Newcastle 2 - 1 Everton
Page last updated at 15:21 GMT, Saturday, 5 November 2011
Newcastle continued their unbeaten start to the season as Ryan Taylor's stunning goal saw off Everton.
Everton defender Johnny Heitinga turned in Danny Simpson's inviting low cross before Taylor doubled the lead when he crashed in a 25-yard shot.
Jack Rodwell headed in a corner to give Everton hope and the visitors should have been given a second-half penalty when Dan Gosling handballed.
AnalysisContinue reading the main story
Newcastle have shown two sides of their game today. They dominated the game in the first 45 minutes and they scored the goals. In the second half they sat back and defended very well. Like all good teams do, they saw the game out defensively
But Alan Pardew's side closed out a win which keeps them third in the table.
Newcastle are now undefeated in the league since a 3-0 loss at Liverpool in May - a run of 14 games - but face a tough test of their ambitions in their next three fixtures.
Pardew takes his side to Manchester City and Manchester United on successive Saturdays after the international break, with Chelsea visiting St James' Park the following week.
But the Newcastle manager will have been concerned at the sight of influential midfielder Yohan Cabaye limping off with a groin injury.
Midfielder Danny Guthrie had the first effort on goal after a corner had not been cleared before Everton had a chance to open the scoring.
Seamus Coleman dragged his shot wide after Louis Saha had flicked on a Royston Drenthe cross from the left.
It proved to be a costly miss as Heitinga inadvertently put Newcastle ahead moments later.
Simpson's cross from the right was dangerous and Heitinga could only turn the ball past Tim Howard with Leon Best lurking just behind.
Drenthe created two quick chances for Everton but Rodwell and Leon Osman both had efforts saved by Tim Krul before Saha got in behind a faltering offside trap but lacked composure and blazed over.
Taylor then opened up a two-goal cushion in spectacular fashion.
Rodwell headed a long throw clear to Taylor 25 yards from goal and the full-back chested the ball down and smashed in a shot which arched over Howard before hitting the underside of the crossbar and bouncing in.
Saha hit the post and Taylor saw a cross strike the crossbar before Cabaye limped off to be replaced by former Everton midfielder Gosling.
Rodwell then brought the half to an end when he headed in Drenthe's corner at the near post.
FAST FACTContinue reading the main story
- The only previous occasion that Newcastle went undefeated in their opening 11 Premier League games was in 1994-95
Everton started the second period strongly and should have had a penalty when Saha's shot was blocked by Gosling's arm.
James McFadden came on for his first appearance for Everton since January 2008 as David Moyes' side had plenty of late pressure but Newcastle comfortably held on for the three points.
Newcastle manager Alan Pardew:
"We were unfortunate today as injuries cost us our rhythm but the guys who came on did a great job.
"If we were at Goodison Park we would have got beat today. But the fans helped us.
"Our defending was a different class in the second half and it was one of our best displays. When Everton scored just before half-time it affected us but our discipline and defending has got us a victory.
"I hope the Toon enjoy it tonight. We are a new team, we didn't expect to be on this run but we are enjoying it. We've got Manchester City next, who are also unbeaten, so that could be a great game."
Everton manager David Moyes:
"It was a penalty we didn't get today but we've had a lot of that.
"We were very fortunate against Fulham the other week and you earn your luck.
"Our defending in the first half wasn't good enough, especially in the opening 20 minutes. It was a terrible own goal to concede.
"We created enough chances in the first half to get something from the game.
"We've got to do better and win some football games."
Live text and stats
Saturday, 5 November 2011
|Home Team||Score||Away Team||Time|
- 26 Krul
- 02 Coloccini
- 05 Simpson
- 16 R Taylor yellow card
- 27 S Taylor
- 04 Cabaye (Gosling 37)
- 08 Guthrie yellow card
- 18 Gutierrez
- 22 Marveaux (Sa Ameobi 54)
- 19 Ba
- 20 Best (Ben Arfa 73)
- 24 Howard
- 02 Hibbert (McFadden 81)
- 03 Baines yellow card
- 05 Heitinga yellow card (Cahill 56)
- 06 Jagielka
- 18 Neville (Distin 41)
- 23 Coleman
- 10 Drenthe yellow card
- 21 Osman
- 26 Rodwell
- 08 Saha
- Newcastle 45%
- Everton 55%
Attempts on target
- Newcastle 6
- Everton 6
Attempts off target
- Newcastle 4
- Everton 8
- Newcastle 5
- Everton 3
- Newcastle 12
- Everton 15
- Final Result
- Full Time
- 90:00+4:08 The final whistle is blown by the referee.
- 90:00+3:20 Fabricio Coloccini fouled by Tim Cahill, the ref awards a free kick. Free kick taken by Tim Krul.
- 90:00+1:21 Corner taken short by Hatem Ben Arfa.
- 90:00+0:02 Unfair challenge on Danny Guthrie by Tim Cahill results in a free kick. Tim Krul restarts play with the free kick.
