Fulham 2-0 RNK Split (2-0)
Page last updated at 20:23 GMT, Thursday, 4 August 2011 21:23 UK
Fulham 2 - 0 RNK Split (agg 2 - 0)
Fulham are through to the Europa League play-off round with a 2-0 win over Croatians RNK Split at Craven Cottage.
The Cottagers had struggled in last week's away leg but largely dominated on home turf and took the lead through Andrew Johnson's header from a corner.
Fulham sealed their progress when Johnson was fouled by Velimir Vidic in the box and Danny Murphy slotted home the resulting penalty.
Johnson thought he had added a third soon after but was ruled offside.
The victory maintains Fulham's unbeaten record during this qualifying campaign, during which they have yet to concede a goal at home in three matches.
The Cottagers defence had to be on top form to preserve their clean-sheet record as Goran Milovic, Ante Vitaic and Roman Oblinovic all came close to scoring in the second half.
However, it was ultimately a deserved win for Martin Jol's side, who now face a two-legged play-off on 18 and 25 August to book their place in the Europa League proper, a competition they in which they were runners-up in 2010.
ANOTHER FULHAM EUROPEAN ADVENTURE?Continue reading the main story
- If Fulham are to replicate their 2010 run to the Europa League final this season they will have to play another 16 matches on top of the six they have already played.
- With their first match having been on 30 June this year and the final on 9 May 2012, the campaign would last just over 10 months.
The home side's determination to make up for a disappointing stalemate in Croatia last Thursday was evident from the off as Damien Duff threatened from Danny Murphy's free-kick.
It did not take long for the early pressure to pay off though when Johnson lost his marker to head home Duff's corner in the 19th minute.
The home side continued to press, but Johnson was unable to add to his opener when his shot was blocked before Murphy was denied by the visitor's goalkeeper Andrija Vukovic.
After the break, Split looked rejuvenated and and came close to equalising through Vitaic's stunning 30-yard free-kick, which dipped over the wall but fell just wide of goal.
However, a rash challenge from Vidic on Johnson gave Murphy the chance to ease Fulham's nerves and the former England midfielder made no mistake from the spot.
Johnson thought he had further extended his side's advantage minutes later when he rounded Vukovic to net, but the goal was ruled out for offside.
At the other end, Milovic was unfortunate to see a close-range shot ricochet off the bar, while Fulham keeper Mark Schwarzer was forced to save low from Oblinovic's 25-yard drive, but there were no further scares for the home side.
Live text and stats
Thursday, 4 August 2011
Europa Lge qualifying
|Home Team||Score||Away Team||Time|
|(HT 1-0)(agg 2-0)|
- 01 Schwarzer
- 05 Hangeland
- 07 JA Riise
- 14 Senderos
- 18 Hughes
- 13 Murphy yellow card
- 16 Duff (Kasami 89)
- 20 Etuhu
- 23 Dempsey (Briggs 80 yellow card)
- 08 Johnson yellow card
- 25 Zamora (Dembele 76)
- 01 Vukovic
- 04 Budisa
- 05 Vidic yellow card
- 14 Milovic
- 44 Krizanac
- 06 Simic
- 08 Vitaic (Rasic 75 yellow card)
- 09 Baraban (Obilinovic 61)
- 25 Marcic
- 24 Erceg
- 90 Cop (Jordan 83)
- 12 Zagorac,
- 02 Radnic,
- 13 Rasic,
- 26 Galovic,
- 15 Jordan,
- 27 Barisic,
- 21 Obilinovic
- Fulham 55%
- RNK Split 45%
Attempts on target
- Fulham 2
- RNK Split 6
Attempts off target
- Fulham 4
- RNK Split 6
- Fulham 3
- RNK Split 3
- Fulham 12
- RNK Split 10
- Final Result
- Full Time
- 90:00+3:20 The referee signals the end of the game.
- 90:00+2:37 Pajtim Kasami takes a short corner.
- 89:46 Igor Budisa concedes a free kick for a foul on John Arne Riise. Danny Murphy takes the direct free kick.
- 89:21 Booking Damir Rasic goes into the referee's book for unsporting behaviour.
- 88:11 Philippe Senderos takes the free kick.
- 88:11 Substitution Damien Duff goes off and Pajtim Kasami comes on.
- 88:11 Damir Rasic challenges Moussa Dembele unfairly and gives away a free kick.
- 86:52 Ivica Krizanac takes the direct free kick.
- 86:52 Booking Matthew Briggs booked for unsporting behaviour.
- 86:13 Free kick awarded for a foul by Dickson Etuhu on Ante Erceg.
