FC Sion 3 - 1 Celtic (agg 3 - 1)
Page last updated at 20:35 GMT, Thursday, 25 August 2011 21:35 UK
Celtic crashed out of the Europa League after a horror start left them a goal and a man down inside the first minute of their second-leg tie against Sion.
Daniel Majstorovic was red-carded for a tackle inside the box, Pascal Feindouno scoring the resulting penalty.
The Guinean fired in a free-kick in the 63rd minute, before Charlie Mulgrew pulled one back for Celtic with 12 minutes remaining.
Giovanni Sio lobbed in the third for Sion to end Celtic's European season.
The result contrubited to a night to forget for Scottish football, with Rangers and Hearts also failing to reach the group stage of the Europa League.
It was a nightmare start for the visitors when, with less than a minute of the match played, Majstorovic was caught out of position during a speedy Sion counter attack.
Geoffrey Serey Die fed the ball to Guilherme Afonso, who was scythed down inside the box by Majstorovic as he raced in on goal.
Referee David Fernandez Borbalan had no hesitation in showing the defender the red card and Feindouno, who had been on trial at Celtic last year, dispatched the ball past Fraser Forster to put the home side ahead.
Down to 10 men, Mulgrew moved into the centre of defence with Joe Ledley taking up the left-back position and Georgios Samaras dropping deeper as the injured Afonso was replaced by Aleksander Prijovic.
CHANGE IN FORTUNESContinue reading the main story
Celtic won their first three games of the season - scoring eight and conceding only once.
Since, they have lost two of three and scored just one goal
Unsettled by their start to the match, Celtic struggled to get a foothold in the face of a buoyant Sion.
Mario Mutsch and substitute Aleksander Prijovic both had early chances, then Celtic survived wave after wave of attack instigated by Feinduono - one of five players listed by Sion that Fifa judged ineligible to play for the club due to a transfer embargo, with the Swiss outfit warned they could face sanctions from Uefa.
In the 27th minute Forster had to dive low to his left to beat out a Feindouno free-kick after Kayal was penalised for handball 25 yards out.
Minutes later Cha had to put in a crucial saving block on Feindouno after the striker had brilliantly made a yard of space for himself in the Celtic box.
After the restart it was midfielder Sio who took on the role of Celtic's tormentor; the Frenchman creating a barrage of chances and involved in the second goal; Ki Sung-yueng judged to have fouled him 30 yards from goal to hand Sion a dangerously positioned free kick.
Feindouno's initial effort was blocked, but he was allowed another by a static Celtic defence, with Forster helplessly watching the ball nestle in the corner of the net.
There was a glimmer of hope for Celtic in the 78th minute, when Mulgrew converted a free kick from 20 yards out to put Lennon's side once against within a single goal of securing their progression to the group stages.
But a mistake by Ki on the half-way line eight minutes from time gave Sion the killer blow they needed.
The Korean was dispossessed under little pressure from the mercurial Sio, who picked up the ball and ran all the way to the box before chipping Forster to slot home and end Celtic's run in Europe at the play-off stage for a second year running.
Live text and stats
Thursday, 25 August 2011
Europa Lge qualifying
|Home Team||Score||Away Team||Time|
|(HT 1-0)(agg 3-1)|
- 01 Vanins
- 05 Dingsdag yellow card
- 20 Vanczak
- 31 Buhler
- 33 Adailton
- 07 Mutsch
- 13 Giovanni Sio yellow card
- 22 Obradovic (Crettenand 69)
- 26 Geoffroy yellow card
- 14 Feindouno
- 17 Afonso (Prijovic 7) (Rodrigo 85)
- 18 Fickentscher,
- 04 Goncalves,
- 08 Rodrigo,
- 16 Crettenand,
- 09 Prijovic,
- 12 Ketkeophomphone,
- 19 Mrdja
- 01 Forster
- 05 Majstorovic red card
- 06 Wilson
- 11 Cha Du-Ri
- 21 Mulgrew
- 08 Brown yellow card
- 16 Ledley (Commons 88)
- 18 Ki Sung-Yeung
- 33 Kayal (Forrest 72)
- 09 Samaras
- 88 Hooper yellow card
- 24 Zaluska,
- 12 Wilson,
- 02 Matthews,
- 20 McCourt,
- 10 Stokes,
- 15 Commons,
- 49 Forrest
- FC Sion 66%
- Celtic 34%
Attempts on target
- FC Sion 8
- Celtic 3
Attempts off target
- FC Sion 5
- Celtic 2
- FC Sion 5
- Celtic 2
- FC Sion 13
- Celtic 4
- Full Time
- 90:00+3:07 The referee signals the end of the game.
- 90:00+0:56 Didier Crettenand produces a right-footed shot from just outside the area that goes harmlessly over the bar.
- 90:00+0:15 Free kick awarded for a foul by James Forrest on Vilmos Vanczak. Free kick taken by Jose Adailton.
- 89:22 The ball is crossed by Du-Ri Cha.
