Everton 1 - 0 Swansea
Page last updated at 21:53 GMT, Wednesday, 21 December 2011
Leon Osman's second goal in as many games gave Everton victory over Swansea City and only their third home win of the season.
The midfielder had just wasted a good chance, toe-poking Phil Neville's free-kick at Swansea keeper Michel Vorm, when he headed the hosts in front.
Osman guided Roysten Drenthe's right-wing corner past Vorm to seal their first victory in four games.
Danny Graham's close-range header was Swansea's only chance in a poor game.
But Everton boss David Moyes will not mind how his side secured victory as the Toffees beat a newly promoted side and kept a home clean sheet for the first time this season.
Everton's triumph could have been greater if referee Kevin Friend had awarded a penalty when Ashley Williams's arm blocked a seemingly goal-bound shot from substitute Magaye Gueye in the first half.
But Osman's winner proved decisive in a game between two of the lowest scorers in the top-flight this season as Everton extended their all-time unbeaten record against the Welsh team.
EVERTON v SWANSEA FACTSContinue reading the main story
- Everton have never lost to Swansea in 15 games in all competitions
- Everton secured their 1,800th league win by beating Swansea
- Swansea have the worst away record in the Premier League this season (3 draws, 6 defeats)
- Swansea are yet to earn a Premier League point after going behind
The hosts edged a forgettable first half and, with chances at a premium, Everton pair Johnny Heitinga and Louis Saha both missed the target with headers.
And when the hosts finally found their way through the visiting defence, goalkeeper Vorm, so often Swansea's hero this season, once again did the business.
Gueye, who had replaced the injured Seamus Coleman, hit Leighton Baines' cut-back goalwards.
But the Swans goalkeeper kept out the Everton midfielder with a superb one-handed save before Williams blocked Gueye's rebound.
The second effort hit Wales defender Williams's arm but Everton players did not appeal and no penalty was awarded.
Drenthe, Everton's main goal threat, then went close with a curling 20-yard free-kick at the end of the opening period.
Osman did hit the target early on in the second half but his tame poke from Neville's quickly taken free-kick was easily dealt with by Vorm.
But somehow Everton's little midfielder did find space in the Swansea box, losing his marker Stephen Caulker, to break the deadlock on the hour.
Drenthe's inswinging right-wing corner teased the Swans defence and Osman, who nudged home the leveller against Norwich on Saturday, again applied the clinical finish that earned Everton their 1,800th league win.
Swans striker Graham had the their only real sight of goal but the top scorer headed Wayne Routledge's deep cross straight at Everton keeper Tim Howard as Swansea's search for an away win in the Premier League continued.
Everton manager David Moyes: "We needed to win but Goodison's been good to us in the years gone past regarding picking up the victories so let's hope tonight we can start to get on a good run here.
"The last few games Leon Osman has come back to the sort of form we know.
"He got us a goal on Saturday, he got us another one tonight and he's been a really important member of the squad.
"He's got an intelligence that allows us to work with him on the way he plays and what we asked him to do tonight. Because Swansea are a top passing team and a very good team."
Swansea City manager Brendan Rodgers: "I'm disappointed because I felt defensively throughout the game we were excellent.
"Then the goal that we concede comes in an area that we feel we defend well - and the smallest guy in their team ends up getting the header in and scores.
"I've got to say I didn't think it was a corner, when you watch it again on the replay we defended it well and Drenthe has got down the side, Ash has just shepherded him to the line and he has tried to cross it with his right foot and kicked it behind.
"But we should defend it better when the corner comes in."
Live text and stats
Wednesday, 21 December 2011
|Home Team||Score||Away Team||Time|
- 24 Howard
- 02 Hibbert
- 03 Baines
- 05 Heitinga
- 06 Jagielka
- 18 Neville
- 23 Coleman (Gueye 31 yellow card)
- 10 Drenthe (Cahill 80)
- 21 Osman
- 25 Fellaini
- 08 Saha (Stracqualursi 75)
- 01 Vorm
- 02 Williams yellow card
- 03 Taylor (Rangel 45+1)
- 04 Caulker
- 07 Britton (Lita 74)
- 11 Sinclair
- 15 Routledge yellow card
- 24 Allen
- 27 Gower (Agustien 46)
- 29 Richards
- 10 Graham
- Everton 53%
- Swansea 47%
Attempts on target
- Everton 6
- Swansea 4
Attempts off target
- Everton 7
- Swansea 0
- Everton 9
- Swansea 2
- Everton 8
- Swansea 13
- Final Result
- Full Time
- 90:00+3:08 The referee signals the end of the game.
