Everton 1 - 1 Blackburn
Page last updated at 16:58 GMT, Saturday, 21 January 2012
Blackburn Rovers picked up a deserved point at Everton thanks to David Goodwillie's equaliser, but remain in the Premier League's bottom three.
Tim Cahill gave Everton a controversial lead with Maroune Fellaini's handball in the build-up missed by the referee.
Rovers hit the post twice in the first half through Scott Dann and David Dunn and were generally the better team.
They levelled after Tim Howard's fumble saw Cahill crash a goal-line clearance off Goodwillie and into the net.
The result saw Blackburn temporarily move out of the bottom three, but Bolton's 3-1 victory over Liverpool later in the day saw them slip back into the relegation places.
Nonetheless manager Steve Kean would have been highly encouraged by what was an excellent performance from his team.
The opening periods of the game were entertaining with both sides going close. Victor Anichebe made a mess of a volley at one end for Everton and Howard used his feet to save well from Dunn, following David Hoilett's fine run.
Blackburn looked the most likely to break the deadlock, though, with Dunn in lively form while Dann saw his looping far-post head bounce back off the post.
Did you know?Continue reading the main story
Tim Cahill's last goal for Everton was on 20 December, 2010.
But it was Everton who took the lead and, having gone close moments earlier through Phillip Neville, who was celebrating his 35th birthday, they went ahead in controversial circumstances.
Cahill scored it, his first goal in 34 games, tapping in from close range. However Fellaini should have been penalised by Mark Halsey in the build up for a handball as he palmed the ball into the Australian's path.
Blackburn refused to feel sorry for themselves and went in search of an equaliser. Dunn crashed a shot off the post from just inside the box after Goodwillie's cross was deflected into his path.
Cahill had a late header on the stroke of half time which was saved by Paul Robinson but it was the closest they would go for a while.
Blackburn pressed hard in the second half, starting it brightly but struggled to create a clear cut opportunity - missing suspended striker Yakubu's power up front. Radosav Petrovic tried his luck from 30 yards with his shot a foot wide of Howard's post.
Everton introduced Royston Drenthe for Louis Saha while Mauro Formica came on for Dunn as Steve Kean tried another option.
Drenthe's first real contribution was to fire a fierce ball across the face of the goal but no Everton player could keep up with the speedy Dutchman.
And Blackburn got the equaliser their play deserved in fortuitous circumstances.
Morten Gamst Pedersen's free kick into the box slipped through the hands of Howard and as Cahill went to clear the ball off the line it crashed against Goodwillie and went into the back of the net.
It meant Blackburn kept their record of scoring in every league game away from home.
Did you know?Continue reading the main story
Blackburn have failed to keep a clean sheet this season.
Everton went close to retaking the lead late on with Shane Duffy unlucky to see his close-range header come back off the crossbar while at the other end Formica's chip was just wide for Blackburn
And then in the last minute Everton again came close with a combination of fine keeping and brave defending keeping them at bay. First Fellaini saw his header cleared off the line and then Denis Stracqualursi's subsequent shot was well kept out by Robinson.
Live text and stats
Saturday, 21 January 2012
|Home Team||Score||Away Team||Time|
- 24 Howard
- 03 Baines
- 05 Heitinga
- 18 Neville
- 34 Duffy
- 04 Gibson yellow card (Stracqualursi 87)
- 17 Cahill
- 25 Fellaini
- 08 Saha (Drenthe 54 yellow card)
- 09 Donovan
- 28 Anichebe (Vellios 80)
- 01 Robinson
- 03 Olsson
- 05 Givet
- 16 Dann
- 08 Dunn (Formica 60)
- 12 Pedersen
- 14 Petrovic yellow card
- 15 Nzonzi
- 35 Lowe
- 23 Hoilett yellow card
- 25 Goodwillie (Modeste 75)
- Everton 54%
- Blackburn 46%
Attempts on target
- Everton 8
- Blackburn 8
Attempts off target
- Everton 7
- Blackburn 6
- Everton 5
- Blackburn 8
- Everton 15
- Blackburn 13
- Final Result
- 94:41 The referee brings the game to a close.
- Full Time
- 90:00+2:34 Foul by Apostolos Vellios on Radosav Petrovic, free kick awarded. Paul Robinson takes the free kick. Denis Stracqualursi takes a shot. Save made by Paul Robinson.
- 90:00+1:15 Phil Neville gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on David Hoilett. Morten Gamst Pedersen takes the direct free kick.
