Blackburn 4 - 2 Swansea
Page last updated at 16:53 GMT, Saturday, 3 December 2011
Yakubu scored four times to lift the pressure on boss Steve Kean as Blackburn claimed their second league win of the season by edging past Swansea.
Having not secured victory since beating Arsenal in September and with fellow strugglers Wigan and Bolton both losing, Blackburn moved off the bottom of the Premier League after a week which threatened Kean's position.
But following the midweek defeat at Cardiff in the Carling Cup, Yakubu proved his value with a poacher's quadruple to give Rovers' fans something positive to shout about - although there were still protests against Kean's tenure from sections of the home support.
The Nigerian striker played a delightful one-two with Gael Givet to open the scoring and scored another with his head on the stroke of half-time following Leroy Lita's headed equaliser.
The former Everton forward nodded in at the back post following a Rovers corner to complete his hat-trick and make it 3-1.
And although Luke Moore brought the nerves back to Ewood Park with a close-range finish after the hour, Yakubu sealed the points from the penalty spot late on following Joe Allen's red card for a second booking.
However, with victory sealed, the home supporters again concentrated their chants towards their beleaguered boss, with around 200 staying behind to register their disapproval in an organised protest.
It was Kean's seventh Premier League victory in 35 outings, and Rovers remain in the league's bottom three.
In a fluctuating match, frustration threatened to be directed towards the team as well as the manager, such was Swansea's dominance up until Yakubu's opener on 20 minutes.
The visitors were the far more brighter side, with Mark Gower and Joe Allen pulling the strings in midfield and Scott Sinclair dangerous on the left flank.
In contrast, Rovers were ponderous in attack and offered little pace to their ventures when they did get the ball.
DID YOU KNOW?Continue reading the main story
- This is the second time Yakubu has scored four goals in a single Premier League game. He also managed the feat for Portsmouth in a 5-1 win over Middlesbrough in May 2004
Sinclair shot wide early on as Rovers fans began to voice their frustration, but the mood was sweetened when Yakubu's goal came from an isolated foray into Swansea territory.
The Swansea defence looked to have recovered when Yakubu received the ball up front, but he waited for Givet to overlap and then smacked the Frenchman's cutback into the top corner.
Brendan Rodgers' side had a right to feel hard done by, but for all their craft they proved after the half hour that they can also add end product, with Gower exchanging passes before crossing for Lita to nod in at the far post.
Rovers were most threatening from set-pieces when Junior Hoilett, who returned to the side following a virus, fired over.
Yakubu then grabbed his second, when from Morten Gamst Pedersen's deep corner, substitute Simon Vukcevic - on for the injured Ruben Rochina - volleyed back into the box, and the Nigerian headed in at the back post.
And it was from another corner that Yakubu claimed his hat-trick goal on 57 minutes, when this time Chris Samba headed back for the striker to pounce.
Perhaps indicative of their lowly position, Rovers could not prevent Swansea from striking back soon after, just when they needed to grab hold of the ball and calm the game down.
The visitors' substitutes were the architects as Wayne Routledge's shot from the right was palmed away by Paul Robinson and Moore was on hand to crash the ball into the back of the net.
Sinclair, who was a menace down the left all afternoon, fired over from the edge of the box with 15 minutes left as nerves started to fray for Blackburn.
The home supporters breathed a sigh of relief though when Swansea were reduced to 10 men, Allen receiving his second booking for a push on Hoilett.
And when Vukcevic was brought down for a penalty, there was little doubt that Yakubu would have the final say on the pitch as he tucked in from 12 yards.
Unfortunately for Kean, a section of Rovers supporters stayed behind after the game to usurp that. Next stop for Rovers is Sunderland next Sunday, who will be managed by new boss Martin O'Neill.
Swansea manager Brendan Rodgers:
"It wasn't a great afternoon defensively and that's disappointing because for a large part of the game we looked terrific going forward.
"We conceded before half-time which was very disappointing, and then another for 3-1 which from time to time we're going to do, but it doesn't make it any easier to accept.
"It was a very frustrating day because for large parts of the game we were in total control. It wasn't just possession, it was penetration too, but we needed to defend better."
Live text and stats
Saturday, 3 December 2011
|Home Team||Score||Away Team||Time|
- 01 Robinson
- 04 Samba
- 05 Givet
- 16 Dann
- 08 Dunn (Petrovic 75)
- 10 Formica
- 12 Pedersen
- 35 Lowe
- 20 Rochina (Vukcevic 40)
- 23 Hoilett yellow card
- 24 Yakubu (Roberts 87)
- 01 Vorm
- 02 Williams
- 03 Taylor
- 16 Monk
- 07 Britton
- 11 Sinclair
- 12 Dyer (Routledge 46)
- 24 Allen two yellow cards, red card
- 27 Gower (Moore 61)
- 29 Richards
- 18 Lita
- Blackburn 45%
- Swansea 55%
Attempts on target
- Blackburn 9
- Swansea 5
Attempts off target
- Blackburn 5
- Swansea 5
- Blackburn 3
- Swansea 4
- Blackburn 12
- Swansea 13
- Final Result
- Full Time
- 90:00+3:40 The final whistle is blown by the referee.
