Blackburn 0 - 4 Man City
Page last updated at 15:52 GMT, Saturday, 1 October 2011 16:52 UK
Manchester City put the Carlos Tevez saga behind them with a classy victory at Blackburn that keeps them level on points with leaders Manchester United.
City lost Sergio Aguero to a groin injury in a forgettable first half but they found top form in the second.
Mario Balotelli hit a post before Adam Johnson struck with a magnificent curling effort into the top corner.
Balotelli volleyed home, Samir Nasri hit a deflected third and Stefan Savic headed in to confirm Blackburn's woe.
Rovers are now second-bottom of the Premier League table with four points from seven games and a goal difference of -9.
DID YOU KNOW...Continue reading the main story
Manchester City have taken 25 of a possible 27 points in their last nine Premier League matches.
A number of their fans staged a sit-in protest at full-time to demand the dismissal of manager Steve Kean, who will meet with the club's owners when he takes his squad to India next week.
Life looks considerably brighter for City, who join United on 19 points with a goal difference only one inferior to their rivals' 19.
Their preparations were overshadowed by the fall-out from Tuesday's 2-0 defeat at Bayern Munich in the Champions League.
Before the trip to Ewood Park, Mancini stated "I'm the manager, I'm in control" and he made six changes to his starting line-up - with Dzeko among those making way.
City carried little threat in the early stages and when they did work an opportunity on 10 minutes, Dzeko's replacement Balotelli shot wastefully over the bar.
Apart from a perfectly-timed James Milner tackle that denied Blackburn striker Yakubu, City dominated possession but created little in the way of meaningful chances.
And their cause was not helped when Sergio Aguero limped off with a groin injury.
However, City responded positively as Balotelli curled narrowly wide and turned Pablo Zabaleta's low cross into the side-netting.
Blackburn offered nothing going forward in the opening period and that continued after the break, encouraging City to flood forward.
The visitors began to hold a much higher line, passing and moving with greater urgency, and their reward was forthcoming.
A David Silva shot was deflected just wide and Balotelli struck the woodwork before Johnson fired into the top corner after Blackburn failed to clear a corner.
Mancini's men were suddenly buzzing and three minutes later they doubled their lead, Balotelli getting in front of Scott Dann to volley Nasri's cross past Paul Robinson.
Nasri then got in on the act, rounding off a counter-attack with a drilled finish that deflected off Jason Lowe.
Blackburn came close to pulling one back - Morten Gamst Pedersen almost scored direct from a corner and Yakubu shot wide.
But an unmarked Savic nodded his first goal for City to complete the rout and the final whistle brought boos from the home crowd.
Live text and stats
Saturday, 1 October 2011
|Home Team||Score||Away Team||Time|
- 01 Robinson
- 04 Samba
- 05 Givet yellow card
- 16 Dann
- 12 Pedersen
- 14 Petrovic
- 15 Nzonzi
- 35 Lowe
- 23 Hoilett
- 24 Yakubu
- 25 Goodwillie (Formica 61)
- 25 Hart
- 04 Kompany
- 05 Zabaleta yellow card
- 06 Lescott
- 13 Kolarov
- 07 Milner
- 11 Johnson (Savic 79)
- 21 Silva
- 42 Y Toure
- 16 Aguero (Nasri 27)
- 45 Balotelli (Dzeko 88)
- Blackburn 35%
- Man City 65%
Attempts on target
- Blackburn 4
- Man City 12
Attempts off target
- Blackburn 1
- Man City 7
- Blackburn 4
- Man City 5
- Blackburn 9
- Man City 14
- Final Result
- Full Time
- 90:00+2:04 The referee blows his whistle to end the game.
- 90:00+1:43 Steven Nzonzi takes a shot. Comfortable save by Joe Hart.
- 90:00+1:09 Pablo Zabaleta challenges Morten Gamst Pedersen unfairly and gives away a free kick. Free kick taken by Morten Gamst Pedersen.
- 89:54 Effort from 20 yards by Ayegbeni Yakubu. Comfortable save by Joe Hart.
