Bolton 1 - 2 Norwich
Page last updated at 16:06 GMT, Saturday, 17 September 2011 17:06 UK
Norwich earned their first win of the season at the expense of 10-man Bolton who lost their third successive game.
The Canaries' first-half pressure paid off when Anthony Pilkington prodded home from close range on 37 minutes, followed five minutes later by a classy header from Bradley Johnson.
Bolton were down to 10 when Ivan Klasnic saw red for headbutting full-back Marc Tierney.
Martin Petrov's penalty reduced the deficit but Norwich held on.
It was the fifth conceded by the side in as many games - a Premier League record - and deftly converted by Petrov after second-half substitute David Ngog was barged in the back by Leon Barnett.
Victory was Norwich's first away win in the top flight for 17 years, and while manager Paul Lambert has complained of their treatment at the hands of referees, there were no complaints about the penalty.
The consolation goal will prove little comfort for Bolton fans who greeted part of their team's first-half performance with groans.
The Norwich fans however, among them Shadow Chancellor Ed Balls, were left buoyant.
Searching runs and a shot from Elliot Bennett, as well as a Russell Martin header, saw Norwich start off brightly, sending a signal of intent to a Bolton side now labouring under four straight league defeats.
Norwich: Paying the penaltiesContinue reading the main story
- Norwich now hold the Premier League record for the most consecutive games in which penalties were given against them
- The previous record was held by Wimbledon with four
Eight minutes before the break Leon Barnett diverted a corner back into a mass of bodies, among them Pilkington who spun and poked the ball home.
The Bolton defence remained shaky as Johnson rose to head a cross from the right wing into the bottom left-hand corner, leaving a stunned Jussi Jaaskelainen on his knees and staring into his net.
By the end of the first half the fans' displeasure was audible and Coyle responded by sending on Chris Eagles and David Ngog.
Norwich appeared to have the game wrapped up after Klasnic walked following a straight red card from referee Howard Webb.
The forward had been waving his arms in the direction of Marc Tierney and received a nudge in the melee. He responded by flashing his forehead in Tierney's direction, the latter going down easily after what appeared to be slight contact.
There was drama near the end of the game when Canaries goalkeeper John Ruddy acrobatically saved a point-blank header from Ngog seconds before the whistle.
Bolton Wanderers manager Owen Coyle:
"To concede the two goals from set-plays certainly wasn't good enough. We're all designated markers and we haven't done well enough in that department.
"My concern is when we concede soft goals like we did today. It's not as if someone has beaten two or three players and hit it into the top corner - this was self inflicted.
"Even at 2-0 we can still find a way back into the game and then comes Ivan's sending-off. There's no doubt it's a disappointing game and we have to do far better from start to finish."
Norwich City manager Paul Lambert:
"I've never had a problem with confidence. They seem to bounce back whether they draw or get beaten, and that is testament to the way they played today.
"I thought we were really comfortable up to the penalty, then Bolton threw everything at us.
"That put us on the back foot for five or 10 minutes but we fought through."
Live text and stats
Saturday, 17 September 2011
|Home Team||Score||Away Team||Time|
- 22 Jaaskelainen yellow card
- 04 Robinson yellow card
- 05 Cahill
- 12 Knight
- 25 Boyata
- 10 Petrov
- 19 Reo-Coker yellow card
- 21 Pratley (M Davies 74)
- 09 Tuncay (Eagles 46)
- 14 Davies (Ngog 46)
- 17 Klasnic red card
- 01 Ruddy
- 02 R Martin
- 20 Barnett
- 23 Tierney
- 25 Naughton
- 04 Johnson
- 12 Pilkington (Vaughan 77)
- 14 Hoolahan (Crofts 87)
- 15 Fox
- 17 Bennett
- 05 Morison (Holt 76 yellow card)
- Bolton 52%
- Norwich 48%
Attempts on target
- Bolton 7
- Norwich 5
Attempts off target
- Bolton 0
- Norwich 6
- Bolton 6
- Norwich 9
- Bolton 8
- Norwich 8
- Final Result
- 94:10 The match has reached full-time.
