Chelsea 2 - 1 Man City
Page last updated at 14:41 GMT, Friday, 9 December 2011
Barclays Premier League
- Venue: Stamford Bridge
- Date: Monday, 12 December
- Kick-off: 2000 GMT
- Coverage: Watch live on Sky Sports 1; listen on BBC Radio 5 live and local radio; text commentary on BBC Sport website and mobiles
Live text and stats
Monday, 12 December 2011
|Home Team||Score||Away Team||Time|
- 01 Cech
- 02 Ivanovic
- 03 Cole
- 17 Bosingwa
- 26 Terry
- 06 Romeu yellow card
- 07 Ramires yellow card
- 16 Meireles yellow card (Lampard 73)
- 10 Mata (Malouda 84)
- 11 Drogba yellow card
- 23 Sturridge (Mikel 88)
- 25 Hart
- 04 Kompany yellow card
- 05 Zabaleta
- 06 Lescott (Dzeko 85)
- 22 Clichy two yellow cards, red card
- 07 Milner
- 18 Barry
- 21 Silva (De Jong 75)
- 42 Y Toure
- 16 Aguero (K Toure 64)
- 45 Balotelli
- Chelsea 58%
- Man City 42%
Attempts on target
- Chelsea 7
- Man City 4
Attempts off target
- Chelsea 6
- Man City 4
- Chelsea 5
- Man City 1
- Chelsea 11
- Man City 18
- Final Result
- Full Time
- 90:00+4:29 The referee signals the end of the game.
- 90:00+4:00 Mario Balotelli concedes a free kick for a foul on Mikel. Branislav Ivanovic restarts play with the free kick.
- 90:00+2:12 Shot on goal by Didier Drogba from long range goes harmlessly over the target.
- 90:00+0:16 Gnegneri Toure Yaya challenges Jose Bosingwa unfairly and gives away a free kick. Direct free kick taken by Frank Lampard.
- 89:56 Florent Malouda decides to take a short corner.
- 89:28 Short corner worked by Florent Malouda.
- 88:28 Gareth Barry concedes a free kick for a foul on Mikel. Jose Bosingwa takes the free kick. Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Didier Drogba by Pablo Zabaleta. Ramires restarts play with the free kick.
- 87:11 Petr Cech restarts play with the free kick.
- 87:11 Substitution Mikel on for Daniel Sturridge.
- 87:11 Mario Balotelli concedes a free kick for a foul on Oriol Romeu.
- 85:33 Jose Bosingwa challenges Mario Balotelli unfairly and gives away a free kick. James Milner delivers the ball from the free kick right-footed from left wing.
- 84:32 Substitution (Man City) makes a substitution, with Edin Dzeko coming on for Joleon Lescott.
- 83:19 Substitution Florent Malouda comes on in place of Juan Mata.
- 82:56 Daniel Sturridge provided the assist for the goal.
- 82:46 GOAL - Frank Lampard:Chelsea 2 - 1 Man City Frank Lampard scores a power penalty. Chelsea 2-1 Man City.
- 81:09 Daniel Sturridge takes a shot. Blocked by Joleon Lescott. The referee gives a against Joleon Lescott for handball.
- 79:44 Ramires takes a shot. Save by Joe Hart.
- Correction - 78:44 Juan Mata concedes a free kick for a foul on Nigel De Jong. Joleon Lescott restarts play with the free kick.
- 78:44 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Nigel De Jong by Juan Mata. Direct free kick taken by Nigel De Jong.
- 77:40 Joleon Lescott takes the free kick.
- 77:40 Booking Didier Drogba goes into the book.
- 77:31 Pablo Zabaleta fouled by Didier Drogba, the ref awards a free kick.
- 76:12 Jose Bosingwa fouled by Gareth Barry, the ref awards a free kick. Direct free kick taken by Jose Bosingwa.
- 74:06 Pablo Zabaleta takes the free kick.
- 74:06 Substitution David Silva goes off and Nigel De Jong comes on.
- 74:06 Booking Ramires receives a yellow card.
- 73:54 Mario Balotelli fouled by Ramires, the ref awards a free kick.
- 73:30 Centre by Juan Mata. The ball is sent over by Jose Bosingwa, Vincent Kompany manages to make a clearance.
- 72:34 Substitution Frank Lampard is brought on as a substitute for Raul Meireles.
- 72:25 Shot from just outside the box by Daniel Sturridge misses to the right of the target.
- 71:10 Foul by Jose Bosingwa on Mario Balotelli, free kick awarded. Direct free kick taken by Pablo Zabaleta.
