Man City 3 - 0 Wigan
Page last updated at 15:53 GMT, Saturday, 10 September 2011 16:53 UK
Sergio Aguero scored a hat-trick as Manchester City produced a rampant display against Wigan to lead the Premier League.
City were well on top and had chances before Aguero opened the scoring on 13 minutes by shooting into the corner from David Silva's cutback.
Carlos Tevez had a tame penalty saved and Micah Richards and Vincent Kompany hit the woodwork.
But after the hour mark Aguero tucked in twice to seal victory.
Both the Argentine's second-half goals looked simple in their execution, after he was put clear by Samir Nasri and Silva, but in scoring his fifth and sixth goals of the season, Aguero again underlined his class.
The 23-year-old also signalled that any continued problems with Tevez would have little impact at the club, during a week when quiet has been hard to come by.
Tevez, who was making his first Premier League start this season, was at the heart of much of City's endeavour, despite being stripped of the captaincy this week.
And with Roberto Mancini's side now having scored 15 goals in four games, the display was the perfect way to put football back on the agenda after chief executive Garry Cook resigned following claims he mocked Nedum Onuoha's mother.
On a balmy afternoon with Tevez replacing Edin Dzeko in attack, City were into their stride from the beginning and should have been out of sight by half-time.
Adam Johnson and Silva both went close early on and even Joleon Lescott inadvertently deflected Kompany's header over, before Tevez helped create City's opener.
SERGIO AGUERO'S GOALSContinue reading the main story
- Hat-trick as City beat Wigan
- One goal in 5-1 win against Tottenham
- Scores twice on debut as City hit four past Swansea
The Argentine fed Silva, who in turn cut the ball back to Aguero, with City's newest South American striker tucking into the bottom corner.
Tevez could then have capped his return to the side with a goal after Silva was upended in the penalty box, but his spot-kick was poor and Ali Al-Habsi saved to his right.
In between those events, Franco Di Santo got on the end of Maynor Figueroa's through ball, and with Joe Hart stranded in no-man's land, the keeper was relieved to see the ball bounce past the post.
But City were dominant and Richards should have scored when latching onto Tevez's through ball, but the England defender hit the underside of the bar.
New City skipper Kompany then thumped a header from a corner against the post, and when Richards smashed the rebound across goal, somehow Lescott missed from two yards.
There were countless other chances but while the scoreline remained at 1-0 Di Santo caused some nervous moments in the hosts' defence.
Although Hart also looked shaky when he failed to grasp Hugo Rodallega's effort after a fine run by Victor Moses early in the second half, it was not long until City finally yielded the rewards their superiority deserved.
Tevez was replaced by Nasri just after the hour and within two minutes the former Arsenal midfielder had set up City's second goal.
Silva was involved again, as his drag-back teed up Nasri, and the Frenchman's poke set Aguero through for his fifth of the season.
That soon became six when Silva had acres to watch his team-mates' angled run, and Aguero simply slotted past a helpless Al-Habsi to seal the points.
Coming into the game Wigan had an unbeaten run of seven games going back to last season, but they had little chance of maintaining that record.
City, meanwhile, make their Champions League debut on Wednesday, and based on this evidence their opponents - Napoli - will have plenty to consider.
Live text and stats
Saturday, 10 September 2011
|Home Team||Score||Away Team||Time|
- 25 Hart
- 02 Richards
- 04 Kompany
- 06 Lescott
- 22 Clichy
- 07 Milner
- 11 Johnson
- 21 Silva
- 42 Y Toure (Razak 80)
- 16 Aguero (Balotelli 71)
- 32 Tevez (Nasri 61)
- 26 Al Habsi
- 05 Caldwell
- 17 Boyce (Stam 60)
- 24 Lopez
- 31 Figueroa
- 08 Watson (Crusat 70)
- 11 Moses
- 16 McArthur
- 21 Diame
- 09 Di Santo (Gomez 70)
- 20 Rodallega
- Man City 59%
- Wigan 41%
Attempts on target
- Man City 10
- Wigan 5
Attempts off target
- Man City 13
- Wigan 4
- Man City 8
- Wigan 3
- Man City 6
- Wigan 9
- Final Result
- Full Time
- 90:00+3:02 The referee signals the end of the game.
- 90:00+1:37 Mario Balotelli is caught offside. Adrian Lopez takes the direct free kick.
- 89:07 The ball is crossed by Victor Moses, Vincent Kompany gets a block in.
- 87:48 Adam Johnson has an effort from just inside the box that misses to the left of the target.
- 85:46 Samir Nasri is caught offside. Indirect free kick taken by Adrian Lopez.
- 85:03 Shot from deep inside the area by Micah Richards clears the bar.
- 81:26 Adam Johnson decides to take the corner short.
- 79:59 Foul by Abdul Razak on Albert Crusat, free kick awarded. Free kick taken by Mohamed Diame.
- 79:21 Substitution Abdul Razak replaces Gnegneri Toure Yaya.
- 76:01 Victor Moses takes a shot. Vincent Kompany gets a block in.
- 74:33 The ball is swung over by Micah Richards.
- 73:27 David Silva fouled by Mohamed Diame, the ref awards a free kick. Free kick taken by Gnegneri Toure Yaya.
- 73:07 Adam Johnson takes a shot. Ali Al Habsi makes a save.
- 72:43 Samir Nasri decides to take a short corner.
