QPR 0 - 0 Newcastle
Page last updated at 20:54 GMT, Monday, 12 September 2011 21:54 UK
Queens Park Rangers failed to spark their new era into life despite an encouraging display as they were held to a goalless draw by Newcastle.
Shaun Wright-Phillips was a menace on his debut as he headed over before having a chip cleared off the line.
Jay Bothroyd added to an open first half but was also denied under the bar by Danny Simpson and squandered a volley from seven yards out.
Leon Best had Newcastle's best chance but Paddy Kenny saved to his right.
The hosts faded after the break with Wright-Phillips going close again with a shot from distance after a fine run.
And though QPR boss Neil Warnock might have been disappointed not to have won the game, he would have taken solace in the way six debutants integrated themselves into the team.
Wright-Phillips struck an instant understanding with Adel Taarabt to create a number of chances for Bothroyd, who has still to open his account since a summer move from Cardiff, and they were guided by the impressive Alejandro Faurlin throughout.
But they came up against a solid Newcastle defence, who continued their unbeaten start to the season and now sit fourth in the Premier League table.
QPR looked the far more cohesive of the two sides and, with the midfield area congested, made early inroads down the flanks.
QPR'S DEBUTANTSContinue reading the main story
- New captain Joey Barton
- Shaun Wright-Phillips
- Anton Ferdinand
- Luke Young
- Armand Traore
- Substitute Jason Puncheon
Wright-Phillips headed one chance off-target, but he would have been more dismayed to see his cross volleyed over by Bothroyd from seven yards out on 15 minutes.
Before that effort, Best drew a fine save from Kenny after he twisted past Danny Gabbidon, but even though the Newcastle striker boasted of his team's togetherness before kick-off, it was the hosts who were linking well.
Bothroyd failed to capitalise on further opportunities and only Steven Taylor's goal-line header denied Wright-Phillips once he had hurdled Fabricio Coloccini's challenge and chipped towards goal.
The winger did not look like a player who last made a Premier League start a year ago, and he appeared to have enough energy to power the Loftus Road floodlights such was the regularity of his bursts down the right.
Much was made beforehand of Joey Barton's debut against his former employers and the Liverpudlian was announced as the new skipper before kick-off.
But for the most part he was content to offer a more patient approach on the opposite flank.
Wright-Phillips moved back to the left at the start of the second period but mis-kicked a shot from Faurlin's floated pass, following Jonas Gutierrez's fluffed effort at the other end.
Warnock's side lost their impetus at the start of the second half but there were few signs that Newcastle would spoil the west London party under new owner Tony Fernandes.
Bothroyd again could not get on the end of Wright-Phillips' dinked cross and Shaun Derry failed to direct his header from a corner on target.
Danny Simpson was one of Newcastle's best defenders, producing several teasing crosses combined with some good blocks and his manager Alan Pardew would have been satisfied with the clean sheet.
The hosts, meanwhile, will be content that they blooded their new signings even if they did not make the breakthrough they perhaps deserved in the first period.
Newcastle manager Alan Pardew: "I am not disappointed we did not get any more from this game because we did not deserve any more.
"We went with two strikers but with all the exuberance here with all the players they have brought in, maybe I should have helped my central midfielder out.
"Offensively we never created enough to win the game, but on the plus side, defensively we showed what we have been doing all season.
"We don't give much away and there is a spirit in the group that makes it hard for teams to beat us.
"Our flair players were just a little bit off-key tonight. Sometimes when you don't play well, you get beat. We didn't get beaten."
Live text and stats
Monday, 12 September 2011
|Home Team||Score||Away Team||Time|
- 01 Kenny
- 06 Gabbidon
- 13 Traore (Connolly 51)
- 18 Young
- 35 Ferdinand
- 04 Derry yellow card
- 07 Taarabt
- 11 Faurlin
- 17 Barton
- 32 Wright-Phillips (Puncheon 88)
- 10 Bothroyd (Campbell 80)
- 26 Krul
- 02 Coloccini
- 05 Simpson
- 16 R Taylor
- 27 S Taylor yellow card
- 04 Cabaye
- 18 Gutierrez
- 24 Tiote yellow card
- 20 Best (Marveaux 82)
- 23 Sh Ameobi yellow card (Ba 64)
- 25 Obertan (Sa Ameobi 88)
- QPR 50%
- Newcastle 50%
Attempts on target
- QPR 5
- Newcastle 3
Attempts off target
- QPR 9
- Newcastle 5
- QPR 6
- Newcastle 4
- QPR 10
- Newcastle 15
- Final Result
- Full Time
- 90:00+4:08 The final whistle goes and the game is over.
