Stoke 4 - 1 FC Thun (agg 5 - 1)
Page last updated at 22:40 GMT, Thursday, 25 August 2011 23:40 UK
Stoke City will be in Friday's draw for the group stage of the Europa League after comfortably defeating FC Thun.
Tony Pulis's team won 1-0 in the first leg and added to their advantage when Matthew Upson headed his team in front.
Kenwyne Jones extended Stoke's lead before the break with a diving header from a Jermaine Pennant cross.
Glenn Whelan made it 3-0 with a strike from the edge of the area and Jones headed his second before Andreas Wittwer scored a consolation.
Danny Pugh scored the only goal in the first leg in Switzerland but the return match was anything but close.
Marc Schneider had an early effort blocked as FC Thun tried to prise their way back to the tie but after Upson's opener the Premier League club took control through Jones and Whelan.
Andy Wilkinson was a threat down the flanks all night and his lung-busting run ended with a shot that was easily dealt with by Dragan Djukic.
The influential Pennant was withdrawn early in the second half and the game appeared to be petering out before Jones struck once again with 18 minutes left.
The Potters, who are now unbeaten in six games this season, conceded when Wittwer struck after the home team failed to clear a corner.
By this point the hosts had taken their foot off the gas and they allowed Seko Sanogo to head wide but it mattered little as progress was already assured, meaning City's European adventure will continue.
Stoke, who are taking part in major Continental competition for the first time in 37 years, have guaranteed themselves at least six more Europa League fixtures and they will discover who their opponents are when the draw for the group stage is made in Monaco.
Stoke boss Tony Pulis: "This is the first time we have done this (got to the group stages), so it is lovely for our supporters who have backed us so magnificently over the past few years.
"At this football club we have really tried to join the supporters together with the players. By doing this, it is a great reward for the supporters for what they have done.
"I hope to God that we draw two big teams to play at the Britannia, because the place will be absolutely special if we do that."
Live text and stats
Thursday, 25 August 2011
Europa Lge qualifying
|Home Team||Score||Away Team||Time|
|(HT 3-0)(agg 5-1)|
- 29 Sorensen
- 17 Shawcross
- 20 Upson
- 28 Wilkinson
- 06 Whelan
- 12 Wilson (Collins 56)
- 14 Pugh
- 16 Pennant (Soares 55)
- 18 Whitehead yellow card
- 09 Jones
- 19 Walters (Shotton 63)
- 35 Djukic
- 05 Ghezal
- 14 Schindelholz
- 23 Schneider (Hediger 65)
- 26 Reinmann
- 06 Battig
- 07 Andrist
- 08 Demiri (Wittwer 65)
- 13 Sanogo
- 33 Luthi yellow card
- 21 Lezcano (Rama 77)
- 22 Moser,
- 27 Schirinzi,
- 28 Wittwer,
- 17 Hediger,
- 20 Schneuwly,
- 09 Rama,
- 16 Lustrinelli
- Stoke 53%
- FC Thun 47%
Attempts on target
- Stoke 5
- FC Thun 6
Attempts off target
- Stoke 4
- FC Thun 3
- Stoke 5
- FC Thun 3
- Stoke 11
- FC Thun 4
- Final Result
- Full Time
- 90:00+2:02 The referee signals the end of the game.
- 90:00+1:55 Kenwyne Jones is flagged offside by the assistant referee. Free kick taken by Benjamin Luthi.
- 88:33 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Nicolas Schindelholz by Danny Pugh. Direct free kick taken by Nicolas Schindelholz.
- 87:59 Effort from outside the box by Andreas Wittwer goes wide right of the target.
- 86:02 Short corner taken by Stephan Andrist from the right by-line.
- 82:19 Andy Wilkinson has an effort at goal from outside the box which goes wide right of the target.
- 80:48 Inswinging corner taken from the left by-line by Dennis Hediger, Headed effort from inside the area by Sekou Sanogo misses to the right of the goal.
- 79:35 Foul by Tom Soares on Nicolas Schindelholz, free kick awarded. Free kick taken by Nicolas Schindelholz.
- 76:59 Assist by Milaim Rama.
- 76:59 GOAL - Andreas Wittwer:Stoke 4 - 1 FC Thun Andreas Wittwer grabs a goal from inside the penalty box to the bottom right corner of the goal. Stoke 4 (5)-(1) 1 FC Thun.
