Stoke 1 - 3 Newcastle
Page last updated at 21:57 GMT, Monday, 31 October 2011
Demba Ba's hat-trick ensured Newcastle continued their unbeaten run as they moved up to third in the Premier League following victory over Stoke.
The Senegal striker headed in Gabriel Obertan's cross to open the scoring on 12 minutes and followed it up with a close-range finish before half-time.
Ba almost ruined his evening when his push on Peter Crouch led to Jonathan Walters' penalty with 15 minutes left.
But soon afterwards Ba scored from the spot following a foul on Leon Best.
It was his second hat-trick of the season and lifted his season's tally to eight, while victory for Alan Pardew's team puts them above Chelsea in the Premier League table with 22 points.
The result also marked a significant scalp given that Stoke - who almost signed Ba before he moved to former club West Ham - had not lost at the Britannia Stadium this season.
And it underlined the Magpies' credentials as the side with the best defensive record in the top tier, as they thwarted Stoke's set-piece threat.
The visitors combined that with the ability to break forward down either flank and Yohan Cabaye was also a source of creativity, playing alongside Danny Guthrie in the centre of Newcastle's midfield.
DID YOU KNOW?Continue reading the main story
Newcastle's unbeaten sequence of 13 Premier League matches is their longest top-flight run for more than 61 years
It was Obertan's anticipation that led to Ba's first goal. He was quickest to latch onto Best's flick-on down the right, and his accurate centre found the former Hoffenheim striker in space to head in his sixth goal of the season.
Stoke were reduced to set-piece efforts but the Newcastle defence lapped it up and, although he almost dropped a cross into Peter Crouch's path, Tim Krul saved well from Matthew Etherington's rising effort.
Tony Pulis's defence were not helped by the enforced substitutions of Ryan Shawcross and Marc Wilson, and keeper Asmir Begovic had to be sharp off his line to prevent further quick breaks by Newcastle.
Bizarrely, the home supporters booed Ba after his goal, although it was Stoke who decided not to sign him because of a supposed injury, and the jeers grew in volume when Ba doubled the lead.
Fabricio Coloccini, who was also excellent in defence, strode forward and when his angled pass into the area was not cleared, Best's cross-shot fell perfectly for Ba to tuck in from close range.
Newcastle easily withstood Stoke's direct approach in the first half, but they came under more pressure after the break, with Robert Huth heading over from Etherington's corner.
Pulis brought on Kenwyne Jones as his team altered their formation, and the change gave them the momentum which led to Walters' 75th-minute penalty, when Ba knocked over Crouch following a scramble.
Stoke had their tails up and the home crowd were in full voice, but just as they started to sense an equaliser, referee Mike Dean awarded a penalty at the other end for what looked like a tame push on Best by Huth.
Ba took little notice of the controversy and swept in his hat-trick goal to put Newcastle in a league position some of their supporters would have thought barely possible at the start of the season.
Live text and stats
Monday, 31 October 2011
|Home Team||Score||Away Team||Time|
- 01 Begovic
- 17 Shawcross (Upson 19)
- 28 Wilkinson
- 39 Woodgate
- 06 Whelan
- 12 Wilson (Huth 41)
- 16 Pennant
- 24 Delap
- 26 Etherington (Jones 68)
- 19 Walters
- 25 Crouch
- 26 Krul
- 02 Coloccini
- 05 Simpson
- 16 R Taylor
- 27 S Taylor
- 04 Cabaye (Perch 78 yellow card)
- 08 Guthrie (Gosling 90+1)
- 18 Gutierrez
- 25 Obertan
- 19 Ba
- 20 Best (Sa Ameobi 86)
- Stoke 51%
- Newcastle 49%
Attempts on target
- Stoke 4
- Newcastle 2
Attempts off target
- Stoke 6
- Newcastle 4
- Stoke 8
- Newcastle 2
- Stoke 8
- Newcastle 14
- Final Result
- Full Time
- 90:00+5:42 The final whistle is blown by the referee.