- 90:00+2:03 Free kick awarded for a foul by Sammy Ameobi on Shaun Derry. Free kick taken by Patrick Kenny.
- 90:00+0:51 DJ Campbell is penalised for handball and concedes a free kick. Direct free kick taken by Steven Taylor.
- 86:57 Substitution Jason Puncheon joins the action as a substitute, replacing Shaun Wright-Phillips.
- 86:57 Substitution Gabriel Obertan leaves the field to be replaced by Sammy Ameobi.
- 86:57 Booking Steven Taylor booked.
- 86:31 Unfair challenge on Patrick Kenny by Steven Taylor results in a free kick. Free kick taken by Patrick Kenny.
- 84:51 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Gabriel Obertan by Alejandro Faurlin. Ryan Taylor has an effort direct from the free kick.
- 82:32 Shaun Wright-Phillips has shot on goal from just outside the area which goes wide of the right-hand upright.
- 81:19 Substitution (Newcastle) makes a substitution, with Sylvain Marveaux coming on for Leon Best.
- 81:04 Gabriel Obertan has a headed effort at goal from deep inside the area missing to the right of the target.
- 79:58 DJ Campbell gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Ryan Taylor. Free kick taken by Tim Krul.
- 79:37 Substitution DJ Campbell is brought on as a substitute for Jay Bothroyd.
- 78:13 Short corner worked by Joey Barton.
- 76:35 Foul by Ryan Taylor on Jay Bothroyd, free kick awarded. Shaun Derry takes the direct free kick.
- 76:20 Gabriel Obertan takes a shot. Save by Patrick Kenny.
- 75:41 Alejandro Faurlin takes a shot. Gabriel Obertan gets a block in.
- 74:31 Jonas Gutierrez has an effort at goal from outside the penalty box which goes wide left of the goal.
- 73:15 Unfair challenge on Demba Ba by Daniel Gabbidon results in a free kick. Free kick taken by Ryan Taylor.
- 72:04 Corner taken right-footed by Adel Taarabt from the right by-line, Header by Shaun Derry from deep inside the penalty area misses to the left of the goal.
- 69:59 Effort from inside the six-yard box by Jay Bothroyd goes wide right of the target.
- 67:37 The referee blows for offside against Shaun Wright-Phillips. Tim Krul takes the indirect free kick.
- 66:49 The assistant referee flags for offside against Alejandro Faurlin. Tim Krul restarts play with the free kick.
- 64:44 Corner taken by Joey Barton from the right by-line, Headed effort from deep inside the penalty area by Shaun Derry misses to the left of the goal.
- 64:14 Inswinging corner taken from the left by-line by Adel Taarabt, clearance made by Leon Best.
- 63:09 The ball is swung over by Adel Taarabt, clearance by Leon Best.
- 63:09 Substitution Demba Ba replaces Shola Ameobi.
- 63:09 Booking Cheik Tiote goes into the book for unsporting behaviour.
- 62:42 Cheik Tiote concedes a free kick for a foul on Joey Barton.
- 61:54 Inswinging corner taken right-footed by Yohan Cabaye played to the near post, save by Patrick Kenny.
- 61:38 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Fabricio Coloccini by Jay Bothroyd. Free kick taken by Ryan Taylor.
- 57:47 Fabricio Coloccini fouled by Jay Bothroyd, the ref awards a free kick. Ryan Taylor takes the direct free kick.
- 56:35 Corner taken by Adel Taarabt from the left by-line, Fabricio Coloccini makes a clearance.
- 55:52 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Matthew Connolly by Shola Ameobi. Patrick Kenny takes the free kick.
- 51:03 Shola Ameobi gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Daniel Gabbidon. Direct free kick taken by Patrick Kenny.
- 50:22 Substitution Armand Traore leaves the field to be replaced by Matthew Connolly.
