Everton 0 - 1 Stoke
Page last updated at 16:57 GMT, Sunday, 4 December 2011
Robert Huth's first-half strike was enough to give Stoke victory against Everton, their first win at Goodison Park since 1981.
The German defender struck early in the opening period when he diverted Dean Whitehead's low volley past Tim Howard from close range.
Stoke created few other chances but came close to doubling their lead when Peter Crouch headed two yards wide.
Everton's best chance fell to Diniyar Bilyaletdinov, who fired horribly wide.
That strike was laughable on a rainy afternoon at Goodison Park where there few efforts on target and where the defences were on top.
The home side's attack was particularly disappointing and bereft of ideas with Stoke never needing to make more than scrambled clearances or well-time blocks.
Everton were impotent in the middle and up front, with midfielder Tim Cahill, the reliable provider of goals in previous seasons, unable to penetrate the backline with his surging runs, while Russian Bilyaletdinov was substituted in the second half after another ineffective display.
DID YOU KNOW?Continue reading the main story
- Stoke had lost their previous four away matches
Apart from Bilyaletdinov's wild first-half effort, the closest Everton came to scoring was when Jack Rodwell saw his goalbound shot blocked by Andy Wilkinson and when Leighton Baines's ball across the six-yard area eluded a vital touch.
Stoke fared little better but at least managed to score.
The goal came early in the match when Matthew Etherington's corner was headed out to Whitehead and his snap-volley was turned in by Huth.
Had the German not had the final touch then American stopper Howard would have probably saved the shot.
Moments later, defender Ryan Shotton was fractions away from heading in a second for Tony Pulis's men, before striker Crouch nodded Etherington's free-kick two yards wide.
The only disappointment for Stoke were the injuries to defender Jonathan Woodgate and keeper Thomas Sorensen.
Woodgate limped off in the second half and was followed into the treatment room by Dane Sorensen who appeared to suffer from concussion after he collided with Cahill.
Before the match, Everton paid tribute to former player and fan Gary Speed who died last Sunday.
The Welsh anthem was played and was followed by a minute's applause during which Speed's father Roger and some of his former Goodison team-mates were greeted on the pitch.
Everton manager David Moyes:
"I thought the referee had a poor game.
"It is not the reason for our loss - far from it because that was down to our inability to make and take chances.
"But there was a lot going on in the box and we got very little of it.
"We hadn't done an awful lot wrong and we found ourselves a goal down.
"I don't think we deserved to be behind in the game but we had to go chasing it.
"What wins games is goals and they got the goal and we didn't."
Stoke boss Tony Pulis:
"This was a real battling performance against a good Everton team.
"It has been a great week for the club. To get six points and to qualify for the latter stages of the Europa League is first class.
"We have had a dip of form, which most clubs do, and we have shown a lot of character and spirit the last week and the result on Thursday against Kiev was a fantastic result for us."
Live text and stats
Sunday, 4 December 2011
|Home Team||Score||Away Team||Time|
- 24 Howard
- 02 Hibbert (Gueye 83)
- 03 Baines
- 05 Heitinga
- 06 Jagielka
- 23 Coleman
- 07 Bilyaletdinov (Rodwell 63)
- 17 Cahill
- 21 Osman
- 25 Fellaini
- 27 Vellios (Stracqualursi 76)
- 29 Sorensen (Begovic 73)
- 04 Huth
- 17 Shawcross
- 30 Shotton
- 39 Woodgate (Wilkinson 53)
- 06 Whelan
- 12 Wilson yellow card
- 18 Whitehead
- 26 Etherington (Upson 90+3)
- 19 Walters
- 25 Crouch
- Everton 57%
- Stoke 43%
Attempts on target
- Everton 4
- Stoke 4
Attempts off target
- Everton 7
- Stoke 3
- Everton 10
- Stoke 6
- Everton 14
- Stoke 13
- Final Result
- Full Time
- 90:00+7:47 The referee signals the end of the game.
- 90:00+7:11 Magaye Gueye takes a shot. Blocked by Peter Crouch.
- 90:00+5:32 Inswinging corner taken by Leighton Baines.
- 90:00+5:06 The assistant referee signals for offside against Jonathan Walters. Johnny Heitinga takes the indirect free kick.