- 88:56 Mauro Formica fouled by Aleksandar Kolarov, the ref awards a free kick. Free kick crossed left-footed by Morten Gamst Pedersen from right wing.
- 87:41 Substitution Edin Dzeko is brought on as a substitute for Mario Balotelli.
- 86:25 Assist on the goal came from Samir Nasri.
- 86:25 GOAL - Stefan Savic:Blackburn 0 - 4 Man City Stefan Savic scores a headed goal from close range. Blackburn 0-4 Man City.
- 86:24 Inswinging corner taken by Samir Nasri,
- 85:56 Shot by Aleksandar Kolarov. Blocked by Jason Lowe.
- 84:48 Shot from outside the box by Ayegbeni Yakubu misses to the left of the target.
- 82:07 Jason Lowe gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on David Silva. Direct free kick taken by Mario Balotelli. David Silva takes a shot. Blocked by Scott Dann. Mario Balotelli has an effort at goal from outside the penalty area missing to the wide left of the goal.
- 79:35 Corner taken by Morten Gamst Pedersen from the right by-line.
- 78:07 Substitution Stefan Savic comes on in place of Adam Johnson.
- 76:32 Inswinging corner taken left-footed by Morten Gamst Pedersen, Joe Hart makes a comfortable save.
- 75:58 Shot by Mauro Formica from 20 yards. Save made by Joe Hart.
- 75:27 Aleksandar Kolarov produces a drilled left-footed shot from 35 yards. Save made by Paul Robinson.
- 72:31 Assist by David Silva.
- 72:31 GOAL - Samir Nasri:Blackburn 0 - 3 Man City Goal scored by Samir Nasri from the edge of the penalty box to the bottom left corner of the goal. Blackburn 0-3 Man City.
- 71:54 Morten Gamst Pedersen decides to take a short corner.
- 71:47 The ball is sent over by David Hoilett, blocked by Pablo Zabaleta.
- 68:46 Indirect free kick taken by Paul Robinson.
- 68:46 Booking The referee books Pablo Zabaleta for unsporting behaviour.
- 68:37 Jason Lowe fouled by Pablo Zabaleta, the ref awards a free kick.
- 66:42 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Mauro Formica by Aleksandar Kolarov. Free kick crossed by Morten Gamst Pedersen, save made by Joe Hart.
- 65:31 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Gael Givet by Samir Nasri. Direct free kick taken by Paul Robinson.
- 61:12 Pablo Zabaleta challenges David Hoilett unfairly and gives away a free kick. The free kick is swung in left-footed by Morten Gamst Pedersen.
- 60:18 Substitution Mauro Formica joins the action as a substitute, replacing David Goodwillie.
- 58:48 Assist on the goal came from Samir Nasri.
- 58:48 GOAL - Mario Balotelli:Blackburn 0 - 2 Man City Mario Balotelli grabs a goal from close range to the bottom left corner of the goal. Blackburn 0-2 Man City.
- 58:47 Samir Nasri produces a cross,
- 58:06 Booking Gael Givet shown a yellow card.
- 57:55 James Milner fouled by Gael Givet, the ref awards a free kick. Direct free kick taken by Gnegneri Toure Yaya.
- 55:57 Assist by Aleksandar Kolarov.
- 55:57 GOAL - Adam Johnson:Blackburn 0 - 1 Man City Adam Johnson gets on the score sheet with a goal from just outside the box to the top left corner of the goal. Blackburn 0-1 Man City.
- 55:35 Outswinging corner taken left-footed by Aleksandar Kolarov played to the near post, Morten Gamst Pedersen manages to make a clearance.
- 55:30 The ball is delivered by Aleksandar Kolarov, clearance made by Christopher Samba.
- 54:51 Centre by David Silva, Christopher Samba manages to make a clearance.
- 54:45 The ball is swung over by Aleksandar Kolarov, Christopher Samba manages to make a clearance.
- 52:05 Pablo Zabaleta gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Morten Gamst Pedersen. Paul Robinson takes the free kick.
- 51:11 Mario Balotelli has an effort at goal from just inside the area that bounces off the post.