- 88:43 The assistant referee flags for offside against Giovanni Sio. Fraser Forster takes the free kick.
- 87:53 Inswinging corner taken by Michael Dingsdag from the right by-line.
- 87:33 Substitution Kris Commons joins the action as a substitute, replacing Joe Ledley.
- 86:22 A cross is delivered by James Forrest, Andris Vanins makes a comfortable save.
- 84:13 Substitution Aleksandar Prijovic goes off and Lacerda Ramos Rodrigo comes on.
- 82:10 Booking Giovanni Sio goes into the referee's book.
- 81:48 GOAL - Giovanni Sio:FC Sion 3 - 1 Celtic A goal is scored by Giovanni Sio from just outside the box low into the middle of the goal. FC Sion 3 (3)-(1) 1 Celtic.
- 80:35 Sung-Yeung Ki takes the free kick.
- 80:35 Booking The referee books Gary Hooper for dissent.
- 80:32 Booking The referee shows Serey Die a yellow card for unsporting behaviour.
- 80:22 Free kick awarded for a foul by Serey Die on Gary Hooper.
- 79:23 Inswinging corner taken by Michael Dingsdag.
- 79:13 Shot by Giovanni Sio. Scott Brown gets a block in.
- 78:29 Serey Die challenges Georgios Samaras unfairly and gives away a free kick. Free kick taken by Georgios Samaras.
- 77:16 GOAL - Charlie Mulgrew:FC Sion 2 - 1 Celtic Charlie Mulgrew finds the net with a goal direct from the free kick from just outside the area high into the middle of the goal. FC Sion 2 (2)-(1) 1 Celtic.
- 76:01 Michael Dingsdag challenges Gary Hooper unfairly and gives away a free kick.
- 73:51 Gary Hooper is caught offside. Andris Vanins takes the direct free kick.
- 73:37 Joe Ledley takes a inswinging corner.
- 71:47 Substitution Beram Kayal leaves the field to be replaced by James Forrest.
- Correction - 71:08 Giovanni Sio takes a shot. Blocked by Beram Kayal.
- 71:08 Giovanni Sio takes a shot. Blocked by Joe Ledley.
- 69:13 Gary Hooper is ruled offside. Andris Vanins takes the free kick.
- 67:38 Joe Ledley takes the free kick.
- 67:38 Substitution Didier Crettenand replaces Goran Obradovic.
- 67:38 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Joe Ledley by Arnaud Buhler.
- 66:14 Vilmos Vanczak gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Sung-Yeung Ki. Direct free kick taken by Joe Ledley.
- 64:44 Mario Mutsch gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Du-Ri Cha. Sung-Yeung Ki crosses the ball in from the free kick.
- 64:16 Giovanni Sio challenges Georgios Samaras unfairly and gives away a free kick. Georgios Samaras takes the free kick.
- 62:26 Assist by Giovanni Sio.
- 62:26 GOAL - Pascal Feindouno:FC Sion 2 - 0 Celtic Pascal Feindouno grabs a goal from just outside the penalty area to the bottom left corner of the goal. FC Sion 2 (2)-(0) 0 Celtic.
- Correction - 61:13 Free kick awarded for a foul by Sung-Yeung Ki on Giovanni Sio. Giovanni Sio takes the free kick.
- 61:13 Free kick awarded for a foul by Sung-Yeung Ki on Giovanni Sio. Pascal Feindouno takes the free kick.
- 59:57 Gary Hooper produces a cross.
- Correction - 58:37 Vilmos Vanczak gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Sung-Yeung Ki.
- 58:37 Free kick awarded for a foul by Vilmos Vanczak on Sung-Yeung Ki. Sung-Yeung Ki restarts play with the free kick.
- 56:48 Mario Mutsch takes a shot. Comfortable save by Fraser Forster.
- 56:06 Vilmos Vanczak crosses the ball, clearance by Charlie Mulgrew.
- 53:15 Giovanni Sio takes a shot. Comfortable save by Fraser Forster.
- 51:15 Shot by Aleksandar Prijovic from inside the box hits the post.
- 49:54 Giovanni Sio takes a shot. Save made by Fraser Forster.
- 49:36 Sung-Yeung Ki takes a shot. Save by Vilmos Vanczak.
- 48:53 Kelvin Wilson fouled by Serey Die, the ref awards a free kick. Kelvin Wilson takes the direct free kick.
- 47:17 Inswinging corner taken from the left by-line by Michael Dingsdag, Charlie Mulgrew makes a clearance.
- 46:46 Giovanni Sio sends in a cross.
- 46:00 The assistant referee flags for offside against Gary Hooper. Free kick taken by Michael Dingsdag.
- 45:01 The second half kicks off.
- 45:00+0:22 Giovanni Sio gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Beram Kayal. Fraser Forster restarts play with the free kick.
- Half Time
- 44:54 The whistle is blown to end the first half.
- 44:45 Beram Kayal challenges Pascal Feindouno unfairly and gives away a free kick. Michael Dingsdag restarts play with the free kick.
