BBC Sport
Skip to main contentAccess keys helpA-Z index

[an error occurred while processing this directive]
| Help

Last Updated: Thursday, 28 August, 2003, 01:55 GMT 02:55 UK
O'Shea seals Man Utd win
Man Utd 1-0 Wolves

John O'Shea maintained Manchester United's flawless start to the defence of their Premiership crown with the winner against struggling Wolves.

The Republic of Ireland defender headed his first United goal early on - but the expected avalanche of goals did not materialise as Dave Jones' side performed with huge credit in defeat.

Wolves have still not earned a point on their return to the big time, but that barren streak should have been ended by striker Henri Camara.

Senegal star Camara squandered two glorious one-on-one opportunities to give Wolves hope of an unlikely point against a United side re-shuffled by Sir Alex Ferguson.

But Wolves must take great heart from the fashion in which they more than held their own against the champions, who have made their best Pemiership start, for long periods.


United boss Ferguson handed first starts to summer signings Kleberson and Cristiano Ronaldo as they attempted to prolong Wolves' Premiership agony.

And Wolves suffered the worst possible start when O'Shea headed United in front after only nine minutes.

Goalkeeper Michael Oakes had already saved well from Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, but he was powerless to stop O'Shea's header from Diego Forlan's corner.

But it was Wolves who created the better oppotunites in a first half of great promise for the Premiership newcomers.

And they could have been at least on level terms only for two glaring misses from new striker Camara.

Nathan Blake sent his strike partner clear in the 35th minute and on the stroke of half-time, but with only Tim Howard to beat, Camara's finishes were desperately wayward.

Camara was at the centre of the action after the break as Wolves took encouragement from their opening 45 minutes.

He shot narrowly wide from 20 yards and then sent an acrobatic overhead kick dipping just over the bar.

Ferguson had seen enough of Wolves living in the comfort zone and made a double change after 66 minutes, replacing Kleberson and the erratic Ronaldo with Ryan Giggs and Paul Scholes.

Wolves continued to battle bravely, but it was to no avail as United kept their attack at bay.

Man Utd: Howard, Gary Neville, O'Shea, Keane, Phil Neville, Solskjaer (Bellion 84), Kleberson (Scholes 67), Djemba-Djemba, Ronaldo (Giggs 67), Forlan, van Nistelrooy.
Subs Not Used: Carroll, Fletcher.

Booked: Gary Neville, O'Shea.

Wolves: Oakes, Irwin, Butler, Craddock, Naylor, Newton (Silas 75), Cameron, Ince, Rae, Blake, Camara.
Subs Not Used: Murray, Iversen, Okoronkwo, Clingan.

Booked: Butler, Blake.

Attendance: 67,648.

Referee: G Poll (Hertfordshire).

Man Utd boss Sir Alex Ferguson
"It was a long night for us"

Wolves boss Dave Jones
"We showed our character"

E-mail services | Sport on mobiles/PDAs


Back to top

Sport Homepage | Football | Cricket | Rugby Union | Rugby League | Tennis | Golf | Motorsport | Boxing | Athletics | Snooker | Horse Racing | Cycling | Disability sport | Olympics 2012 | Sport Relief | Other sport...

BBC Sport Academy >> | BBC News >> | BBC Weather >>
About the BBC | News sources | Privacy & Cookies Policy | Contact us
banner watch listen bbc sport