- 85:42 Header from deep inside the penalty area by Marko Jordan goes harmlessly over the crossbar.
- 85:07 Brede Hangeland challenges Ivica Krizanac unfairly and gives away a free kick. The free kick is delivered right-footed by Romano Obilinovic from right wing.
- 84:50 Inswinging corner taken by Romano Obilinovic.
- 84:25 Predrag Simic takes a shot. Save by Mark Schwarzer.
- 84:12 Goran Milovic takes the free kick.
- 84:12 Booking Danny Murphy goes into the referee's book.
- 83:48 Unfair challenge on Ante Erceg by Danny Murphy results in a free kick.
- 82:29 Substitution (RNK Split) makes a substitution, with Marko Jordan coming on for Duje Cop.
- 79:56 Substitution Matthew Briggs comes on in place of Clint Dempsey.
- 78:24 Free kick awarded for a foul by Moussa Dembele on Ivica Krizanac. Romano Obilinovic crosses the ball from the free kick right-footed from right wing.
- 75:28 Substitution Bobby Zamora goes off and Moussa Dembele comes on.
- 75:01 Inswinging corner taken from the left by-line by Damir Rasic, Philippe Senderos manages to make a clearance.
- Correction - 74:45 Substitution Damir Rasic comes on in place of Ante Vitaic.
- 74:45 Substitution Damir Rasic is brought on as a substitute for Filip Marcic.
- 74:17 Romano Obilinovic takes a shot. Save made by Mark Schwarzer.
- 73:38 Shot from just outside the penalty box by Ivica Krizanac misses to the left of the target.
- 71:30 Damien Duff has an effort at goal from just outside the box which goes wide of the left-hand upright.
- 70:38 Duje Cop takes a shot. Save by Mark Schwarzer.
- 68:23 Ante Vitaic takes a shot. Save by Mark Schwarzer.
- 67:56 The referee gives a free kick against Bobby Zamora for handball. Andrija Vukovic takes the free kick.
- 67:08 Effort from 20 yards by Goran Milovic. Save made by Mark Schwarzer.
- 66:38 Ante Erceg takes the outswinging corner, clearance made by Brede Hangeland.
- 65:21 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Ivica Krizanac by Danny Murphy. Free kick taken by Ivica Krizanac.
- 64:26 The assistant referee flags for offside against Ante Erceg. Free kick taken by Mark Schwarzer.
- 64:02 Bobby Zamora is adjudged to have handled the ball. Ante Vitaic takes the direct free kick.
- 61:25 Damien Duff is ruled offside. Free kick taken by Goran Milovic.
- 60:03 Ante Erceg delivers the ball, Shot by Goran Milovic from 6 yards.
- 60:03 Substitution Romano Obilinovic joins the action as a substitute, replacing Ivan Baraban.
- 60:03 Unfair challenge on Ante Erceg by Bobby Zamora results in a free kick.
- 58:15 Free kick taken by Ivica Krizanac.
- 58:15 Booking Andrew Johnson is cautioned by the ref for unsporting behaviour.
- 58:00 Andrew Johnson is flagged offside by the assistant referee.
- 56:54 Duje Cop fouled by Brede Hangeland, the ref awards a free kick. Duje Cop takes the direct free kick.
- 56:10 GOAL - Danny Murphy:Fulham 2 - 0 RNK Split Placed penalty scored by Danny Murphy. Fulham 2 (2)-(0) 0 RNK Split.
- 55:43 Booking The referee books Velimir Vidic for unsporting behaviour.
- 54:59 Penalty awarded for an unfair challenge on Brede Hangeland by Velimir Vidic.
- 54:11 Shot on goal by Filip Marcic from inside the box goes harmlessly over the target.
- 51:10 Goran Milovic fouled by Damien Duff, the ref awards a free kick. Free kick taken by Goran Milovic.
- 47:37 Free kick awarded for a foul by Brede Hangeland on Ivan Baraban. Strike comes in from Ante Vitaic from the free kick.
- 46:59 Filip Marcic concedes a free kick for a foul on Brede Hangeland. Free kick taken by Philippe Senderos.
- 46:40 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Clint Dempsey by Filip Marcic. Dickson Etuhu takes the direct free kick.
- 45:19 Ivan Baraban concedes a free kick for a foul on Clint Dempsey. Direct free kick taken by John Arne Riise.
- 45:01 The referee gets the second half started.
- Half Time
- 45:00+0:05 The first half comes to an end.
- 43:15 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Clint Dempsey by Ivan Baraban. Brede Hangeland restarts play with the free kick.
- 34:55 The referee blows for offside against Damien Duff. Indirect free kick taken by Andrija Vukovic.
