Everton 0 - 2 Liverpool
Page last updated at 13:42 GMT, Saturday, 1 October 2011 14:42 UK
Liverpool's £58m strikeforce of Andy Carroll and Luis Suarez scored the goals that settled the Merseyside derby at Goodison Park - but Everton were left complaining bitterly about Jack Rodwell's controversial early red card.
Rodwell was sent off by referee Martin Atkinson - who has shown 15 red cards since the start of last season - after 23 minutes for what appeared to be a legitimate challenge on Suarez.
Everton had started well but were then forced to mount a rearguard action with 10 men following Rodwell's dismissal.
The hosts survived when goalkeeper Tim Howard saved Dirk Kuyt's penalty late in the first half after Phil Jagielka felled Suarez.
But with Goodison Park openly directing its full hostility towards Atkinson, Liverpool went ahead when Carroll turned in his first Premier League goal of the season after 70 minutes.
And Suarez took advantage of a misunderstanding between Leighton Baines and Sylvain Distin to add a second with eight minutes left.
Everton boss David Moyes will be frustrated at the turn of events that halted his side's early momentum - but counterpart Kenny Dalglish will happily take victory on his return to Goodison Park as Liverpool manager, the place where his first spell in charge ended more than 20 years ago.
Tim Cahill was fit for Everton after suffering a shin injury at Manchester City last week - and his value was illustrated as he was swiftly into his stride and unsettling the Liverpool defence.
It was Suarez, however, who had the first chance. Jagielka's sliced clearance found Kuyt, but Suarez could only head his cross tamely into the arms of Howard.
Merseyside derby red cardsContinue reading the main story
- 1 October 2011 - Jack Rodwell
- 6 February 2010 - Sotiros Kyrgiakos & Steven Pienaar
- 4 February 2009 - Lucas
- 27 September 2008 - Tim Cahill
- 20 October 2007 - Tony Hibbert & Phil Neville
- 25 March 2006 - Steven Gerrard & Andy van der Meyde
- 28 December 2005 - Phil Neville & Mikel Arteta
- 20 March 2005 - Milan Baros
- 19 April 2003 - David Weir & Gary Naysmith
- 16 April 2001 - Igor Biscan
- 29 October 2000 - Thomas Gravesen
- 27 September 1999 - Sander Westerveld, Francis Jeffers & Steven Gerrard
As a frenetic opening continued, Cahill - whose robust approach had already prompted Jamie Carragher to register his displeasure to Atkinson - rose above the Liverpool defence to force keeper Pepe Reina into an athletic tip over the top.
Everton defender Distin then demonstrated neat footwork to evade a succession of challenges inside the area before sending a rising, angled effort narrowly off target.
The game was engulfed in controversy when Rodwell appeared to win the ball cleanly in a midfield challenge with Suarez. The tackle drew an angry response from Liverpool's players- Lucas in particular as Suarez writhed in agony - but it was an obvious injustice when the England Under-21 midfielder was shown the red card.
As half-time approached with Everton desperate to get into the dressing room and regroup, Liverpool were awarded a penalty for Jagielka's rash challenge on Suarez. This time there was no disputing Atkinson's decision, but Howard rescued Everton by diving low to his left to keep out Kuyt's spot-kick.
At the end of a frantic first 45 minutes, there was still time for Charlie Adam to strike the bar from 20 yards before referee Atkinson departed to a deafening chorus of jeering from Everton's fans.
Little had been seen of £35m man Carroll until just after the restart when he twice rose powerfully to meet corners, forcing Louis Saha to clear acrobatically off the line and Howard to save low at his post.
Saha had been in lively mood after he was restored to the side and gave Reina an anxious moment with a low effort from distance that flashed just wide.
It was the signal for Dalglish to contemplate changes and they came after 66 minutes when Adam and the subdued Stewart Downing were replaced by Steven Gerrard and Craig Bellamy.
Liverpool had hardly been placing Everton under relentless pressure, but they finally forced their way through with 20 minutes left. Bellamy played in Jose Enrique, and when Kuyt ducked under his cross Carroll forced home from eight yards.
Everton were, perhaps understandably, deflated at the setback and it was no surprise when Suarez added Liverpool's second after 82 minutes. Distin and Baines were involved in a mix-up as the Uruguayan advanced into the area, and he was not about to pass up the gift to shoot low past Howard.
The striker's celebrations in front of the Gwladys Street end were interrupted by a number of bottles being thrown on to the pitch but Liverpool remained in command to collect three points in comfort, with Kuyt striking the woodwork in the closing seconds.
