Scotland Wales Northern Ireland
BBC Homepage feedback | low graphics version
BBC Sport Online
You are in: Football: Eng Prem  
Front Page 
FA Cup 
Scottish Cup 
World Cup 2002 
Eng Prem 
Eng Div 1 
Eng Div 2 
Eng Div 3 
Eng Conf 
Worthington Cup 
Scot Prem 
Scot Div 1 
Scot Div 2 
Scot Div 3 
CIS Ins Cup 
Champions League 
Uefa Cup 
Rugby Union 
Rugby League 
Other Sports 
Sports Talk 
In Depth 
Photo Galleries 
TV & Radio 
BBC Pundits 
Question of Sport 
Funny Old Game 

Around The Uk

BBC News

BBC Weather

BBC Five Live's Ian Brown
With a round-up of the action
 real 14k

Southampton manager Glenn Hoddle
"We haven't won as many games at home as we would have liked"
 real 14k

Man City manager Joe Royle
on new signing Richard Dunne
 real 14k

Monday, 23 October, 2000, 21:03 GMT 22:03 UK
City break Saints' hearts
New signing Richard Dunne denies Marian Pahars
New signing Richard Dunne denies Marian Pahars
Southampton 0-2 Man City

Southampton were beaten 2-0 by Manchester City at The Dell despite dominating much of an exiting match in front of their own fans.

The visitors gave the Saints a lesson in finishing after spending long periods in defence in this match.

One point separated the teams as they went into the match with City sitting three places ahead of the Saints in the Premiership.

Glenn Hoddle had never enjoyed managerial success over Joe Royle going into this match and his team seemed to be fired up for the clash when Hassan Kachloul latched onto a loose ball from Paulo Wanchope and shot narrowly wide after 40 seconds.

The goals didn't belong in that game. At one point I thought it was a contest to see who could give the ball away most often
  Joe Royle
Kachloul came close again three minutes later when he pounced onto a rebound after Marian Pahars had cut in from the right and fired a low drive that Nicky Weaver could only parry.

However, the striker was forced to rush his shot by new City defender Richard Dunne and he put the ball wide.

Initial pressure

After the initial pressure the game settled down somewhat with both teams closing down space and restricting one another around the penalty area.

City made their first clear chance after a lightning counter-attack on 27 minutes but Jeff Whitley was denied by a superb tackle from last defender Jason Dodd.

City did finally make the breakthrough with another counter-attack 10 minutes later when Whitley sent Paul Dickov clear, and with the Saints defence slow in springing their offside trap the Scottish international shot across Paul Jones into the corner of the net.

Kevin Davies battles for the loose ball with Steve Howey
Kevin Davies battles for the loose ball with Steve Howey
The visitors almost added to their lead three minutes later when Alfie Haaland found space in the box at a corner, but his downward header nodded clear by Stuart Ripley with Jones struggling to get to the ball.

Saints boss Hoddle replaced Matt Le Tissier with Kevin Davies at the interval after the hero of The Dell was injured in the first half, and the striker got involved in the action straight away to lift the home support.

Southampton penned City in their own half in the early stages of the second half but were unable to create any clear-cut chances, despite having the majority of possession.

The home side almost scored in the most spectacular fashion though when Ripley touched a free-kick to Kachloul who hit a drive from 25 yards, only to be denied by Weaver who got his hand to the ball as it headed for the top corner of the net.

Weaver denied Southampton five minutes later when Chris Marsden played a 25 yard pass to Pahars who hit a first-time chip from a tight angle in the box.

Dropped wide

From the resulting corner, City only half cleared the ball and Kachloul's chip from the other side of the box beat the City goalkeeper, but dropped wide of the far post.

We didn't deserve anything. I'm very disappointed. We weren't strong enough to respond when we went one-down
  Glenn Hoddle
With 20 minutes to go Tahar El Khalej came close for the hosts when he met a Ripley cross 18 yards out, but his header skidded wide of the target.

Southampton were denied a penalty three minutes later when Whitley handled the ball as substitute Trond Soltvedt filcked it over the City defender, but referee Alan Wiley missed the incident.

With Saints pushing forward there was always the chance of a break, and City almost made them pay after 81 minutes when Haaland sent Whitley clear for the wing-back to round Jones, but was wide of the target.

Southampton continued to chase the equaliser, but they could not find their way through and despite dominating possession they could not make the breakthrough.

Their misery was completed in injury time when City again broke forward and Danny Tiatto hammered a brilliant shot past Jones off the underside of the bar and into the net.

Southampton: Jones, Dodd, Lundekvam, Le Tissier, Oakley, Ripley, Pahars, Bridge, El Khalej, Kachloul, Soltvedt. Subs: Moss, Marsden, Draper, Davies, Beattie.

Man City: Weaver, Whitley, Haaland, Wiekens, Prior, Howey, Ritchie, Dunne, Wanchope, Dickov, Tiatto. Subs: Wright, Bishop, Goater, Wright-Phillips, Kennedy.

Referee: A Wiley (Burntwood)

Search BBC Sport Online
Advanced search options
Links to top Eng Prem stories are at the foot of the page.

Links to other Eng Prem stories

^^ Back to top