Everton 1 - 2 Bolton
Page last updated at 00:02 GMT, Thursday, 5 January 2012
David Ngog and Gary Cahill struck to help Bolton recover from an amazing goal by Everton goalkeeper Tim Howard to move off the bottom of the table.
Howard scored from inside his area when the ball bounced 30 yards from Bolton's goal and, with the help of the wind, flew over visiting keeper Adam Bogdan.
Ngog's shot drew Bolton level and Cahill, possibly playing his final game for the club, drove home the winner.
Everton's Leighton Baines hit the bar with a free-kick in injury time.
It was a brave performance by Bolton, whose fightback reflected Owen Coyle's passing principles as they responded well to the disappointment of Howard's goal.
Bogdan had been brought in to replace the injured Jussi Jaaskelainen, but he could not be blamed for the freak nature of Howard's effort. After equalising, the visitors - to their credit - chased victory rather than settling for a point.
Bolton's morale was also helped by under-pressure striker Ngog scoring his first goal for nearly three months, while they secured back-to-back Premier League victories - following their win at Blackburn - for the first time since September 2009.
Ngog's goal was a team effort that summed up the team's togetherness and backed up Coyle's public pronouncements about their capacity to avoid relegation.
GOALSCORING GOALKEEPERSContinue reading the main story
- Charlie Williams (Man City) v Sunderland, 1900
- Pat Jennings (Tottenham) v Man Utd, 1967
- Peter Shilton (Leicester) v Southampton, 1967
- Peter Schmeichel (Man Utd) v Rotor Volgograd, 1995 (above)
- Jimmy Glass (Carlisle) v Plymouth, 1999
- Peter Schmeichel (Aston Villa) v Everton, 2001
- Brad Friedel (Blackburn) v Charlton, 2004
- Paul Robinson (Tottenham) v Watford, 2007
The Toffees made a strong start and Denis Stracqualursi should have done better from Baines's dangerous free-kick, but the ball struck him on the back.
Everton created chances from both flanks, with Donovan supplying Stacqualursi, who fired wide, and then Baines crossed for Louis Saha, who also struck off target.
Bolton had a sniff of goal - wind-assisted - when Chris Eagles floated in a cross that Phil Jagielka headed towards his own goal and Howard tipped over.
The home team threatened again when Bogdan pushed out a Phil Jagielka header, then more good work from Donovan allowed Leon Osman to send an angled shot just wide of the far post from 15 yards.
Everton had a penalty shout turned down when Donovan and Sam Ricketts tussled, but referee Phil Dowd looked to have made the right decision when turning down the appeals.
Bolton's best opportunity of the half arrived just before the break when Nigel Reo-Coker played a ball down the middle for Ngog, whose strike was pushed over by Howard.
Both teams had chances early in the second period.
First Jack Rodwell shot wide from a tight angle, then Mark Davies had a 10-yard shot stopped by Howard's left leg after he had made an impressive run past Sylvain Distin and John Heitinga.
Bolton were looking much better and came close again when Ngog received Ricketts' pass and curled in a 16-yard shot which Howard saved at full stretch.
They were then stunned by Howard's goal, but soon got deservedly back on level terms when Mark Davies's back heel found Reo-Coker and his deflected pass set up Ngog.
That lifted Bolton, and former Liverpool striker Ngog appealed optimistically for a spot-kick soon afterwards when his shot on the edge of the area struck Baines.
Then came the twist in the tail as Eagles evaded Baines and slipped the ball forward for captain Cahill, who arrowed in a first-time shot that ensured victory - despite the late scare from Baines.
Everton manager David Moyes: "We didn't deserve to win, Bolton did. We didn't deal with the conditions particularly well. They adapted better than we did.
"It was a freak goal and we hadn't really deserved to be ahead. When we were 1-0 up, I hoped we might have enough to keep the lead but we didn't have."
Bolton manager Owen Coyle: "It was a big win but a merited win. We knew that we had to be at our best and we were.
"With the wind and conditions, Tim Howard scored with a freakish goal. Adam Bogdan was magnificent and was in a good position. The lad certainly wasn't at fault. But we then showed character and resilience.
"I don't know if this will be Gary Cahill's farewell. The clubs have agreed a fee. Gary's representatives and Chelsea have only had one meeting about personal terms."
