Swansea 0 - 0 Aston Villa
Page last updated at 20:10 GMT, Sunday, 27 November 2011
Swansea and Aston Villa played out a sombre 0-0 draw as the game was overshadowed by the death of Wales manager Gary Speed.
Speed, who won 85 caps for Wales, was found dead at his Cheshire home on Sunday morning.
A pre-match minute of silence at the Liberty Stadium spontaneously gave way to respectful applause and chants of "there's only one Gary Speed".
Substitute Leroy Lita had the game's best two chances for the hosts.
He fired wide with only Shay Given to beat with 20 minutes left, before the Villa goalkeeper saved well with his legs from Lita's close-range effort in the closing stages.
But the game seemed of secondary importance on an emotional day in south Wales.
Swansea's Joe Allen, Neil Taylor and Ashley Williams - as well as Villa's James Collins - had represented Speed's Wales squad, while Given, who played alongside Speed during his spell at Newcastle, was in tears prior to kick-off.
Substitute Jermaine Jenas also knew Speed from his spell with the Magpies, and Swans midfielder Leon Britton was signed by Speed during his time as manager of Sheffield United.
There were questions as to whether the game would go ahead, but Swansea confirmed less than an hour before the scheduled start time that it would be played at 1330 GMT as planned.
KEY FACTSContinue reading the main story
- Swansea have now kept six clean sheets this season, the joint-highest number in the division with Manchester United. Swansea's Michel Vorm has had more shut-outs than any other goalkeeper (six), one more than Fulham's Mark Schwarzer
When it did begin, the Swans started brightly, mounting plenty of pressure on the visitors' goal. Scott Sinclair and Joe Allen both had efforts from the edge of the area blocked by a stubborn Villa defence.
But the away side soon settled and they forged a succession of chances, Gabriel Agbonlahor firing straight at Swansea goalkeeper Michel Vorm from 15 yards out, Richard Dunne heading over from close range and Agbonlahor sending another effort from the edge of the box just wide.
Agbonlahor's pace down Villa's right continued to cause problems for the hosts, who lost defender Angel Rangel midway through the first half.
And the away side felt they could have been awarded a penalty just prior to the interval when Emile Heskey appeared to head the ball against the arm of Williams in the Swansea box from Charles N'Zogbia's cross.
In the opening minutes of the second period, Fabian Delph's sweeping left-foot pass picked out the advancing Alan Hutton on the right-hand side and the Villa defender brought it down well on his chest before firing a right-foot volley just over the top.
The home team were dealt a blow soon after when in-form striker Danny Graham was forced off through injury, to be replaced by Lita.
Agbonlahor continued to be Villa's stand-out man as the game wore on, cutting in from the left before sending a fierce right-footed drive towards the top corner, which Vorm unconvincingly tipped just over the crossbar.
And Villa were beginning to boss proceedings with N'Zogbia, returning to the starting line-up in place of the injured Stiliyan Petrov, enjoying some space inside the Swans' half, and Delph, in for Carlos Cueller, grabbing the initiative for the visitors in the middle of the park.
But the hosts gradually came back in to it and they had the better chances to take all three points.
Lita was fed through by Mark Gower with 20 minutes left, turning Dunne before placing his side-foot effort just wide of Given's left-hand post from inside the box.
Shortly after, the ever-threatening Sinclair received the ball on the left and jinked beautifully past Alan Hutton before his goalbound shot was blocked by Collins.
Sinclair then fed Lita inside the area with 10 minutes to go, and the substitute got away from Dunne before his close-range effort was well saved by Given.
Swansea manager Brendan Rodgers:
"I thought it was a massive respect to both teams in terms of the performance level they put on for the spectators.
"We wanted to play the game today for Gary Speed - he was such a good player and a great football man.
"Overall our performance level was excellent; just the final pass and the final shot to score the goal was missing but I was really proud of how we passed the ball and some of our movement."
Aston Villa manager Alex McLeish:
"It was devastating news for the whole of football and certainly for Gary Speed's family.
"We did try to use it as part of the motivation to say 'go and put on a spectacle for Speedo'.
"We played a very good Swansea team - they keep the ball well, they pass it well and I felt we only got penetrated in the last 10 or 15 minutes."
Live text and stats
Sunday, 27 November 2011
|Home Team||Score||Away Team||Time|
- 01 Vorm
- 02 Williams
- 03 Taylor
- 16 Monk yellow card
- 22 Rangel (Richards 26 yellow card)
- 07 Britton
- 11 Sinclair yellow card
- 12 Dyer (Routledge 81)
- 24 Allen
- 27 Gower
- 10 Graham (Lita 53)
- 01 Given
- 02 Hutton yellow card
- 03 Warnock
- 05 Dunne yellow card
- 06 Collins yellow card
- 10 N'Zogbia
- 16 Delph yellow card (Bannan 79)
- 31 Herd
- 09 Bent
- 11 Agbonlahor
- 18 Heskey (Jenas 69)
- Swansea 55%
- Aston Villa 45%
Attempts on target
- Swansea 2
- Aston Villa 4
Attempts off target
- Swansea 4
- Aston Villa 5
- Swansea 4
- Aston Villa 6
- Swansea 9
- Aston Villa 17
- Final Result
- Full Time
- 90:00+3:24 The referee signals the end of the game.
