Bayern Munich 2 - 0 Man City
Page last updated at 20:38 GMT, Tuesday, 27 September 2011 21:38 UK
Mario Gomez scored twice as Manchester City were given a rude awakening by Bayern Munich in the Champions League.
City had two penalty appeals in the first half but could not deal with Bayern's swift attacking play.
Gomez poked in on 38 minutes after Joe Hart saved Franck Ribery's fierce shot and the forward reacted quickest to another Hart stop before half-time.
City were outclassed thereafter and Roberto Mancini said that substitute Carlos Tevez refused to play.
The Italian boss explained that Tevez stayed on the bench after he planned to introduce the Argentine in the second half.
That startling admission capped a miserable night for City as they arrived in Germany following an unbeaten start to the season.
But they came up against an impressive force in Bayern, who extended their run to 10 wins on the trot, having scored 28 goals in the process and conceding none.
Gomez's goals were his 10th and 11th of the season but only Hart's excellence prevented that total being extended, as the four-time European Cup winners flexed their muscles.
City boss Roberto Mancini
I wanted to calm everything and after put Carlos Tevez on the pitch. He refused to go on. For me it is a bad situation... I can't accept this
Not only were Jupp Heynckes' team pacey in attack but they were relentless in their pursuit of the ball once they had lost it, and as the game wore on they merely increased their dominance as City wilted in the Allianz Arena.
Although it was only City's second appearance in the Champions League, they had plenty of European experience in their ranks and they were confident in possession early on.
They had two decent penalty appeals in the first period, when former City defender Jerome Boateng seemed to catch David Silva in the first minute when he cut back from the byline, and then blocked a surging run by Micah Richards.
Edin Dzeko tested Manuel Neuer after good work by Richards but the pace of their attacks was far slower than those of Bayern, who were quick to counter down the flanks.
Neither Samir Nasri nor David Silva are renowned for their defensive qualities and Ribery and Thomas Mueller began to get at City full-backs Richards and Gael Clichy easily.
And seven minutes before the break, with more space becoming apparent Ribery helped set up the opener from the left.
Cutting in, the French international drew a fine save from Hart, who then immediately stopped Mueller's follow-up effort, but he could do nothing to prevent Gomez pouncing.
Bayern were quicker to react in that case, and overall during the game, and did so once more just before half-time to leave Hart furious.
GROUP A RESULTContinue reading the main story
In the other Champions League Group A match Napoli beat Villarreal 2-0 with Marek Hamsik and Edinson Cavani on target
Dzeko conceded a free-kick deep on the Bayern left and when Daniel van Buyten nipped in ahead of Gareth Barry to nod the set piece towards goal, Hart again saved well but Gomez poked into the net.
In the build-up to the game Mancini said that he was keen to get at Bayern, but his side's attacking prowess was eclipsed by the ignorance of their defensive responsibilities.
With that in mind, it was perhaps a surprise that Mancini named such an attacking line-up and once he altered things in the second half by introducing Nigel de Jong in place of Dzeko it seemed to make the situation worse.
Bayern began to crawl all over City and with Sergio Aguero as their only outlet, they struggled to contain their opponents.
Hart provided the only real resistance to deny Gomez his hat-trick and others eager to get on the scoresheet.
Bastian Schweinsteiger and Muller were among many who should have added the third, and City were limited to rare forays with the excellent Boateng pinching the ball off Aguero and Aleksandar Kolarov shooting wide in stoppage time.
It was a poor showing by City, who were very open for most of the game, but Tevez's refusal to play will cast the biggest shadow and his future at the club must now be in real doubt.
Live text and stats
Tuesday, 27 September 2011
|Home Team||Score||Away Team||Time|
|Bayern Munich||2-0||Man City||FT|
- 01 Neuer
- 05 Van Buyten
- 13 Rafinha
- 17 Boateng
- 21 Lahm
- 07 Ribery (Robben 90)
- 30 Dias
- 31 Schweinsteiger
- 39 Kroos (Tymoschuk 82)
- 25 Mueller
- 33 Gomez (Petersen 90+2)
- 22 Butt,
- 26 Contento,
- 14 Usami,
- 27 Alaba,
- 44 Tymoschuk,
- 09 Petersen,
- 10 Robben
- 25 Hart
- 02 Richards
- 04 Kompany
- 22 Clichy yellow card
- 28 K Toure yellow card
- 18 Barry (Kolarov 73)
- 19 Nasri (Milner 69)
- 21 Silva
- 42 Y Toure yellow card
- 10 Dzeko (De Jong 55)
- 16 Aguero yellow card
- Bayern Munich 50%
- Man City 50%
Attempts on target
- Bayern Munich 12
- Man City 6
Attempts off target
- Bayern Munich 7
- Man City 1
- Bayern Munich 3
- Man City 1
- Bayern Munich 10
- Man City 17
- Final Result
- Full Time
- 90:00+2:07 The referee ends the match.
