QPR 1 - 2 Norwich
Page last updated at 16:52 GMT, Monday, 2 January 2012
Joey Barton scored and was then sent off as QPR were beaten by Norwich.
Barton gave QPR an 11th-minute lead with a drilled effort but was then red-carded after an off-the-ball incident involving Bradley Johnson.
Norwich quickly capitalised on their numerical superiority with Anthony Pilkington's fine shot making it 1-1.
QPR held their own in the second half with John Ruddy brilliantly saving Adel Taarabt's free-kick, but late on Steve Morison swept in Norwich's winner.
Last week Rangers captain Barton became a father for the first time after the birth of his son - Cassius Joseph - and the new parent scored only his second goal for QPR to give Rangers an early lead.
Barton fired a low shot past Ruddy after some neat combination play between Alejandro Faurlin and Clint Hill down the left.
The goal helped relax QPR, who had made a tenative start as they searched for their first win in eight games, and Neil Warnock's side controlled the game before Barton's red card.
With QPR sweeping forward after clearing a Norwich corner, Barton was in the centre cirle when he tangled with Zak Whitbread and then Johnson, with referee Neil Swarbrick touching his forehead to indicate the Rangers midfielder had used his head in the clash with the Norwich player.
WORRYING TIMES FOR QPRContinue reading the main story
- Rangers have picked up just two points in eight games
The former Newcastle midfielder, who has reinvented himself through Twitter over the last year, protested his innocence as he departed down the tunnel, but his team-mates were soon to feel his absence.
With two minutes left in the first half, Pilkington's precise left-footed shot nestled in the corner with Paddy Kenny well beaten.
QPR manager Neil Warnock withdrew James Mackie and replaced him with Shaun Wright-Phillips at the start of the second half - an astute substitution as the former Manchester City winger's ability to run with the ball brought some respite to the home side.
Wright-Phillips quickly tested Ruddy with a low shot and then, in tandem with Taarabt, almost released Heidar Helguson.
QPR came mightily close to regaining the lead through a dipping Taarabt free-kick that was pushed on to the post by Ruddy.
Both Taarabt and Faurlin also played key roles for QPR in keeping hold of the ball and keeping Norwich at bay.
Midway through the second half, Norwich manager Paul Lambert introduced all three of his substitutes - David Fox, Wesley Hoolahan and Morison - in a bid to wrest control of the game from Rangers.
With 10 minutes remaining, Federico Macheda came on to make his QPR debut following his loan move from Manchester United and almost immediately scored only to be beaten to a Wright-Phillips cross by Ruddy, who punched clear.
Norwich had done little to trouble Kenny in the second half, but with seven minutes remaining substitute Morison swept the ball home after QPR failed to properly clear a cross from the left.
Live text and stats
Monday, 2 January 2012
|Home Team||Score||Away Team||Time|
- 01 Kenny
- 03 Hill
- 06 Gabbidon
- 18 Young
- 35 Ferdinand
- 04 Derry
- 07 Taarabt (Campbell 85)
- 11 Faurlin
- 17 Barton red card
- 12 Mackie (Wright-Phillips 46 yellow card)
- 22 Helguson yellow card (Macheda 80)
- 01 Ruddy
- 02 R Martin
- 03 Drury (Fox 66)
- 06 Whitbread
- 26 Ayala yellow card
- 04 Johnson
- 12 Pilkington
- 17 Bennett
- 19 Lappin (Hoolahan 66)
- 09 Holt (Morison 66)
- 10 Jackson
- QPR 49%
- Norwich 51%
Attempts on target
- QPR 6
- Norwich 6
Attempts off target
- QPR 3
- Norwich 7
- QPR 2
- Norwich 5
- QPR 12
- Norwich 12
- Final Result
- Full Time
- 90:00+3:22 The game is over, as the referee blows his whistle.
- 90:00+2:34 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Shaun Wright-Phillips by David Fox. Shaun Derry takes the free kick.