- 90:00+5:03 Foul by Jonathan Walters on Danny Simpson, free kick awarded.
- 90:00+4:44 James Perch gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Glenn Whelan. Direct free kick taken by Glenn Whelan.
- 90:00+2:32 Effort on goal by Peter Crouch from deep inside the penalty area misses to the right of the goal.
- 90:00+2:13 Shot from 12 yards by Robert Huth. Blocked by Demba Ba.
- 90:00+0:43 Substitution Dan Gosling joins the action as a substitute, replacing Danny Guthrie.
- 87:47 Foul by Robert Huth on Tim Krul, free kick awarded. Direct free kick taken by Tim Krul.
- 85:52 Substitution Sammy Ameobi replaces Leon Best.
- 85:09 The official flags Kenwyne Jones offside. Free kick taken by Tim Krul.
- 83:12 Leon Best challenges Robert Huth unfairly and gives away a free kick. Asmir Begovic takes the free kick.
- 81:57 Effort from the edge of the area by Gabriel Obertan goes wide of the left-hand post.
- 81:08 Assist on the goal came from Leon Best.
- 80:33 GOAL - Demba Ba:Stoke 1 - 3 Newcastle Demba Ba scores a placed penalty. Stoke 1-3 Newcastle.
- 79:48 Robert Huth concedes a Penalty for a foul on Leon Best.
- 77:52 Direct free kick taken by Jonathan Woodgate.
- 77:52 Booking James Perch is shown a yellow card.
- 77:43 Free kick awarded for a foul by James Perch on Glenn Whelan.
- 77:10 Substitution James Perch is brought on as a substitute for Yohan Cabaye.
- 76:37 The ball is crossed by Andy Wilkinson, save by Tim Krul.
- 75:15 The assist for the goal came from Peter Crouch.
- 74:33 GOAL - Jonathan Walters:Stoke 1 - 2 Newcastle Power penalty scored by Jonathan Walters. Stoke 1-2 Newcastle.
- 74:26 Peter Crouch fouled by Demba Ba, the ref awards a Penalty.
- 73:45 Matthew Upson takes a shot. Blocked by Steven Taylor.
- 72:23 Jonathan Walters challenges Danny Simpson unfairly and gives away a free kick. Steven Taylor takes the free kick.
- 71:16 Demba Ba gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Jermaine Pennant. Asmir Begovic restarts play with the free kick.
- 68:36 Unfair challenge on Matthew Upson by Leon Best results in a free kick. Asmir Begovic takes the free kick.
- 67:31 Asmir Begovic takes the free kick.
- 67:31 Substitution Matthew Etherington goes off and Kenwyne Jones comes on.
- 67:31 The assistant referee flags for offside against Danny Simpson.
- 65:57 Foul by Leon Best on Andy Wilkinson, free kick awarded. Direct free kick taken by Asmir Begovic.
- 65:18 The ball is sent over by Matthew Etherington.
- 63:24 Robert Huth gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Ryan Taylor. Free kick taken by Tim Krul.
- 61:53 Inswinging corner taken by Jermaine Pennant, Close range header by Matthew Upson misses to the right of the target.
- 61:17 Jermaine Pennant takes the inswinging corner, clearance made by Danny Simpson.
- 60:51 Free kick awarded for a foul by Leon Best on Andy Wilkinson. Matthew Upson restarts play with the free kick.
- 59:07 Yohan Cabaye challenges Jermaine Pennant unfairly and gives away a free kick. Free kick taken by Asmir Begovic.
- 55:30 The referee blows for offside. Tim Krul takes the free kick.
- 54:13 Corner taken left-footed by Matthew Etherington, Peter Crouch has a headed effort at goal from close in which goes wide of the left-hand upright.
- 53:37 Unfair challenge on Peter Crouch by Steven Taylor results in a free kick. The free kick is delivered left-footed by Matthew Etherington from left channel, Steven Taylor makes a clearance.
