SC Otelul Galati 0 - 2 Man Utd
Page last updated at 21:41 GMT, Tuesday, 18 October 2011 22:41 UK
Wayne Rooney scored two penalties as Manchester United beat Otelul Galati to register their first Champions League win of the season.
After a low-key first half, Rooney netted from the spot after his cross was handled by Sergio Costin.
United soon went down to 10 men when Nemanja Vidic was harshly shown red for a foul on Gabriel Giurgiu.
Otelul's Milan Perendija received a second yellow before Rooney struck again after a foul by Liviu Antal.
LEADING ENGLISH CHAMPIONS LEAGUE SCORERSContinue reading the main story
- 26 - Wayne Rooney
- 24 - Paul Scholes
- 20 - Frank Lampard
- 19 - Steven Gerrard
Following draws against Benfica and Basle in their opening two group games, the victory will come as relief to United, but it was not a fluent display from Sir Alex Ferguson's side as they struggled to create chances against the organised Romanian champions.
Rooney, one of nine changes from the side that drew 1-1 with Liverpool on Saturday, found chances hard to come by as he was closely marked in Bucharest. However, he did produce the two moments of creativity which led to Otelul conceding the penalties.
United dominated possession early on but a loose pass from Vidic gifted Bratislav Punosevac the first shot on goal, 20 yards out, but his weak effort was easily gathered by Anders Lindegaard.
The visitors stayed on top, but struggled to break through Otelul, who occasionally threatened themselves. United had their best chance of the half when Nani cut the ball back for Michael Carrick who should have done better than tamely shooting over.
But the Romanian side threatened again just before half-time as Liviu Antal out-jumped Patrice Evra only to head over.
There was more urgency from Ferguson's men early in the second half and Rooney was a pivotal figure. He came close from a Nani cross, when he spun and shot wide from 12 yards out.
BOOST IN BUCHARESTContinue reading the main story
- Manchester United have conceded one goal in their last eight Champions League away games.
- Sir Alex Ferguson's side have now won all three European games against Romanian opposition, having triumphed home and away against Dinamo Bucharest seven seasons ago.
The England striker then produced the moment that led to his first penalty, crossing from the left-hand edge of the 18-yard box.
Costin's hand prevented the ball reaching Javier Hernandez, with Rooney sending Branko Grahovac the wrong way with from the resulting spot-kick.
Two minutes later, the visitors were stunned as Vidic, returning to the United side after a calf injury, was shown a straight red card for a tackle on Giurgiu that, while high and late, did not appear to warrant a dismissal.
Otelul were lifted by the Serb's dismissal, with Antal's eight-yard attempt charged down by Carrick and Costin heading over when unmarked.
But after Perendija got his second yellow, Nani's 30-yard strike came back off the post before Rooney wrapped it up from the spot after being brought down by a tiring Antal.
Live text and stats
Tuesday, 18 October 2011
|Home Team||Score||Away Team||Time|
|SC Otelul Galati||0-2||Man Utd||FT|
SC Otelul Galati
- 12 Grahovac
- 03 Rapa yellow card
- 18 Costin yellow card
- 23 Salageanu
- 55 Perendija two yellow cards, red card
- 04 Filip
- 26 Neagu yellow card (Pena 72)
- 29 Giurgiu yellow card
- 08 Antal
- 11 Frunza (Ilie 83)
- 19 Punosevac (Iorga 87)
- 01 Branet,
- 02 Skubic,
- 16 Sarghi,
- 27 Pena,
- 07 Iorga,
- 14 Ilie,
- 37 Viglianti
- 34 Lindegaard
- 03 Evra
- 12 Smalling
- 15 Vidic red card
- 20 Fabio Da Silva (Jones 76)
- 08 Anderson
- 16 Carrick yellow card
- 17 Nani
- 25 Valencia (Evans 71)
- 10 Rooney
- 14 Hernandez
- SC Otelul Galati 39%
- Man Utd 61%
Attempts on target
- SC Otelul Galati 4
- Man Utd 5
Attempts off target
- SC Otelul Galati 7
- Man Utd 5
- SC Otelul Galati 2
- Man Utd 1
- SC Otelul Galati 17
- Man Utd 10
- Final Result
- Full Time
- 90:00+4:18 The game is over, as the referee blows his whistle.
- 90:00+3:40 Ioan Filip takes a shot. Phil Jones gets a block in.
- 90:00+2:23 Shot from outside the box by Marius Pena misses to the left of the goal.
- 90:00+2:00 GOAL - Wayne Rooney:SC Otelul Galati 0 - 2 Man Utd Penalty taken right-footed by Wayne Rooney and scored. Otelul Galati 0-2 Man Utd.
- 90:00+0:54 Wayne Rooney fouled by Liviu Antal, the ref awards a Penalty.
- 90:00+0:23 Cornel Rapa challenges Luis Nani unfairly and gives away a free kick. Free kick taken by Wayne Rooney.
- 89:45 Luis Nani takes a shot.