Live text and stats
Saturday, 1 October 2011
|Home Team||Score||Away Team||Time|
- 24 Howard
- 02 Hibbert (Vellios 78)
- 03 Baines
- 06 Jagielka
- 15 Distin
- 23 Coleman (Drenthe 59)
- 17 Cahill yellow card
- 21 Osman (Neville 69)
- 25 Fellaini
- 26 Rodwell red card
- 08 Saha
- 25 Reina
- 03 Jose Enrique
- 23 Carragher
- 34 Kelly
- 37 Skrtel
- 19 Downing (Bellamy 67)
- 21 Lucas yellow card (Henderson 88)
- 26 Adam (Gerrard 67)
- 07 Suarez
- 09 Carroll
- 18 Kuyt
- Everton 40%
- Liverpool 60%
Attempts on target
- Everton 4
- Liverpool 9
Attempts off target
- Everton 8
- Liverpool 6
- Everton 5
- Liverpool 9
- Everton 15
- Liverpool 9
- Final Result
- Full Time
- 90:00+3:22 The referee signals the end of the game.
- 90:00+1:18 Corner taken right-footed by Luis Suarez from the left by-line to the near post, Shot from inside the six-yard box by Dirk Kuyt strikes the post.
- 90:00+0:48 Royston Drenthe takes a shot from 20 yards. Save by Jose Reina.
- 88:55 Foul by Dirk Kuyt on Sylvain Distin, free kick awarded. Direct free kick taken by Tim Howard.
- 88:34 Corner taken by Craig Bellamy played to the near post, Apostolos Vellios makes a clearance.
- 87:41 Craig Bellamy takes a outswinging corner from the right by-line played to the near post, Steven Gerrard takes a shot. Leighton Baines gets a block in.
- 87:22 Substitution Jordan Henderson is brought on as a substitute for Leiva Lucas.
- 86:36 Centre by Craig Bellamy, Leighton Baines makes a clearance.
- 85:51 Royston Drenthe challenges Martin Kelly unfairly and gives away a free kick. Dirk Kuyt takes the direct free kick.
- 85:02 Leighton Baines has a shot on goal from outside the area which misses left.
- 84:13 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Royston Drenthe by Leiva Lucas. Phil Jagielka takes the free kick.
- 83:47 The referee penalises Dirk Kuyt for handball. Direct free kick taken by Leighton Baines.
- 82:30 Louis Saha has an effort at goal from deep inside the area missing to the right of the goal.
- 81:09 Dirk Kuyt provided the assist for the goal.
- 81:09 GOAL - Luis Suarez:Everton 0 - 2 Liverpool Luis Suarez finds the net with a goal from close range to the bottom left corner of the goal. Everton 0-2 Liverpool.
- 77:48 Direct free kick taken by Jose Reina.
- 77:48 Substitution Apostolos Vellios joins the action as a substitute, replacing Tony Hibbert.
- 77:48 Free kick awarded for a foul by Louis Saha on Jamie Carragher.
- 75:35 Corner taken by Craig Bellamy from the left by-line played to the near post, Phil Neville makes a clearance.
- 75:28 Centre by Steven Gerrard, Tim Howard makes a save.
- 74:12 The ball is delivered by Tony Hibbert, clearance made by Jamie Carragher.
- 71:48 Tim Cahill takes a shot. Save made by Jose Reina.
- 70:44 Assist on the goal came from Sanchez Jose Enrique.
- 70:44 GOAL - Andy Carroll:Everton 0 - 1 Liverpool Andy Carroll scores a goal from inside the penalty area to the bottom right corner of the goal. Everton 0-1 Liverpool.
- 69:26 The official flags Craig Bellamy offside. Tim Howard takes the indirect free kick.
- 68:40 Substitution Leon Osman leaves the field to be replaced by Phil Neville.
- 67:43 Foul by Royston Drenthe on Dirk Kuyt, free kick awarded. A cross is delivered by Steven Gerrard, Luis Suarez produces a header from inside the area that goes over the bar.
- 66:21 Substitution Craig Bellamy joins the action as a substitute, replacing Stewart Downing.
- 66:21 Substitution Charlie Adam leaves the field to be replaced by Steven Gerrard.
- 66:14 The ball is swung over by Sanchez Jose Enrique.
- 61:28 Free kick awarded for a foul by Tim Cahill on Stewart Downing. Martin Skrtel takes the free kick.
- 60:39 Louis Saha produces a right-footed shot from outside the penalty box and misses left.
- 60:07 Marouane Fellaini is caught offside. Jose Reina restarts play with the free kick.
- 59:31 Dirk Kuyt challenges Royston Drenthe unfairly and gives away a free kick. Direct free kick taken by Leon Osman.
- 58:28 Substitution Royston Drenthe joins the action as a substitute, replacing Seamus Coleman.
- 57:20 Effort from long distance by Leiva Lucas goes wide right of the goal.
- 55:48 Stewart Downing fouled by Seamus Coleman, the ref awards a free kick. Direct free kick taken by Charlie Adam. Dirk Kuyt has an effort at goal from the edge of the box that misses to the right of the target.
- 54:09 Inswinging corner taken left-footed by Charlie Adam from the right by-line, Tim Howard makes a brilliant save.
- 53:37 Outswinging corner taken left-footed by Stewart Downing from the left by-line, Andy Carroll takes a shot. Save made by Tim Howard.
- 53:30 The ball is swung over by Martin Kelly, Phil Jagielka makes a clearance.
