Bolton 0 - 5 Man Utd
Page last updated at 18:27 GMT, Saturday, 10 September 2011 19:27 UK
Wayne Rooney hit a hat-trick and Javier Hernandez scored twice as a rampant Manchester United outclassed Bolton to go top of the Premier League.
The champions took an early lead when Hernandez pounced at the near post.
Rooney converted Phil Jones' cross to make it two, then the England striker profited from another of the defender's runs to add a third.
Hernandez swept in a fourth before Rooney drilled in his third - but Tom Cleverley may have broken his foot.
Crumpling under a heavy challenge from Kevin Davies, the midfielder was replaced midway through the first half.
But it was the only blemish for Sir Alex Ferguson's side after another impeccable performance brought up their 200th away win in the Premier League - the first club to achieve the milestone.
United's last trip to the Reebok Stadium ended in a 2-2 draw almost a year ago, when they had to rely on a late Michael Owen header to salvage a point.
But this encounter was very different as Hernandez, making his first start of the season, gave United the perfect opening.
Showing the superb movement he is renowned for, the Mexico striker lost Gary Cahill with a darting run to the near post to steer in Nani's tantalising low cross from the right.
The goal came while United were temporarily down to 10 men following the injury to Cleverley.
Bolton looked to hit back immediately, but former United midfielder Chris Eagles saw his shot cleared off the line by Rooney.
Despite the high-profile errors United's new goalkeeper David De Gea has made this season, he went some way to silencing his doubters with an impressive flying save from Ivan Klasnic's long-range effort. And the stop ignited United, who made it 2-0 just 74 seconds later.
United's verve and invention overwhelmed Bolton and Rooney doubled United's lead in the 20th minute.
Catching the home side napping, Jones whipped in a devilish cross from the right to Rooney, who found himself between Cahill and Dedryck Boyata before prodding in from close range.
Rooney poured further misery on the home side, making it 3-0 in the 24th minute with a goal engineered by Jones, whose stature is growing with every game.
Exploiting a gaping hole in the home side's defence, Jones' twinkle-toed run took him into the penalty area, before he squared the ball to Rooney to find the back of the net with the easiest of finishes.
With manager Owen Coyle barking instructions from the touchline, Bolton limited United to three in the first half but, while Klasnic and Martin Petrov linked well at times, the home side were painfully short of creativity.
It was only a matter of time before United added to their lead and, two minutes before the hour mark, Hernandez made it 4-0.
Substitute Michael Carrick found the Mexican lurking at the far post and, with the Bolton defence at sea, his low effort had Jussi Jaaskelainen well beaten.
Nigel Reo-Coker struck the crossbar as Bolton desperately looked for a route back into the game but, minutes later, Rooney put the gloss on the win with United's fifth - and his third.
Collecting Nani's cut-back from the right the England striker nonchalantly struck his hat-trick goal from the edge of the box to give him his seventh career treble.
Rooney also becomes the fourth player to score back-to-back Premier League hat-tricks after Les Ferdinand, Ian Wright and Didier Drogba.
Sequels rarely match the original and United's short trip to the Reebok was always likely to pale in comparison to their famous 8-2 mauling of Arsenal a fortnight ago - but United remain the team to beat after another scintillating display.
Live text and stats
Saturday, 10 September 2011
|Home Team||Score||Away Team||Time|
- 22 Jaaskelainen
- 04 Robinson
- 05 Cahill
- 12 Knight
- 25 Boyata
- 07 Eagles (Pratley 61)
- 10 Petrov
- 16 M Davies yellow card
- 19 Reo-Coker
- 14 Davies yellow card (Ngog 65)
- 17 Klasnic (Tuncay 75)
- 01 De Gea
- 03 Evra
- 04 Jones
- 05 Ferdinand
- 06 Evans (Smalling 61)
- 08 Anderson
- 17 Nani
- 18 Young (Giggs 61)
- 23 Cleverley (Carrick 24)
- 10 Rooney
- 14 Hernandez
- Bolton 42%
- Man Utd 58%
Attempts on target
- Bolton 13
- Man Utd 9
Attempts off target
- Bolton 7
- Man Utd 4
- Bolton 5
- Man Utd 7
- Bolton 14
- Man Utd 1
- Final Result
- Full Time
- 90:00+3:07 The game is over, as the referee blows his whistle.
- 90:00+1:47 The referee blows for offside against Javier Hernandez. Indirect free kick taken by Jussi Jaaskelainen.