- 70:43 The ball is delivered by Jose Bosingwa, Joleon Lescott manages to make a clearance. Ashley Cole sends in a cross, Pablo Zabaleta makes a clearance.
- 70:22 The ball is delivered by Jose Bosingwa, clearance made by Vincent Kompany.
- 67:46 Mario Balotelli takes a shot. Save by Petr Cech.
- 66:47 Jose Bosingwa crosses the ball, Vincent Kompany makes a clearance.
- 65:01 David Silva concedes a free kick for a foul on Juan Mata. Raul Meireles takes the direct free kick.
- 64:05 Unfair challenge on Ramires by Mario Balotelli results in a free kick. Branislav Ivanovic restarts play with the free kick.
- 63:09 Joe Hart takes the direct free kick.
- 63:09 Substitution Kolo Toure is brought on as a substitute for Sergio Aguero.
- 63:09 Booking Oriol Romeu is cautioned.
- 63:03 Oriol Romeu concedes a free kick for a foul on Mario Balotelli.
- 62:47 Ramires takes a shot. Blocked by Didier Drogba.
- 61:00 Daniel Sturridge takes a short corner. Juan Mata crosses the ball, clearance by Pablo Zabaleta. Foul by Sergio Aguero on Oriol Romeu, free kick awarded. Didier Drogba takes the free kick.
- 57:30 Didier Drogba produces a shot on goal direct from the free kick.
- 57:30 Sent off Gael Clichy is shown a red card for second bookable offence.
- 57:13 Free kick awarded for a foul by Gael Clichy on Ramires.
- 56:36 Foul by Mario Balotelli on Daniel Sturridge, free kick awarded. Jose Bosingwa restarts play with the free kick.
- 52:34 Vincent Kompany gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Juan Mata. Didier Drogba takes the free kick.
- 49:43 Sergio Aguero challenges Ashley Cole unfairly and gives away a free kick. Petr Cech takes the free kick.
- 48:38 Daniel Sturridge crosses the ball, Joleon Lescott makes a clearance.
- Correction - 46:42 Daniel Sturridge takes a shot from just inside the penalty box which clears the crossbar.
- 46:42 Gael Clichy takes a shot from just inside the penalty box which clears the crossbar.
- 46:12 Juan Mata restarts play with the free kick.
- 46:12 Booking Gael Clichy is cautioned by the ref for unsporting behaviour.
- 46:09 Gael Clichy challenges Daniel Sturridge unfairly and gives away a free kick.
- 45:01 The second half has started.
- Half Time
- 45:00+2:03 The ref blows to signal half-time.
- 45:00+1:19 Sergio Aguero takes a shot from 12 yards. Petr Cech makes a save.
- 45:00+0:38 Raul Meireles challenges Gnegneri Toure Yaya unfairly and gives away a free kick. Vincent Kompany takes the direct free kick.
- 43:08 The ball is sent over by Ramires.
- Correction - 40:30 Juan Mata restarts play with the free kick.
- 40:30 Juan Mata takes the direct free kick.
- 40:30 Booking Booking for Vincent Kompany.
- Correction - 40:26 Unfair challenge on Didier Drogba by Vincent Kompany results in a free kick.
- 40:26 Free kick awarded for a foul by Vincent Kompany on Didier Drogba.
- 39:31 The referee gives a free kick against James Milner for handball. Direct free kick taken by Petr Cech.
- 38:39 Sergio Aguero is ruled offside. Petr Cech takes the indirect free kick.
- 37:00 Corner taken by James Milner, Didier Drogba makes a clearance.
- 35:09 Free kick taken by Vincent Kompany.
- 35:09 Booking Caution for Raul Meireles.
- 34:59 Raul Meireles gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Pablo Zabaleta.
- 33:19 Daniel Sturridge provided the assist for the goal.
- 33:19 GOAL - Raul Meireles:Chelsea 1 - 1 Man City Raul Meireles finds the net with a goal from inside the penalty area high into the middle of the goal. Chelsea 1-1 Man City.
- 33:18 Daniel Sturridge crosses the ball,
- 31:53 David Silva gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Ashley Cole. Ashley Cole takes the free kick.
- 29:55 Raul Meireles challenges David Silva unfairly and gives away a free kick. Free kick taken by Gnegneri Toure Yaya.
- 29:36 The ball is swung over by Ashley Cole, clearance by Gareth Barry.
- 27:31 Didier Drogba produces a right-footed shot from just outside the penalty box that misses to the left of the target.
- 24:37 Outswinging corner taken by Juan Mata, Joleon Lescott manages to make a clearance.
- 24:14 Didier Drogba takes a shot. Save by Joe Hart.
