Fulham 1 - 3 Tottenham
Page last updated at 18:37 GMT, Sunday, 6 November 2011
Tottenham Hotspur overcame the absence of manager Harry Redknapp to seal a seventh win in eight league games.
Redknapp was missing as he recovered at home after undergoing heart surgery.
Gareth Bale was credited with the first goal after his powerful shot deflected off Chris Baird before Aaron Lennon's clinical finish doubled the advantage.
An own goal by Younes Kaboul, after Ledley King headed against his back, set up a grandstand finish but Jermain Defoe secured victory in stoppage time.
Redknapp's health will not exactly have been helped by a number of goalmouth scrambles in front of Brad Friedel's goal in the closing stages, but Defoe's clinical finish with virtually the last kick of the game made it a good day for the north London outfit, who moved level on points with Chelsea in the Premier League table.
Having scored 17 times in their previous seven league games, Tottenham have found goals easy to come by this season and they took the lead with their first noteworthy attack in the 10th minute.
Kyle Walker's burst down the right ended with a lay-off to Lennon, and his cross was pushed by Mark Schwarzer into the path of Bale.
The Wales international's powerful effort from an angle struck Baird, who could do little about stopping the ball cannoning off him into the net.
Fulham are now just one point above the relegation zone but it was a cruel scoreline for Jol's team.
FAST FACTContinue reading the main story
- Tottenham have suffered only three league defeats since April of this year - all three against the two Manchester clubs.
At the other end Friedel had to be at his best to keep out efforts from John Arne Riise and Clint Dempsey.
Tottenham's hard-earned win was summed up by Scott Parker, who battled on after being caught by what appeared to be an accidental Steve Sidwell elbow in the 20th minute.
England boss Fabio Capello looked on concerned as England international Parker received lengthy treatment for a nose wound, but he was able to carry on.
Capello, however, will have been impressed with Lennon's finish on the stroke of half-time which put Spurs in command.
The winger, who has not played for England since the 2010 World Cup, exchanged passes with Bale and burst down the left before cutting inside the area, wrong footing Baird and firing across Schwarzer.
Fulham were not helped by the loss of Zdenik Grygera, who was given oxygen as he left the pitch on a stretcher with what appeared to be a serious knee injury.
But Jol's side showed spirit in the second half with Friedel producing a one-handed stop to keep out Brede Hangeland's 52nd-minute header before Kaboul's own goal gave the home side hope.
Kaboul was helpless as King's headed clearance from a corner cannoned off his team-mate and over the line in the 57th minute.
Fulham piled on the pressure in the closing stages.
In a chaotic goalmouth scramble, Kyle Walker appeared to handle the ball inside his own area while man-of-the-match Friedel again produced an excellent one-handed stop to deny Moussa Dembele.
In addition, Luka Modric making a clearance off the line to deny Dempsey.
Tottenham scored their third deep into stoppage time as substitute Defoe fired home low via a slight deflection from Emmanuel Adebayor's cut-back to wrap up the points.
Fulham's former Tottenham manager Martin Jol:
"I thought we deserved at least a point. Tottenham had three attempts on goal in the first half and scored two goals.
"We must have had 26 or 30 attempts after half-time. He (Friedel) was probably the best player on the pitch, but if you don't score then you have a problem.
"Of course I heard the applause from the Tottenham fans. But I don't want to make a meal of it. I'm happy here."
Tottenham winger Gareth Bale:
"It's always nice to score and keep the run going. I am claiming the goal. I've seen it a few times and it's definitely my goal.
"We knew how hard it was going to be. Fulham played very well and put us under the cosh, but we showed our character.
"In recent years we would have conceded more in the second half, but we have belief in ourselves."
Live text and stats
Sunday, 6 November 2011
|Home Team||Score||Away Team||Time|
- 01 Schwarzer
- 03 JA Riise
- 05 Hangeland
- 06 Baird
- 26 Grygera (Kelly 46)
- 04 Sidwell
- 13 Murphy (Etuhu 76)
- 16 Duff (Ruiz 71)
- 23 Dempsey
- 25 Zamora
- 30 Dembele
- 24 Friedel
- 03 Bale
- 04 Kaboul yellow card
- 26 King
- 28 Walker
- 32 Assou-Ekotto
- 07 Lennon (Sandro 78)
- 08 Parker
- 11 Van der Vaart (Defoe 66)
- 14 Modric
- 10 Adebayor
- Fulham 53%
- Tottenham 47%
Attempts on target
- Fulham 20
- Tottenham 8
Attempts off target
- Fulham 6
- Tottenham 0
- Fulham 11
- Tottenham 1
- Fulham 5
- Tottenham 9
- Final Result
- Full Time
- 90:00+5:12 The game is over, as the referee blows his whistle.