Live text and stats
Wednesday, 4 January 2012
|Home Team||Score||Away Team||Time|
- 24 Howard
- 02 Hibbert
- 03 Baines
- 05 Heitinga
- 06 Jagielka (Rodwell 42) (Cahill 61)
- 15 Distin yellow card
- 18 Neville
- 21 Osman (Gueye 53)
- 08 Saha
- 09 Donovan
- 11 Stracqualursi
- 01 Bogdan
- 02 Steinsson
- 05 Cahill yellow card
- 12 Knight
- 18 Ricketts
- 06 Muamba
- 07 Eagles (Pratley 81)
- 10 Petrov
- 16 M Davies
- 19 Reo-Coker yellow card
- 24 Ngog yellow card (K Davies 87)
- Everton 43%
- Bolton 57%
Attempts on target
- Everton 4
- Bolton 7
Attempts off target
- Everton 6
- Bolton 5
- Everton 5
- Bolton 10
- Everton 7
- Bolton 11
- 90:00+3:00 Inswinging corner taken by Leighton Baines, Gary Cahill makes a clearance.
- 90:00+1:46 Strike comes in from Leighton Baines from the free kick,
- 90:00+1:46 Booking Gary Cahill receives a yellow card for unsporting behaviour.
- 90:00+1:30 Magaye Gueye fouled by Gary Cahill, the ref awards a free kick.
- 89:06 Denis Stracqualursi is adjudged to have handled the ball. Free kick taken by Nigel Reo-Coker.
- 88:22 Kevin Davies fouled by Johnny Heitinga, the ref awards a free kick. Direct free kick taken by Nigel Reo-Coker.
- 88:09 The referee blows for offside against Darren Pratley. Direct free kick taken by Johnny Heitinga.
- 86:23 Martin Petrov decides to take the corner short.
- 86:23 Substitution (Bolton) makes a substitution, with Kevin Davies coming on for David Ngog.
- 84:11 David Ngog concedes a free kick for a foul on Johnny Heitinga. Direct free kick taken by Johnny Heitinga.
- 82:52 Outswinging corner taken from the left by-line by Martin Petrov, Louis Saha manages to make a clearance.
- 82:13 Phil Neville concedes a free kick for a foul on David Ngog. Free kick crossed by Martin Petrov, clearance by Sylvain Distin.
- 81:14 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Denis Stracqualursi by Zat Knight. Johnny Heitinga restarts play with the free kick.
- Correction - 80:12 Substitution Darren Pratley on for Chris Eagles.
- 80:12 Substitution Darren Pratley joins the action as a substitute, replacing Chris Eagles.
- 78:23 Zat Knight gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Denis Stracqualursi. The ball is swung over by Leighton Baines, Louis Saha produces a header from inside the area that goes over the bar.
- 77:30 The assist for the goal came from Chris Eagles.
- 77:30 GOAL - Gary Cahill:Everton 1 - 2 Bolton Gary Cahill grabs a goal from just inside the penalty area to the bottom left corner of the goal. Everton 1-2 Bolton.
- 76:26 Martin Petrov restarts play with the free kick.
- 76:26 Booking Sylvain Distin goes into the book.
- 76:24 Sylvain Distin gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on David Ngog.
- 74:18 The offside flag is raised against Leighton Baines. Free kick taken by Adam Bogdan.
- 71:17 The ball is crossed by Chris Eagles, blocked by Sylvain Distin.
- 68:20 Magaye Gueye sends in a cross.
- 66:34 GOAL - David Ngog:Everton 1 - 1 Bolton Goal scored by David Ngog from deep inside the penalty box to the bottom left corner of the goal. Everton 1-1 Bolton.
- 66:08 Tony Hibbert sends in a cross, comfortable save by Adam Bogdan.
- 65:16 Fabrice Muamba gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Landon Donovan. Johnny Heitinga takes the direct free kick.
- 62:15 Magaye Gueye fouled by Gretar Rafn Steinsson, the ref awards a free kick. Free kick taken by Leighton Baines.
- 62:15 GOAL - Tim Howard:Everton 1 - 0 Bolton A goal is scored by Tim Howard from 35+ yards high into the middle of the goal. Everton 1-0 Bolton.
- 62:15 Assist on the goal came from Sylvain Distin.
- 62:01 Corner from right by-line taken by Leighton Baines.
- 61:43 Phil Neville crosses the ball, blocked by Mark Davies.
- 60:18 Substitution Tim Cahill replaces Jack Rodwell.
- 59:01 Corner taken by Chris Eagles.
- 58:44 David Ngog takes a shot. Tim Howard makes a save.
