90:00+3:28 Thomas Meunier takes a shot from deep inside the box clearing the bar.
- 90:00+2:43 Inswinging corner taken by Vadis Odjija Ofoe from the right by-line, Guirane N'Daw makes a clearance.
- 81:25 Colin Coosemans takes the free kick.
- 81:25 Substitution Liam Ridgewell on for Pablo Ibanez.
- 81:25 Substitution Jonathan Blondel leaves the field to be replaced by Fries Deschilder.
- 81:25 Booking Wade Elliott goes into the book for unsporting behaviour.
- 81:14 Wade Elliott concedes a free kick for a foul on Vadis Odjija Ofoe.
- 80:00 Centre by Chris Burke, blocked by Colin Coosemans.
- 79:18 Outswinging corner taken right-footed by Vadis Odjija Ofoe from the left by-line.
- 78:40 Corner taken right-footed by Vadis Odjija Ofoe, Steven Caldwell makes a clearance.
- 76:20 Chris Wood takes a shot. Save by Colin Coosemans.
- 74:51 Booking Booking for Jonathan Spector for dissent.
- 73:52 Effort from deep inside the area by Nabil Dirar misses to the right of the target.
- 72:03 Substitution Chris Wood is brought on as a substitute for Nikola Zigic.
- 72:03 Substitution Adam Rooney leaves the field to be replaced by Marlon King.
- 70:09 Inswinging corner taken right-footed by Vadis Odjija Ofoe, Boaz Myhill makes a save.
- 68:13 Foul by Guirane N'Daw on Vadis Odjija Ofoe, free kick awarded. Vadis Odjija Ofoe restarts play with the free kick.
- 67:06 Booking Booking for Niki Zimling for persistent infringement.
- 67:02 Handball decision goes against Niki Zimling. David Murphy takes the free kick.
- 66:20 Unfair challenge on Michael Almeback by Wade Elliott results in a free kick. Free kick taken by Ryan Donk.
- 62:44 Substitution Thomas Meunier joins the action as a substitute, replacing Lior Rafaelov.
- 62:24 Keith Fahey has an effort at goal from outside the penalty box missing to the wide right of the target.
- 61:40 Corner taken by Wade Elliott, Joseph Akpala manages to make a clearance.
- 59:42 Substitution (Club Brugge) makes a substitution, with Jimmy De Jonghe coming on for Jannes Vansteenkiste.
- 58:48 Nikola Zigic has a headed effort at goal from just inside the penalty area that misses to the left of the target.
- 55:33 The referee blows for offside against Chris Burke. Colin Coosemans restarts play with the free kick.
- 55:05 Nikola Zigic concedes a free kick for a foul on Michael Almeback. Free kick taken by Ryan Donk.
- 53:52 Unfair challenge on Ryan Donk by Pablo Ibanez results in a free kick. The free kick is delivered right-footed by Tom Hogli from own half.
- 52:14 Corner taken by Wade Elliott from the right by-line, clearance made by Colin Coosemans.
- 51:38 A cross is delivered by Jannes Vansteenkiste.
- 48:48 The referee blows for offside against Joseph Akpala. Indirect free kick taken by Boaz Myhill.
- 47:53 Short corner worked by Vadis Odjija Ofoe.
- 47:23 Foul by Keith Fahey on Lior Rafaelov, free kick awarded. Free kick taken by Jannes Vansteenkiste.
- 46:10 Nabil Dirar takes a shot. Boaz Myhill makes a save.
- 45:01 The second half kicks off.
- Half Time
- 45:00+0:04 The players leave the pitch at half time.
- 44:06 Vadis Odjija Ofoe produces a right-footed shot from outside the penalty box and misses wide left of the target.
- 41:23 Effort from inside the area by Adam Rooney misses to the right of the goal.
- 39:33 Wade Elliott takes the inswinging corner, Steven Caldwell gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Michael Almeback. Colin Coosemans restarts play with the free kick.
- 38:43 Chris Burke takes a shot. Save by Colin Coosemans.
- 38:06 Shot on goal by Adam Rooney from inside the box goes harmlessly over the target.
- 36:58 Corner taken right-footed by Wade Elliott from the right by-line, clearance by Ryan Donk.
- 36:21 Joseph Akpala challenges Nikola Zigic unfairly and gives away a free kick. Direct free kick taken by Wade Elliott.
- 34:20 Strike comes in from Vadis Odjija Ofoe from the free kick, Boaz Myhill makes a save.