- 90:00+4:14 Emmanuel Adebayor provided the assist for the goal.
- 90:00+4:14 GOAL - Jermain Defoe:Fulham 1 - 3 Tottenham Jermain Defoe scores a goal from deep inside the penalty area to the bottom left corner of the goal. Fulham 1-3 Tottenham.
- 90:00+2:57 Clint Dempsey takes a shot. Blocked by Luka Modric. Corner from right by-line taken by Bryan Ruiz.
- 90:00+2:34 Bryan Ruiz takes the outswinging corner, Brede Hangeland takes a shot. Save by Brad Friedel.
- 90:00+2:24 Stephen Kelly takes a shot. Blocked by Younes Kaboul.
- 90:00+1:59 Clint Dempsey takes a shot. Save by Brad Friedel.
- 90:00+0:26 Dickson Etuhu concedes a free kick for a foul on Scott Parker. Brad Friedel takes the direct free kick.
- 88:51 Free kick awarded for a foul by Luka Modric on Moussa Dembele. Free kick crossed left-footed by Bryan Ruiz.
- 86:33 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Bryan Ruiz by Kyle Walker. Direct free kick taken by Brede Hangeland.
- 84:58 Unfair challenge on Stephen Kelly by Benoit Assou-Ekotto results in a free kick. Free kick crossed by Bryan Ruiz, Scott Parker manages to make a clearance.
- 83:37 Moussa Dembele produces a left-footed shot from outside the penalty box and misses left.
- 82:40 Stephen Kelly crosses the ball.
- 81:43 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Ledley King by Bobby Zamora. Free kick taken by Brad Friedel.
- 81:06 Bobby Zamora takes a shot. Brad Friedel makes a save.
- 78:26 The ball is crossed by Chris Baird, Clint Dempsey takes a shot. Save by Brad Friedel.
- 77:09 Substitution Raniere Sandro replaces Aaron Lennon.
- 75:56 Substitution Danny Murphy goes off and Dickson Etuhu comes on.
- 75:25 Bryan Ruiz concedes a free kick for a foul on Ledley King. Brad Friedel restarts play with the free kick.
- 74:54 Bryan Ruiz takes a shot.
- 74:44 John Arne Riise takes a shot. Younes Kaboul gets a block in.
- 74:19 Bryan Ruiz takes a inswinging corner.
- 74:02 Clint Dempsey takes a shot. Blocked by Ledley King.
- 72:04 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Bryan Ruiz by Luka Modric. Danny Murphy crosses the ball from the free kick right-footed from right channel, clearance made by Kyle Walker.
- 70:21 Substitution Bryan Ruiz on for Damien Duff.
- 70:07 Moussa Dembele produces a left-footed shot from just outside the box that goes wide right of the target.
- 68:14 Danny Murphy takes the free kick. Chris Baird takes a shot. Brad Friedel makes a save.
- 68:14 Booking Booking for Younes Kaboul for dissent.
- 68:09 Handball decision goes against Younes Kaboul.
- 65:45 Substitution Jermain Defoe on for Rafael Van der Vaart.
- 64:40 Rafael Van der Vaart is penalised for a handball. The free kick is delivered right-footed by Danny Murphy from right channel.
- 62:35 Luka Modric takes a shot. Brede Hangeland gets a block in.
- 60:08 Moussa Dembele takes a shot. Save by Brad Friedel.
- 58:40 Bobby Zamora takes a shot. Blocked by Benoit Assou-Ekotto. John Arne Riise has an effort at goal from just inside the box that misses to the left of the goal.
- 57:50 Moussa Dembele takes a shot. Save made by Brad Friedel.
- 56:05 Assist by Damien Duff.
- 56:05 GOAL - Younes Kaboul:Fulham 1 - 2 Tottenham Younes Kaboul puts the ball into his own net from 6 yards. Fulham 1-2 Tottenham.
- 55:43 Clint Dempsey takes a shot. Blocked by Scott Parker. Corner from right by-line taken by Damien Duff.
- 53:25 Inswinging corner taken left-footed by Damien Duff from the right by-line, clearance by Emmanuel Adebayor.
- 52:27 Corner taken left-footed by Damien Duff, clearance by Scott Parker.
- 51:49 Damien Duff takes a shot. Benoit Assou-Ekotto gets a block in. Damien Duff takes the outswinging corner, Brede Hangeland takes a shot. Save by Brad Friedel.