- 88:07 Foul by Leon Osman on Ryan Taylor, free kick awarded. Free kick taken by Ryan Taylor.
- 86:36 Effort from outside the box by Louis Saha goes wide right of the target.
- 86:02 The ball is sent over by James McFadden.
- 85:17 Inswinging corner taken from the left by-line by Leon Osman.
- 84:57 Foul by Danny Guthrie on Royston Drenthe, free kick awarded. Royston Drenthe restarts play with the free kick.
- 84:24 Dan Gosling challenges Jack Rodwell unfairly and gives away a free kick. Direct free kick taken by Leighton Baines.
- 82:50 Free kick taken by Tim Krul.
- 82:50 Booking Royston Drenthe receives a caution for unsporting behaviour.
- 82:35 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Hatem Ben Arfa by Royston Drenthe.
- 81:53 Phil Jagielka takes the free kick.
- 81:53 Booking Ryan Taylor receives a caution for unsporting behaviour.
- 81:48 Ryan Taylor is adjudged to have handled the ball.
- 80:30 Free kick taken by Leighton Baines.
- 80:30 Substitution James McFadden replaces Tony Hibbert.
- 80:30 Demba Ba is penalised for a handball.
- 79:52 Jack Rodwell is caught offside. Tim Krul takes the indirect free kick.
- 78:09 Free kick crossed by Leighton Baines, clearance made by Danny Guthrie.
- 78:09 Booking The referee books Danny Guthrie for unsporting behaviour.
- 78:04 Foul by Danny Guthrie on Leighton Baines, free kick awarded.
- 76:26 Phil Jagielka delivers the ball.
- 74:48 Unfair challenge on Leon Osman by Ryan Taylor results in a free kick. Phil Jagielka takes the free kick.
- 74:28 The ball is crossed by Sammy Ameobi, Sylvain Distin makes a clearance.
- 72:51 Free kick awarded for a foul by Sammy Ameobi on Tony Hibbert. Free kick crossed left-footed by Royston Drenthe from right wing.
- 72:01 Substitution Leon Best goes off and Hatem Ben Arfa comes on.
- 69:57 Unfair challenge on Leighton Baines by Leon Best results in a free kick. Direct free kick taken by Sylvain Distin.
- 69:08 Effort from the edge of the area by Leon Osman goes wide of the right-hand upright.
- 68:46 Shot by Demba Ba from 20 yards. Comfortable save by Tim Howard.
- 67:27 Jonas Gutierrez fouled by Seamus Coleman, the ref awards a free kick. Ryan Taylor takes the free kick.
- 67:18 Danny Guthrie delivers the ball, clearance by Jack Rodwell.
- 65:52 Outswinging corner taken right-footed by Danny Guthrie, clearance made by Sylvain Distin.
- 64:33 Tim Krul takes the direct free kick.
- 64:33 Booking Caution for Leighton Baines.
- 64:27 Leighton Baines challenges Danny Simpson unfairly and gives away a free kick.
- 63:30 Leon Best gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Sylvain Distin. Phil Jagielka takes the direct free kick.
- 61:28 Jonas Gutierrez concedes a free kick for a foul on Leon Osman. Free kick crossed left-footed by Leighton Baines.
- 60:50 Effort on goal by Sammy Ameobi from just inside the area clears the crossbar.
- 60:17 Outswinging corner taken from the right by-line by Danny Guthrie.
- 59:44 Tim Cahill has an effort at goal. Save made by Tim Krul.
- 58:46 Sammy Ameobi is caught offside. Tim Howard restarts play with the free kick.
- 58:04 Royston Drenthe concedes a free kick for a foul on Ryan Taylor. Free kick taken by Ryan Taylor.
- 56:12 Free kick awarded for a foul by Sylvain Distin on Leon Best. Danny Simpson takes the direct free kick.
- 55:14 Substitution (Everton) makes a substitution, with Tim Cahill coming on for Johnny Heitinga.
- 53:41 Inswinging corner taken by Royston Drenthe.
- 53:34 Substitution (Newcastle) makes a substitution, with Sammy Ameobi coming on for Sylvain Marveaux.
- 53:04 The ball is delivered by Phil Jagielka, Shot from 20 yards by Louis Saha. Blocked by Steven Taylor.
- 50:25 Ryan Taylor shoots direct from the free kick, comfortable save by Tim Howard.
- 50:25 Booking Johnny Heitinga goes into the book.
- 50:19 Free kick awarded for a foul by Johnny Heitinga on Sylvain Marveaux.
- 49:06 Danny Guthrie takes a shot from just outside the penalty area clears the crossbar.
- 47:44 Jonas Gutierrez sends in a cross, clearance by Jack Rodwell.
- 45:32 Phil Jagielka crosses the ball.
- 45:01 The game restarts for the second half.
- Half Time
- 45:00+2:33 The ref blows to end the first period.
- 45:00+1:33 Assist on the goal came from Royston Drenthe.
