Fulham 0 - 5 Man Utd
Page last updated at 22:17 GMT, Wednesday, 21 December 2011
Manchester United shrugged off injuries to Phil Jones and Ashley Young to thrash a lifeless Fulham side.
Danny Welbeck's close-range finish was added to by a header from Nani and a deflected Ryan Giggs effort in a first half United completely dominated.
Wayne Rooney smashed in from 30 yards before Dimitar Berbatov's audacious backheeled finish late on.
The win sees United stay in second place in the Premier League, two points behind leaders Manchester City.
Jones required extensive treatment after catching a stray Clint Dempsey elbow to the face in the opening minutes.
Did you know?Continue reading the main story
- Dimitar Berbatov became the 50th player to score 50 goals for Manchester United
Referee Mark Halsey did not give a foul for the challenge but Dempsey was lucky to escape a card after striking Jones with his left elbow.
After a lengthy stoppage Jones continued as United took an early lead.
Nani collected the ball on the halfway line, drifted past Bryan Ruiz, and carried the ball unchallenged 50 yards down the left before picking out Welbeck for a crisp finish from seven yards.
Jones was called into action to deny Ruiz with a fine tackle before succumbing to his injury.
Young came on for United, with Antonio Valencia switching to right-back, before more slack defending from the home side allowed Nani to head the second.
Fulham switched off as Giggs took a quick corner to Valencia. He played it back to Giggs, whose cross was headed in by Nani with the lurking Rooney unable to add a touch.
United killed the game off just before half-time through veteran Giggs.
Again the visitors were afforded far too much time and space as Nani ambled into penalty area before teeing up the 38-year-old Welshman. Giggs's shot took a huge deflection off Philippe Senderos and looped over the head of goalkeeper David Stockdale.
Substitute Young was then forced off after the break with what looked like a knee injury after a challenge from Dickson Etuhu, as Fulham made some belated improvement.
Dempsey saw a header saved by Anders Lindegaard, Moussa Dembele shot wide and John Arne Riise smashed a free-kick past the post.
Andrew Johnson then twice should have done better for Fulham before United hit two late goals.
Rooney - making his 300th Premier League appearance - advanced from midfield and drilled a fine shot in off the far post, before substitute Berbatov provided a touch of class in stoppage time with his 50th goal for the club.
Valencia exchanged passes with Nani before breaking into the penalty area and squaring for Berbatov.
The ball was behind the Bulgarian but he was able to backheel the ball past Stockdale into the corner.
Fulham manager Martin Jol: "I am angry and disappointed. They had eight attempts on goal and scored five goals. They played around us on the flanks and we did not defend well. Nani scored a header which tells you all.
"We let ourselves down. We improved and could have scored a few but it is easy when you are 3-0 down.
"They have a lot of quality but we were not aggressive enough. Conceding early is not good for your confidence. It was too easy for them.
"We have to pick ourselves up because there are a lot of teams on the same amount of points."
Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson: "The performance in the first half was as good as we have played all season in fairness. You think the third goal would kill Fulham but they came out very aggressive in the second half.
"They changed the pattern of the game but on the counter we always looked a threat."
Live text and stats
Wednesday, 21 December 2011
|Home Team||Score||Away Team||Time|
- 12 Stockdale
- 03 JA Riise
- 05 Hangeland
- 06 Baird yellow card (Kelly 74)
- 14 Senderos
- 13 Murphy
- 20 Etuhu
- 23 Dempsey (Zamora 85)
- 08 Johnson
- 11 Ruiz
- 30 Dembele
- 34 Lindegaard
- 03 Evra
- 04 Jones (Young 20) (Park Ji-Sung 58)
- 06 Evans
- 12 Smalling
- 11 Giggs
- 16 Carrick
- 17 Nani
- 25 Valencia
- 10 Rooney
- 19 Welbeck (Berbatov 76)
- Fulham 35%
- Man Utd 65%
Attempts on target
- Fulham 8
- Man Utd 12
Attempts off target
- Fulham 5
- Man Utd 2
- Fulham 3
- Man Utd 10
- Fulham 7
- Man Utd 8
- Full Time
- 90:00+2:06 The match has reached full-time.
- 90:00+1:44 A cross is delivered by Ryan Giggs, clearance by Bryan Ruiz.
- 89:47 Antonio Valencia provided the assist for the goal.