- 88:34 Oliveira Anderson restarts play with the free kick.
- 88:34 Sent off Milan Perendija shown a red card for second bookable offence.
- 88:14 Free kick awarded for a foul by Milan Perendija on Javier Hernandez.
- 87:48 Liviu Antal is adjudged to have handled the ball. Anders Lindegaard takes the direct free kick.
- 87:23 Ioan Filip delivers the ball.
- 86:49 Substitution Laurentiu Iorga is brought on as a substitute for Bratislav Punosevac.
- 86:35 Oliveira Anderson takes a shot from 35 yards and went wide of the left-hand post.
- 86:04 Milan Perendija gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Javier Hernandez. Wayne Rooney takes the free kick.
- 84:29 A cross is delivered by Luis Nani, Milan Perendija manages to make a clearance.
- 82:52 Substitution Sorin Frunza leaves the field to be replaced by Silviu Ilie.
- 81:31 Ioan Filip sends in a cross, Effort from inside the area by Bratislav Punosevac misses to the right of the target.
- 80:06 Luis Nani has an effort direct from the free kick, Branko Grahovac makes a comfortable save.
- 80:06 Booking Gabriel Giurgiu is shown a yellow card.
- 80:05 Free kick awarded for a foul by Gabriel Giurgiu on Javier Hernandez.
- 77:42 Milan Perendija concedes a free kick for a foul on Javier Hernandez. Free kick taken by Patrice Evra.
- 76:52 Ioan Filip delivers the ball, save made by Anders Lindegaard.
- 75:10 Substitution (Man Utd) makes a substitution, with Phil Jones coming on for Fabio Da Silva.
- 74:03 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Wayne Rooney by Cornel Rapa. Patrice Evra takes the free kick.
- Correction - 73:06 Sorin Frunza takes a outswinging corner to the near post, Headed effort from deep inside the penalty area by Marius Pena goes harmlessly over the crossbar.
- 73:06 Outswinging corner taken left-footed by Sorin Frunza played to the near post, Gabriel Giurgiu produces a header from inside the area that goes over the bar.
- 71:38 Substitution Marius Pena joins the action as a substitute, replacing Ionut Neagu.
- 71:05 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Milan Perendija by Javier Hernandez. Free kick taken by Milan Perendija.
- 70:49 Substitution Jonathan Evans comes on in place of Antonio Valencia.
- 70:16 Ionut Neagu delivers the ball.
- 68:37 Ioan Filip produces a right-footed shot from just outside the box that goes wide left of the goal.
- 67:05 Shot by Bratislav Punosevac. Michael Carrick gets a block in.
- 66:18 Free kick crossed left-footed by Sorin Frunza, Chris Smalling makes a clearance.
- 66:18 Sent off Nemanja Vidic receives a red card for serious foul play.
- 65:46 Foul by Nemanja Vidic on Gabriel Giurgiu, free kick awarded.
- 65:05 Bratislav Punosevac concedes a free kick for a foul on Chris Smalling. Anders Lindegaard takes the free kick.
- 63:56 GOAL - Wayne Rooney:SC Otelul Galati 0 - 1 Man Utd Placed penalty scored by Wayne Rooney. Otelul Galati 0-1 Man Utd.
- 63:04 Booking The referee shows Sergiu Costin a yellow card.
- 62:57 Handball by Sergiu Costin.
- 62:12 Shot by Wayne Rooney from deep inside the penalty area misses to the left of the goal.
- 61:36 Luis Nani takes the free kick.
- 61:36 Booking The referee books Ionut Neagu for unsporting behaviour.
- 61:20 Luis Nani fouled by Ionut Neagu, the ref awards a free kick.
- 58:02 The ball is swung over by Luis Nani, Branko Grahovac makes a save.
- 55:56 Bratislav Punosevac is caught offside. Indirect free kick taken by Nemanja Vidic.
- 55:12 Free kick taken by Chris Smalling.
- 55:12 Booking Milan Perendija receives a caution.
- 55:07 Free kick awarded for a foul by Milan Perendija on Wayne Rooney.
- 54:00 Sorin Frunza delivers the ball from the free kick left-footed from right wing, Chris Smalling manages to make a clearance.
- 54:00 Booking Michael Carrick is cautioned by the ref for unsporting behaviour.
- 53:53 Unfair challenge on Liviu Antal by Michael Carrick results in a free kick.
- 53:27 Corner from the right by-line taken by Oliveira Anderson, Milan Perendija manages to make a clearance.
- 53:11 The ball is crossed by Antonio Valencia, Bratislav Punosevac gets a block in.
- 51:15 Free kick crossed by Luis Nani, Branko Grahovac makes a save.
- 51:15 Booking Cornel Rapa goes into the book.
- 50:59 Cornel Rapa concedes a free kick for a foul on Luis Nani.
- 50:26 The referee penalises Antonio Valencia for handball. Branko Grahovac takes the free kick.
- 45:13 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Oliveira Anderson by Ionut Neagu. Free kick taken by Nemanja Vidic.