- 90:00+1:30 Luis Nani takes a shot. Blocked by Javier Hernandez.
- 90:00+0:48 Martin Petrov delivers the ball, Rio Ferdinand manages to make a clearance.
- 89:36 Effort from inside the area by Tuncay Sanli misses to the left of the goal.
- 87:19 Short corner taken by Oliveira Anderson from the right by-line.
- 86:44 Javier Hernandez is flagged offside by the assistant referee. Dedryk Boyata restarts play with the free kick.
- 86:02 Javier Hernandez has an effort at goal from close in which goes wide right of the target.
- 82:59 Tuncay Sanli takes a shot. Save by David De Gea.
- 75:50 The ball is crossed by Martin Petrov, Close range header by Tuncay Sanli goes over the bar.
- 74:01 Substitution Tuncay Sanli on for Ivan Klasnic.
- 73:19 Effort on goal by Martin Petrov from outside the penalty box goes harmlessly over the bar.
- 71:44 Martin Petrov sends in a cross.
- 70:27 Ivan Klasnic takes a shot. Blocked by Michael Carrick.
- 68:38 Wayne Rooney produces a cross.
- 67:04 The assist for the goal came from Luis Nani.
- 67:04 GOAL - Wayne Rooney:Bolton 0 - 5 Man Utd Goal scored by Wayne Rooney from the edge of the penalty box to the bottom left corner of the goal. Bolton 0-5 Man Utd.
- 66:24 David Ngog challenges Chris Smalling unfairly and gives away a free kick. Direct free kick taken by Oliveira Anderson.
- 66:02 The ball is sent over by Ryan Giggs.
- 64:26 Substitution David Ngog on for Kevin Davies.
- 63:47 Darren Pratley takes a shot. Comfortable save by David De Gea.
- 60:01 Substitution Jonathan Evans goes off and Chris Smalling comes on.
- 60:01 Substitution Darren Pratley comes on in place of Chris Eagles.
- 60:01 Substitution Ryan Giggs replaces Ashley Young.
- 59:44 Nigel Reo-Coker takes a shot.
- 59:17 Ivan Klasnic takes a shot. Patrice Evra gets a block in.
- 57:46 Michael Carrick takes a shot. Gary Cahill gets a block in.
- 57:43 Assist by Michael Carrick.
- 57:43 GOAL - Javier Hernandez:Bolton 0 - 4 Man Utd Javier Hernandez scores a goal from close in to the bottom left corner of the goal. Bolton 0-4 Man Utd.
- 57:33 Oliveira Anderson takes a short corner.
- 57:08 Javier Hernandez takes a shot. Blocked by Nigel Reo-Coker.
- 56:56 Martin Petrov takes a shot. Save by David De Gea.
- 56:40 Martin Petrov decides to take a short corner.
- 55:26 Effort on goal by Martin Petrov from just outside the area goes harmlessly over the target.
- 54:53 Ashley Young delivers the ball.
- 54:00 Corner taken right-footed by Ashley Young, Gary Cahill manages to make a clearance.
- 53:06 Unfair challenge on Ashley Young by Gary Cahill results in a free kick. Oliveira Anderson has an effort direct from the free kick, save made by David De Gea.
- 51:51 Oliveira Anderson takes the inswinging corner, clearance by Ivan Klasnic.
- 50:55 Corner taken by Ashley Young, Zat Knight makes a clearance.
- 50:21 Inswinging corner taken from the right by-line by Oliveira Anderson, save made by Jussi Jaaskelainen.
- 49:24 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Ashley Young by Dedryk Boyata. Luis Nani crosses the ball from the free kick right-footed from left wing, save made by Jussi Jaaskelainen.
- 48:57 Kevin Davies takes a shot. Save made by David De Gea.
- 47:30 Ivan Klasnic takes a shot. Save by David De Gea.
- 46:44 Unfair challenge on Michael Carrick by Nigel Reo-Coker results in a free kick. Michael Carrick restarts play with the free kick.
- 45:01 The game restarts for the second half.
- Half Time
- 45:00+4:10 The match has reached half-time.
- 45:00+3:17 Outswinging corner taken from the left by-line by Martin Petrov, Jonathan Evans manages to make a clearance.
- 45:00+3:08 Kevin Davies takes a shot. Blocked by Oliveira Anderson.
- 45:00+2:21 Inswinging corner taken left-footed by Martin Petrov from the right by-line, save by David De Gea.
- 45:00+1:40 Luis Nani produces a left-footed shot from deep inside the penalty box which goes wide of the right-hand upright.