- 49:27 Shaun Wright-Phillips is caught offside. Tim Krul restarts play with the free kick.
- 48:25 Unfair challenge on Danny Simpson by Shaun Wright-Phillips results in a free kick. Danny Simpson takes the direct free kick.
- 45:29 Adel Taarabt takes a shot. Save by Tim Krul.
- 45:01 The second half begins.
- Half Time
- 45:00+3:33 The whistle is blown to end the first half.
- 45:00+3:13 Jonas Gutierrez takes a shot. Anton Ferdinand gets a block in.
- 44:41 Close range headed effort by Leon Best misses to the right of the target.
- 43:06 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Shaun Wright-Phillips by Ryan Taylor. The ball is sent over by Joey Barton, Headed effort from inside the area by Jay Bothroyd misses to the left of the goal.
- 40:49 Free kick awarded for a foul by Yohan Cabaye on Shaun Derry. Free kick taken by Patrick Kenny.
- 39:04 Adel Taarabt challenges Fabricio Coloccini unfairly and gives away a free kick. Tim Krul takes the direct free kick.
- 38:41 Shot by Shaun Wright-Phillips. Blocked by Steven Taylor.
- 35:17 Booking The referee books Shaun Derry for unsporting behaviour.
- 35:02 Shaun Derry concedes a free kick for a foul on Leon Best. Direct free kick taken by Ryan Taylor.
- 34:16 Danny Simpson concedes a free kick for a foul on Jay Bothroyd. Joey Barton restarts play with the free kick.
- 32:13 Shaun Wright-Phillips takes a shot from inside the box clearing the bar.
- 29:40 Joey Barton concedes a free kick for a foul on Danny Simpson. The free kick is delivered right-footed by Ryan Taylor from own half.
- 28:32 Adel Taarabt fouled by Cheik Tiote, the ref awards a free kick. Patrick Kenny restarts play with the free kick.
- Correction - 26:25 Corner taken short by Adel Taarabt, Jay Bothroyd takes a shot. Danny Simpson gets a block in.
- 26:25 Short corner taken by Adel Taarabt from the right by-line, Jay Bothroyd takes a shot. Steven Taylor gets a block in.
- 24:44 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Joey Barton by Cheik Tiote. Joey Barton restarts play with the free kick.
- 23:57 Unfair challenge on Adel Taarabt by Cheik Tiote results in a free kick. Patrick Kenny restarts play with the free kick.
- 16:01 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Daniel Gabbidon by Shola Ameobi. Patrick Kenny takes the direct free kick.
- 15:18 Shaun Wright-Phillips takes a shot from long distance which goes wide of the right-hand post.
- 14:18 Jay Bothroyd produces a right-footed shot from inside the area that goes over the bar.
- 12:48 Outswinging corner taken by Yohan Cabaye from the right by-line played to the near post, clearance by Jay Bothroyd.
- 12:25 Corner taken right-footed by Yohan Cabaye from the left by-line, Daniel Gabbidon manages to make a clearance.
- 12:09 Leon Best takes a shot. Save made by Patrick Kenny.
- 10:35 Jonas Gutierrez delivers the ball. Corner taken short by Yohan Cabaye.
- 9:19 Leon Best gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Daniel Gabbidon. Direct free kick taken by Patrick Kenny.
- 8:29 Header from close range by Shaun Wright-Phillips clears the bar.
- 5:27 Adel Taarabt takes a shot. Tim Krul makes a save.
- 4:36 Joey Barton delivers the ball from the free kick right-footed from right wing.
- 4:36 Booking Shola Ameobi is given a yellow card.
- 4:16 Ryan Taylor gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Shaun Wright-Phillips.
- 2:38 The ball is delivered by Jonas Gutierrez, Anton Ferdinand makes a clearance.
- 1:50 Handball decision goes against Leon Best. Patrick Kenny takes the direct free kick.
- 0:45 Ryan Taylor takes a shot from long range which goes wide right of the target.
- 0:10 Alejandro Faurlin concedes a free kick for a foul on Gabriel Obertan. Ryan Taylor takes the direct free kick.
- 0:00 The referee gets the game started.
Live text and data provided by The Press Association.
Premier League results
Premier League table snapshot