- 58:04 The referee blows for offside against Denis Stracqualursi. Indirect free kick taken by Zat Knight.
- 57:44 Magaye Gueye crosses the ball, Adam Bogdan makes a comfortable save.
- 56:03 The referee blows for offside against Denis Stracqualursi. Adam Bogdan takes the free kick.
- 53:18 Corner from right by-line taken by Chris Eagles.
- 52:22 Substitution Leon Osman goes off and Magaye Gueye comes on.
- 49:16 Mark Davies takes a shot. Tim Howard makes a save.
- 48:51 Martin Petrov produces a cross.
- 47:01 Corner taken left-footed by Leighton Baines, Jack Rodwell produces a right-footed shot from deep inside the penalty box which goes wide of the left-hand upright.
- 46:53 Inswinging corner taken left-footed by Chris Eagles from the left by-line.
- 45:01 The match restarts for the second half.
- Half Time
- 45:00+2:05 The ref blows to end the first period.
- 45:00+1:08 Effort from outside the penalty box by Martin Petrov goes wide left of the goal.
- 45:00+0:50 Corner taken by Martin Petrov from the right by-line to the near post, clearance made by Louis Saha.
- 45:00+0:20 Inswinging corner taken from the left by-line by Chris Eagles, Zat Knight takes a shot. Blocked by Sylvain Distin.
- 45:00+0:04 David Ngog takes a shot. Save made by Tim Howard.
- 43:12 Leighton Baines takes a inswinging corner to the near post, Zat Knight makes a clearance.
- 41:26 Chris Eagles takes a shot. Blocked by Tony Hibbert.
- 41:26 Substitution Jack Rodwell is brought on as a substitute for Phil Jagielka.
- 36:11 David Ngog takes a shot. Phil Jagielka gets a block in.
- 34:49 Corner taken right-footed by Chris Eagles to the near post, Tony Hibbert manages to make a clearance.
- 33:45 Leon Osman produces a right-footed shot from the edge of the box and misses to the left of the target.
- 33:18 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Leon Osman by Fabrice Muamba. Sylvain Distin takes the direct free kick.
- 31:39 Corner taken by Leon Osman, Phil Jagielka takes a shot. Save by Adam Bogdan.
- 29:48 Leon Osman takes a shot. Save made by Adam Bogdan.
- 24:34 Unfair challenge on Samuel Ricketts by Landon Donovan results in a free kick. Adam Bogdan takes the direct free kick.
- 22:16 Foul by Denis Stracqualursi on Zat Knight, free kick awarded. Adam Bogdan restarts play with the free kick.
- 20:09 The free kick is swung in left-footed by Leighton Baines.
- 20:09 Booking Nigel Reo-Coker goes into the book for unsporting behaviour.
- 19:43 Leon Osman fouled by Nigel Reo-Coker, the ref awards a free kick.
- 18:00 Inswinging corner taken by Martin Petrov from the right by-line.
- 17:28 Corner from right by-line taken by Chris Eagles.
- 14:48 Gretar Rafn Steinsson produces a cross.
- 13:58 Louis Saha produces a left-footed shot from deep inside the penalty area which goes wide of the left-hand post.
- 13:27 Effort from inside the area by Denis Stracqualursi misses to the right of the target.
- 11:39 Free kick taken by Sylvain Distin.
- 11:39 Booking David Ngog booked.
- 11:29 Foul by David Ngog on Sylvain Distin, free kick awarded.
- 10:09 Unfair challenge on Zat Knight by Denis Stracqualursi results in a free kick. Adam Bogdan takes the free kick.
- 9:31 Landon Donovan takes a shot. Comfortable save by Adam Bogdan.
- 8:35 Shot from outside the area by Gretar Rafn Steinsson misses to the left of the target.
- 5:47 Effort from a long way out by David Ngog goes wide right of the goal.
- 5:10 Chris Eagles takes a shot. Save by Tim Howard.
- 4:25 Free kick awarded for a foul by Denis Stracqualursi on Gretar Rafn Steinsson. Adam Bogdan takes the free kick.
- 2:03 Free kick awarded for a foul by Samuel Ricketts on Denis Stracqualursi. Phil Jagielka restarts play with the free kick.
- 0:31 Samuel Ricketts challenges Landon Donovan unfairly and gives away a free kick. The free kick is delivered left-footed by Leighton Baines from right wing.
- 0:00 The referee starts the match.
Live text and data provided by The Press Association.
Premier League table snapshot