- 89:34 Free kick awarded for a foul by Federico Macheda on David Fox. Russell Martin restarts play with the free kick.
- 88:10 The offside flag is raised against DJ Campbell. John Ruddy takes the free kick.
- 87:38 Alejandro Faurlin takes a shot. Daniel Ayala gets a block in.
- 87:21 Foul by Bradley Johnson on Shaun Wright-Phillips, free kick awarded. Free kick taken by Anton Ferdinand.
- 84:32 Substitution Adel Taarabt leaves the field to be replaced by DJ Campbell.
- 83:37 Corner taken by Adel Taarabt.
- 82:02 The assist for the goal came from Elliott Bennett.
- 82:02 GOAL - Steve Morison:QPR 1 - 2 Norwich Steve Morison scores a goal from close in low into the middle of the goal. QPR 1-2 Norwich.
- 79:46 Substitution Heidar Helguson leaves the field to be replaced by Federico Macheda.
- 76:37 Outswinging corner taken by David Fox, Bradley Johnson takes a shot. Comfortable save by Patrick Kenny.
- 74:26 Steve Morison has a headed effort at goal from close range which goes wide of the left-hand upright.
- 73:22 Handball by Wesley Hoolahan. Patrick Kenny takes the indirect free kick.
- 71:37 Zak Whitbread challenges Heidar Helguson unfairly and gives away a free kick. Direct free kick taken by Luke Young.
- 70:09 Clint Hill concedes a free kick for a foul on Elliott Bennett. Russell Martin takes the direct free kick.
- 68:10 Unfair challenge on Daniel Gabbidon by Simeon Jackson results in a free kick. Patrick Kenny restarts play with the free kick.
- 67:14 Effort from outside the penalty box by Alejandro Faurlin goes wide left of the target.
- 66:36 Anthony Pilkington delivers a pass corner to short, save by Patrick Kenny.
- 64:46 Booking Shaun Wright-Phillips is booked.
- 64:23 Free kick taken by John Ruddy.
- 64:23 Substitution Wesley Hoolahan is brought on as a substitute for Simon Lappin.
- 64:23 Substitution Steve Morison replaces Grant Holt.
- 64:23 Substitution (Norwich) makes a substitution, with David Fox coming on for Adam Drury.
- 64:23 Corner taken right-footed by Adel Taarabt, Unfair challenge on Elliott Bennett by Shaun Wright-Phillips results in a free kick.
- 63:58 Alejandro Faurlin takes a shot. Zak Whitbread manages to make a clearance.
- 60:37 Unfair challenge on Heidar Helguson by Adam Drury results in a free kick. Direct free kick taken by Adel Taarabt.
- 56:45 Daniel Gabbidon fouled by Grant Holt, the ref awards a free kick. Direct free kick taken by Patrick Kenny.
- 56:18 Elliott Bennett takes a shot. Patrick Kenny makes a save.
- 54:05 Effort on goal by Shaun Wright-Phillips from deep inside the penalty area misses to the right of the goal.
- 52:53 Adel Taarabt has an effort direct from the free kick, save by John Ruddy.
- 52:53 Booking Daniel Ayala booked.
- 52:45 Unfair challenge on Adel Taarabt by Daniel Ayala results in a free kick.
- 51:39 Adel Taarabt produces a right-footed shot from deep inside the penalty box which goes wide of the left-hand post.
- 49:51 Bradley Johnson produces a left-footed shot from just outside the area that goes harmlessly over the bar.
- 49:27 Corner taken short by Simeon Jackson.
- 45:48 Shaun Wright-Phillips takes a shot. John Ruddy makes a save.
- 45:01 The second half kicks off.
- 45:01 Substitution Shaun Wright-Phillips on for Jamie Mackie.
- Half Time
- 45:00+2:56 The first half comes to an end.
- 45:00+2:18 Grant Holt fouled by Shaun Derry, the ref awards a free kick. Free kick taken by Adam Drury.