- 90:00+1:58 Substitution Mario Gomez goes off and Nils Petersen comes on.
- 90:00+1:30 Effort from deep inside the area by Aleksandar Kolarov misses to the right of the target.
- 90:00+0:40 James Milner delivers the ball, save by Manuel Neuer.
- 89:10 Substitution Franck Ribery goes off and Arjen Robben comes on.
- 87:45 David Silva challenges Luiz Gustavo unfairly and gives away a free kick. Luiz Gustavo restarts play with the free kick.
- 83:57 Free kick awarded for a foul by Bastian Schweinsteiger on Nigel De Jong. Nigel De Jong restarts play with the free kick.
- 83:01 Shot by Aleksandar Kolarov. Save made by Manuel Neuer.
- 81:57 Substitution Anatoliy Tymoschuk joins the action as a substitute, replacing Toni Kroos.
- 79:53 Micah Richards fouled by Toni Kroos, the ref awards a free kick. Joe Hart takes the direct free kick.
- 77:39 A cross is delivered by Toni Kroos, Mario Gomez takes a shot. Joe Hart makes a fantastic save.
- 77:39 Booking Kolo Toure booked for unsporting behaviour.
- 77:28 Franck Ribery fouled by Kolo Toure, the ref awards a free kick.
- 76:35 Direct free kick taken by Philip Lahm.
- 76:35 Booking The referee books Gnegneri Toure Yaya for unsporting behaviour.
- 76:28 Gnegneri Toure Yaya gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Franck Ribery.
- 76:12 Unfair challenge on Franck Ribery by Kolo Toure results in a free kick. Direct free kick taken by Toni Kroos.
- 73:36 Foul by Luiz Gustavo on Aleksandar Kolarov, free kick awarded. Free kick crossed right-footed by James Milner, save made by Manuel Neuer.
- 73:11 Free kick awarded for a foul by Jerome Boateng on Sergio Aguero. Gael Clichy takes the free kick.
- 72:11 Substitution Aleksandar Kolarov joins the action as a substitute, replacing Gareth Barry.
- 72:11 Outswinging corner taken by Toni Kroos from the right by-line.
- 71:44 Drilled right-footed shot by Bastian Schweinsteiger. Save by Joe Hart.
- 68:49 Substitution James Milner on for Samir Nasri.
- 66:44 Marcio Rafinha takes the free kick.
- 66:44 Booking Gael Clichy receives a yellow card for unsporting behaviour.
- 66:35 Unfair challenge on Thomas Muller by Gael Clichy results in a free kick.
- 66:05 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Philip Lahm by Gareth Barry. Philip Lahm takes the direct free kick.
- 61:39 Foul by Thomas Muller on Gael Clichy, free kick awarded. Gael Clichy takes the free kick.
- 60:36 Philip Lahm takes a shot. Save made by Joe Hart.
- 59:40 Gareth Barry gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Franck Ribery. Philip Lahm restarts play with the free kick.
- 57:57 Inswinging corner taken by Toni Kroos from the left by-line, Kolo Toure manages to make a clearance.
- 57:07 The ball is delivered by Philip Lahm, Close range effort by Mario Gomez goes wide of the left-hand upright.
- 56:23 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Franck Ribery by David Silva. Direct free kick taken by Philip Lahm.
- 54:50 Substitution Nigel De Jong is brought on as a substitute for Edin Dzeko.
- 54:02 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Bastian Schweinsteiger by Samir Nasri. The free kick is swung in right-footed by Toni Kroos, clearance by Kolo Toure.
- 52:59 Free kick awarded for a foul by Marcio Rafinha on Edin Dzeko. Gael Clichy restarts play with the free kick.
- 51:44 Gareth Barry challenges Bastian Schweinsteiger unfairly and gives away a free kick. Direct free kick taken by Bastian Schweinsteiger.
- 50:14 Free kick awarded for a foul by Samir Nasri on Marcio Rafinha. Direct free kick taken by Marcio Rafinha.
- 48:12 Effort on goal by Philip Lahm from outside the penalty box goes harmlessly over the bar.
- 47:40 Sergio Aguero gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Daniel Van Buyten. Free kick taken by Bastian Schweinsteiger.
