Scotland Wales Northern Ireland
BBC Homepage feedback | low graphics version
BBC Sport Online
You are in: Football: Eng Prem  
Front Page 
FA Cup 
Scottish Cup 
World Cup 2002 
Eng Prem 
Eng Div 1 
Eng Div 2 
Eng Div 3 
Eng Conf 
Worthington Cup 
Scot Prem 
Scot Div 1 
Scot Div 2 
Scot Div 3 
CIS Ins Cup 
Champions League 
Uefa Cup 
Rugby Union 
Rugby League 
Other Sports 
Sports Talk 
In Depth 
Photo Galleries 
TV & Radio 
BBC Pundits 
Question of Sport 
Funny Old Game 

Around The Uk

BBC News

BBC Weather

BBC Five Live's Mike Ingham
reports from Filbert Street.
 real 14k

Leciester boss, Peter Taylor
"You see that red shirt and at times you give it too much respect."
 real 14k

Man United's Teddy Sheringham
"Both teams were without key players."
 real 14k

Man United's Dwight Yorke
"We were quietly confident."
 real 56k

Saturday, 14 October, 2000, 16:02 GMT 17:02 UK
Foxes beaten by United treble
Teddy Sheringham heads the ball into the net
Teddy Sheringham heads the ball into the net
Leicester 0-3 Manchester United

A goal in each half from Teddy Sheringham and an injury-time third from Ole Gunnar Solskjaer sent Manchester United back to the top of the Premiership above opponents Leicester at Filbert Street.

Manchester United had gone four games without a win and suffered defeats in both the Champions League and Premiership prior to their top of the table clash.

Peter Taylor knew his men faced their sternest test under his stewardship so far and at times Leicester showed precisely why they had made the early season running.

Darren Eadie, Andy Impey and Ade Akinbiyi all worked well together to fashion openings in the first half.

But their passion was to no avail and Alex Ferguson's men ran out easy winners.

Dwight Yorke tussles with Andy Impey
Possibly with thoughts of United's Champions League home tie against PSV Eindhoven in midweek, Quinton Fortune replaced Ryan Giggs down the left while Nicky Butt came in for Paul Scholes in midfield.

Injuries to David Beckham, Andy Cole and Jaap Stam left the champions with a somewhat unfamiliar line-up.

The changes did not hamper Alex Ferguson's side in the early exchanges however, Leicester finding it difficult to put together any significant build up.

As the two teams settled into the game however, is was Peter Taylor's men who conjured up the best chances.

Darren Eadie surged forward and laid the ball off for Ade Akinbiyi whose neat touch allowed him to beat Ronny Johnsen and fire in a shot but Fabien Barthez collected.

I don't want the players to drop their heads too much - it was the first defeat of the season and I thought the players did well
  Leicester manager Peter Taylor
The home side again came close when a testing cross from Callum Davidson found Akinbiyi who once again rose above Neville to head in - but Fabien Barthez was up to the test.

The league leaders began to push forward and a free-kick from Neil Lennon drifted close to the left-hand post where Gary Rowett had evaded Wes Brown but his left-footed shot soared high over the bar.

It took 37 minutes for Man Utd to break the deadlock - a superb inswinging cross found Sheringham who powered the ball off the post past Tim Flowers into the bottom corner of the net.

The visitors came close to making it two within minutes when an Irwin cross again found Sheringham who headed the ball back across goal into the path of Nicky Butt.

Butt chested down and threaded the ball past two Leicester defenders but just wide of the post.

Teddy Sheringham is in great form and deserved his goals today - he's been playing great stuff for us and I think the England recall has helped him
  Man Utd manager Alex Ferguson
The second half was much more reminiscent of a top-of-the-table encounter.

The Foxes were unlucky to be denied a penalty when Wes Brown appeared to take the man and not the ball in a goalmouth scramble with Robbie Savage.

Leicester's minds were clearly not on the job for the next couple of minutes and they paid dearly for their lack of concentration.

Man United rode their luck and progressed upfield and Sheringham doubled his side's advantage after Tim Flowers was only able to parry a powerful shot from Denis Irwin.

Peter Taylor took action in an attempt to claw back some of the initiative.

Richard Cresswell and Steve Guppy were brought into the fray but they were unable to stem the red tide.

With 20 minutes to go, Alex Ferguson had the luxury of introducing the pace of Ryan Giggs into the attack in place of Teddy Sheringham.

Leicester had one chance left to fight their way back into the game when a delightful through ball found Cresswell yards onside - he went past Barthez who was left stranded 20 yards out but he steered the ball into the side netting.

In a way his hapless attempt summed up Leicester's failings throughout the afternoon - the killer instinct was absent from Filbert Street.

Insult was added to injury when a neat move saw Dwight Yorke and Ole Gunnar Solskjaer interact before the Norwegian scored - his third attempt of the match - in stoppage time.

Leicester: Flowers, Rowett, Davidson, Gilchrist, Elliott, Impey, Lennon, R. Savage, Izzet, Akinbiyi, Eadie.
Subs: Royce, Cresswell, Sinclair, Guppy, Oakes.

Man Utd: Barthez, Irwin, Brown, Silvestre, Johnsen, Butt, Keane, Solskjaer, Fortune, Sheringham, Yorke.
Subs: Scholes, P. Neville, Giggs, Wallwork, Bosnich.

Referee: P Durkin (Dorset)

Search BBC Sport Online
Advanced search options
See also:

14 Oct 00 |  Eng Prem
Premiership: Minute-by-minute
14 Oct 00 |  Football
Sheringham double puts Man Utd top
14 Oct 00 |  Eng Prem
Ball on spot to deny Saints
14 Oct 00 |  Eng Prem
Henry shoots down Villa
14 Oct 00 |  Eng Prem
Leeds front pair destroy Charlton
14 Oct 00 |  Eng Prem
Ten-man Coventry beat Spurs
Links to top Eng Prem stories are at the foot of the page.

Links to other Eng Prem stories

^^ Back to top