- 90:00+0:24 Corner from the right by-line taken by Landon Donovan, Marouane Fellaini takes a shot. Scott Dann manages to make a clearance.
- 90:00+0:09 Marouane Fellaini takes a shot. Save by Paul Robinson.
- 88:52 Anthony Modeste has an effort from just inside the box that misses to the left of the target.
- 87:53 Headed effort from deep inside the penalty area by Marouane Fellaini misses to the left of the goal.
- 86:32 Paul Robinson takes the direct free kick.
- 86:32 Substitution Denis Stracqualursi on for Darron Gibson.
- 86:32 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Morten Gamst Pedersen by Tim Cahill.
- 86:11 Inswinging corner taken right-footed by Royston Drenthe from the right by-line, clearance made by Radosav Petrovic.
- 84:58 Morten Gamst Pedersen gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Landon Donovan. Darron Gibson shoots direct from the free kick, blocked by Gael Givet.
- 83:47 Tim Cahill gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Martin Olsson. Direct free kick taken by Martin Olsson.
- 83:12 David Hoilett has an effort at goal from 20 yards. Blocked by Marouane Fellaini.
- 82:07 Direct free kick taken by Paul Robinson.
- 82:07 Booking Royston Drenthe is cautioned by the ref for unsporting behaviour.
- 82:01 Royston Drenthe challenges Jason Lowe unfairly and gives away a free kick.
- 81:01 Free kick awarded for a foul by Morten Gamst Pedersen on Royston Drenthe. The ball is crossed by Leighton Baines, Shane Duffy takes a shot.
- 79:04 Free kick taken by Phil Neville. Shot from 35 yards by Anthony Modeste missed to the left of goal.
- 79:04 Substitution Apostolos Vellios on for Victor Anichebe.
- 79:04 Mauro Formica concedes a free kick for a foul on Royston Drenthe.
- 78:04 The referee blows for offside. Jason Lowe takes the indirect free kick.
- 75:59 Free kick taken by Phil Neville.
- 75:59 Booking David Hoilett booked for unsporting behaviour.
- 75:48 Phil Neville fouled by David Hoilett, the ref awards a free kick.
- 74:45 Tim Howard restarts play with the free kick.
- 74:45 Substitution Anthony Modeste is brought on as a substitute for David Goodwillie.
- 74:45 Morten Gamst Pedersen gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Leighton Baines.
- 73:21 Outswinging corner taken by Morten Gamst Pedersen from the left by-line.
- 73:02 David Hoilett takes a shot. Johnny Heitinga gets a block in.
- 71:19 Assist on the goal came from Morten Gamst Pedersen.
- 71:19 GOAL - David Goodwillie:Everton 1 - 1 Blackburn David Goodwillie gets on the score sheet with a goal from close in low into the middle of the goal. Everton 1-1 Blackburn.
- 70:36 Free kick taken by Morten Gamst Pedersen.
- 70:36 Booking The referee cautions Darron Gibson for unsporting behaviour.
- 70:33 Unfair challenge on David Hoilett by Darron Gibson results in a free kick.
- 68:26 Victor Anichebe challenges Scott Dann unfairly and gives away a free kick. Free kick taken by Paul Robinson.
- 67:45 Royston Drenthe crosses the ball.
- 64:31 Unfair challenge on Leighton Baines by Jason Lowe results in a free kick. The free kick is delivered left-footed by Leighton Baines from left channel.
- 63:22 Corner from the left by-line taken by Morten Gamst Pedersen, Tim Cahill manages to make a clearance.
- 62:31 Darron Gibson gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on David Hoilett. Free kick crossed by Morten Gamst Pedersen, Tim Cahill gets a block in.
- 61:49 Effort from outside the penalty area by Morten Gamst Pedersen goes wide left of the goal.
- 59:57 Radosav Petrovic produces a right-footed shot from long range which goes wide right of the goal.
- 59:23 Substitution (Blackburn) makes a substitution, with Mauro Formica coming on for David Dunn.
- 56:22 Foul by Royston Drenthe on Martin Olsson, free kick awarded. Free kick taken by Morten Gamst Pedersen.
- 53:58 Substitution Royston Drenthe comes on in place of Louis Saha.
- 53:44 Tim Cahill produces a left-footed shot from just outside the box that goes wide left of the goal.
- 52:03 Morten Gamst Pedersen takes a inswinging corner.
- 50:09 David Dunn fouled by Marouane Fellaini, the ref awards a free kick. Direct free kick taken by David Dunn.