- Full Time
- 90:00+3:11 David Ngog takes a shot. Corner taken by Martin Petrov. John Ruddy makes a save.
- 90:00+2:12 Booking Grant Holt is shown a yellow card.
- 90:00+2:05 The assistant referee flags for offside against James Vaughan. Direct free kick taken by Jussi Jaaskelainen.
- 88:51 Corner taken by Martin Petrov from the right by-line, Andrew Crofts manages to make a clearance.
- 87:36 Grant Holt concedes a free kick for a foul on Paul Robinson. Jussi Jaaskelainen restarts play with the free kick.
- 86:27 Substitution (Norwich) makes a substitution, with Andrew Crofts coming on for Wesley Hoolahan.
- 83:17 David Ngog fouled by Russell Martin, the ref awards a free kick. Paul Robinson takes the direct free kick.
- 81:54 David Ngog takes a shot. Leon Barnett gets a block in.
- 81:24 Bradley Johnson concedes a free kick for a foul on Dedryck Boyata. Dedryck Boyata takes the direct free kick.
- 80:30 James Vaughan fouled by Paul Robinson, the ref awards a free kick. Strike comes in from Bradley Johnson from the free kick.
- Correction - 79:30 Unfair challenge on James Vaughan by Paul Robinson results in a free kick. Bradley Johnson shoots direct from the free kick.
- 79:09 Booking Booking for Paul Robinson.
- Correction - 78:41 Gary Cahill challenges Grant Holt unfairly and gives away a free kick. David Fox takes the direct free kick.
- 78:41 Gary Cahill gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Grant Holt. Free kick taken by David Fox.
- 75:53 Substitution (Norwich) makes a substitution, with James Vaughan coming on for Anthony Pilkington.
- 75:53 Substitution (Norwich) makes a substitution, with Grant Holt coming on for Steve Morison.
- 73:00 Substitution Mark Davies joins the action as a substitute, replacing Darren Pratley.
- 72:45 Steve Morison has an effort at goal from deep inside the area missing to the left of the target.
- 71:06 Chris Eagles is ruled offside. John Ruddy takes the free kick.
- 67:04 Steve Morison is ruled offside. Jussi Jaaskelainen takes the indirect free kick.
- 65:00 David Ngog takes a shot. Blocked by Leon Barnett.
- 64:51 Inswinging corner taken right-footed by Chris Eagles, Gary Cahill takes a shot. Steve Morison gets a block in.
- 63:41 David Ngog provided the assist for the goal.
- 63:41 GOAL - Martin Petrov:Bolton 1 - 2 Norwich Martin Petrov scores a placed penalty. Bolton 1-2 Norwich.
- 62:40 Leon Barnett gives away a Penalty for an unfair challenge on David Ngog.
- 57:44 Steve Morison is ruled offside. Free kick taken by Jussi Jaaskelainen.
- 55:34 David Ngog fouled by Russell Martin, the ref awards a free kick. Martin Petrov produces a strike on goal direct from the free kick, save by Jussi Jaaskelainen.
- 55:12 Steve Morison is flagged offside by the assistant referee. Gary Cahill takes the free kick.
- 53:59 Free kick awarded for a foul by Zat Knight on Steve Morison. Direct free kick taken by David Fox, Headed effort from deep inside the penalty area by Bradley Johnson misses to the left of the goal.
- 53:19 Foul by Nigel Reo-Coker on Wesley Hoolahan, free kick awarded. Bradley Johnson restarts play with the free kick.
- 53:00 Booking Nigel Reo-Coker shown a yellow card.
- 51:16 Inswinging corner taken right-footed by David Fox from the left by-line, clearance by Zat Knight.
- 50:35 Outswinging corner taken by David Fox from the right by-line, clearance by Paul Robinson.
- 47:50 The referee blows for offside. Jussi Jaaskelainen restarts play with the free kick.
- 45:53 Elliott Bennett produces a right-footed shot from the edge of the box and misses to the right of the target.
- 45:01 The second half has started.