- 34:20 Booking Nikola Zigic is cautioned.
- 34:19 Nikola Zigic gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Vadis Odjija Ofoe.
- 32:37 Corner taken by Wade Elliott, Colin Coosemans makes a save.
- 32:20 Jonathan Spector delivers the ball, clearance made by Ryan Donk.
- 30:50 David Murphy produces a shot on goal direct from the free kick, save by Colin Coosemans.
- 30:50 Booking Booking for Jonathan Blondel for unsporting behaviour.
- 30:42 Foul by Jonathan Blondel on Keith Fahey, free kick awarded.
- 28:37 Shot from outside the area by Niki Zimling misses to the left of the goal.
- 27:34 Corner taken left-footed by Jonathan Blondel from the right by-line, save by Boaz Myhill.
- 27:25 Nabil Dirar crosses the ball, clearance made by Wade Elliott.
- 25:23 Wade Elliott provided the assist for the goal.
- 25:23 GOAL - David Murphy:Club Brugge 1 - 1 Birmingham A goal is scored by David Murphy from deep inside the penalty area to the bottom left corner of the goal. Club Brugge 1-1 Birmingham.
- Correction - 23:46 Vadis Odjija Ofoe takes a shot. Save by Boaz Myhill.
- 23:46 Vadis Odjija Ofoe takes a shot. Save made by Boaz Myhill.
- 22:58 Corner taken by Jannes Vansteenkiste from the right by-line.
- 22:08 Corner from the right by-line taken by Jonathan Blondel, Jannes Vansteenkiste takes a shot. Boaz Myhill makes a clearance.
- 22:01 Nabil Dirar sends in a cross, Pablo Ibanez manages to make a clearance.
- 20:02 Outswinging corner taken by Wade Elliott, clearance made by Ryan Donk.
- 16:28 Handball by Nikola Zigic. Colin Coosemans restarts play with the free kick.
- 14:16 Jonathan Blondel takes a shot. Save made by Boaz Myhill.
- 12:34 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Joseph Akpala by Pablo Ibanez. Jonathan Blondel takes the direct free kick.
- 12:02 Wade Elliott takes a shot. Comfortable save by Colin Coosemans.
- 10:30 Inswinging corner taken right-footed by Adam Rooney from the right by-line, Effort on goal by Keith Fahey from inside the area goes harmlessly over the bar.
- 8:32 Shot from just outside the area by Nabil Dirar goes over the bar.
- 5:18 Lior Rafaelov decides to take the corner short.
- 2:31 The assist for the goal came from Nabil Dirar. Foul by Joseph Akpala on Pablo Ibanez, free kick awarded. Free kick taken by Boaz Myhill.
- 2:31 GOAL - Joseph Akpala:Club Brugge 1 - 0 Birmingham Joseph Akpala fires in a goal from close range to the bottom left corner of the goal. Club Brugge 1-0 Birmingham.
- 2:27 Centre by Nabil Dirar,
- 0:37 Centre by Nabil Dirar.
- 0:00 The game kicks-off.
Live text and data provided by The Press Association.
Europa League results
AEK Larnaca0-5Schalke 04FT
Athletic Bilbao2-2SV SalzburgFT
AZ Alkmaar2-2Aust. ViennaFT
- Club Brugge1-2BirminghamFT
Hannover 962-2FC CopenhagenFT
Hapoel Tel-Aviv0-1PSV EindhovenFT
Lokomotiv Moscow3-1AEK AthensFT
Maccabi Haifa5-0Steaua BucharestFT
Malmo1-4FC Metalist KharkivFT
Odense BK1-4FC TwenteFT
PAOK Salonika2-1Shamrock RoversFT
Rapid Bucharest0-1Legia WarsawFT
SK Sturm Graz0-2AnderlechtFT
Slovan Bratislava0-0Paris SGFT
Standard Liege0-0Vorskla PoltavaFT
- Stoke3-0Macc Tel-AvivFT
- Tottenham1-0Rubin KazanFT
- Wisla Krakow1-0FulhamFT
Europa Group A table snapshot
Europa Group B table snapshot
Europa Group C table snapshot
Europa Group D table snapshot
Europa Group E table snapshot
Europa Group F table snapshot
Europa Group G table snapshot
|1||FC Metalist Kharkiv||3||4||7|
Europa Group H table snapshot
Europa Group I table snapshot
Europa Group J table snapshot
Europa Group K table snapshot
Europa Group L table snapshot
|3||SK Sturm Graz||3||-1||4|