- 90:00+2:24 Mark Gower takes the direct free kick.
- 90:00+2:24 Booking James Collins receives a caution.
- 90:00+2:16 Leroy Lita fouled by James Collins, the ref awards a free kick.
- 90:00+1:18 Unfair challenge on Ashley Richards by Charles N'Zogbia results in a free kick. Direct free kick taken by Ashley Richards.
- 90:00+0:16 Wayne Routledge sends in a cross, Richard Dunne makes a clearance.
- 88:30 Richard Dunne gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Wayne Routledge. Free kick taken by Garry Monk.
- 88:01 Barry Bannan takes a inswinging corner.
- 87:08 Free kick awarded for a foul by Scott Sinclair on Alan Hutton. Barry Bannan delivers the ball from the free kick left-footed from right wing, clearance by Mark Gower.
- 87:02 The ball is sent over by Gabriel Agbonlahor.
- 86:01 Corner taken left-footed by Barry Bannan from the right by-line, Headed effort from deep inside the penalty area by Chris Herd misses to the right of the target.
- 85:45 Gabriel Agbonlahor takes a shot. Leon Britton gets a block in.
- 83:27 The ball is sent over by Wayne Routledge, save made by Shay Given.
- 83:07 The ball is delivered by Ashley Richards, James Collins manages to make a clearance.
- 82:32 Alan Hutton sends in a cross, Ashley Williams makes a clearance.
- 82:24 Charles N'Zogbia delivers the ball, clearance made by Ashley Williams.
- 81:04 Mark Gower takes a inswinging corner from the left by-line to the near post, clearance by Chris Herd.
- 80:52 Substitution Wayne Routledge joins the action as a substitute, replacing Nathan Dyer.
- 80:30 Leroy Lita takes a shot. Save made by Shay Given.
- 79:16 Darren Bent is ruled offside. Indirect free kick taken by Michel Vorm.
- 78:06 Substitution Barry Bannan comes on in place of Fabian Delph.
- 74:33 Scott Sinclair takes a shot. James Collins gets a block in.
- 73:53 Mark Gower delivers the ball, save by Shay Given.
- 71:48 Effort from deep inside the area by Leroy Lita misses to the right of the target.
- 69:51 A cross is delivered by Alan Hutton.
- 68:30 Substitution Jermaine Jenas comes on in place of Emile Heskey.
- 67:40 Emile Heskey crosses the ball, save made by Michel Vorm.
- 66:11 Direct free kick taken by Stephen Warnock.
- 66:11 Booking The referee books Garry Monk for unsporting behaviour.
- 66:05 Garry Monk concedes a free kick for a foul on Darren Bent.
- 63:08 Effort from outside the box by Joe Allen goes wide right of the target.
- 62:40 The ball is crossed by Stephen Warnock, clearance made by Leon Britton.
- 62:04 A cross is delivered by Charles N'Zogbia.
- 59:24 The ball is delivered by Gabriel Agbonlahor, save by Michel Vorm.
- 59:02 Centre by Chris Herd, Stephen Warnock challenges Nathan Dyer unfairly and gives away a free kick. Michel Vorm takes the free kick.
- 58:36 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Leroy Lita by Chris Herd. Ashley Williams takes the direct free kick.
- 57:55 The assistant referee signals for offside against Darren Bent. Indirect free kick taken by Michel Vorm.
- 57:29 Leroy Lita challenges James Collins unfairly and gives away a free kick. Free kick taken by Richard Dunne.
- 56:15 Corner taken right-footed by Charles N'Zogbia, Unfair challenge on Garry Monk by James Collins results in a free kick. Free kick taken by Michel Vorm.
- 55:52 Gabriel Agbonlahor takes a shot. Save by Michel Vorm.
- 52:51 Substitution Leroy Lita joins the action as a substitute, replacing Danny Graham.
- 49:59 Effort on goal by Alan Hutton from just inside the box goes harmlessly over the target.
- 46:10 Foul by Chris Herd on Mark Gower, free kick awarded. Direct free kick taken by Mark Gower.
- 45:01 The referee gets the second half started.
- Half Time
- 45:00+2:59 The whistle is blown to end the first half.
- 45:00+1:40 A cross is delivered by Ashley Richards, clearance by Alan Hutton.
- 43:32 Centre by Charles N'Zogbia, Emile Heskey has a headed effort at goal from just inside the penalty area that misses to the left of the goal.
