Stoke 1 - 2 West Brom
Page last updated at 17:32 GMT, Saturday, 21 January 2012
Graham Dorrans's late free-kick earned West Brom their first league win of 2012 as they edged past Stoke City.
James Morrison gave Albion the lead when his swerving effort from the edge of the area caught out Stoke goalkeeper Thomas Sorensen.
Ben Foster saved a second-half penalty from Jonathan Walters before substitute Cameron Jerome headed an equaliser.
Just as Stoke looked to have earned a point, Dorrans hit a free-kick through a crowd of players into the net.
Stoke came into the game with just one win in five league outings, but only a solitary defeat in nine.
Did you know?Continue reading the main story
- The last time West Brom beat Stoke was in September 2003 when they met in the second tier with the Baggies winning 1-0 at the Hawthorns.
That ensured they were clear favourites against a West Brom side who had not beaten them in 10 games.
The Baggies' form coming into the game was hardly inspiring either, with three league defeats on the trot instigating a slide down the table from their comfortable mid-table position at Christmas.
Roy Hodgson's side got off to a bright start. Morrison's long ball forward got caught up in the wind at a blustery Britannia Stadium to allow Jerome Thomas to get in behind the Stoke defence, but his shot was saved by Sorensen.
The Dane then pulled off a sensational save after Morrison hit a rasping strike that the keeper managed to tip on to the underside of the bar.
However, a mistake marred the Stoke keeper's solid performance as Morrison opened the scoring.
The midfielder hit a low strike that swerved just in front of Sorensen, who failed to adjust in time and could only get a hand to the ball before it crept over the line.
The woodwork again denied Morrison after the restart when the midfielder controlled the ball on the edge of the area and fired past Sorensen, only for it to bounce off the upright.
Stoke then won a penalty in controversial fashion when Gareth McAuley brought down Walters in the box.
Despite protests from the Albion players, referee Anthony Taylor pointed to the spot. However, Ben Foster stooped down to save Republic of Ireland international Walters's powerful spot-kick.
Stoke boss Tony Pulis brought off Ryan Shotton and replaced him with Cameron Jerome - and the striker met fellow substitute Jermaine Pennant's free-kick to bring the game level with four minutes to go.
Did you know?Continue reading the main story
- Cameron Jerome's two Premier League goals for Stoke this season have both come when he has been introduced as a substitute.
That looked to have been it but, in injury time, Dorrans stepped up to take a free-kick out wide on the left. His effort somehow found its way through a crowd of players before nestling in the bottom corner to earn West Brom a deserved victory.
Stoke manager Tony Pulis:
"I am disappointed. That is probably as flat as we have been in a long time. I have not seen the two goals yet but they looked like ones we do not normally concede.
"What we have achieved over the past couple of months means we have set high standards, but we have not lived up to those in this game.
"The second goal was a disappointing goal to concede but it was not our day. We have got a big game against Derby next week, you have to knuckle down and bounce back."
West Brom manager Roy Hodgson:
"It was a significant victory. It was terrific to come back today after last week's defeat against Norwich and get three points.
"We had a few chances in the second half, but when they get a late equaliser it becomes a worry that they might go on to win it with the home fans behind them.
"The better chances were ours so I think we can say we deserve it."
Live text and stats
Saturday, 21 January 2012
|Home Team||Score||Away Team||Time|
- 29 Sorensen
- 04 Huth
- 17 Shawcross
- 30 Shotton (Jerome 78)
- 39 Woodgate (Pennant 52)
- 06 Whelan
- 12 Wilson
- 24 Delap (Wilkinson 88)
- 26 Etherington
- 19 Walters
- 25 Crouch
- 01 Foster
- 03 Olsson
- 20 Shorey
- 23 McAuley
- 30 Tamas
- 07 Morrison
- 14 Thomas (Dawson 90+2)
- 17 Dorrans
- 21 Mulumbu
- 31 Cox (Tchoyi 87)
- 32 Fortune (Long 83)
- Stoke 52%
- West Brom 48%
Attempts on target
- Stoke 3
- West Brom 6
Attempts off target
- Stoke 7
- West Brom 9
- Stoke 5
- West Brom 1
- Stoke 10
- West Brom 10
- Final Result
- Full Time
- 90:00+4:02 The final whistle is blown by the referee.