- 52:28 Matthew Etherington takes the inswinging corner, Robert Huth has a headed effort from close in and clears the bar.
- 50:52 Foul by Robert Huth on Demba Ba, free kick awarded. Direct strike on goal from the free kick comes in from Ryan Taylor, save by Asmir Begovic.
- 46:31 Leon Best concedes a free kick for a foul on Matthew Upson. Direct free kick taken by Asmir Begovic.
- 45:01 The referee gets the second half started.
- Half Time
- 45:00+5:07 The half-time whistle blows.
- 45:00+4:38 Leon Best has an effort at goal from outside the penalty box which goes wide right of the target.
- 43:38 Unfair challenge on Ryan Taylor by Jonathan Walters results in a free kick. Free kick taken by Tim Krul.
- 43:08 Leon Best is flagged offside by the assistant referee. Asmir Begovic takes the free kick.
- 41:57 Unfair challenge on Ryan Taylor by Jermaine Pennant results in a free kick. Free kick taken by Ryan Taylor.
- 40:44 Corner taken left-footed by Matthew Etherington, Matthew Upson takes a shot. Save made by Tim Krul.
- 40:44 Substitution Robert Huth joins the action as a substitute, replacing Marc Wilson.
- 39:34 The ball is crossed by Leon Best,
- 39:03 The assist for the goal came from Leon Best.
- 39:03 GOAL - Demba Ba:Stoke 0 - 2 Newcastle Goal scored by Demba Ba from close range to the bottom left corner of the goal. Stoke 0-2 Newcastle.
- 39:03 GOAL - Demba Ba:Stoke 0 - 2 Newcastle Cross by Andy Monkhouse (Hartlepool), clearance by Newcastle Newcastle Newcastle Newcastle
- 37:17 Foul by Yohan Cabaye on Glenn Whelan, free kick awarded. Free kick crossed left-footed by Matthew Etherington from left channel.
- 36:02 Jermaine Pennant produces a cross.
- 34:41 Matthew Etherington produces a volleyed left-footed shot from 25 yards. Save by Tim Krul.
- 34:07 Matthew Etherington sends in a cross, clearance made by Fabricio Coloccini.
- 31:15 Danny Simpson sends in a cross, clearance by Andy Wilkinson.
- 29:21 Corner taken right-footed by Jermaine Pennant from the left by-line to the near post, Steven Taylor makes a clearance.
- 29:14 The ball is delivered by Glenn Whelan, Tim Krul makes a save.
- 24:50 Corner taken by Matthew Etherington, save made by Tim Krul.
- 23:51 The ball is delivered by Jermaine Pennant.
- 23:30 Andy Wilkinson fouled by Jonas Gutierrez, the ref awards a free kick. Free kick taken by Andy Wilkinson.
- 22:04 Headed effort from deep inside the area by Matthew Upson misses to the right of the target.
- 18:26 Substitution Matthew Upson joins the action as a substitute, replacing Ryan Shawcross.
- 13:27 Matthew Etherington takes a inswinging corner from the right by-line to the near post, Headed effort from inside the area by Jonathan Walters misses to the left of the goal.
- 11:47 Assist by Gabriel Obertan.
- 11:47 GOAL - Demba Ba:Stoke 0 - 1 Newcastle Demba Ba grabs a headed goal from inside the six-yard box. Stoke 0-1 Newcastle.
- 7:41 Foul by Jonas Gutierrez on Andy Wilkinson, free kick awarded. Jonathan Woodgate takes the direct free kick.
- 6:07 The ball is sent over by Jermaine Pennant, clearance by Danny Simpson.
- 1:56 Effort from outside the box by Ryan Taylor goes wide right of the target.
- 1:27 Yohan Cabaye takes a inswinging corner.
- 0:47 Corner from the left by-line taken by Yohan Cabaye, clearance made by Peter Crouch.
- 0:00 The game begins.
Live text and data provided by The Press Association.
Premier League results
Premier League table snapshot