- 90:00+4:20 Glenn Whelan fouled by Marouane Fellaini, the ref awards a free kick. Asmir Begovic takes the direct free kick.
- 90:00+3:57 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Jack Rodwell by Dean Whitehead. Free kick taken by Johnny Heitinga.
- 90:00+2:30 Substitution Matthew Upson replaces Matthew Etherington.
- 90:00+2:02 Marouane Fellaini takes a shot. Comfortable save by Asmir Begovic.
- 84:15 Centre by Leighton Baines.
- 83:39 Leon Osman decides to take the corner short.
- 82:06 Substitution Magaye Gueye joins the action as a substitute, replacing Tony Hibbert.
- 81:55 Marouane Fellaini has shot on goal from just outside the box which goes wide of the right-hand upright.
- 81:29 Jack Rodwell takes a shot. Blocked by Andy Wilkinson.
- 79:35 Foul by Marouane Fellaini on Dean Whitehead, free kick awarded. Free kick taken by Asmir Begovic.
- 79:20 Leighton Baines takes a shot. Blocked by Peter Crouch.
- 79:05 Short corner worked by Leon Osman.
- 78:37 Free kick awarded for a foul by Andy Wilkinson on Denis Stracqualursi. Johnny Heitinga restarts play with the free kick.
- 78:15 Effort on goal by Dean Whitehead from 20 yards.
- 77:44 Corner taken by Glenn Whelan played to the near post, clearance made by Jack Rodwell.
- 77:11 Dean Whitehead fouled by Marouane Fellaini, the ref awards a free kick. Glenn Whelan delivers the ball from the free kick right-footed from right channel, clearance by Marouane Fellaini.
- 76:03 Tim Cahill concedes a free kick for a foul on Dean Whitehead. Asmir Begovic restarts play with the free kick.
- 74:18 Asmir Begovic takes the direct free kick.
- 74:18 Substitution Denis Stracqualursi replaces Apostolos Vellios.
- 74:18 Free kick awarded for a foul by Dean Whitehead on Leon Osman. Leighton Baines crosses the ball from the free kick left-footed from right wing, Apostolos Vellios gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Robert Huth.
- 72:40 Substitution Asmir Begovic replaces Thomas Sorensen.
- 69:22 Dean Whitehead gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Tony Hibbert. Phil Jagielka takes the direct free kick.
- 68:31 Corner taken right-footed by Leon Osman to the near post, Glenn Whelan makes a clearance.
- 65:44 The referee blows for offside. Phil Jagielka takes the indirect free kick.
- 63:51 Leon Osman decides to take a short corner.
- 62:34 Substitution Diniyar Bilyaletdinov leaves the field to be replaced by Jack Rodwell.
- 60:45 Corner taken by Glenn Whelan played to the near post, clearance by Leon Osman.
- 59:46 Leighton Baines sends in a cross.
- 58:24 Unfair challenge on Ryan Shotton by Diniyar Bilyaletdinov results in a free kick. Ryan Shawcross takes the direct free kick.
- 56:49 Diniyar Bilyaletdinov challenges Ryan Shotton unfairly and gives away a free kick. Glenn Whelan sends in a cross, Headed effort from deep inside the penalty area by Peter Crouch misses to the left of the goal.
- 56:13 Diniyar Bilyaletdinov challenges Dean Whitehead unfairly and gives away a free kick. Ryan Shawcross takes the free kick.
- 52:37 Thomas Sorensen restarts play with the free kick.
- 52:37 Substitution Jonathan Woodgate leaves the field to be replaced by Andy Wilkinson.
- 52:37 The assistant referee flags for offside against Diniyar Bilyaletdinov.
- 49:31 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Diniyar Bilyaletdinov by Ryan Shotton. Leighton Baines restarts play with the free kick.
- 48:13 Leighton Baines delivers the ball from the free kick left-footed from right wing, Glenn Whelan makes a clearance.
- 48:13 Booking Marc Wilson shown a yellow card.
- 48:08 Unfair challenge on Seamus Coleman by Marc Wilson results in a free kick.
- 47:03 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Diniyar Bilyaletdinov by Jonathan Woodgate. Free kick crossed left-footed by Leighton Baines.
- 45:01 The referee gets the second half started.
- Half Time
- 45:00+2:29 The referee blows for half time.
