Scotland Wales Northern Ireland

You are in: You are in: Football: Eng Prem  
Front Page 
FA Cup 
Eng Prem 
World Cup 2002 
Champions League 
Uefa Cup 
Worthington Cup 
Eng Div 1 
Eng Div 2 
Eng Div 3 
Eng Conf 
Scot Prem 
Scottish Cup 
CIS Ins Cup 
Scot Div 1 
Scot Div 2 
Scot Div 3 
League of Wales 
Rugby Union 
Rugby League 
Other Sports 
Sports Talk 
In Depth 
Photo Galleries 
TV & Radio 
BBC Pundits 
Question of Sport 
Funny Old Game 

Around The Uk

BBC News

BBC Weather

Saturday, 15 September, 2001, 16:19 GMT 17:19 UK
Arsenal dash Fulham hopes
Freddie Ljungberg scores for Arsenal against Fulham
Ljungberg opened the scoring after 17 minutes
Fulham 1-3 Arsenal

Thierry Henry scored the winner as Arsenal beat Fulham in the London derby and moved to the top of the Premiership.

The Frenchman, who learned his trade under Fulham manager Jean Tigana at Monaco, struck with a right-footed shot nine minutes from time to claim the points for the Gunners.

Freddie Ljungberg had put Arsenal ahead in the first half before Steed Malbranque levelled straight after the break.

Dennis Bergkamp administered the coup de grace with an injury time goal.

17 mins: Ljungberg gives Arsenal the lead
48 mins: Malbranque equalises for Fulham
82 mins: Henry puts Arsenal in front again
90 mins: Bergkamp seals victory four mintues into injury time

Arsenal were in control in the first half and had a hatful of chances after Ljungberg's opener.

That goal came after 17 minutes when the Swede drove home after the Fulham defence had failed to clear.

We want to stay at the top of the table and I believe we have the potential to do that
Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger

Henry's effort from 25 yards was spilled by Fulham goalkeeper Edwin van der Sar but the Dutchman bravely prevented Francis Jeffers marking his first start with a goal from the rebound.

Another Henry long-range shot was then brilliantly tipped over by the Fulham keeper.

Jeffers raced onto a low centre from Henry but the ball grazed the former Everton player's studs and went wide.

Just before half-time, Ray Parlour burst through the Fulham defence but with options available he went for glory and blasted wide.

Fulham v Arsenal
The match was a keenly contested affair

Arsenal came out cold for the second half and Fulham took advantage by levelling within three minutes.

Some clever work by Luis Boa Morte allowed Malbranque to drive the ball into the roof of the net for his first goal for Fulham.

Fulham kept the pressure on and Sylvain Legwinski saw his header from John Collins' cross scrambled out by David Seaman.

We gave Arsenal too much respect in the first half
Fulham captain Andy Melville

Arsenal then began to get back into the game, and after 81 minutes Ljungberg's precise pass put Henry through and the Frenchman slotted the ball home.

Bergkamp made sure of victory when he rammed Sylvain Wiltord's pass into the top of the net in injury time.

Fulham: Van der Sar, Finnan, Brevett, Melville, Symons, Collins, Malbranque, Davis, Legwinski, Saha, Boa Morte. Subs: Taylor, Clark, Marlet, Hayles, Ouaddou.

Arsenal: Seaman, Lauren, Keown, Campbell, Cole, Parlour, Vieira, Pires, Ljungberg, Jeffers, Henry. Subs: Bergkamp, Wiltord, van Bronckhorst, Grimandi, Wright.

Referee: A Wiley (Burntwood)

BBC Sport's Mike Sewell
"The visitors' years of Premiership experience told"
Links to more Eng Prem stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Eng Prem stories

^^ Back to top