- 90:00+2:56 Corner taken short by David Hoilett.
- 90:00+1:06 A cross is delivered by Simon Vukcevic.
- 90:00+0:08 Free kick awarded for a foul by Leon Britton on Morten Gamst Pedersen. Paul Robinson takes the direct free kick.
- 89:42 Ashley Richards produces a cross, Scott Sinclair takes a shot. Save made by Paul Robinson.
- 89:24 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Luke Moore by Morten Gamst Pedersen. Luke Moore takes the free kick.
- 87:04 Unfair challenge on Ashley Williams by Jason Roberts results in a free kick. Direct free kick taken by Luke Moore. A cross is delivered by Ashley Richards, clearance made by Christopher Samba.
- 86:05 Substitution Jason Roberts replaces Ayegbeni Yakubu.
- 83:41 Scott Dann challenges Leroy Lita unfairly and gives away a free kick. Free kick taken by Ashley Richards.
- 81:46 Simon Vukcevic provided the assist for the goal.
- 81:46 GOAL - Ayegbeni Yakubu:Blackburn 4 - 2 Swansea Penalty taken right-footed by Ayegbeni Yakubu and scored. Blackburn 4-2 Swansea.
- 81:15 Neil Taylor challenges Simon Vukcevic unfairly and gives away a Penalty.
- 80:05 Sent off Joe Allen is sent off.
- 80:01 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on David Hoilett by Joe Allen. Direct free kick taken by Paul Robinson.
- 79:47 Scott Sinclair takes a shot. Scott Dann gets a block in.
- 79:34 Corner taken short by Scott Sinclair.
- 78:22 Neil Taylor sends in a cross, clearance made by Scott Dann.
- 77:18 Leroy Lita crosses the ball, blocked by Christopher Samba. Joe Allen takes the inswinging corner, Gael Givet manages to make a clearance.
- 76:31 Morten Gamst Pedersen gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Neil Taylor. Ashley Williams takes the free kick.
- 75:31 Substitution David Dunn goes off and Radosav Petrovic comes on.
- 74:14 Ashley Richards sends in a cross, Effort on goal by Scott Sinclair from just inside the box goes harmlessly over the target.
- 72:38 Centre by Ashley Richards, David Hoilett gets a block in.
- 72:01 David Dunn gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Leon Britton. Michel Vorm takes the direct free kick.
- 71:25 Leroy Lita concedes a free kick for a foul on David Dunn. Free kick taken by Morten Gamst Pedersen.
- 68:52 The ball is sent over by Neil Taylor, blocked by Jason Lowe.
- 67:01 Luke Moore concedes a free kick for a foul on Morten Gamst Pedersen. Free kick taken by Paul Robinson. Christopher Samba concedes a free kick for a foul on Garry Monk. Michel Vorm takes the free kick.
- 65:40 The assist for the goal came from Wayne Routledge.
- 65:40 GOAL - Luke Moore:Blackburn 3 - 2 Swansea Luke Moore fires in a goal from inside the six-yard box to the top right corner of the goal. Blackburn 3-2 Swansea.
- 65:33 The ball is sent over by Wayne Routledge, save made by Paul Robinson.
- 64:10 Outswinging corner taken right-footed by Joe Allen from the right by-line to the near post, Gael Givet makes a clearance.
- 63:21 Corner taken right-footed by Joe Allen from the right by-line, clearance made by Christopher Samba.
- 62:53 Wayne Routledge crosses the ball, Christopher Samba manages to make a clearance.
- 62:44 Neil Taylor produces a cross, blocked by Jason Lowe.
- 60:32 Substitution Luke Moore is brought on as a substitute for Mark Gower.
- 59:27 David Hoilett produces a right-footed shot from just outside the box that misses to the right of the net.
- 58:47 Direct free kick taken by Paul Robinson.
- 58:47 Booking The referee cautions Joe Allen for unsporting behaviour.
- 58:38 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Morten Gamst Pedersen by Mark Gower.
- 56:47 Assist on the goal came from Christopher Samba.
- 56:47 GOAL - Ayegbeni Yakubu:Blackburn 3 - 1 Swansea Ayegbeni Yakubu finds the back of the net with a headed goal from inside the six-yard box. Blackburn 3-1 Swansea.
- 55:58 Outswinging corner taken from the left by-line by Morten Gamst Pedersen.
- 55:17 Free kick awarded for a foul by Ashley Richards on Morten Gamst Pedersen. Direct free kick taken by Paul Robinson.
- 54:16 The official flags Ayegbeni Yakubu offside. Free kick taken by Michel Vorm.
- 53:28 Mauro Formica has an effort at goal from just outside the box which goes wide of the right-hand upright.
- 52:43 Scott Sinclair has an effort from just inside the box that misses to the left of the target.
