West Brom 1 - 2 Norwich
Page last updated at 16:54 GMT, Saturday, 14 January 2012
Steve Morison's emphatic late header proved the winner as Norwich City beat a misfiring West Brom at The Hawthorns.
Andrew Surman volleyed the Canaries ahead on the stroke of half time after the Baggies had spurned a handful of clear chances.
Shane Long made an immediate impact from the bench, slotting in a penalty after Jerome Thomas had been fouled.
But Morison made it three straight defeats for Albion with his second winning goal in as many league games.
Norwich equalled Blackburn's Premier League record by going 21 games into a season without keeping a clean sheet. But, judging by Canaries manager Paul Lambert's ebullience at the final whistle, it is not a statistic that will be keeping him awake at night.
Lambert has instilled a confidence that has seen his side amass an impressive 28 points this season.
But Albion were on top from the start at The Hawthorns, Peter Odemwingie signalling their intent with a fizzing drive from 25 yards that Ruddy palmed onto the bar.
The home side came close again when James Morrison unleashed a venomous shot on the half-volley that Surman headed off the line.
In a rare foray forward, Norwich hit the post - more through luck than design - when Ben Foster came racing out to hoof away a loose ball, but the clearance ricocheted off Morison and rolled against the base of the post.
The Baggies, perhaps trying too hard to score, poured forward in increasing numbers. It seemed inevitable they would be caught cold on the counter-attack and that moment came two minutes before the break.
DID YOU KNOW?Continue reading the main story
Norwich have scored 13 headed goals in the Premier League this season - more than any other team.
Simeon Jackson latched onto a long ball before rolling it into the path of Wes Hoolahan, who picked out Surman in enough space to lash a classy volley beyond Foster.
Just as in their last Premier League outing at Queens Park Rangers, Norwich soaked up the pressure before hitting Albion on the break and the lively Jackson was a constant threat in attack.
But the home side were lifted when Long came off the bench to provide the Baggies with some much-needed firepower.
Striking over with his first touch before creating a clear chance for Simon Cox, Long finally rewarded West Brom for their dominance in the 68th minute.
Stepping up after Daniel Ayala's wild lunge brought down Thomas, Long nonchalantly stroked in from 12 yards, sending Ruddy the wrong way.
Albion sensed blood and continued to push forward with a series of fraught attacks, pinning Norwich back for extended periods.
But Norwich never panicked, survived the storm, and hit the Baggies with a sucker-punch 11 minutes from the end.
Racing into space down the Norwich left, substitute Grant Holt exposed the home side with a marauding run, before clipping a left-footed cross to Morison, who powered his header past Foster.
Morison reeled away to celebrate in front of the travelling support, who will make the journey to the West Midlands again when the sides are due to meet in the fourth round of the FA Cup on 28 January.
West Bromwich Albion manager Roy Hodgson:
"We've done it against Everton, Wigan and now Norwich. We've paid a high price for our inability to finish games off or defend against the counter attack. We've only got ourselves to blame.
"We have to learn the lessons and live through this difficult period. The mistakes were of our own making.
"There is very little I can say to dispel the gloom I feel. There's nothing positive I can say, just hope any fortune falls our way in the next game."
Norwich City manager Paul Lambert:
"We might not win every game, but we certainly make a go of it.
"West Brom came at us strongly in the first half, but our first goal was a classic counter attack and a terrific finish from Surman. Overall, it was great to come away from home and get a win against a well-organised team.
"Morison still had a lot to do with his winning header. It was a terrific goal from a player who's been brilliant for me."
Live text and stats
Saturday, 14 January 2012
|Home Team||Score||Away Team||Time|
- 01 Foster
- 18 Jara
- 20 Shorey
- 23 McAuley
- 25 Dawson
- 07 Morrison
- 14 Thomas (Fortune 76)
- 21 Mulumbu
- 33 Scharner (Dorrans 63)
- 24 Odemwingie (Long 63)
- 31 Cox
- 01 Ruddy
- 02 R Martin
- 06 Whitbread
- 25 Naughton
- 26 Ayala yellow card
- 04 Johnson (Fox 80)
- 11 Surman
- 12 Pilkington (Crofts 80)
- 14 Hoolahan
- 05 Morison
- 10 Jackson (Holt 68)
- West Brom 54%
- Norwich 46%
Attempts on target
- West Brom 8
- Norwich 4
Attempts off target
- West Brom 8
- Norwich 3
- West Brom 10
- Norwich 5
- West Brom 6
- Norwich 14
- Final Result
- Full Time
- 90:00+4:35 The final whistle is blown by the referee.