- 49:50 Leighton Baines fouled by Morten Gamst Pedersen, the ref awards a free kick. Leighton Baines takes the free kick.
- 47:10 Inswinging corner taken by Morten Gamst Pedersen from the right by-line played to the near post, clearance by Tim Howard.
- 46:03 Free kick awarded for a foul by Radosav Petrovic on Marouane Fellaini. Phil Neville takes the free kick.
- 45:01 The referee blows his whistle to start the second half.
- Half Time
- 45:00+2:13 The referee calls an end to the first half.
- 44:45 Tim Cahill takes a shot. Save by Paul Robinson.
- 44:20 Effort on goal by Marouane Fellaini from 20 yards. Louis Saha gets a block in.
- 43:39 Unfair challenge on Louis Saha by Scott Dann results in a free kick. Leighton Baines takes the free kick.
- 41:36 Leighton Baines has an effort direct from the free kick.
- 41:36 Booking Radosav Petrovic is given a yellow card.
- 41:19 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Landon Donovan by Radosav Petrovic.
- 40:42 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Martin Olsson by Darron Gibson. Direct free kick taken by Paul Robinson.
- 38:39 The official flags Morten Gamst Pedersen offside. Free kick taken by Tim Howard.
- 36:24 David Goodwillie takes a shot. Blocked by Johnny Heitinga. Effort from inside the penalty box by David Dunn hits the post.
- 35:11 Tim Cahill gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Radosav Petrovic. Paul Robinson takes the free kick.
- 32:57 Shot by Landon Donovan from deep inside the penalty area misses to the right of the target.
- 32:30 Louis Saha fouled by David Dunn, the ref awards a free kick. Leighton Baines restarts play with the free kick.
- 31:01 Radosav Petrovic gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Tim Cahill. Shane Duffy takes the direct free kick.
- 27:41 Effort from just outside the area by Radosav Petrovic goes over the bar.
- 26:42 Marouane Fellaini gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Steven Nzonzi. David Dunn takes the direct free kick.
- 23:51 The assist for the goal came from Marouane Fellaini.
- 23:51 GOAL - Tim Cahill:Everton 1 - 0 Blackburn A goal is scored by Tim Cahill from close range low into the middle of the goal. Everton 1-0 Blackburn.
- 23:36 Inswinging corner taken from the left by-line by Landon Donovan.
- 23:08 Phil Neville takes a shot. Blocked by David Hoilett.
- 22:43 Corner taken right-footed by Landon Donovan from the right by-line to the near post, Jason Lowe manages to make a clearance.
- 18:03 Landon Donovan takes the inswinging corner, Shane Duffy has a header from deep inside the six-yard box and clears the crossbar.
- 16:18 Foul by Leighton Baines on Morten Gamst Pedersen, free kick awarded. Direct free kick taken by Morten Gamst Pedersen.
- 14:47 Outswinging corner taken left-footed by Morten Gamst Pedersen from the left by-line to the near post, clearance made by Louis Saha.
- 14:00 The ball is swung over by Leighton Baines, clearance by Scott Dann.
- Correction - 13:01 The assistant referee signals for offside against David Dunn. Tim Howard restarts play with the free kick.
- 13:01 David Dunn is caught offside. Free kick taken by Tim Howard.
- 12:25 Corner taken left-footed by Morten Gamst Pedersen, clearance made by Shane Duffy.
- 11:29 Effort from 25 yards by David Dunn. Save made by Tim Howard.
- 8:15 Corner taken by Morten Gamst Pedersen, Scott Dann takes a shot. Blocked by Landon Donovan.
- 7:46 Inswinging corner taken left-footed by Morten Gamst Pedersen from the right by-line to the near post, save by Tim Howard.
- 7:32 David Dunn takes a shot. Johnny Heitinga gets a block in.
- 6:19 David Dunn takes a shot. Tim Howard makes a save.
- 2:20 Shot on goal by Victor Anichebe from inside the box goes harmlessly over the target.
- Correction - 2:06 Foul by Steven Nzonzi on Tim Cahill, free kick awarded. Free kick taken by Marouane Fellaini.
- 2:06 Steven Nzonzi gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Tim Cahill. Free kick taken by Marouane Fellaini.
- 1:26 Free kick awarded for a foul by Landon Donovan on Martin Olsson. Paul Robinson takes the direct free kick.
- 0:00 The match gets underway.
Live text and data provided by The Press Association.
Premier League results
Premier League table snapshot