- 90:00+3:26 Free kick awarded for a foul by Peter Crouch on Graham Dorrans. Ben Foster restarts play with the free kick.
- 90:00+1:31 Substitution Jerome Thomas goes off and Craig Dawson comes on.
- 90:00+0:17 Assist on the goal came from James Morrison.
- 90:00+0:17 GOAL - Graham Dorrans:Stoke 1 - 2 West Brom Free kick scored by Graham Dorrans from long range to the bottom right corner of the goal. Stoke 1-2 West Brom.
- 89:22 Free kick awarded for a foul by Jonathan Walters on James Morrison.
- 88:13 Gabriel Tamas takes a shot from long range which goes wide right of the target.
- 87:16 Substitution Andy Wilkinson is brought on as a substitute for Rory Delap.
- 87:04 James Morrison has an effort at goal from outside the box which misses left.
- 86:13 Substitution (West Brom) makes a substitution, with Somen Tchoyi coming on for Simon Cox.
- 85:23 Assist on the goal came from Jermaine Pennant.
- 85:23 GOAL - Cameron Jerome:Stoke 1 - 1 West Brom Cameron Jerome scores a headed goal from close in. Stoke 1-1 West Brom.
- 84:47 Youssouf Mulumbu concedes a free kick for a foul on Jermaine Pennant. Jermaine Pennant produces a cross,
- 84:05 The ball is crossed by Rory Delap, clearance by Nicky Shorey.
- 82:10 Ben Foster restarts play with the free kick.
- 82:10 Substitution Marc-Antoine Fortune leaves the field to be replaced by Shane Long.
- 82:10 Free kick awarded for a foul by Jermaine Pennant on Gareth McAuley.
- 80:47 The ball is delivered by Jermaine Pennant.
- 77:40 Substitution Cameron Jerome replaces Ryan Shotton.
- 77:40 Matthew Etherington delivers the ball.
- 76:47 Peter Crouch fouled by Youssouf Mulumbu, the ref awards a free kick. Glenn Whelan takes the free kick.
- 76:07 The ball is crossed by Marc-Antoine Fortune, Robert Huth makes a clearance. James Morrison has an effort at goal from deep inside the area missing to the right of the target.
- 75:24 Marc Wilson takes a shot. Gabriel Tamas gets a block in.
- 74:18 Graham Dorrans produces a right-footed shot from just outside the area that goes harmlessly over the target.
- 71:52 Inswinging corner taken right-footed by Jermaine Pennant, save made by Ben Foster.
- 71:40 Penalty taken by Jonathan Walters saved by Ben Foster. Stoke 0-1 West Brom.
- 70:33 Gareth McAuley concedes a Penalty for a foul on Jonathan Walters.
- 69:52 The ball is delivered by Matthew Etherington, clearance made by Graham Dorrans.
- 67:34 Matthew Etherington produces a cross, clearance by Jonas Olsson.
- 65:07 The ball is delivered by Jerome Thomas.
- 63:10 Jermaine Pennant delivers the ball, Jonathan Walters has a headed effort at goal from close in which goes wide left of the goal.
- 61:46 Shot from a long way out by Ryan Shotton goes wide of the left-hand upright.
- 61:22 Inswinging corner taken left-footed by Matthew Etherington played to the near post, clearance by Youssouf Mulumbu.
- 60:47 Free kick awarded for a foul by Simon Cox on Robert Huth. Indirect free kick taken by Marc Wilson.
- 59:13 Peter Crouch has a shot on goal from outside the area which misses left.
- 58:50 Jonathan Walters delivers the ball, comfortable save by Ben Foster.
- 58:11 Jerome Thomas takes a shot. Robert Huth gets a block in.
- 56:16 Inswinging corner taken left-footed by Matthew Etherington, Youssouf Mulumbu manages to make a clearance.
- 55:00 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Jermaine Pennant by Youssouf Mulumbu. Strike comes in from Matthew Etherington from the free kick.
- 53:32 Outswinging corner taken by Graham Dorrans, Jonas Olsson gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Thomas Sorensen. Free kick taken by Thomas Sorensen.
- 52:15 Foul by Youssouf Mulumbu on Jonathan Walters, free kick awarded. Direct free kick taken by Glenn Whelan.