- Correction - 50:31 Leroy Lita has shot on goal from just outside the area which goes wide of the right-hand upright.
- 50:31 Shot from just outside the box by Leroy Lita goes over the bar.
- 49:26 Wayne Routledge produces a cross, save made by Paul Robinson.
- 47:50 David Dunn sends in a cross, save made by Michel Vorm.
- 45:01 The second half has started.
- 45:01 Substitution Wayne Routledge is brought on as a substitute for Nathan Dyer.
- Half Time
- 45:00+3:24 The ref blows to signal half-time.
- 45:00+1:33 Assist on the goal came from Simon Vukcevic.
- 45:00+1:33 GOAL - Ayegbeni Yakubu:Blackburn 2 - 1 Swansea Ayegbeni Yakubu grabs a headed goal from close in. Blackburn 2-1 Swansea.
- 45:00+1:05 Outswinging corner taken by Morten Gamst Pedersen, Garry Monk makes a clearance. The ball is sent over by Simon Vukcevic,
- 45:00+0:02 Effort on goal by David Hoilett from inside the penalty box misses to the right of the target.
- 43:43 Booking Caution for David Hoilett.
- 42:38 Effort from the edge of the area by Scott Sinclair goes wide of the right-hand upright.
- 41:40 Mark Gower takes a shot. Blocked by Scott Dann.
- 39:36 Ashley Richards takes the direct free kick.
- 39:36 Substitution Ruben Rochina goes off and Simon Vukcevic comes on.
- 39:36 Unfair challenge on Nathan Dyer by Gael Givet results in a free kick.
- 38:44 The ball is delivered by Neil Taylor, clearance by Christopher Samba.
- 35:55 Foul by David Dunn on Mark Gower, free kick awarded. The free kick is swung in right-footed by Mark Gower.
- 34:07 Assist on the goal came from Mark Gower.
- 34:07 GOAL - Leroy Lita:Blackburn 1 - 1 Swansea Leroy Lita finds the back of the net with a headed goal from inside the penalty box. Blackburn 1-1 Swansea.
- 34:05 The ball is swung over by Mark Gower,
- 33:12 Christopher Samba takes a shot. Save by Michel Vorm.
- 32:40 Foul by Nathan Dyer on Morten Gamst Pedersen, free kick awarded. Direct free kick taken by Paul Robinson.
- 32:06 The ball is swung over by Jason Lowe, Shot by Mauro Formica from deep inside the penalty area misses to the left of the target.
- 30:07 Free kick awarded for a foul by Jason Lowe on Scott Sinclair. Neil Taylor restarts play with the free kick.
- 28:04 Mauro Formica takes a shot. Blocked by Ashley Williams.
- 25:23 Ayegbeni Yakubu produces a right-footed shot from just outside the penalty box that goes wide left of the target.
- 24:06 David Hoilett takes a shot. Blocked by Garry Monk. Morten Gamst Pedersen concedes a free kick for a foul on Joe Allen. Joe Allen takes the direct free kick.
- 22:05 Leon Britton gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Ruben Rochina. Direct strike on goal from the free kick comes in from Morten Gamst Pedersen. David Dunn crosses the ball, Gael Givet takes a shot. Save made by Michel Vorm.
- 19:49 Assist by Gael Givet.
- 19:49 GOAL - Ayegbeni Yakubu:Blackburn 1 - 0 Swansea Ayegbeni Yakubu grabs a goal from the edge of the penalty area to the top right corner of the goal. Blackburn 1-0 Swansea.
- 19:01 Foul by Ruben Rochina on Scott Sinclair, free kick awarded. Free kick taken by Neil Taylor.
- 15:50 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Mauro Formica by Leon Britton. Paul Robinson takes the direct free kick.
- 14:12 The ball is swung over by David Hoilett.
- 13:43 Morten Gamst Pedersen takes a shot. Blocked by Garry Monk.
- 11:54 Unfair challenge on Mauro Formica by Neil Taylor results in a free kick. Morten Gamst Pedersen crosses the ball from the free kick left-footed from right channel.
- 11:13 Neil Taylor challenges Ruben Rochina unfairly and gives away a free kick. Morten Gamst Pedersen takes the free kick.
- 10:34 Centre by Scott Sinclair, Christopher Samba gets a block in.
- 8:54 Nathan Dyer delivers the ball.
- 7:27 Scott Sinclair produces a right-footed shot from the edge of the area and misses to the left of the target.
- 3:57 Centre by Morten Gamst Pedersen, save by Michel Vorm.
- 3:30 Free kick awarded for a foul by Joe Allen on Morten Gamst Pedersen. Paul Robinson restarts play with the free kick.
- 3:11 Nathan Dyer crosses the ball, clearance by Scott Dann.
- 2:45 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Scott Sinclair by Ruben Rochina. Joe Allen takes the free kick.
- 0:00 The referee gets the game started.
Live text and data provided by The Press Association.
Premier League results
Premier League table snapshot