- 76:14 Free kick taken by Roland Battig.
- 76:14 Substitution Milaim Rama joins the action as a substitute, replacing Dario Lezcano.
- 76:14 Matthew Upson challenges Dario Lezcano unfairly and gives away a free kick.
- 75:48 Unfair challenge on Nicolas Schindelholz by Tom Soares results in a free kick. Nicolas Schindelholz restarts play with the free kick.
- 71:13 Assist on the goal came from Tom Soares.
- 71:13 GOAL - Kenwyne Jones:Stoke 4 - 0 FC Thun Kenwyne Jones scores a headed goal from close range. Stoke 4 (5)-(0) 0 FC Thun.
- 68:25 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Dario Lezcano by Matthew Upson. Dario Lezcano restarts play with the free kick.
- 67:53 Dean Whitehead takes a shot. Dragan Djukic makes a save.
- 64:52 Substitution Andreas Wittwer is brought on as a substitute for Muhamed Demiri.
- 64:52 Substitution Dennis Hediger replaces Marc Schneider.
- 62:35 Substitution Ryan Shotton is brought on as a substitute for Jonathan Walters.
- 62:26 Sekou Sanogo takes a shot. Blocked by Ryan Shawcross.
- 59:35 Effort from the edge of the penalty box by Jonathan Walters goes wide of the right-hand upright.
- 59:05 Corner taken right-footed by Glenn Whelan, save made by Dragan Djukic.
- 57:38 Short corner taken by Jonathan Walters.
- 55:52 Inswinging corner taken by Marc Schneider from the right by-line played to the near post, clearance made by Matthew Upson.
- 55:52 Substitution (Stoke) makes a substitution, with Danny Collins coming on for Marc Wilson.
- 53:50 Glenn Whelan takes the free kick.
- 53:50 Substitution Jermaine Pennant leaves the field to be replaced by Tom Soares.
- 53:50 Unfair challenge on Matthew Upson by Muhamed Demiri results in a free kick.
- 53:15 Roland Battig takes a shot. Save by Thomas Sorensen.
- 48:03 Effort from the edge of the area by Andy Wilkinson goes wide of the right-hand upright.
- 45:01 The game restarts for the second half.
- Half Time
- 45:00+1:07 The half-time whistle blows.
- 44:58 Foul by Jonathan Walters on Marc Schneider, free kick awarded. Free kick taken by Marc Schneider.
- 43:49 Marc Schneider takes a shot. Dean Whitehead gets a block in.
- 38:40 Free kick taken by Marc Schneider.
- 38:40 Booking Dean Whitehead booked for unsporting behaviour.
- 38:25 Foul by Dean Whitehead on Sekou Sanogo, free kick awarded.
- 37:24 GOAL - Glenn Whelan:Stoke 3 - 0 FC Thun Glenn Whelan scores a goal from just outside the penalty area to the top right corner of the goal. Stoke 3 (4)-(0) 0 FC Thun.
- 37:02 Corner from right by-line taken by Jermaine Pennant.
- 36:14 Matthew Upson restarts play with the free kick.
- 36:14 Booking Booking for Benjamin Luthi for unsporting behaviour.
- 36:02 Unfair challenge on Danny Pugh by Benjamin Luthi results in a free kick.
- 34:01 Benjamin Luthi fouled by Glenn Whelan, the ref awards a free kick. Direct free kick taken by Benjamin Luthi.
- 30:33 Assist on the goal came from Jermaine Pennant.
- 30:33 GOAL - Kenwyne Jones:Stoke 2 - 0 FC Thun Kenwyne Jones scores a headed goal from deep inside the penalty box. Stoke 2 (3)-(0) 0 FC Thun.
- 29:48 Stephan Andrist takes a shot. Save by Thomas Sorensen.
- 27:20 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Andy Wilkinson by Sekou Sanogo. Free kick taken by Jermaine Pennant.
- 26:45 The referee blows for offside against Stephan Andrist. Thomas Sorensen takes the free kick.
- 25:24 Dean Whitehead concedes a free kick for a foul on Nicolas Schindelholz. Nicolas Schindelholz takes the direct free kick.