- 90:00+4:04 Close range header by Marc-Antoine Fortune goes over the crossbar.
- 90:00+1:26 Shane Long gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Kyle Naughton. John Ruddy takes the direct free kick.
- 88:49 Free kick awarded for a foul by Kyle Naughton on Shane Long. Free kick crossed right-footed by Nicky Shorey.
- 88:31 Andrew Crofts takes a inswinging corner.
- 84:36 Graham Dorrans takes a inswinging corner from the left by-line played to the near post, Russell Martin manages to make a clearance.
- 81:56 Free kick awarded for a foul by Craig Dawson on Steve Morison. Free kick crossed right-footed by David Fox from right channel.
- 81:19 James Morrison produces a left-footed shot from just outside the area that goes harmlessly over the target.
- 79:49 Substitution Andrew Crofts joins the action as a substitute, replacing Anthony Pilkington.
- 79:19 Substitution David Fox joins the action as a substitute, replacing Bradley Johnson.
- 78:45 The assist for the goal came from Grant Holt.
- 78:45 GOAL - Steve Morison:West Brom 1 - 2 Norwich Steve Morison finds the back of the net with a headed goal from close in. West Brom 1-2 Norwich.
- 77:36 Corner taken by Graham Dorrans, Craig Dawson takes a shot. Save by John Ruddy.
- 77:32 Simon Cox crosses the ball, Zak Whitbread makes a clearance.
- 75:55 Substitution Marc-Antoine Fortune joins the action as a substitute, replacing Jerome Thomas.
- 74:54 Grant Holt concedes a free kick for a foul on Nicky Shorey. Nicky Shorey takes the direct free kick.
- 74:38 Unfair challenge on Gareth McAuley by Grant Holt results in a free kick. Free kick taken by Gonzalo Jara Reyes.
- 74:16 Craig Dawson has a headed effort at goal from close in which goes wide left of the target.
- 73:37 Corner taken left-footed by Nicky Shorey from the right by-line to the near post, Russell Martin makes a clearance.
- 72:29 Jerome Thomas gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Russell Martin. Direct free kick taken by Bradley Johnson.
- 71:45 Corner taken by Andrew Surman, Steve Morison has a header from deep inside the six-yard box and clears the crossbar.
- 71:26 Bradley Johnson takes a shot. Blocked by James Morrison.
- 70:49 Graham Dorrans gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Wesley Hoolahan. The free kick is swung in left-footed by Andrew Surman.
- 68:34 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Craig Dawson by Steve Morison. Ben Foster restarts play with the free kick.
- 67:58 Substitution Grant Holt comes on in place of Simeon Jackson.
- 67:46 Assist by Jerome Thomas.
- 67:18 Assist by Jerome Thomas.
- 67:18 GOAL - Shane Long:West Brom 1 - 1 Norwich Placed penalty scored by Shane Long. West Brom 1-1 Norwich.
- 66:32 Booking The referee cautions Daniel Ayala for unsporting behaviour.
- Correction - 66:11 Daniel Ayala gives away a Penalty for an unfair challenge on Jerome Thomas.
- 66:11 Daniel Ayala concedes a Penalty for a foul on Jerome Thomas.
- 65:11 Graham Dorrans takes the inswinging corner, clearance made by Andrew Surman.
- 64:22 Simon Cox takes a shot. Save by John Ruddy.
- 63:43 Jerome Thomas produces a cross, John Ruddy makes a save.
- 63:14 Shane Long takes a shot. Save by John Ruddy.
- 62:08 Substitution Graham Dorrans joins the action as a substitute, replacing Paul Scharner.
- 62:08 Substitution Shane Long joins the action as a substitute, replacing Peter Odemwingie.
- Correction - 58:38 Foul by Russell Martin on Jerome Thomas, free kick awarded. Nicky Shorey restarts play with the free kick.
- 58:38 Unfair challenge on Jerome Thomas by Russell Martin results in a free kick. Nicky Shorey takes the free kick.
- 56:53 Simeon Jackson takes a shot. Save made by Ben Foster.
- 54:08 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Gareth McAuley by Steve Morison. Free kick taken by Craig Dawson.
- 53:38 Shot from just outside the area by James Morrison goes over the bar.
- 52:21 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Simon Cox by Bradley Johnson. Direct free kick taken by Gonzalo Jara Reyes.