- 43:19 Charlie Mulgrew fires a strike on goal direct from the free kick.
- 43:19 Booking Michael Dingsdag goes into the book for unsporting behaviour.
- 43:13 Foul by Michael Dingsdag on Georgios Samaras, free kick awarded.
- 41:29 Jose Adailton gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Beram Kayal. Free kick taken by Charlie Mulgrew.
- 38:06 Aleksandar Prijovic produces a right-footed shot from deep inside the penalty box which goes wide of the left-hand post.
- Correction - 37:45 Inswinging corner taken from the right by-line by Sung-Yeung Ki.
- 37:45 Inswinging corner taken from the right by-line by Scott Brown.
- 37:29 Du-Ri Cha takes a shot. Save by Andris Vanins.
- 36:12 The referee blows for offside. Free kick taken by Vilmos Vanczak.
- 34:35 Gary Hooper is caught offside. Michael Dingsdag restarts play with the free kick.
- 33:43 Inswinging corner taken by Pascal Feindouno.
- 33:01 Pascal Feindouno takes a shot. Save by Charlie Mulgrew.
- 33:01 Booking Scott Brown goes into the book for unsporting behaviour.
- 29:18 Unfair challenge on Georgios Samaras by Vilmos Vanczak results in a free kick. Free kick taken by Sung-Yeung Ki.
- 20:55 Goran Obradovic takes the chance to get an effort at goal.
- 18:23 Shot from just outside the area by Gary Hooper misses to the right of the target.
- 17:11 Mario Mutsch has an effort from just inside the box that misses to the left of the goal.
- 11:01 Inswinging corner taken from the left by-line by Mario Mutsch.
- 6:25 Substitution Guilherme Afonso goes off and Aleksandar Prijovic comes on.
- 2:45 Sent off The referee sends off Daniel Majstorovic for professional foul.
- 2:44 GOAL - Pascal Feindouno:FC Sion 1 - 0 Celtic Placed penalty scored by Pascal Feindouno. FC Sion 1 (1)-(0) 0 Celtic.
- 2:43 Daniel Majstorovic concedes a Penalty for a foul on Pascal Feindouno.
- 0:00 The ref blows the whistle to start the match.
Live text and data provided by The Press Association.
Europa Lge qualifying results
AEK Larnaca2-1RosenborgFT (agg 2-1)
Alania Vladikavkaz2-0BesiktasFT (agg 2-3)
Anderlecht2-2BursasporFT (agg 4-3)
AZ Alkmaar6-0Aalesunds FKFT (agg 7-2)
- Birmingham3-0NacionalFT (agg 3-0)
Club Bruges2-0FC ZestafoniFT (agg 5-3)
CSKA Sofia1-1Steaua BucharestFT (agg 1-3)
Dinamo Bucharest2-3Vorskla PoltavaFT (agg 3-5)
Dinamo Tbilisi1-1AEK AthensFT (agg 1-2) AEK Athens win on away goals rule
- Dnipro1-0FulhamFT (agg 1-3)
Dynamo Kiev1-0Litex LovechFT (agg 3-1)
- FC Sion3-1CelticFT (agg 3-1)
FC Spartak Trnava1-1Lokomotiv MoscowFT (agg 1-3)
Gaz Metan Medias1-0Aust. ViennaFT (agg 2-3)
Guimaraes0-4Atletico MadridFT (agg 0-6)
Hapoel Tel-Aviv4-0Ekranas PanevezysFT (agg 4-1)
Helsingborgs1-3Standard LiegeFT (agg 1-4)
Karpaty Lviv1-1PAOK SalonikaFT (agg 1-3)
Panathinaikos2-1Macc Tel-AvivFT (agg 2-4)
Paris SG2-0DifferdangeFT (agg 6-0)
Partizan Belgrade1-2Shamrock RoversFT (agg 2-3)
PSV Eindhoven5-0SV RiedFT (agg 5-0)
Rabotnicki Skopje1-3LazioFT (agg 1-9)
- Rangers1-1NK MariborFT (agg 2-3)
Rapid Bucharest1-1Slask WroclawFT (agg 4-2)
SV Salzburg1-0Omonia NicosiaFT (agg 2-2) SV Red Bull Salzburg win on away goals rule
Rennes4-0Red Star BelgradeFT (agg 6-1)
Roma1-1Slovan BratislavaFT (agg 1-2)
Schalke 046-1HJK HelsinkiFT (agg 6-3)
Sevilla1-1Hannover 96FT (agg 2-3)
Sochaux0-4FC Metalist KharkivFT (agg 0-4)
Spartak Moscow2-3Legia WarsawFT (agg 4-5)
Sparta Prague1-0FC VasluiFT (agg 1-2)
Sporting2-1FC NordsjaellandFT (agg 2-1)
- Stoke4-1FC ThunFT (agg 5-1)
- Tottenham0-0HeartsFT (agg 5-0)
Young Boys2-2BragaFT (agg 2-2) Braga win on the away goals rule