Scotland Wales Northern Ireland

You are in: You are in: Football: Eng Prem  
Front Page 
FA Cup 
Eng Prem 
World Cup 2002 
Champions League 
Uefa Cup 
Worthington Cup 
Eng Div 1 
Eng Div 2 
Eng Div 3 
Eng Conf 
Scot Prem 
Scottish Cup 
CIS Ins Cup 
Scot Div 1 
Scot Div 2 
Scot Div 3 
League of Wales 
Rugby Union 
Rugby League 
Other Sports 
Sports Talk 
In Depth 
Photo Galleries 
TV & Radio 
BBC Pundits 
Question of Sport 
Funny Old Game 

Around The Uk

BBC News

BBC Weather

Friday, 14 December, 2001, 07:46 GMT
Charlton hold out
Bolton striker Michael Ricketts goes close
Michael Ricketts' shot is saved by Dean Kiely
E-mail your reaction to Football Talk

Bolton 0-0 Charlton

Bolton failed to score for the third consecutive game as Charlton held out for a goalless draw at the Reebok Stadium.

The home side dominated the encounter but were unable to capitalise on their possession, and the visitors extended their unbeaten run to four games.

Michael Ricketts went closest to breaking the deadlock for Bolton when he hit the bar in the 20th minute.

Charlton spent most of the match on the defensive but could still have stolen victory through Claus Jensen in the second half.

Rod Wallace is first to the ball
Rod Wallace beats Mark Fish and Jorge Costa
Following impressive wins against Chelsea and Tottenham, it was a low-key performance from the Londoners that never looked likely to win three points.

Bolton manager Sam Allardyce recalled his key players after making several changes for the midweek Worthington Cup clash at Tottenham.

That decision led to a 6-0 defeat, and although Bolton improved on that performance they still looked short of firepower.

When Kevin Lisbie wasted a glorious chance in the second minute it seemed as though Charlton would carry on where they left off against Tottenham.

It was like against Fulham a couple of weeks ago, when we created enough opportunities to win the game but didn't - and that's a particular problem
Bolton boss Sam Allardyce
Lisbie saw his header palmed away by Bolton keeper Jussi Jaaskelainen, but from then on the home side took control.

In-form striker Michael Ricketts was at the heart of most of Bolton's good work, and an early run down the left wing created a good opportunity for Rod Wallace.

Ricardo Gardner also went close before Per Frandsen fired over from 20 yards after beating two defenders.

But it was Ricketts who went closest in the first half, his powerful shot in the 19th minute coming back off the bar.

One point is a big point and a win is a massive three points
Charlton manager Alan Curbishley
Chances were few and far between for Charlton, with Lisbie wasting the best when his effort was parried by Wanderers' keeper Jaaskelainen on the half-hour.

Bolton maintained their grip on the match after the break but were unable to break down a well-organised Charlton defence.

Kevin Nolan blasted over from the left side of the penalty area on the hour, but neither keeper was seriously troubled in the final 30 minutes.

Jensen's free-kick was tipped over by Jaaskelainen late on after he was fouled by Bruno N'Gotty, but a third consecutive victory would have flattered the visitors.

Bolton: Jaaskelainen, N'Gotty, Bergsson, Whitlow, Charlton, Nolan, Warhurst, Frandsen, Gardner, Wallace, Ricketts. Subs: Poole, Hendry, Pedersen, Holdsworth, Southall.

Charlton: Kiely, Young, Fish, Costa, Powell, Stuart, Parker, Fortune, Jensen, Euell, Lisbie. Subs: Bart-Williams, Brown, Ilic, Konchesky, Johansson.

BBC Sport's Jimmy Armfield
"Both teams lacked quality at important times"
Links to more Eng Prem stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Eng Prem stories

^^ Back to top