- 89:04 Wayne Routledge crosses the ball, clearance made by Phil Jagielka.
- 85:34 Leon Osman takes a shot. Save by Michel Vorm.
- 84:47 A cross is delivered by Leighton Baines, blocked by Wayne Routledge. Magaye Gueye takes a outswinging corner.
- 81:56 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Tony Hibbert by Danny Graham. Direct free kick taken by Tim Howard.
- 81:11 Free kick awarded for a foul by Denis Stracqualursi on Kemy Agustien. Direct free kick taken by Ashley Williams.
- 79:38 Substitution Royston Drenthe goes off and Tim Cahill comes on.
- 78:53 Angel Rangel gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Denis Stracqualursi. Free kick crossed by Leighton Baines.
- 77:21 Royston Drenthe fouled by Ashley Richards, the ref awards a free kick. Phil Jagielka takes the free kick.
- 75:33 Free kick taken by Angel Rangel.
- 75:33 Booking Magaye Gueye is cautioned by the ref for unsporting behaviour.
- 75:25 Magaye Gueye challenges Wayne Routledge unfairly and gives away a free kick.
- 74:07 Phil Jagielka takes the free kick.
- 74:07 Substitution Denis Stracqualursi on for Louis Saha.
- 74:07 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Royston Drenthe by Ashley Richards.
- 73:20 Substitution Leroy Lita replaces Leon Britton.
- 73:05 The ball is swung over by Wayne Routledge, Phil Jagielka manages to make a clearance.
- 68:55 Unfair challenge on Louis Saha by Ashley Williams results in a free kick. Royston Drenthe shoots direct from the free kick.
- 68:13 Johnny Heitinga restarts play with the free kick.
- 68:13 Booking The referee books Wayne Routledge for unsporting behaviour.
- 68:08 Magaye Gueye fouled by Wayne Routledge, the ref awards a free kick.
- 67:30 Johnny Heitinga gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Danny Graham. Kemy Agustien restarts play with the free kick.
- 67:00 Wayne Routledge sends in a cross, Danny Graham takes a shot. Save by Tim Howard.
- 64:05 The ball is delivered by Magaye Gueye, blocked by Steven Caulker. Outswinging corner taken left-footed by Royston Drenthe played to the near post, Shot from close range by Phil Jagielka misses to the left of the goal.
- 62:43 Joe Allen takes a shot. Blocked by Johnny Heitinga.
- 62:25 Marouane Fellaini challenges Leon Britton unfairly and gives away a free kick. Free kick taken by Leon Britton.
- 59:46 The assist for the goal came from Royston Drenthe.
- 59:46 GOAL - Leon Osman:Everton 1 - 0 Swansea Leon Osman finds the back of the net with a headed goal from deep inside the penalty area. Everton 1-0 Swansea.
- 59:18 Royston Drenthe crosses the ball, Ashley Williams gets a block in. Corner taken by Royston Drenthe from the right by-line to the near post,
- 57:28 Royston Drenthe delivers the ball, save made by Michel Vorm.
- 56:21 Kemy Agustien challenges Leon Osman unfairly and gives away a free kick. Direct free kick taken by Phil Neville. Leon Osman takes a shot. Michel Vorm makes a save.
- 55:48 The ball is crossed by Leighton Baines, clearance made by Ashley Williams.
- 52:35 The ball is swung over by Wayne Routledge, clearance made by Tony Hibbert.
- 52:09 Shot from 25 yards by Steven Caulker. Johnny Heitinga gets a block in.
- 48:58 Foul by Royston Drenthe on Scott Sinclair, free kick awarded. Direct free kick taken by Ashley Williams. Wayne Routledge takes a shot. Tony Hibbert gets a block in. Outswinging corner taken by Joe Allen, clearance by Marouane Fellaini.