- 45:01 Substitution Kevin Davies goes off and David Ngog comes on.
- 45:01 Substitution Tuncay Sanli leaves the field to be replaced by Chris Eagles.
- Half Time
- 45:00+3:40 The half-time whistle blows.
- 45:00+3:16 Tuncay Sanli takes a shot. Save by John Ruddy.
- 45:00+1:12 Sent off Ivan Klasnic sent off.
- 44:51 The offside flag is raised against Steve Morison. Jussi Jaaskelainen takes the direct free kick.
- 43:07 Bradley Johnson concedes a free kick for a foul on Ivan Klasnic. Shot on goal comes in from Martin Petrov from the free kick, blocked by Leon Barnett. Martin Petrov takes a corner.
- 41:38 Assist on the goal came from David Fox.
- 41:38 GOAL - Bradley Johnson:Bolton 0 - 2 Norwich Bradley Johnson scores a headed goal from inside the penalty box. Bolton 0-2 Norwich.
- 40:57 Paul Robinson challenges Elliott Bennett unfairly and gives away a free kick. Direct free kick taken by David Fox,
- 40:00 Corner taken by David Fox, Gary Cahill makes a clearance.
- 39:51 Anthony Pilkington sends in a cross, clearance made by Dedryck Boyata.
- 39:08 Unfair challenge on Russell Martin by Kevin Davies results in a free kick. Marc Tierney takes the free kick.
- 36:46 Steve Morison provided the assist for the goal.
- 36:46 GOAL - Anthony Pilkington:Bolton 0 - 1 Norwich Goal scored by Anthony Pilkington from close in to the bottom left corner of the goal. Bolton 0-1 Norwich.
- 36:29 Outswinging corner taken right-footed by David Fox from the right by-line,
- 35:33 Headed effort from deep inside the penalty area by Elliott Bennett misses to the left of the goal.
- Correction - 34:48 Outswinging corner taken from the right by-line by David Fox. Unfair challenge on Russell Martin by Nigel Reo-Coker results in a free kick. Direct free kick taken by Russell Martin.
- 34:48 David Fox takes a corner.
- 34:10 Martin Petrov delivers the ball, save made by John Ruddy.
- 32:45 Inswinging corner taken left-footed by Martin Petrov, David Fox manages to make a clearance.
- 31:22 Marc Tierney crosses the ball, blocked by Tuncay Sanli.
- Correction - 29:41 The offside flag is raised against Steve Morison. Free kick taken by Jussi Jaaskelainen.
- 29:41 The referee blows for offside against Wesley Hoolahan. Free kick taken by Jussi Jaaskelainen.
- 27:05 The ball is swung over by Elliott Bennett.
- 23:26 Outswinging corner taken right-footed by David Fox from the right by-line to the near post.
- 22:27 Dedryck Boyata concedes a free kick for a foul on Anthony Pilkington. John Ruddy takes the free kick.
- 15:44 Foul by Leon Barnett on Ivan Klasnic, free kick awarded. Dedryck Boyata takes the direct free kick.
- 14:26 Russell Martin takes a shot. Save made by Jussi Jaaskelainen.
- 13:50 Outswinging corner taken from the right by-line by David Fox, Gary Cahill manages to make a clearance.
- 12:17 Corner taken left-footed by Martin Petrov, Bradley Johnson manages to make a clearance.
- 11:37 Russell Martin concedes a free kick for a foul on Kevin Davies. Martin Petrov takes the free kick.
- 8:27 Header by Bradley Johnson from deep inside the penalty area misses to the left of the target.
- 8:27 Booking Jussi Jaaskelainen is shown a yellow card.
- 8:25 David Fox takes the inswinging corner,
- 8:02 Steve Morison takes a shot. Save made by Jussi Jaaskelainen.
- 5:22 Elliott Bennett takes a shot. Save by Jussi Jaaskelainen. Corner from the right by-line taken by David Fox, Zat Knight makes a clearance.
- 0:00 The referee starts the match.
Live text and data provided by The Press Association.
Premier League results
Premier League table snapshot