Scotland Wales Northern Ireland

You are in: You are in: Football: Eng Prem  
Front Page 
FA Cup 
Eng Prem 
World Cup 2002 
Champions League 
Uefa Cup 
Worthington Cup 
Eng Div 1 
Eng Div 2 
Eng Div 3 
Eng Conf 
Scot Prem 
Scottish Cup 
CIS Ins Cup 
Scot Div 1 
Scot Div 2 
Scot Div 3 
League of Wales 
Rugby Union 
Rugby League 
Other Sports 
Sports Talk 
In Depth 
Photo Galleries 
TV & Radio 
BBC Pundits 
Question of Sport 
Funny Old Game 

Around The Uk

BBC News

BBC Weather

Saturday, 27 October, 2001, 15:53 GMT 16:53 UK
Liverpool punish Charlton
Michael Owen
Owen (right) returned after a hamstring injury

E-mail your reaction to Football Talk

Charlton 0-2 Liverpool

Michael Owen marked his return from injury with a clinically-taken goal in Liverpool's victory against a battling Charlton.

Liverpool captain Jamie Redknapp opened the scoring for the visitors with his first Premiership goal since coming back from a long-term knee injury.

And Owen heaped further misery on Charlton's shoulders with a goal just before half-time.

  Key moments
14 mins: Redknapp scores for Liverpool
41: Owen scores on his return from injury
62: Euell's near post shot goes wide
66: Robinson hits the bar for Charlton
88: Wright is sent-off for two bookable offences

Charlton tried valiantly to get back into the game.

But they failed to take their chances and suffered a second defeat in four days.

Liverpool were dealt a blow when Stephen Wright was sent off for two bookable offences after 88 minutes - but it was too late for Charlton to capitalise.

We were caviar in the first half, cabbage in the second
Liverpool assistant manager Phil Thompson
The home side were playing in front of the biggest crowd at The Valley in 25 years, but went behind in the 14th minute.

They failed to clear a long Wright throw-in and the in-rushing Redknapp, making his 250th league appearance, powered a shot past keeper Dean Kiely at the near post.

Steven Gerrard then went close before Charlton striker Jason Euell gave an indication of the home team's fortunes in front of goal.

He headed wide from two corners in the space of six minutes when unmarked in the Liverpool box.

Liverpool midfielder Danny Murphy was then caught in possession by Euell whose shot was blocked.

Jamie Redknapp
Redknapp scored the opener

From the resulting corner visiting keeper Jerzy Dudek's punched clearance fell to Claus Jensen who could only shoot wide.

Jonatan Johansson became the next Charlton player to spurn a goalscoring opportunity when he collected Mark Kinsella's steered header only to shoot wide from six yards.

England striker Owen showed his rival striker how to finish in front of goal almost immediately, when he raced onto Dietmar Hamman's pass and clipped the ball over the advancing Kiely.

The timing of the goals knocked the stuffing out of us, particularly the first from a simple set-piece, and it seemed to stun the place into silence
Charlton manager Alan Curbishley
Charlton continued to create openings as they caused Liverpool constant problems.

Euell shot wide when running in to meet a cross at the near post and John Robinson saw his 66th minute shot hit the bar.

Wright was then sent off but Charlton were left to rue their missed opportunities.


Charlton: Kiely, Young, Fish, Brown, Powell, Robinson, Jensen, Kinsella, Konchesky, Johansson, Euell.

Subs: Roberts, Parker, Peacock, Fortune, Bartlett.

Liverpool: Dudek, Wright, Henchoz, Carragher, Riise, Gerrard, Redknapp, Hamann, Murphy, Owen, Litmanen.

Subs: Kirkland, Smicer, Heskey, Fowler, Berger.

Referee: P Jones (Loughborough)

BBC Sport's Simon Brotherton
"Owen can be pleased with his hour's work"
Liverpool striker Michael Owen
"Our defence deserves a lot of credit today"
Links to more Eng Prem stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Eng Prem stories

^^ Back to top