- 47:00 Corner from right by-line taken by Royston Drenthe.
- 46:39 Tony Hibbert fouled by Scott Sinclair, the ref awards a free kick. Tim Howard takes the free kick.
- 46:14 Magaye Gueye delivers the ball.
- 45:01 The match restarts for the second half.
- 45:01 Substitution Kemy Agustien comes on in place of Mark Gower.
- Half Time
- 45:00+2:20 The first half comes to an end.
- 45:00+0:46 Substitution Neil Taylor leaves the field to be replaced by Angel Rangel.
- 45:00+0:04 Magaye Gueye is caught offside. Michel Vorm takes the indirect free kick.
- 44:26 The ball is sent over by Phil Neville, Leon Britton makes a clearance.
- 42:04 Centre by Leighton Baines. Free kick awarded for a foul by Joe Allen on Royston Drenthe. Shot on goal comes in from Royston Drenthe from the free kick.
- 40:37 Leighton Baines shoots direct from the free kick.
- 40:37 Booking Ashley Williams is given a yellow card.
- 39:36 Effort on goal by Leon Osman from 20 yards. Blocked by Ashley Williams. Handball decision goes against Ashley Williams.
- 38:05 Corner taken by Royston Drenthe from the right by-line played to the near post, Phil Jagielka produces a left-footed shot from close in that clears the bar.
- 36:20 Leighton Baines produces a cross, Magaye Gueye takes a shot. Save by Michel Vorm.
- 35:41 The official flags Royston Drenthe offside. Free kick taken by Ashley Williams.
- 35:13 Royston Drenthe takes a inswinging corner from the right by-line played to the near post, clearance by Wayne Routledge.
- 34:35 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Marouane Fellaini by Mark Gower. Free kick crossed left-footed by Leighton Baines from left channel, Ashley Williams makes a clearance.
- 33:57 Centre by Leon Osman, Header by Louis Saha from deep inside the penalty area misses to the left of the target.
- 32:31 Leon Osman takes the inswinging corner, clearance made by Steven Caulker.
- 30:36 Substitution Seamus Coleman goes off and Magaye Gueye comes on.
- 28:30 Royston Drenthe crosses the ball, blocked by Steven Caulker. Corner taken left-footed by Leighton Baines from the left by-line to the near post, clearance by Leon Britton.
- 27:12 Tony Hibbert crosses the ball, Header from deep inside the area by Johnny Heitinga goes over the bar.
- 24:35 The assistant referee flags for offside against Leon Osman. Michel Vorm takes the free kick.
- 21:09 The ball is crossed by Scott Sinclair.
- 20:02 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Wayne Routledge by Leighton Baines. Free kick crossed right-footed by Mark Gower from right wing.
- 18:56 The ball is crossed by Royston Drenthe, Leon Britton manages to make a clearance.
- 18:15 Wayne Routledge sends in a cross.
- 16:35 Unfair challenge on Royston Drenthe by Wayne Routledge results in a free kick. Tim Howard takes the direct free kick.
- 14:24 The ball is delivered by Royston Drenthe, save by Michel Vorm.
- 13:15 Corner taken by Leon Osman played to the near post, Mark Gower manages to make a clearance. Royston Drenthe takes a shot. Blocked by Steven Caulker.
- 12:07 Foul by Mark Gower on Phil Neville, free kick awarded. Free kick taken by Leighton Baines.
- 11:31 The offside flag is raised against Danny Graham. Johnny Heitinga takes the free kick.
- 10:30 The ball is crossed by Neil Taylor.
- 9:17 A cross is delivered by Wayne Routledge, save by Tim Howard.
- 7:24 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Scott Sinclair by Phil Neville. Free kick crossed by Mark Gower, clearance made by Phil Jagielka. Short corner worked by Mark Gower.
- 5:06 Ashley Richards concedes a free kick for a foul on Leighton Baines. Leighton Baines crosses the ball in from the free kick.
- 4:20 Centre by Seamus Coleman.
- 1:04 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Neil Taylor by Louis Saha. Neil Taylor takes the free kick.
- 0:00 The match begins.
Live text and data provided by The Press Association.
Premier League results
Premier League table snapshot