- 89:47 GOAL - Dimitar Berbatov:Fulham 0 - 5 Man Utd Goal scored by Dimitar Berbatov from close in to the bottom left corner of the goal. Fulham 0-5 Man Utd.
- 89:44 Antonio Valencia sends in a cross,
- 89:00 Effort from inside the area by Andrew Johnson misses to the left of the goal.
- 88:07 Andrew Johnson takes a shot. Anders Lindegaard makes a save.
- 87:11 Assist on the goal came from Ryan Giggs.
- 87:11 GOAL - Wayne Rooney:Fulham 0 - 4 Man Utd Wayne Rooney finds the back of the net with a goal from a long way out to the bottom right corner of the goal. Fulham 0-4 Man Utd.
- 86:05 Centre by Stephen Kelly, Jonathan Evans makes a clearance.
- 84:19 Free kick taken by Anders Lindegaard.
- 84:19 Substitution Bobby Zamora joins the action as a substitute, replacing Clint Dempsey.
- 84:19 Unfair challenge on Ji-Sung Park by Danny Murphy results in a free kick.
- 83:15 Bryan Ruiz crosses the ball, Jonathan Evans manages to make a clearance.
- 82:34 Shot from 12 yards from Andrew Johnson. Save made by Anders Lindegaard.
- 80:26 Moussa Dembele challenges Antonio Valencia unfairly and gives away a free kick. Direct free kick taken by Antonio Valencia.
- 78:55 Centre by Ryan Giggs, Danny Murphy makes a clearance.
- 78:05 Shot on goal by Andrew Johnson from inside the box goes harmlessly over the target.
- 77:35 The official flags Luis Nani offside. Brede Hangeland takes the free kick.
- 76:33 Long distance shot from John Arne Riise misses to the left of the goal.
- 75:49 Substitution Danny Welbeck goes off and Dimitar Berbatov comes on.
- 73:49 Substitution Stephen Kelly joins the action as a substitute, replacing Chris Baird.
- 73:16 Effort on goal by Danny Welbeck from just inside the area clears the bar.
- 72:49 Clint Dempsey takes a shot. Blocked by Ryan Giggs.
- 72:24 Clint Dempsey takes a shot. Save by Anders Lindegaard.
- 69:04 Danny Welbeck takes a shot. Blocked by Philippe Senderos. Inswinging corner taken by Ryan Giggs from the right by-line, John Arne Riise manages to make a clearance.
- 67:25 Wayne Rooney takes a shot. Brede Hangeland gets a block in. Short corner taken by Ryan Giggs. The ball is sent over by Ji-Sung Park, Philippe Senderos makes a clearance.
- 66:18 Clint Dempsey takes a shot. Jonathan Evans gets a block in.
- 65:11 Luis Nani produces a cross, save made by David Stockdale.
- 64:08 Danny Welbeck is ruled offside. David Stockdale takes the free kick.
- 63:09 Foul by Danny Murphy on Ryan Giggs, free kick awarded. Ryan Giggs takes the free kick.
- 62:21 Free kick taken by Jonathan Evans.
- 62:21 Booking The referee shows Chris Baird a yellow card.
- 62:14 Chris Baird gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Danny Welbeck.
- 61:11 Chris Smalling concedes a free kick for a foul on Clint Dempsey. Philippe Senderos takes the direct free kick.
- 60:49 The ball is crossed by Luis Nani.
- 60:28 Danny Murphy gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Antonio Valencia. Free kick taken by Jonathan Evans.
- 59:25 Clint Dempsey takes a shot. Anders Lindegaard makes a save.
- 57:55 Substitution Ashley Young leaves the field to be replaced by Ji-Sung Park.
- 57:41 John Arne Riise produces a left-footed shot from just outside the penalty box that misses to the left of the target.
- 56:45 Free kick awarded for a foul by Ryan Giggs on Moussa Dembele. Danny Murphy restarts play with the free kick.
- 55:48 Moussa Dembele has a shot on goal from outside the area which misses right.
- 54:32 Antonio Valencia gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Andrew Johnson. The free kick is delivered right-footed by Danny Murphy from left wing, Jonathan Evans manages to make a clearance. Inswinging corner taken by Bryan Ruiz from the right by-line, Clint Dempsey takes a shot. Anders Lindegaard makes a save.
- 52:36 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Ashley Young by Dickson Etuhu. Jonathan Evans restarts play with the free kick.