- 51:35 Substitution Jonathan Woodgate goes off and Jermaine Pennant comes on.
- 50:42 James Morrison produces a right-footed shot from just inside the penalty area and strikes the post.
- 49:40 Jonathan Walters sends in a cross, Ben Foster makes a save.
- 49:22 Marc-Antoine Fortune takes a shot. Blocked by Robert Huth.
- 47:45 Centre by Marc-Antoine Fortune, save made by Thomas Sorensen.
- 46:51 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Jerome Thomas by Rory Delap. Jerome Thomas restarts play with the free kick.
- 46:00 Jonathan Walters has an effort at goal from outside the penalty box which goes wide right of the target.
- 45:01 The referee gets the second half underway.
- Half Time
- 45:00+1:03 The half-time whistle blows.
- 45:00+0:36 Jonathan Walters gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on James Morrison. Free kick taken by Ben Foster.
- 44:20 The ball is crossed by Jerome Thomas, Ryan Shawcross makes a clearance.
- 40:00 James Morrison produces a right-footed shot from outside the penalty box and misses left.
- 39:51 Jerome Thomas sends in a cross, Ryan Shawcross manages to make a clearance.
- 38:17 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Peter Crouch by Gabriel Tamas. Free kick crossed by Matthew Etherington, save by Ben Foster.
- 36:14 James Morrison fouled by Jonathan Woodgate, the ref awards a free kick. Free kick taken by Jonas Olsson.
- 34:52 Youssouf Mulumbu provided the assist for the goal.
- 34:52 GOAL - James Morrison:Stoke 0 - 1 West Brom James Morrison grabs a goal from long distance low into the middle of the goal. Stoke 0-1 West Brom.
- 34:10 Unfair challenge on Marc-Antoine Fortune by Robert Huth results in a free kick. Indirect free kick taken by Ben Foster.
- 33:06 Ryan Shotton produces a cross.
- 31:35 Inswinging corner taken left-footed by Matthew Etherington.
- 31:28 The ball is crossed by Marc Wilson, Jonas Olsson manages to make a clearance.
- 29:36 Headed effort from inside the area by Ryan Shotton misses to the right of the goal.
- 27:05 Jonathan Walters has an effort at goal from just outside the box which goes wide of the right-hand post.
- 26:10 Peter Crouch fouled by Jonas Olsson, the ref awards a free kick. Glenn Whelan takes the free kick.
- 25:48 Shot from just outside the penalty area by Graham Dorrans misses to the left of the target.
- 25:05 James Morrison takes a shot. Save by Thomas Sorensen.
- 23:08 Unfair challenge on Nicky Shorey by Peter Crouch results in a free kick. Free kick taken by Ben Foster.
- 22:49 Jonathan Walters takes a shot. Jonas Olsson gets a block in.
- 22:35 Graham Dorrans delivers the ball, Ryan Shawcross makes a clearance.
- 22:05 The ball is delivered by Gareth McAuley.
- 20:40 Unfair challenge on Jerome Thomas by Ryan Shotton results in a free kick. Nicky Shorey crosses the ball in from the free kick, Jonathan Walters makes a clearance.
- 17:43 The ball is crossed by Ryan Shotton, clearance by Jonas Olsson.
- 16:56 Long range shot from James Morrison misses to the left of the target.
- 13:34 Effort from the edge of the box by Simon Cox goes wide of the right-hand upright.
- 10:34 Corner taken by Matthew Etherington, save made by Ben Foster.
- 7:30 Foul by Marc-Antoine Fortune on Robert Huth, free kick awarded. Indirect free kick taken by Thomas Sorensen.
- 5:20 The offside flag is raised against Marc-Antoine Fortune. Marc Wilson takes the indirect free kick.
- 5:01 Graham Dorrans sends in a cross, Jonathan Woodgate manages to make a clearance.
- 4:30 Jerome Thomas takes a shot. Blocked by Thomas Sorensen.
- 4:11 The ball is delivered by Marc Wilson, clearance by Gabriel Tamas.
- 1:14 Rory Delap challenges James Morrison unfairly and gives away a free kick. Free kick taken by James Morrison.
- 0:00 The game begins.
Live text and data provided by The Press Association.
Premier League results
Premier League table snapshot