BBC Sport
Skip to main contentAccess keys helpA-Z index

[an error occurred while processing this directive]
| Help

Last Updated: Saturday, 21 February, 2004, 17:00 GMT
Charlton 3-2 Blackburn
Carlton Cole with Paolo Di Canio
Claus Jensen scored a last-minute goal to hand Charlton victory over Blackburn - after Blackburn keeper Brad Friedel had looked like earning a draw.

Friedel scored an unlikely equaliser with minutes to go but Jensen popped up to earn all three points for Charlton.

Carlton Cole scored on 10 minutes, turning from close range to blast in before Jason Euell doubled the Addicks' lead after 36 minutes from six yards.

Andy Cole gave Rovers an glimmer of hope before Friedel's close range goal.

The home side began positively when Carlton Cole drilled a right-footed shots from 25 yards, over the bar within two minutes.

But the striker was not to be denied after trading passes with Paolo di Canio he turned neatly in the area and with some excellent closs control shot into the roof of the net.

However in the opening 15 minutes the Addicks were forced to reshuffle at the back when Mark Fish came off injured and was replaced by Jonathan Fortune.

Brett Emerton tried to restore parity after 18 minutes but his drilled right-footed from right side of penalty area was tipped over by Charlton keeper Dean Kiely.

10 mins: Cole opens the scoring
25 mins: Stead hits post
36 mins: Euell adds the second
74 mins: Andy Cole scores for Blackburn
90 mins: Friedel equalises
90 mins: Jensen grabs the winner

The visitors continued to press for the equaliser and were only inches away when Stead's strike from the left hand side of the penalty area strike the woodwork.

Against the run of play Charlton doubled their advantage after a cross by Graham Stuart was steered in left-footed by Euell from the right side of the six-yard box.

The goal was particularly significant for Euell who had been recalled by boss Alan Curbishley as it was his 50th in the Premiership.

Stead then had the opportunity to reduce the deficit before the interval but lifted his effort over the bar.

Blackburn boss Graeme Souness in an attempt to redress the balance made a tactical substituion when he brought Andy Cole on for Stead.

But as in the first half Charlton made the early running and goalscorer Cole hit the side netting with a right-footed attempt.

The introduction of Dwight Yorke to replace Andy Todd on the hour proved crucial for Blackburn.

An inswinging Charlton corner was headed wide by Fortune from the centre of penalty area.

Cole pulled one back on 74 minutes when he intercepted a back pass and made no mistake putting the ball into an empty net.

In the final minute keeper Friedel equalised for the visitors from with a left-footed from the centre of the penalty area.

Jensen volleyed in right-footed from 25 yards in injury time to give Charlton all three points as they ended a run of three successive defeats.

Charlton: Kiely, Kishishev, Perry, Fish (Fortune 15), Hreidarsson, Young, Holland, Euell, Stuart, Di Canio (Konchesky 89), Cole (Jensen 77).
Subs Not Used: Royce, Johansson.

Blackburn: Friedel, Babbel, Short, Todd (Yorke 59), Gray, Neill, Flitcroft (Tugay 28), Emerton, Douglas, Gallagher, Stead (Cole 45).
Subs Not Used: Enckelman, Andresen.

Attendance: 26,332

Referee: U Rennie (S Yorkshire).

BBC Sport's Simon Mann
"Charlton's clinical finishing was the difference"

E-mail services | Sport on mobiles/PDAs


Back to top

Sport Homepage | Football | Cricket | Rugby Union | Rugby League | Tennis | Golf | Motorsport | Boxing | Athletics | Snooker | Horse Racing | Cycling | Disability sport | Olympics 2012 | Sport Relief | Other sport...

BBC Sport Academy >> | BBC News >> | BBC Weather >>
About the BBC | News sources | Privacy & Cookies Policy | Contact us
banner watch listen bbc sport