- 45:01 The referee gets the second half underway.
- Half Time
- 45:00+0:05 The half-time whistle blows.
- 44:29 The official flags Bratislav Punosevac offside. Anders Lindegaard takes the free kick.
- 42:38 Inswinging corner taken left-footed by Sorin Frunza from the right by-line, Liviu Antal produces a header from inside the area that goes over the crossbar.
- 42:30 The ball is swung over by Adrian Salageanu, Michael Carrick manages to make a clearance.
- 41:54 Luis Nani takes a shot. Save by Branko Grahovac.
- 41:15 Michael Carrick produces a right-footed shot from inside the area that clears the crossbar.
- 40:36 Liviu Antal is adjudged to have handled the ball. Nemanja Vidic takes the free kick.
- 39:46 Sergiu Costin fouled by Javier Hernandez, the ref awards a free kick. Branko Grahovac takes the free kick.
- 38:52 Free kick awarded for a foul by Patrice Evra on Liviu Antal. Branko Grahovac takes the direct free kick.
- 37:02 Centre by Antonio Valencia, Adrian Salageanu gets a block in. Free kick awarded for a foul by Antonio Valencia on Gabriel Giurgiu. Gabriel Giurgiu takes the direct free kick.
- 36:17 Luis Nani challenges Cornel Rapa unfairly and gives away a free kick. Branko Grahovac takes the free kick.
- 34:54 Patrice Evra takes a shot. Save made by Branko Grahovac.
- 32:06 The ball is crossed by Luis Nani, Milan Perendija gets a block in.
- 31:26 The ball is delivered by Ionut Neagu, save by Anders Lindegaard.
- 30:46 The ball is swung over by Sorin Frunza, clearance by Nemanja Vidic.
- 29:27 Free kick awarded for a foul by Ionut Neagu on Michael Carrick. Shot on goal comes in from Wayne Rooney from the free kick, brilliant save by Branko Grahovac.
- 28:52 Wayne Rooney takes a shot. Blocked by Sergiu Costin.
- 27:56 The assistant referee signals for offside against Sorin Frunza. Indirect free kick taken by Nemanja Vidic.
- 27:19 A cross is delivered by Luis Nani.
- 26:39 Effort on goal by Ioan Filip from just outside the area goes harmlessly over the target.
- 26:18 Gabriel Giurgiu takes a shot. Blocked by Chris Smalling.
- 26:07 The ball is swung over by Ionut Neagu, clearance by Chris Smalling.
- 25:26 Chris Smalling concedes a free kick for a foul on Bratislav Punosevac. Direct free kick taken by Sorin Frunza.
- 24:49 Centre by Patrice Evra, free kick awarded for a foul by Fabio Da Silva on Sergiu Costin. Direct free kick taken by Branko Grahovac.
- 24:14 A cross is delivered by Luis Nani.
- 23:34 The ball is crossed by Antonio Valencia, blocked by Sergiu Costin.
- 18:30 Ioan Filip challenges Michael Carrick unfairly and gives away a free kick. Free kick taken by Oliveira Anderson.
- 17:14 Foul by Bratislav Punosevac on Fabio Da Silva, free kick awarded. Free kick taken by Fabio Da Silva.
- 16:23 Unfair challenge on Nemanja Vidic by Liviu Antal results in a free kick. Nemanja Vidic takes the direct free kick.
- 14:49 Bratislav Punosevac takes a shot. Comfortable save by Anders Lindegaard.
- 12:43 Oliveira Anderson has an effort at goal from outside the box which goes wide right of the target.
- Correction - 11:25 Bratislav Punosevac takes a shot. Comfortable save by Anders Lindegaard.
- 11:25 Bratislav Punosevac takes a shot. Save by Anders Lindegaard.
- 9:25 Unfair challenge on Bratislav Punosevac by Chris Smalling results in a free kick. Direct free kick taken by Gabriel Giurgiu.
- 7:38 The ball is sent over by Luis Nani, save made by Branko Grahovac.
- 7:31 The ball is sent over by Antonio Valencia.
- 4:26 Fabio Da Silva crosses the ball, clearance by Sergiu Costin.
- 2:08 The official flags Fabio Da Silva offside. Branko Grahovac takes the free kick.
- 1:21 Gabriel Giurgiu concedes a free kick for a foul on Nemanja Vidic. Nemanja Vidic takes the direct free kick.
- 0:00 The game gets underway.
Live text and data provided by The Press Association.
Champions League results
Champ Lge Group A table snapshot
Champ Lge Group B table snapshot
Champ Lge Group C table snapshot
|4||SC Otelul Galati||3||-4||0|
Champ Lge Group D table snapshot
Champ Lge Group E table snapshot
Champ Lge Group F table snapshot
Champ Lge Group G table snapshot
|2||Zenit St P'sbg||2||1||3|
Champ Lge Group H table snapshot
19 October 11Football
18 October 11Football
18 October 11Football
17 October 11Football
16 October 11Football
15 October 11Football
11 August 10Football