- 46:57 Unfair challenge on Franck Ribery by David Silva results in a free kick. Free kick taken by Manuel Neuer.
- 45:01 The game restarts for the second half.
- Half Time
- 45:00+1:46 The ref blows to end the first period.
- 45:00+0:43 GOAL - Mario Gomez:Bayern Munich 2 - 0 Man City Mario Gomez scores a goal from inside the six-yard box to the bottom left corner of the goal. Bayern Munich 2-0 Man City.
- 44:48 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Philip Lahm by Edin Dzeko. The ball is sent over by Toni Kroos, Luiz Gustavo takes a shot. Save made by Joe Hart.
- 41:58 Bastian Schweinsteiger takes the free kick.
- 41:58 Booking The referee shows Sergio Aguero a yellow card.
- 41:41 Sergio Aguero concedes a free kick for a foul on Bastian Schweinsteiger.
- 40:50 Shot by Edin Dzeko. Jerome Boateng gets a block in.
- 37:55 GOAL - Mario Gomez:Bayern Munich 1 - 0 Man City Mario Gomez finds the net with a goal from close in low into the middle of the goal. Bayern Munich 1-0 Man City.
- 37:51 Thomas Muller takes a shot. Save by Joe Hart.
- 37:36 Franck Ribery produces a drilled right-footed shot from 25 yards. Save made by Joe Hart.
- 36:01 Bastian Schweinsteiger produces a right-footed shot from inside the six-yard box that clears the bar.
- 34:16 Corner taken right-footed by Toni Kroos, Effort on goal by Franck Ribery from just inside the area clears the bar.
- 33:54 Franck Ribery sends in a cross, Thomas Muller has a volleyed shot. Vincent Kompany gets a block in.
- 32:22 Shot by Bastian Schweinsteiger from 25 yards. Save by Joe Hart.
- 30:28 Effort from 25 yards by Franck Ribery. Save made by Joe Hart.
- 28:42 A cross is delivered by Micah Richards, clearance made by Daniel Van Buyten.
- 26:48 The ball is sent over by Franck Ribery, save made by Joe Hart.
- 25:07 Effort on goal by Toni Kroos from outside the area goes harmlessly over the bar.
- 23:53 Free kick awarded for a foul by Luiz Gustavo on David Silva. Gnegneri Toure Yaya has an effort direct from the free kick, save by Manuel Neuer.
- 22:25 Free kick awarded for a foul by Toni Kroos on Gareth Barry. Gareth Barry takes the free kick.
- 20:08 Bastian Schweinsteiger is penalised for handball and concedes a free kick. Direct free kick taken by David Silva.
- 18:16 Shot by Bastian Schweinsteiger from a long way out goes over the crossbar.
- 16:20 Thomas Muller sends in a cross, Vincent Kompany manages to make a clearance.
- 14:50 Outswinging corner taken by Samir Nasri, Micah Richards takes a shot. Save by Manuel Neuer.
- 14:31 Edin Dzeko takes a shot. Blocked by Luiz Gustavo.
- 14:02 Centre by Gael Clichy, Jerome Boateng makes a clearance.
- 13:03 Marcio Rafinha sends in a cross.
- 12:35 Thomas Muller sends in a cross, clearance by Kolo Toure.
- 10:05 Shot from just outside the box by Marcio Rafinha goes over the bar.
- 8:37 Shot by Bastian Schweinsteiger from 35 yards. Save made by Joe Hart.
- 6:20 David Silva gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Toni Kroos. Franck Ribery takes the free kick.
- 3:34 A cross is delivered by Micah Richards, Effort on goal by Edin Dzeko from 12 yards. Save by Manuel Neuer.
- 2:56 Foul by Luiz Gustavo on Sergio Aguero, free kick awarded. Gareth Barry restarts play with the free kick.
- 2:39 The ball is delivered by Gael Clichy, clearance made by Bastian Schweinsteiger.
- 1:02 Free kick awarded for a foul by Toni Kroos on Gareth Barry. Gnegneri Toure Yaya restarts play with the free kick.
- 0:38 Gareth Barry gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Luiz Gustavo. Direct free kick taken by Luiz Gustavo.
- 0:00 The match gets underway.
Live text and data provided by The Press Association.
Champions League results
Champ Lge Group A table snapshot
Champ Lge Group B table snapshot
Champ Lge Group C table snapshot
|4||SC Otelul Galati||2||-2||0|
Champ Lge Group D table snapshot
Champ Lge Group E table snapshot
Champ Lge Group F table snapshot
Champ Lge Group G table snapshot
|4||Zenit St P'sbg||1||-1||0|
Champ Lge Group H table snapshot