- 49:21 Foul by Mario Balotelli on David Goodwillie, free kick awarded. Morten Gamst Pedersen takes the direct free kick.
- 48:22 David Hoilett sends in a cross, clearance by Aleksandar Kolarov.
- 47:56 Vincent Kompany challenges Steven Nzonzi unfairly and gives away a free kick. Paul Robinson takes the direct free kick.
- 45:55 David Silva takes the chance to get an effort at goal. Short corner taken by Adam Johnson. Blocked by Christopher Samba.
- 45:21 Aleksandar Kolarov crosses the ball, Morten Gamst Pedersen manages to make a clearance.
- 45:01 The referee gets the second half underway.
- Half Time
- 45:00+2:10 The referee calls an end to the first half.
- 45:00+0:33 Aleksandar Kolarov concedes a free kick for a foul on Radosav Petrovic. Paul Robinson takes the direct free kick.
- 44:58 David Hoilett gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Pablo Zabaleta. Pablo Zabaleta takes the free kick.
- 44:09 Close range effort by Mario Balotelli goes wide of the right-hand upright.
- 42:25 Mario Balotelli produces a overhead kick right-footed shot from deep inside the penalty box which goes wide of the left-hand upright.
- 42:01 Short corner worked by Samir Nasri.
- 40:28 Foul by Joleon Lescott on David Goodwillie, free kick awarded. Morten Gamst Pedersen restarts play with the free kick.
- 37:23 Ayegbeni Yakubu takes a shot. Save by Joe Hart.
- 36:44 Mario Balotelli has an effort at goal from outside the penalty box missing to the wide right of the goal.
- 34:47 James Milner has a shot on goal from outside the box which misses right.
- 34:39 The ball is swung over by Adam Johnson, Scott Dann makes a clearance.
- 32:41 David Hoilett gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Adam Johnson. Aleksandar Kolarov crosses the ball in from the free kick.
- 31:49 Free kick awarded for a foul by Steven Nzonzi on Joleon Lescott. Free kick taken by James Milner.
- 31:33 Foul by Pablo Zabaleta on David Hoilett, free kick awarded. Free kick taken by Paul Robinson.
- 29:14 Corner taken short by Samir Nasri, The ball is crossed by Adam Johnson, Paul Robinson makes a save.
- 28:56 Samir Nasri takes a shot. Scott Dann gets a block in.
- 27:51 Inswinging corner taken left-footed by Morten Gamst Pedersen, free kick awarded for a foul by David Goodwillie on Joe Hart. Joe Hart takes the free kick.
- 26:55 Substitution Samir Nasri joins the action as a substitute, replacing Sergio Aguero.
- 23:55 Shot from 18 yards from Mario Balotelli. Blocked by Jason Lowe.
- 22:01 A cross is delivered by James Milner, save made by Paul Robinson.
- 16:50 Adam Johnson takes a shot. Save by Paul Robinson.
- 13:38 Morten Gamst Pedersen delivers the ball, clearance by Joleon Lescott.
- 12:43 Gnegneri Toure Yaya concedes a free kick for a foul on David Goodwillie. Free kick taken by Paul Robinson.
- 10:49 Unfair challenge on Gnegneri Toure Yaya by Ayegbeni Yakubu results in a free kick. Free kick taken by Joleon Lescott.
- 9:38 David Silva takes a shot. Save by Paul Robinson. Shot from deep inside the area by Mario Balotelli clears the bar.
- 7:36 James Milner is adjudged to have handled the ball. Paul Robinson takes the indirect free kick.
- 6:29 Pablo Zabaleta produces a cross, Scott Dann makes a clearance.
- 5:25 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Aleksandar Kolarov by David Goodwillie. Aleksandar Kolarov takes the free kick.
- 3:27 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Steven Nzonzi by Mario Balotelli. Direct free kick taken by Paul Robinson.
- 1:34 Foul by David Goodwillie on Mario Balotelli, free kick awarded. James Milner restarts play with the free kick.
- 0:00 The referee gets the game started.
Live text and data provided by The Press Association.
Premier League results
Premier League table snapshot