- 49:18 Corner from right by-line taken by Damien Duff.
- 48:33 Shot by Emmanuel Adebayor. Comfortable save by Mark Schwarzer.
- 47:23 Bobby Zamora produces a cross.
- 47:01 Gareth Bale takes a shot. Comfortable save by Mark Schwarzer.
- 46:42 Bobby Zamora delivers the ball, clearance made by Younes Kaboul.
- 45:01 The referee gets the second half underway.
- 45:01 Substitution Stephen Kelly joins the action as a substitute, replacing Zdenek Grygera.
- Half Time
- 45:00+7:39 The players leave the pitch at half time.
- 45:00+1:10 The ball is swung over by Bobby Zamora, clearance made by Younes Kaboul.
- 45:00+0:06 Assist by Gareth Bale.
- 45:00+0:06 GOAL - Aaron Lennon:Fulham 0 - 2 Tottenham Aaron Lennon scores a goal from inside the six-yard box to the bottom right corner of the goal. Fulham 0-2 Tottenham.
- 40:35 Ledley King challenges Clint Dempsey unfairly and gives away a free kick. Bobby Zamora has an effort direct from the free kick.
- 40:17 Damien Duff fouled by Benoit Assou-Ekotto, the ref awards a free kick. Chris Baird takes the free kick.
- 38:25 The ball is delivered by Damien Duff, clearance by Younes Kaboul.
- 37:55 Aaron Lennon produces a curled right-footed shot from 20 yards. Steve Sidwell gets a block in.
- 37:09 Damien Duff delivers the ball, Ledley King makes a clearance.
- 36:29 Clint Dempsey takes a shot. Brad Friedel makes a save.
- 35:50 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Moussa Dembele by Kyle Walker. Danny Murphy crosses the ball in from the free kick, Emmanuel Adebayor makes a clearance.
- 34:53 The ball is sent over by Damien Duff, Younes Kaboul makes a clearance.
- 34:06 Free kick awarded for a foul by Rafael Van der Vaart on Steve Sidwell. Chris Baird takes the free kick.
- 33:45 Benoit Assou-Ekotto sends in a cross.
- 31:42 Moussa Dembele challenges Luka Modric unfairly and gives away a free kick. Luka Modric takes the direct free kick. Rafael Van der Vaart takes a shot. Gareth Bale gets a block in.
- 31:19 A cross is delivered by Aaron Lennon, save made by Mark Schwarzer.
- 28:57 John Arne Riise delivers the ball.
- 28:23 Brede Hangeland fouled by Rafael Van der Vaart, the ref awards a free kick. Danny Murphy takes the free kick.
- 23:49 Clint Dempsey concedes a free kick for a foul on Benoit Assou-Ekotto. Brad Friedel takes the free kick.
- 22:58 Clint Dempsey takes a shot. Save by Brad Friedel. Corner from the left by-line taken by Damien Duff, Kyle Walker makes a clearance.
- 14:02 Shot from just outside the box by John Arne Riise goes over the bar.
- 13:45 Corner taken short by Damien Duff.
- 13:33 The ball is swung over by John Arne Riise, save by Brad Friedel.
- 12:17 Clint Dempsey takes a shot. Ledley King gets a block in.
- Correction - 9:48 Aaron Lennon provided the assist for the goal.
- Correction - 9:48 GOAL - Gareth Bale:Fulham 0 - 1 Tottenham A goal is scored by Gareth Bale from close in to the bottom left corner of the goal. Fulham 0-1 Tottenham.
- 9:48 Gareth Bale provided the assist for the goal.
- 9:48 GOAL - Chris Baird:Fulham 0 - 1 Tottenham Chris Baird puts the ball into his own goal from 6 yards. Fulham 0-1 Tottenham.
- 9:46 Gareth Bale takes a shot.
- 8:36 The ball is crossed by Steve Sidwell, Brad Friedel makes a save.
- 5:14 Corner taken by Rafael Van der Vaart, Mark Schwarzer makes a save.
- 4:03 Emmanuel Adebayor is caught offside. Indirect free kick taken by Mark Schwarzer.
- 1:54 The official flags Clint Dempsey offside. Brad Friedel takes the indirect free kick.
- 1:20 John Arne Riise takes a shot. Blocked by Younes Kaboul. Inswinging corner taken right-footed by Danny Murphy from the left by-line to the near post, Steve Sidwell takes a shot. Save by Brad Friedel.
- 0:00 The ref blows the whistle to start the match.
Live text and data provided by The Press Association.
Premier League table snapshot