- 45:00+1:06 Corner taken by Diniyar Bilyaletdinov from the right by-line played to the near post, Headed effort from inside the area by Marouane Fellaini misses to the left of the goal.
- 45:00+0:28 Corner taken by Leighton Baines played to the near post, Glenn Whelan manages to make a clearance.
- 44:48 Seamus Coleman fouled by Ryan Shotton, the ref awards a free kick. Johnny Heitinga takes the direct free kick.
- 44:26 Glenn Whelan takes a inswinging corner.
- 43:19 Leon Osman concedes a free kick for a foul on Peter Crouch. The ball is crossed by Matthew Etherington, Ryan Shawcross takes a shot. Save by Tim Howard.
- 42:21 Effort from deep inside the area by Tim Cahill misses to the right of the target.
- 39:33 Seamus Coleman gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Dean Whitehead. Direct free kick taken by Thomas Sorensen.
- 39:28 Tony Hibbert sends in a cross, Peter Crouch makes a clearance.
- 38:54 Inswinging corner taken by Leighton Baines from the right by-line, Thomas Sorensen makes a save.
- 38:42 The ball is sent over by Tony Hibbert, Ryan Shawcross manages to make a clearance.
- 38:31 Leighton Baines sends in a cross, Ryan Shawcross makes a clearance.
- 36:48 Inswinging corner taken by Leon Osman from the left by-line, save by Thomas Sorensen.
- 36:15 Leon Osman takes a shot. Blocked by Robert Huth.
- 34:46 Ryan Shotton has a headed effort at goal from close in which goes wide right of the goal.
- 33:53 Corner taken by Glenn Whelan from the left by-line played to the near post.
- 31:28 Jonathan Walters takes a shot. Tony Hibbert gets a block in.
- 29:18 Glenn Whelan challenges Seamus Coleman unfairly and gives away a free kick. Free kick taken by Phil Jagielka.
- 27:38 Diniyar Bilyaletdinov sends in a cross, Tim Cahill concedes a free kick for a foul on Thomas Sorensen. Thomas Sorensen restarts play with the free kick.
- 23:02 The official flags Apostolos Vellios offside. Free kick taken by Thomas Sorensen.
- 22:36 Centre by Leighton Baines.
- 20:30 Free kick awarded for a foul by Leighton Baines on Ryan Shotton. Direct free kick taken by Glenn Whelan.
- 19:18 Corner taken right-footed by Glenn Whelan to the near post, Diniyar Bilyaletdinov makes a clearance.
- 18:52 Diniyar Bilyaletdinov crosses the ball, save by Thomas Sorensen.
- 17:44 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Johnny Heitinga by Jonathan Walters. Johnny Heitinga takes the free kick.
- 17:17 Short corner worked by Leon Osman.
- 14:20 Assist by Dean Whitehead. Leon Osman fouled by Jonathan Walters, the ref awards a free kick. Direct effort from the free kick comes in from Leighton Baines.
- 14:20 GOAL - Robert Huth:Everton 0 - 1 Stoke Robert Huth finds the net with a goal from inside the six-yard box to the top right corner of the goal. Everton 0-1 Stoke.
- 14:18 Shot from 20 yards by Dean Whitehead. Blocked by Robert Huth.
- 13:47 Corner taken left-footed by Matthew Etherington, clearance by Diniyar Bilyaletdinov.
- 12:48 Tony Hibbert concedes a free kick for a foul on Jonathan Walters. Marc Wilson takes the direct free kick.
- 12:17 A cross is delivered by Diniyar Bilyaletdinov, save by Thomas Sorensen.
- 9:48 Diniyar Bilyaletdinov takes a shot.
- 7:56 The ball is swung over by Diniyar Bilyaletdinov, Jonathan Woodgate makes a clearance.
- 6:12 Marouane Fellaini fouled by Peter Crouch, the ref awards a free kick. Phil Jagielka takes the free kick.
- 4:38 Johnny Heitinga concedes a free kick for a foul on Peter Crouch. Ryan Shawcross takes the free kick.
- 2:06 Effort from deep inside the area by Tim Cahill clears the bar.
- 0:49 Free kick awarded for a foul by Jonathan Woodgate on Diniyar Bilyaletdinov. Free kick crossed by Leighton Baines.
- 0:00 The match gets underway.
Live text and data provided by The Press Association.
Premier League table snapshot