- 52:26 Inswinging corner taken by Charlie Adam from the right by-line, Andy Carroll takes a shot. Louis Saha manages to make a clearance.
- 51:55 Louis Saha produces a right-footed shot from just outside the box that misses to the right of the net.
- 51:18 Free kick awarded for a foul by Seamus Coleman on Sanchez Jose Enrique. Free kick taken by Jose Reina.
- 51:11 The ball is sent over by Leighton Baines.
- 49:09 Phil Jagielka takes the free kick.
- 49:09 Booking Leiva Lucas receives a yellow card.
- 49:04 Leiva Lucas concedes a free kick for a foul on Louis Saha.
- 46:22 Martin Kelly takes a shot. Tim Howard makes a comfortable save.
- 45:01 The referee gets the second half started.
- Half Time
- 45:00+3:03 The match has reached half-time.
- 45:00+2:25 Charlie Adam takes the chance to get an effort at goal.
- 45:00+2:05 Foul by Louis Saha on Leiva Lucas, free kick awarded. Free kick taken by Leiva Lucas.
- 45:00+1:13 Luis Suarez takes a shot. Blocked by Marouane Fellaini.
- 44:49 Inswinging corner taken from the right by-line by Charlie Adam.
- 44:27 Inswinging corner taken left-footed by Charlie Adam played to the near post, clearance made by Louis Saha.
- 43:52 Penalty taken by Dirk Kuyt is saved by Tim Howard. Everton 0-0 Liverpool.
- 42:52 Phil Jagielka concedes a Penalty for a foul on Luis Suarez.
- 39:51 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Leon Osman by Charlie Adam. Leighton Baines takes the free kick.
- 39:38 The ball is delivered by Martin Kelly, Marouane Fellaini makes a clearance.
- 39:29 The ball is swung over by Sanchez Jose Enrique.
- 38:22 Tony Hibbert produces a cross, clearance made by Martin Skrtel.
- 37:00 Marouane Fellaini challenges Leiva Lucas unfairly and gives away a free kick. Charlie Adam produces a shot on goal direct from the free kick.
- 33:56 Martin Kelly delivers the ball, clearance by Leon Osman.
- 32:45 Effort from inside the area by Luis Suarez misses to the right of the target.
- 32:35 Charlie Adam crosses the ball, Tony Hibbert gets a block in.
- 30:58 Dirk Kuyt sends in a cross, save by Tim Howard.
- 28:51 Free kick awarded for a foul by Martin Skrtel on Louis Saha. Phil Jagielka takes the direct free kick.
- 26:57 Jamie Carragher takes the free kick.
- 26:57 Booking Tim Cahill is cautioned.
- 26:53 Free kick awarded for a foul by Tim Cahill on Charlie Adam.
- 22:16 Martin Skrtel takes the free kick.
- 22:16 Sent off The referee sends off Jack Rodwell for serious foul play.
- 22:05 Jack Rodwell concedes a free kick for a foul on Luis Suarez.
- 20:22 Dirk Kuyt gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Louis Saha. The free kick is swung in right-footed by Leon Osman, Leiva Lucas makes a clearance.
- 18:28 Leon Osman concedes a free kick for a foul on Martin Kelly. Jamie Carragher restarts play with the free kick.
- 18:04 Andy Carroll concedes a free kick for a foul on Marouane Fellaini. Phil Jagielka restarts play with the free kick.
- 17:32 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Martin Skrtel by Seamus Coleman. Jose Reina takes the free kick.
- 16:57 Louis Saha takes a shot. Martin Kelly gets a block in. Jack Rodwell takes a shot. Blocked by Martin Skrtel.
- 16:32 Corner taken right-footed by Leon Osman, save made by Jose Reina.
- 16:18 Leon Osman decides to take the corner short.
- 13:58 Effort from outside the penalty area by Louis Saha goes wide left of the goal.
- 12:46 Louis Saha is ruled offside. Jose Reina restarts play with the free kick.
- 10:20 Effort on goal by Sylvain Distin from deep inside the area goes harmlessly over the bar.
- 9:26 Corner taken by Leon Osman from the left by-line to the near post, clearance by Charlie Adam.
- 8:57 Corner taken left-footed by Leighton Baines from the right by-line, clearance made by Andy Carroll.
- 8:49 Tim Cahill takes a shot. Save by Jose Reina.
- 8:28 Luis Suarez takes a shot. Save by Tim Howard.
- 4:22 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Jamie Carragher by Tim Cahill. Direct free kick taken by Jose Reina.
- 2:29 Inswinging corner taken by Leighton Baines from the right by-line played to the near post, Jose Reina makes a save.
- 2:08 Marouane Fellaini produces a left-footed shot from just outside the box that misses to the right of the goal.
- 1:31 Unfair challenge on Tim Cahill by Martin Kelly results in a free kick. Leighton Baines restarts play with the free kick.
- 0:21 Unfair challenge on Stewart Downing by Tony Hibbert results in a free kick. Charlie Adam takes the free kick.
- 0:00 The match gets underway.
Live text and data provided by The Press Association.
Premier League results
Premier League table snapshot