- 42:26 Shot from just outside the box by Darren Bent goes over the bar.
- 41:21 Stephen Warnock takes the free kick.
- 41:21 Booking Ashley Richards goes into the referee's book for unsporting behaviour.
- 41:04 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Fabian Delph by Ashley Richards.
- 40:26 Foul by Chris Herd on Scott Sinclair, free kick awarded. Direct free kick taken by Mark Gower.
- 39:35 Fabian Delph concedes a free kick for a foul on Nathan Dyer. Mark Gower takes the direct free kick.
- 38:23 Outswinging corner taken by Mark Gower from the right by-line, clearance made by James Collins.
- 38:05 Inswinging corner taken by Mark Gower, clearance by Richard Dunne.
- 36:46 Direct free kick taken by Mark Gower.
- 36:46 Booking Richard Dunne goes into the referee's book.
- 36:38 Richard Dunne gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Danny Graham.
- 33:22 The assistant referee signals for offside against Emile Heskey. Michel Vorm takes the free kick.
- 33:01 The ball is swung over by Gabriel Agbonlahor, Garry Monk makes a clearance.
- 30:39 Joe Allen concedes a free kick for a foul on Chris Herd. Alan Hutton takes the free kick.
- 29:36 Richard Dunne concedes a free kick for a foul on Scott Sinclair. Leon Britton takes the free kick.
- 28:02 Centre by Stephen Warnock.
- 25:37 Direct free kick taken by Shay Given.
- 25:37 Substitution Ashley Richards replaces Angel Rangel.
- 25:37 Nathan Dyer gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Stephen Warnock.
- 25:08 The ball is sent over by Mark Gower, clearance by Richard Dunne.
- 24:59 The ball is sent over by Neil Taylor, Alan Hutton makes a clearance.
- 23:55 The ball is sent over by Neil Taylor.
- 23:35 Fabian Delph delivers the ball, clearance by Mark Gower.
- 23:17 Corner taken by Fabian Delph played to the near post, clearance by Mark Gower.
- 23:02 Gabriel Agbonlahor takes a shot. Garry Monk gets a block in.
- 21:39 Shot from just outside the penalty area by Scott Sinclair misses to the left of the target.
- 21:28 Charles N'Zogbia concedes a free kick for a foul on Joe Allen. Leon Britton restarts play with the free kick.
- 20:20 Corner taken left-footed by Fabian Delph to the near post, Richard Dunne produces a header from deep inside the six-yard box that clears the bar.
- 20:06 Stephen Warnock produces a cross, clearance made by Neil Taylor.
- 18:00 Gabriel Agbonlahor takes a shot. Save by Michel Vorm.
- 17:40 A cross is delivered by Neil Taylor, James Collins makes a clearance.
- 13:28 Mark Gower restarts play with the free kick.
- 13:28 Booking Booking for Alan Hutton for unsporting behaviour.
- 13:24 Foul by Alan Hutton on Neil Taylor, free kick awarded.
- 12:22 Outswinging corner taken left-footed by Fabian Delph from the left by-line, clearance by Ashley Williams.
- 12:16 Centre by Alan Hutton, Garry Monk manages to make a clearance.
- 12:08 Stephen Warnock produces a cross, Neil Taylor manages to make a clearance.
- 10:32 Outswinging corner taken by Mark Gower from the right by-line played to the near post, clearance by Gabriel Agbonlahor.
- 10:17 Centre by Nathan Dyer, Richard Dunne makes a clearance.
- 9:15 Danny Graham gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Fabian Delph. Chris Herd takes the free kick.
- 7:34 Free kick taken by Shay Given.
- 7:34 Booking Scott Sinclair receives a caution for unsporting behaviour.
- 7:21 Scott Sinclair concedes a free kick for a foul on Chris Herd.
- 6:55 Joe Allen takes a shot. Blocked by James Collins.
- 6:43 The ball is delivered by Neil Taylor.
- 5:28 Stephen Warnock gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Nathan Dyer. Nathan Dyer takes the direct free kick.
- 5:05 Free kick awarded for a foul by Emile Heskey on Angel Rangel. Michel Vorm takes the direct free kick.
- 4:55 Alan Hutton sends in a cross.
- 3:58 Joe Allen delivers the ball.
- 3:19 Unfair challenge on Nathan Dyer by Stephen Warnock results in a free kick. Free kick taken by Mark Gower.
- 2:56 Foul by Mark Gower on Chris Herd, free kick awarded. Free kick taken by James Collins.
- 2:05 Garry Monk restarts play with the free kick.
- 2:05 Booking Fabian Delph shown a yellow card.
- 1:57 Leon Britton fouled by Fabian Delph, the ref awards a free kick.
- 0:00 The ref blows the whistle to start the match.
Live text and data provided by The Press Association.
Premier League table snapshot