- 23:30 The ball is swung over by James Milner.
- 22:28 Mario Balotelli concedes a free kick for a foul on Jose Bosingwa. Juan Mata takes the direct free kick.
- 19:56 Gael Clichy delivers the ball.
- 16:51 The ball is sent over by Jose Bosingwa, clearance by Joleon Lescott.
- 16:12 The ball is crossed by Didier Drogba, Pablo Zabaleta manages to make a clearance.
- 15:02 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on David Silva by Ramires. Mario Balotelli has an effort direct from the free kick.
- 11:38 The assistant referee signals for offside against Mario Balotelli. Free kick taken by Branislav Ivanovic.
- 10:37 Sergio Aguero produces a left-footed shot from deep inside the penalty area which goes wide of the right-hand post.
- 9:46 Jose Bosingwa takes a shot. Gareth Barry gets a block in. Raul Meireles takes a shot. Joleon Lescott gets a block in. Corner taken short by Juan Mata.
- 9:24 Juan Mata delivers the ball, clearance by Joleon Lescott.
- 9:00 Mario Balotelli takes a shot. Blocked by John Terry.
- 8:35 Long distance shot from Sergio Aguero misses to the left of the goal.
- 7:58 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Gael Clichy by Ramires. Joe Hart restarts play with the free kick.
- 5:01 The offside flag is raised against Gael Clichy. Petr Cech takes the free kick.
- 3:57 Effort from outside the penalty area by Raul Meireles goes wide left of the target.
- 1:38 Assist by Sergio Aguero.
- 1:38 GOAL - Mario Balotelli:Chelsea 0 - 1 Man City Mario Balotelli grabs a goal from close range to the bottom right corner of the goal. Chelsea 0-1 Man City.
- 0:35 Unfair challenge on Ashley Cole by David Silva results in a free kick. Free kick taken by Juan Mata.
- 0:00 The match gets underway.
Live text and data provided by The Press Association.
Frank Lampard is hoping to be recalled to make his 350th Premier League start for Chelsea.
Jose Bosingwa is a doubt after missing the Champions League win against Valencia with an adductor strain, and Josh McEachran is still sidelined.
Manchester City right-back Micah Richards is likely to miss out with a calf injury.
Pablo Zabaleta is now fit and could replace him, but left-back Aleksandar Kolarov (groin) remains out.
In the wake of a stinging rebuke to Chelsea's critics, Portuguese man-of-war Andre Villas-Boas needs his players to display their backbone against the league leaders.
The media barbs will be out if they don't. Villas-Boas claimed after Chelsea won their Champions League group in midweek that there had been "persecution" of the Blues during their recent indifferent run. He feels that Monday's opponents Manchester City have not been subjected to the same pressure despite their ultimate failure to reach the knockout stages in Europe.
Manchester City manager Roberto Mancini
Chelsea are a good team with a good young manager; they still have a chance of winning the league
Having "given everyone a slap in the face" by beating Valencia, Chelsea must now resuscitate their domestic title challenge. Their recent home record in this fixture is impressive, but then so is this current City side.
Roberto Mancini's team are averaging more than three goals a game and their current club record run of 17 league matches without defeat has only been bettered by four sides in the Premier League - including Chelsea.
Mancini has been philosophical about City's Champions League exit and is unlikely to get carried away whatever the result at Stamford Bridge. His counterpart, Villas-Boas, may not be so calm if Chelsea slip 13 points behind the leaders on Monday night.
- Chelsea have won five of their last six home matches against Manchester City. Their only defeat in the last 13 was by 4-2 in February 2007 when Carlos Tevez and Craig Bellamy scored two goals apiece.
- Chelsea's tally of 28 points from 14 matches matches their tally at the same stage last season. A win on Monday night would give them a better record than they had after 15 games a year ago.
- They are the only top-flight club to use all three substitutes in every league game this season.
- Didier Drogba is a hat-trick shy of 100 Premier League goals.
- Frank Lampard has scored five goals in his last nine league matches against Manchester City. He could make his 350th Premier League start for Chelsea.
- City have picked up 38 points from their 14 matches - the most by a top-flight club at this stage of the season since Liverpool had 38 in 1990-91. The last team to pick up 41 points from their first 15 top-flight matches was Manchester United in 1985-86.
- Roberto Mancini's side have scored 48 league goals, a record last bettered at this stage of a season by Tottenham in 1962.
- City have been behind for only a combined 15 minutes in all of their league matches this season.
- They have not kept a clean sheet in their last seven league matches - their worst run for two years.
Premier League results
Premier League table snapshot