Scotland Wales Northern Ireland

You are in: You are in: Football: Eng Prem  
Front Page 
FA Cup 
Eng Prem 
World Cup 2002 
Champions League 
Uefa Cup 
Worthington Cup 
Eng Div 1 
Eng Div 2 
Eng Div 3 
Eng Conf 
Scot Prem 
Scottish Cup 
CIS Ins Cup 
Scot Div 1 
Scot Div 2 
Scot Div 3 
League of Wales 
Rugby Union 
Rugby League 
Other Sports 
Sports Talk 
In Depth 
Photo Galleries 
TV & Radio 
BBC Pundits 
Question of Sport 
Funny Old Game 

Around The Uk

BBC News

BBC Weather

Saturday, 1 December, 2001, 18:34 GMT
Charlton deny Newcastle
Jonatan Johansson's shot is blocked by Aaron Hughes
Jonatan Johansson went close in the first half
E-mail your reaction to Football Talk

Charlton 1-1 Newcastle

A red card for captain Alan Shearer and a late equaliser from Charlton substitute Charlie MacDonald ensured another miserable trip to the capital for Newcastle.

  Key moments
53 mins: Bellamy hits the post for Newcastle
73 mins: Speed puts Newcastle ahead
83 mins: MacDonald levels for Charlton
87 mins: Shearer sent off
Bobby Robson's side had looked on course for their first win in London for four years when Gary Speed put them ahead in the 73rd minute.

But after dominating the second half it was no surprise when MacDonald levelled just moments after coming on in the 83rd minute.

And with the chance of a vital victory apparently gone, Shearer was sent off in the 87th minute for apparently elbowing Charlton's Jon Fortune.

The frustration of the Newcastle players was clear as they let the chance of a first win in 28 trips to London slip away.

The sending-off was a disgrace and we will appeal
Bobby Robson
Newcastle manager
The match began slowly and the major action in a quiet opening half came on the Charlton substitutes' bench.

With Alan Curbishley's squad already stretched by injuries, he was forced to replace both Shaun Bartlett and Steve Brown in the first half.

Jonatan Johansson had the clearest opportunity of the opening period in the 17th minute, but Shay Given raced off the line to block the Finn's shot when he was through.

After edging a low-key start to the match, Newcastle were under pressure for much of the second half and survived two penalty appeals.

Referee Andy D'Urso sends off Alan Shearer
Alan Shearer is shown the red card at the Valley
The Charlton bench was incensed when referee Andy D'Urso waved away calls for a spot-kick after Claus Jensen's free-kick appeared to hit a Newcastle hand soon after the break.

The same player had another case for a penalty soon after when his cross cannoned off Andy O'Brien, but again the appeal was turned down.

Craig Bellamy was Newcastle's biggest threat, going closest in the 53rd minute with a shot that beat Dean Kiely but hit the post.

I have never seen Jon Fortune - either in training or matches - go down, and he told me he was caught across the throat
Alan Curbishley
Charlton boss
It was still very much against the run of play when Speed gave the visitors' the lead, firing past Dean Kiely in the 73rd minute.

With the final whistle approaching it seemed that Newcastle might hang on for that elusive win in London.

But Curbishley's third substitution of the afternoon proved decisive, as MacDonald was on hand to equalise from the edge of the area after a scramble in the Newcastle box.

Charlton: Kiely, Young, Brown, Fish, Powell, Stuart, Parker, Jensen, Robinson, Bartlett, Johansson. Subs: Ilic, Konchesky, Fortune, Lisbie, MacDonald.

Newcastle: Given, Hughes, O'Brien, Dabizas, Elliott, Solano, Lee, Speed, Robert, Shearer, Bellamy. Subs: Harper, Acuna, Lua-Lua, Ameobi, Distin.

Referee: A D'Urso (Billericay)

BBC Sport's David Oates reports
"Newcastle's long wait for a win in the capital continues"
Newcastle's Alan Shearer
"I'd kindly ask the referee to look again at the video"
Links to more Eng Prem stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Eng Prem stories

^^ Back to top