- 24:21 The assist for the goal came from Jermaine Pennant.
- 24:21 GOAL - Matthew Upson:Stoke 1 - 0 FC Thun Matthew Upson grabs a headed goal from close range. Stoke 1 (2)-(0) 0 FC Thun.
- 23:46 Corner taken right-footed by Jermaine Pennant from the left by-line,
- 22:03 Headed effort on goal by Kenwyne Jones from inside the penalty box misses to the right of the goal.
- 19:53 Free kick awarded for a foul by Dario Lezcano on Andy Wilkinson. Thomas Sorensen takes the direct free kick.
- 18:39 Muhamed Demiri produces a left-footed effort from long distance that goes harmlessly over the bar.
- Correction - 17:02 Free kick awarded for a foul by Jonathan Walters on Thomas Reinmann. Saif Ghezal restarts play with the free kick.
- 17:02 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Thomas Reinmann by Jonathan Walters. Direct free kick taken by Dragan Djukic.
- 16:01 Inswinging corner taken left-footed by Danny Pugh, save by Dragan Djukic.
- 12:00 The assistant referee signals for offside against Stephan Andrist. Thomas Sorensen restarts play with the free kick.
- 7:41 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Muhamed Demiri by Matthew Upson. Direct free kick taken by Saif Ghezal.
- 2:22 Marc Schneider takes a shot. Blocked by Andy Wilkinson.
- 0:00 The ref blows the whistle to begin the match.
Live text and data provided by The Press Association.
Europa Lge qualifying results
AEK Larnaca2-1RosenborgFT (agg 2-1)
Alania Vladikavkaz2-0BesiktasFT (agg 2-3)
Anderlecht2-2BursasporFT (agg 4-3)
AZ Alkmaar6-0Aalesunds FKFT (agg 7-2)
- Birmingham3-0NacionalFT (agg 3-0)
Club Bruges2-0FC ZestafoniFT (agg 5-3)
CSKA Sofia1-1Steaua BucharestFT (agg 1-3)
Dinamo Bucharest2-3Vorskla PoltavaFT (agg 3-5)
Dinamo Tbilisi1-1AEK AthensFT (agg 1-2) AEK Athens win on away goals rule
- Dnipro1-0FulhamFT (agg 1-3)
Dynamo Kiev1-0Litex LovechFT (agg 3-1)
- FC Sion3-1CelticFT (agg 3-1)
FC Spartak Trnava1-1Lokomotiv MoscowFT (agg 1-3)
Gaz Metan Medias1-0Aust. ViennaFT (agg 2-3)
Guimaraes0-4Atletico MadridFT (agg 0-6)
Hapoel Tel-Aviv4-0Ekranas PanevezysFT (agg 4-1)
Helsingborgs1-3Standard LiegeFT (agg 1-4)
Karpaty Lviv1-1PAOK SalonikaFT (agg 1-3)
Panathinaikos2-1Macc Tel-AvivFT (agg 2-4)
Paris SG2-0DifferdangeFT (agg 6-0)
Partizan Belgrade1-2Shamrock RoversFT (agg 2-3)
PSV Eindhoven5-0SV RiedFT (agg 5-0)
Rabotnicki Skopje1-3LazioFT (agg 1-9)
- Rangers1-1NK MariborFT (agg 2-3)
Rapid Bucharest1-1Slask WroclawFT (agg 4-2)
SV Salzburg1-0Omonia NicosiaFT (agg 2-2) SV Red Bull Salzburg win on away goals rule
Rennes4-0Red Star BelgradeFT (agg 6-1)
Roma1-1Slovan BratislavaFT (agg 1-2)
Schalke 046-1HJK HelsinkiFT (agg 6-3)
Sevilla1-1Hannover 96FT (agg 2-3)
Sochaux0-4FC Metalist KharkivFT (agg 0-4)
Spartak Moscow2-3Legia WarsawFT (agg 4-5)
Sparta Prague1-0FC VasluiFT (agg 1-2)
Sporting2-1FC NordsjaellandFT (agg 2-1)
- Stoke4-1FC ThunFT (agg 5-1)
- Tottenham0-0HeartsFT (agg 5-0)
Young Boys2-2BragaFT (agg 2-2) Braga win on the away goals rule
18 August 11Football