Skip to main contentAccess keys helpA-Z index

[an error occurred while processing this directive]
| Help

Last Updated:  Saturday, 1 March, 2003, 16:55 GMT
Blackburn edge out Man City
Blackburn goalscorer David Dunn
Dunn deservedly put Blackburn ahead in the first half
Blackburn 1-0 Man City

David Dunn kept alive Blackburn's hopes of a place in the Uefa Cup, and dented Manchester City's own ambitions, with the only goal of an entertaining encounter.

Dunn, who scored the winner against Chelsea last week, made it two in two games with a close-range header 13 minutes into the match.

City laid siege to the Blackburn goal in the second half but could not find the vital touch, with Robbie Fowler the principal offender.

Blackburn got their reward for a bright start when Carlo Nash could only parry Egil Ostenstad's shot into the path of Dunn.

And the England international, transfer-listed earlier in the season by manager Graeme Souness, nodded home from close range.

Dunn was again involved as Blackburn sought to double their advantage, his 40-yard pass finding Andy Cole before Nash scrambled out of his area to clear with his head.

But Manchester City, still smarting from a 5-1 drubbing at the hands of Arsenal last week, gradually began to find their feet.

Just before the half-hour mark, Nicolas Anelka found Fowler 18 yards out and Brad Friedel did well to tip over a fierce left-footed shot from the former Liverpool striker.

As City improved, Souness was forced to make a substitution as Blackburn's injury crisis deepened.

Ostendad, a late replacement for Dwight Yorke who injured himself in the warm-up, was withdrawn just before half time allowing Hakan Sukur to make an unexpected debut for the home side.

Blackburn were fortunate to take their lead into the half-time interval.

Fowler, still seeking his first goal for City, latched on to Marc-Vivien Foe's cross but as he hesitated, Henning Berg dived in to block the shot.

Blackburn's Garry Flitcroft challenges Kevin Horlock
City pressed hard for an equaliser
As the second half got underway, Ali Benarbia, a half-time replacement for Eyal Berkovic, was immediately involved in the City attack, his pinpoint pass finding Anelka racing through on goal.

But Friedel was alert to the danger and he quickly came to his side's rescue again, palming away Benarbia's header from substitute Shaun Wright-Phillips' cross.

Fowler was off target moments later, his shot skimming past the post with the goalkeeper beaten for once.

But as City pressed, Blackburn took the opportunity to break and Souness was left incredulous when Cole wasted a chance to put the result beyond doubt.

The striker bore down on goal but delayed his pass too long and when the ball eventually fell to Dunn, Nash was on hand to make the save.

Blackburn: Friedel, Neill, Berg, Taylor, McEveley (Johansson 45), Gillespie (Todd 66), Tugay, Dunn, Flitcroft, Cole, Ostenstad (Sukur 42).
Subs Not Used: Grabbi, Kelly.

Booked: Neill, Flitcroft.

Man City: Nash, Sommeil, Wiekens (Goater 82), Distin, Jihai (Wright-Phillips 58), Berkovic (Benarbia 45), Horlock, Foe, Jensen, Anelka, Fowler.
Subs Not Used: Weaver, Bischoff.

Attendance: 28,647

Referee: S Dunn (Avon).

BBC Five Live's Jimmy Armfield
"Blackburn were strong at the back"



E-mail services | Sport on mobiles/PDAs


Back to top

Sport Homepage | Football | Cricket | Rugby Union | Rugby League | Tennis | Golf | Motorsport | Boxing | Athletics | Snooker | Horse Racing | Cycling | Disability sport | Olympics 2012 | Sport Relief | Other sport...

BBC Sport Academy >> | BBC News >> | BBC Weather >>
About the BBC | News sources | Privacy & Cookies Policy | Contact us
banner watch listen bbc sport