BBC Sport
Skip to main contentAccess keys helpA-Z index

[an error occurred while processing this directive]
| Help

Last Updated: Saturday, 25 October, 2003, 16:05 GMT 17:05 UK
Wolves comeback stuns Leicester
Colin Cameron
Wolves 4-3 Leicester

Wolverhampton Wanderers produced one of the comebacks of the season to beat Leicester City in a thrilling bottom-of-the table clash at Molineux.

Colin Cameron scored a brace, while Alex Rae and Henri Camara scored one each in Wolves' second half revival to help secure only the home side's second Premiership win.

But it was more misery for Leicester, who suffered their fifth consecutive league defeat.

The visitors had made a blistering start after two goals from Les Ferdinand and a third from Riccardo Scimeca gave the Foxes a 3-0 lead at half-time.

12 mins: A Ferdinand header puts Leicester in front
15 mins: Ferdinand grabs his second from another Izzet corner
35 mins: Ferdinand sets up Scimeca for Leicester's third
52 mins: Cameron begins the Wolves revival
60 mins: Cameron gets his second with a penalty
68 mins: Rae levels the score with a header
86 mins: Camara scores the winner

The first real chance of the game went to Wolves in the 11th minute as Henri Camara unleashed a shot from the left side of the penalty area, only to be denied by a brilliant save from Ian Walker.

But a minute later, Ferdinand set the tone of the opening half, heading home Muzzy Izzet's inswinging corner for the first of three Leicester goals before the break.

In the 15th minute, the evergreen striker got on the end of another Izzet corner to stretch the Foxes' lead and notch up his first double since December 2001.

Scimeca piled on the misery for Wolves with a third goal just before the break, latching on to a pass from Ferdinand 25 yards out.

But the Dave Jones' team refused to lie down and produced a spirited comeback in the second half.

Just seven minutes after the break, Cameron started the revival, slotting the ball in the bottom left corner after a free-kick by Hassan Kachloul.

In the 60th minute, Cameron closed the gap with his second of the day, scoring a penalty after a handball from Keith Gillespie.

And, less than 10 minutes later, Rae headed home Wolves' third to put the home side in reach of victory.

Then in the 86th minute, Camara sealed the comeback, connecting with Dennis Irwin's cross six yards out to cap a truly memorable day at Molineux.

Wolverhampton: Oakes, Irwin, Butler, Craddock, Naylor, Gudjonsson (Newton 22), Cameron, Rae, Camara, Blake, Miller (Kachloul 45).
Subs Not Used: Murray, Iversen, Luzhny.

Leicester: Walker, Curtis, Elliott, Taggart, Rogers, Gillespie (Nalis 65), Izzet, Scimeca, Scowcroft, Ferdinand (Bent 64), Dickov (Hignett 64).
Subs Not Used: Coyne, Stewart.

Booked: Scowcroft, Hignett.

Attendance: 28,578

Referee: P Walton (Northamptonshire).

BBC Five Live's John Murray
"This was great, great entertainment"

E-mail services | Sport on mobiles/PDAs


Back to top

Sport Homepage | Football | Cricket | Rugby Union | Rugby League | Tennis | Golf | Motorsport | Boxing | Athletics | Snooker | Horse Racing | Cycling | Disability sport | Olympics 2012 | Sport Relief | Other sport...

BBC Sport Academy >> | BBC News >> | BBC Weather >>
About the BBC | News sources | Privacy & Cookies Policy | Contact us
banner watch listen bbc sport