- 50:20 The ball is swung over by Ashley Young, blocked by John Arne Riise. Inswinging corner taken from the right by-line by Ryan Giggs.
- 49:36 Corner taken by Danny Murphy, Jonathan Evans manages to make a clearance.
- 46:14 The ball is sent over by Andrew Johnson, clearance by Jonathan Evans.
- 45:01 The second half has started.
- Half Time
- 45:00+3:12 The first half comes to an end.
- 45:00+2:55 Short corner worked by Wayne Rooney.
- 45:00+2:06 Corner taken right-footed by Ashley Young.
- 45:00+1:42 Andrew Johnson takes a shot. Anders Lindegaard makes a save.
- 45:00+1:11 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Moussa Dembele by Jonathan Evans. Direct free kick taken by Danny Murphy.
- 42:28 Assist on the goal came from Luis Nani.
- 42:28 GOAL - Ryan Giggs:Fulham 0 - 3 Man Utd A goal is scored by Ryan Giggs from deep inside the penalty area high into the middle of the goal. Fulham 0-3 Man Utd.
- 40:04 Corner taken by Danny Welbeck from the left by-line.
- 40:01 Ashley Young takes a shot. Philippe Senderos gets a block in.
- 37:00 A cross is delivered by Antonio Valencia, clearance made by Brede Hangeland.
- 36:44 Luis Nani crosses the ball, Brede Hangeland manages to make a clearance.
- 34:20 The ball is delivered by Luis Nani, clearance made by Brede Hangeland. Corner taken short by Ryan Giggs.
- 31:53 The ball is swung over by Antonio Valencia, Philippe Senderos manages to make a clearance.
- 28:32 Ashley Young challenges Bryan Ruiz unfairly and gives away a free kick. Direct free kick taken by Chris Baird.
- 27:26 Assist on the goal came from Ryan Giggs.
- 27:26 GOAL - Luis Nani:Fulham 0 - 2 Man Utd Luis Nani finds the net with a headed goal from inside the six-yard box. Fulham 0-2 Man Utd.
- 27:23 Ryan Giggs crosses the ball,
- 26:50 Short corner taken by Ryan Giggs from the right by-line.
- 26:13 Centre by Luis Nani, clearance by Danny Murphy. Short corner taken by Ryan Giggs.
- 24:31 Luis Nani takes a shot. David Stockdale makes a save. Luis Nani decides to take the corner short.
- 23:34 Danny Welbeck takes the chance to get an effort at goal. Save by David Stockdale.
- 22:39 Antonio Valencia challenges Moussa Dembele unfairly and gives away a free kick. Free kick taken by David Stockdale.
- 21:16 Ashley Young gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Philippe Senderos. Free kick taken by Brede Hangeland.
- 19:22 Strike on goal comes in from Ryan Giggs from the free kick, David Stockdale makes a save.
- 19:22 Substitution Phil Jones leaves the field to be replaced by Ashley Young.
- 19:22 Unfair challenge on Wayne Rooney by Dickson Etuhu results in a free kick.
- 17:55 Corner taken by Danny Murphy from the left by-line, Chris Smalling manages to make a clearance.
- 17:17 Centre by Patrice Evra, clearance by John Arne Riise.
- 15:03 Andrew Johnson delivers the ball.
- 14:27 Wayne Rooney takes a shot. David Stockdale makes a save.
- 14:03 The ball is crossed by Chris Baird, clearance by Chris Smalling.
- 11:56 Moussa Dembele fouled by Ryan Giggs, the ref awards a free kick. Free kick taken by Danny Murphy.
- 8:43 Long range shot from Luis Nani misses to the left of the target.
- 8:05 The ball is crossed by Phil Jones.
- 7:34 The ball is delivered by Moussa Dembele, clearance made by Jonathan Evans.
- 4:52 Assist on the goal came from Luis Nani.
- 4:52 GOAL - Danny Welbeck:Fulham 0 - 1 Man Utd Goal scored by Danny Welbeck from deep inside the penalty box to the bottom right corner of the goal. Fulham 0-1 Man Utd.
- 4:49 The ball is swung over by Luis Nani,
- 0:45 Centre by Luis Nani, clearance by Brede Hangeland.
- 0:00 The referee starts the match.
Live text and data provided by The Press Association.
Premier League results
Premier League table snapshot