- 45:00+1:34 Effort on goal by Daniel Ayala from long range goes harmlessly over the target.
- 45:00+0:43 Zak Whitbread restarts play with the free kick.
- 45:00+0:43 Booking Heidar Helguson is shown a yellow card.
- 45:00+0:37 Heidar Helguson challenges Adam Drury unfairly and gives away a free kick.
- 43:33 Grant Holt concedes a free kick for a foul on Adel Taarabt. Free kick taken by Patrick Kenny.
- 41:30 Bradley Johnson provided the assist for the goal.
- 41:30 GOAL - Anthony Pilkington:QPR 1 - 1 Norwich Anthony Pilkington finds the net with a goal from outside the area to the bottom right corner of the goal. QPR 1-1 Norwich.
- 41:04 Unfair challenge on Bradley Johnson by Heidar Helguson results in a free kick. Direct free kick taken by Russell Martin.
- 39:22 Bradley Johnson produces a left-footed shot from long range which goes wide right of the goal.
- 36:22 Free kick awarded for a foul by Shaun Derry on Anthony Pilkington. Free kick taken by Zak Whitbread.
- 35:09 Sent off Joey Barton sent from the field by the ref for violent conduct.
- 33:28 Inswinging corner taken right-footed by Anthony Pilkington from the left by-line to the near post, Shaun Derry makes a clearance.
- 33:12 Simeon Jackson takes a shot. Blocked by Daniel Gabbidon.
- 32:10 Bradley Johnson challenges Heidar Helguson unfairly and gives away a free kick. Joey Barton restarts play with the free kick.
- 31:30 Shot by Simeon Jackson from deep inside the penalty area misses to the right of the goal.
- 25:01 Free kick awarded for a foul by Anthony Pilkington on Alejandro Faurlin. Patrick Kenny restarts play with the free kick.
- Correction - 24:18 Shot from long range by Grant Holt misses to the right of the target.
- 24:18 Grant Holt takes a header from long distance which goes wide of the right-hand post.
- 22:41 Luke Young challenges Simeon Jackson unfairly and gives away a free kick. The ball is crossed by Simon Lappin, Close range headed effort by Bradley Johnson goes wide of the left-hand upright.
- 20:37 Daniel Gabbidon concedes a free kick for a foul on Simeon Jackson. Zak Whitbread restarts play with the free kick.
- 17:05 Bradley Johnson takes a shot. Save made by Patrick Kenny.
- 16:19 Elliott Bennett fouled by Joey Barton, the ref awards a free kick. Adam Drury takes the direct free kick.
- 15:15 Grant Holt challenges Daniel Gabbidon unfairly and gives away a free kick. Patrick Kenny restarts play with the free kick.
- 14:11 Shaun Derry takes a shot. Simon Lappin gets a block in.
- 10:16 Clint Hill provided the assist for the goal.
- 10:16 GOAL - Joey Barton:QPR 1 - 0 Norwich Joey Barton fires in a goal from inside the area to the bottom left corner of the goal. QPR 1-0 Norwich.
- 8:11 Anton Ferdinand concedes a free kick for a foul on Simeon Jackson. Zak Whitbread takes the direct free kick.
- 7:24 Simeon Jackson challenges Daniel Gabbidon unfairly and gives away a free kick. Patrick Kenny takes the direct free kick.
- 1:27 Corner from the left by-line taken by Anthony Pilkington, Clint Hill manages to make a clearance.
- 0:49 Free kick awarded for a foul by Adel Taarabt on Simon Lappin. The free kick is swung in left-footed by Simon Lappin, clearance by Anton Ferdinand.
- 0:00 The match gets underway.
Live text and data provided by The Press Association.
Premier League results
Premier League table snapshot
02 January 12Football
02 January 12Football
02 January 12Football
02 January 12Football
02 January 12Football
02 January 12Football