- 50:44 Outswinging corner taken from the left by-line by Andrew Surman, Craig Dawson makes a clearance.
- 49:55 Paul Scharner has shot on goal from just outside the box which goes wide of the right-hand upright.
- 48:27 Effort on goal by James Morrison from just outside the penalty area goes harmlessly over the target.
- 47:57 A cross is delivered by Kyle Naughton.
- Correction - 47:10 Unfair challenge on Wesley Hoolahan by Youssouf Mulumbu results in a free kick. Bradley Johnson takes the free kick.
- 47:10 Wesley Hoolahan fouled by Youssouf Mulumbu, the ref awards a free kick. Direct free kick taken by Andrew Surman.
- 46:38 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Craig Dawson by Steve Morison. Free kick taken by Ben Foster.
- 45:01 The referee gets the second half underway.
- Half Time
- 45:00+1:11 The whistle is blown to end the first half.
- 42:42 Assist on the goal came from Wesley Hoolahan.
- 42:42 GOAL - Andrew Surman:West Brom 0 - 1 Norwich Andrew Surman finds the back of the net with a goal from inside the penalty box to the bottom right corner of the goal. West Brom 0-1 Norwich.
- 41:32 Corner taken by James Morrison from the left by-line played to the near post, Zak Whitbread makes a clearance.
- 38:21 James Morrison delivers the ball, clearance by Russell Martin.
- 38:13 The ball is crossed by Jerome Thomas, clearance made by Kyle Naughton.
- 37:40 The ball is swung over by Anthony Pilkington, Steve Morison has a headed effort at goal from deep inside the area missing to the right of the goal.
- 36:24 Corner from left by-line taken by James Morrison.
- 33:35 Corner taken by James Morrison, Paul Scharner produces a right-footed shot from deep inside the penalty area which goes wide of the left-hand post.
- 33:09 Daniel Ayala gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Jerome Thomas. Free kick taken by James Morrison.
- 32:47 Jerome Thomas takes a shot. Blocked by Zak Whitbread.
- 31:35 The referee blows for offside. Zak Whitbread takes the free kick.
- 31:01 Gonzalo Jara Reyes challenges Simeon Jackson unfairly and gives away a free kick. Kyle Naughton takes the free kick.
- 30:04 The ball is sent over by Jerome Thomas, Kyle Naughton manages to make a clearance.
- 29:35 James Morrison takes a shot. Andrew Surman manages to make a clearance.
- 29:09 Corner taken by Nicky Shorey from the right by-line, Steve Morison makes a clearance.
- 28:32 Inswinging corner taken right-footed by James Morrison from the left by-line, clearance made by Bradley Johnson.
- 26:53 Anthony Pilkington takes the outswinging corner, Youssouf Mulumbu manages to make a clearance.
- 26:17 Andrew Surman gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on James Morrison. Gonzalo Jara Reyes takes the direct free kick.
- 25:58 The ball is sent over by Steve Morison, Ben Foster makes a save.
- 20:14 Simon Cox takes a shot. John Ruddy makes a save.
- 19:39 Shot on goal by Simeon Jackson from inside the box goes harmlessly over the target.
- 18:05 A cross is delivered by Simon Cox, clearance made by Anthony Pilkington.
- 14:38 The ball is sent over by Jerome Thomas, John Ruddy makes a save.
- 13:45 Craig Dawson fouled by Steve Morison, the ref awards a free kick. Direct free kick taken by Nicky Shorey.
- 13:14 Effort from the edge of the area by Peter Odemwingie goes wide of the left-hand upright.
- 10:56 The offside flag is raised against Steve Morison. Ben Foster takes the free kick.
- Correction - 7:15 Andrew Surman takes a outswinging corner from the left by-line to the near post, Simon Cox makes a clearance.
- 7:15 Outswinging corner taken left-footed by Andrew Surman from the left by-line to the near post, Nicky Shorey manages to make a clearance.
- 5:21 Corner taken right-footed by James Morrison, save by John Ruddy.
- 4:54 Peter Odemwingie takes a shot. John Ruddy makes a save.
- 3:16 Daniel Ayala concedes a free kick for a foul on Jerome Thomas. James Morrison has an effort direct from the free kick.
- 2:23 Foul by Steve Morison on Gareth McAuley, free kick awarded. Direct free kick taken by Ben Foster.
- 0:00 The match gets underway.
Live text and data provided by The Press Association.
Premier League results
Premier League table snapshot