- 39:19 Centre by Paul Robinson.
- 38:22 The ball is delivered by Ashley Young, Header from close in by Javier Hernandez misses to the right of the target.
- 35:44 Patrice Evra challenges Chris Eagles unfairly and gives away a free kick. Dedryk Boyata restarts play with the free kick.
- 33:27 Unfair challenge on Javier Hernandez by Gary Cahill results in a free kick. Direct free kick taken by Oliveira Anderson.
- 33:16 Chris Eagles takes a shot. Blocked by Oliveira Anderson.
- 33:12 Martin Petrov sends in a cross, Jonathan Evans makes a clearance.
- 32:18 Free kick awarded for a foul by Paul Robinson on Phil Jones. Rio Ferdinand restarts play with the free kick.
- 29:31 Martin Petrov delivers the ball.
- 26:53 Javier Hernandez is flagged offside by the assistant referee. Jussi Jaaskelainen restarts play with the free kick.
- 24:23 Assist on the goal came from Phil Jones.
- 24:23 GOAL - Wayne Rooney:Bolton 0 - 3 Man Utd Wayne Rooney grabs a goal from inside the box to the bottom left corner of the goal. Bolton 0-3 Man Utd.
- 24:00 Substitution Michael Carrick replaces Tom Cleverley.
- 21:37 The ball is sent over by Ivan Klasnic, Jonathan Evans manages to make a clearance.
- 20:56 Kevin Davies gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Jonathan Evans. Free kick taken by David De Gea.
- 19:40 Assist on the goal came from Phil Jones.
- 19:40 GOAL - Wayne Rooney:Bolton 0 - 2 Man Utd Wayne Rooney fires in a goal from close in to the bottom left corner of the goal. Bolton 0-2 Man Utd.
- 19:07 Free kick taken by Phil Jones.
- 19:07 Booking Mark Davies receives a yellow card.
- 19:01 Mark Davies challenges Luis Nani unfairly and gives away a free kick.
- 18:23 Ivan Klasnic takes a shot. Save by David De Gea.
- 17:02 Shot from 35 yards by Chris Eagles missed to the left of goal.
- 16:43 Ivan Klasnic takes a shot. David De Gea makes a save.
- 16:01 Corner taken left-footed by Martin Petrov from the right by-line to the near post, clearance by Rio Ferdinand.
- 15:44 Handball decision goes against Javier Hernandez. Jussi Jaaskelainen takes the free kick.
- 15:23 Jonathan Evans fouled by Ivan Klasnic, the ref awards a free kick. Direct free kick taken by Jonathan Evans.
- 14:00 Nigel Reo-Coker challenges Wayne Rooney unfairly and gives away a free kick. The free kick is swung in right-footed by Ashley Young.
- 12:24 The free kick is delivered right-footed by Ashley Young from left wing, clearance by Zat Knight.
- 12:24 Booking Caution for Kevin Davies.
- 12:20 Foul by Kevin Davies on Patrice Evra, free kick awarded.
- 11:35 Oliveira Anderson takes a inswinging corner from the right by-line played to the near post, clearance by Paul Robinson.
- 10:49 Martin Petrov takes a inswinging corner from the right by-line played to the near post, clearance made by Jonathan Evans.
- 8:50 Shot from just outside the box by Ashley Young misses to the right of the goal.
- 7:15 Shot from just outside the area by Martin Petrov misses to the right of the target.
- 6:40 Mark Davies takes a shot. Jonathan Evans gets a block in.
- Correction - 6:32 Chris Eagles takes a shot. Rio Ferdinand gets a block in.
- 6:32 Kevin Davies takes a shot. Blocked by Rio Ferdinand.
- 4:33 Luis Nani provided the assist for the goal.
- 4:33 GOAL - Javier Hernandez:Bolton 0 - 1 Man Utd A goal is scored by Javier Hernandez from close range to the bottom right corner of the goal. Bolton 0-1 Man Utd.
- 3:51 Kevin Davies concedes a free kick for a foul on Tom Cleverley. Oliveira Anderson takes the direct free kick.
- 2:52 Martin Petrov challenges Phil Jones unfairly and gives away a free kick. Free kick taken by Oliveira Anderson.
- 0:46 Free kick awarded for a foul by Chris Eagles on Jonathan Evans. Patrice Evra takes the free kick.
- 0:00 The game kicks-off.
Live text and data provided by The Press Association.
Premier League results
Premier League table snapshot