- 32:13 Danny Murphy takes the chance to get an effort at goal. Save by Andrija Vukovic.
- 29:29 Aaron Hughes challenges Velimir Vidic unfairly and gives away a free kick. Direct free kick taken by Velimir Vidic.
- 27:11 Shot from just outside the area by Bobby Zamora misses to the right of the target.
- 23:40 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Bobby Zamora by Goran Milovic. Danny Murphy delivers the ball from the free kick right-footed from left wing, save by Andrija Vukovic.
- 21:11 Shot from just outside the area by Duje Cop goes over the bar.
- 18:07 Assist by Damien Duff.
- 18:07 GOAL - Andrew Johnson:Fulham 1 - 0 RNK Split Andrew Johnson finds the net with a headed goal from close in. Fulham 1 (1)-(0) 0 RNK Split.
- 17:35 Inswinging corner taken left-footed by Damien Duff from the right by-line to the near post,
- 14:19 Igor Budisa fouled by Andrew Johnson, the ref awards a free kick. Igor Budisa restarts play with the free kick.
- 13:23 Inswinging corner taken by Danny Murphy from the left by-line.
- 12:25 Duje Cop concedes a free kick for a foul on Brede Hangeland. Aaron Hughes takes the free kick.
- 4:47 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Goran Milovic by Bobby Zamora. Ivica Krizanac takes the free kick.
- 3:12 Ivan Baraban takes a shot. Mark Schwarzer makes a save.
- 2:02 Shot by Damien Duff from deep inside the penalty area misses to the right of the target.
- 0:32 Predrag Simic challenges Andrew Johnson unfairly and gives away a free kick. The ball is sent over by Danny Murphy, Damien Duff has an effort at goal from just inside the box that misses to the left of the goal.
- 0:00 The referee gets the game started.
Live text and data provided by The Press Association.
Europa Lge qualifying results
Den Haag1-0Omonia NicosiaFT (agg 1-3)
Aust. Vienna3-2Olimpija LjubljanaFT (agg 4-3)
Brondby4-2SV RiedFT (agg 4-4) SV Ried win on away goals rule
Dinamo Tbilisi2-0KR ReykjavikFT (agg 6-1)
Elfsborg1-1Aalesunds FKFT (agg 1-5)
FC Aktobe1-1Alania VladikavkazFT (agg 2-2) Alania Vladikavkaz win 4-2 on penalties
FC Spartak Trnava2-1Levski SofiaFT (agg 3-3) FC Spartak Trnava win 5-4 on penalties
FC Thun1-1PalermoFT (agg 3-3) FC Thun win on away goals rule
FC Vaduz2-1Hapoel Tel-AvivFT (agg 2-5)
FK Sarajevo0-2Sparta PragueFT (agg 0-7)
- Fulham2-0RNK SplitFT (agg 2-0)
Gaz Metan Medias1-1MainzFT (agg 2-2) Gaz Metan win 4-3 on penalties
Gomel1-3BursasporFT (agg 2-5)
Guimaraes2-1FC MidtjyllandFT (agg 2-1)
Hacken2-1NacionalFT (agg 2-4)
- Hajduk Split0-1StokeFT (agg 0-2)
- Hearts4-1PaksFT (agg 5-2)
Helsingborgs3-0Bnei YehudaFT (agg 3-1)
Inter Bratislava0-3SV SalzburgFT (agg 0-4)
Jablonec1-1AZ AlkmaarFT (agg 1-3)
Karabakh Azersun1-0Club BrugesFT (agg 2-4)
Legia Warsaw0-0GaziantepsporFT (agg 1-0)
Lokomotiv Sofia0-0Slask WroclawFT (agg 0-0) Slask Wroclaw win 4-3 on penalties
Macc Tel-Aviv6-0Zeljeznicar SarajevoFT (agg 8-0)
Mlada Boleslav2-2AEK LarnacaFT (agg 2-5)
Olympiacos Volou3-0DifferdangeFT (agg 6-0)
PAOK Salonika3-0ValerengaFT (agg 5-0)
Rabotnicki Skopje1-2Ano's FamagustaFT (agg 3-2)
Red Star Belgrade7-0FK VentspilsFT (agg 9-1)
Rennes2-0Olimpi RustaviFT (agg 7-2)
Sligo0-2Vorskla PoltavaFT (agg 0-2)
St Patricks1-3Karpaty LvivFT (agg 1-5)
Stromsgodset0-2Atletico MadridFT (agg 1-4)
Westerlo0-2Young BoysFT (agg 1-5)
28 July 11Football