- 45:00+1:33 GOAL - Jack Rodwell:Newcastle 2 - 1 Everton Jack Rodwell finds the back of the net with a headed goal from deep inside the penalty box. Newcastle 2-1 Everton.
- 45:00+1:15 Corner taken left-footed by Royston Drenthe from the right by-line,
- 45:00+0:59 Tony Hibbert produces a cross, blocked by Jonas Gutierrez.
- 44:42 Shot by Danny Guthrie. Blocked by Johnny Heitinga.
- 44:35 The ball is delivered by Sylvain Marveaux.
- 43:28 Sylvain Distin gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Leon Best. Free kick crossed by Ryan Taylor, save made by Tim Howard.
- 41:05 Free kick awarded for a foul by Royston Drenthe on Jonas Gutierrez. Ryan Taylor has a direct shot on goal from the free kick.
- 40:35 Outswinging corner taken by Danny Guthrie from the right by-line, Phil Jagielka manages to make a clearance.
- 40:24 Substitution Sylvain Distin comes on in place of Phil Neville.
- 36:43 Substitution Dan Gosling on for Yohan Cabaye.
- 36:23 Sylvain Marveaux crosses the ball.
- 35:35 Royston Drenthe is ruled offside. Free kick taken by Tim Krul.
- 35:06 Phil Neville sends in a cross, clearance by Steven Taylor.
- 32:55 The ball is delivered by Ryan Taylor.
- 32:05 Foul by Leon Best on Phil Neville, free kick awarded. Free kick taken by Phil Neville.
- 31:46 Effort from deep inside the area by Royston Drenthe misses to the left of the target.
- 31:36 Louis Saha produces a drilled right-footed shot from deep inside the area and strikes the post.
- Correction - 31:25 Shot from 18 yards by Phil Neville. Fabricio Coloccini gets a block in.
- 31:25 Shot by Phil Neville. Fabricio Coloccini gets a block in.
- 28:07 Assist on the goal came from Demba Ba.
- 28:07 GOAL - Ryan Taylor:Newcastle 2 - 0 Everton Ryan Taylor grabs a goal from outside the area to the top right corner of the goal. Newcastle 2-0 Everton.
- 26:14 Seamus Coleman gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Demba Ba. Free kick crossed left-footed by Sylvain Marveaux, save by Tim Howard.
- 25:22 Louis Saha produces a left-footed shot from just outside the penalty box that misses to the left of the target.
- 25:13 Shot by Royston Drenthe. Blocked by Steven Taylor.
- 23:58 Effort on goal by Louis Saha from just inside the box goes harmlessly over the target.
- 23:35 Demba Ba has an effort at goal from just inside the box that misses to the right of the target.
- 23:18 Leon Osman takes a shot from 18 yards. Comfortable save by Tim Krul.
- 22:44 Jack Rodwell takes a shot. Tim Krul makes a save.
- 21:08 Leon Best concedes a free kick for a foul on Phil Neville. Free kick taken by Johnny Heitinga.
- 20:41 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Sylvain Marveaux by Leighton Baines. Tim Krul takes the free kick.
- 19:49 Handball by Leon Best. Free kick taken by Tim Howard.
- Correction - 18:35 The offside flag is raised against Tony Hibbert. Tim Krul takes the indirect free kick.
- 18:35 The referee blows for offside. Tim Krul takes the indirect free kick.
- 18:23 The ball is delivered by Tony Hibbert, Fabricio Coloccini makes a clearance.
- 16:47 Leon Best fouled by Johnny Heitinga, the ref awards a free kick. Yohan Cabaye takes the free kick.
- 15:18 Steven Taylor gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Jack Rodwell. Tony Hibbert takes the free kick.
- 14:24 Danny Simpson sends in a cross, clearance by Phil Jagielka.
- 12:16 The assistant referee signals for offside against Louis Saha. Indirect free kick taken by Tim Krul.
- 11:09 The assist for the goal came from Danny Simpson.
- 11:09 GOAL - Johnny Heitinga:Newcastle 1 - 0 Everton An own goal is scored by Johnny Heitinga. Newcastle 1-0 Everton.
- 8:17 Unfair challenge on Danny Simpson by Royston Drenthe results in a free kick. Free kick taken by Ryan Taylor.
- 7:42 Seamus Coleman produces a right-footed shot from the edge of the area and misses to the left of the goal.
- 7:00 Unfair challenge on Royston Drenthe by Danny Simpson results in a free kick. Direct free kick taken by Johnny Heitinga.
- 6:49 Danny Guthrie takes a shot. Comfortable save by Tim Howard.
- 6:25 Ryan Taylor takes the chance to get an effort at goal.
- 6:07 Short corner taken by Yohan Cabaye from the right by-line.
- 2:29 The official flags Leon Best offside. Johnny Heitinga takes the free kick.
- 0:00 The match gets underway.
Live text and data provided by The Press Association.
Premier League results
Premier League table snapshot