- 72:01 Mohamed Diame challenges Adam Johnson unfairly and gives away a free kick. Direct free kick taken by David Silva.
- 70:33 Substitution Mario Balotelli joins the action as a substitute, replacing Sergio Aguero.
- 69:07 Substitution Ben Watson goes off and Albert Crusat comes on.
- 69:07 Substitution Jordi Gomez on for Franco Di Santo.
- 68:20 Assist on the goal came from David Silva.
- 68:20 GOAL - Sergio Aguero:Man City 3 - 0 Wigan Sergio Aguero grabs a goal from just inside the penalty area to the bottom right corner of the goal. Man City 3-0 Wigan.
- 66:59 Corner taken by Ben Watson, Micah Richards makes a clearance.
- 66:43 Ronnie Stam produces a cross, clearance by Vincent Kompany.
- 62:36 Samir Nasri provided the assist for the goal.
- 62:36 GOAL - Sergio Aguero:Man City 2 - 0 Wigan Sergio Aguero finds the back of the net with a goal from the edge of the area to the bottom right corner of the goal. Man City 2-0 Wigan.
- 60:08 Gary Caldwell takes the free kick.
- 60:08 Substitution Samir Nasri on for Carlos Tevez.
- 60:08 Gnegneri Toure Yaya gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Mohamed Diame.
- 59:09 Corner taken short by Ben Watson.
- 59:09 Substitution Emmerson Boyce goes off and Ronnie Stam comes on.
- 58:37 Hugo Rodallega takes a shot. Save by Joe Hart.
- 56:05 The ball is crossed by Gael Clichy.
- 54:53 Franco Di Santo gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Vincent Kompany. Joe Hart takes the free kick.
- 52:39 David Silva produces a left-footed shot from just outside the box that misses to the right of the net.
- 52:25 Short corner taken by Carlos Tevez.
- Correction - 52:04 Sergio Aguero takes a shot. Blocked by Gary Caldwell.
- 52:04 Sergio Aguero takes a shot.
- 51:11 Victor Moses takes a shot. Blocked by Vincent Kompany.
- 50:13 James Milner takes a shot. Blocked by Adrian Lopez.
- 47:27 Maynor Figueroa fouled by Joleon Lescott, the ref awards a free kick. Indirect free kick taken by Ali Al Habsi.
- 46:56 James Milner decides to take a short corner.
- 46:29 Carlos Tevez takes a shot. Save made by Ali Al Habsi.
- 45:01 The game restarts for the second half.
- Half Time
- 45:00+2:17 The referee calls an end to the first half.
- 45:00+0:35 Hugo Rodallega fouled by Micah Richards, the ref awards a free kick. Maynor Figueroa restarts play with the free kick.
- 44:47 Gary Caldwell gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on David Silva. Direct free kick taken by Gnegneri Toure Yaya.
- 42:41 Long distance effort on goal by Maynor Figueroa goes wide left of the target.
- 42:03 Hugo Rodallega takes a shot. Blocked by Vincent Kompany.
- 39:36 Gnegneri Toure Yaya takes a shot from deep inside the box clearing the bar.
- 35:44 Victor Moses fouled by Joleon Lescott, the ref awards a free kick. The ball is delivered by Ben Watson, Victor Moses has a headed effort at goal from close range which goes wide left of the target.
- 34:55 Gnegneri Toure Yaya takes a shot.
- 34:11 Corner taken by James Milner from the right by-line, Vincent Kompany takes a shot.
- 33:19 Carlos Tevez produces a right-footed shot from outside the penalty box and misses wide left of the target.
- 32:50 Effort by Mohamed Diame from a long way out goes over the target.
- 32:37 Hugo Rodallega takes a shot. Vincent Kompany gets a block in.
- 28:02 Sergio Aguero has shot on goal from just outside the penalty box which goes wide of the right-hand upright.
- 27:11 Micah Richards takes a shot.
- 25:54 Free kick awarded for a foul by James McArthur on Gnegneri Toure Yaya. Direct free kick taken by Vincent Kompany.
- 25:39 The ball is crossed by Emmerson Boyce.
- 24:18 Outswinging corner taken from the right by-line by Victor Moses.
- 22:34 Corner taken right-footed by James Milner from the right by-line to the near post, Adam Johnson takes a shot from just outside the penalty area clears the crossbar.
- 22:26 Adam Johnson sends in a cross, Gary Caldwell makes a clearance.
- 22:01 Gael Clichy takes a shot. Blocked by Gary Caldwell.
- 21:31 James Milner decides to take a short corner.
- 21:02 Hugo Rodallega gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Vincent Kompany. Free kick taken by Gnegneri Toure Yaya.
- 20:26 Effort from the edge of the box by Sergio Aguero goes wide of the right-hand upright.
- Correction - 18:02 Placed penalty taken by Carlos Tevez saved by Ali Al Habsi. Man City 1-0 Wigan.
- 18:02 Penalty taken by Carlos Tevez is saved by Ali Al Habsi. Man City 1-0 Wigan.
- Correction - 17:21 Unfair challenge on David Silva by Adrian Lopez results in a Penalty.
- 17:21 Foul by Adrian Lopez on David Silva, Penalty awarded.
- 14:43 Franco Di Santo has an effort at goal from the edge of the box that misses to the right of the target.
- 12:26 David Silva provided the assist for the goal.
- 12:26 GOAL - Sergio Aguero:Man City 1 - 0 Wigan Sergio Aguero gets on the score sheet with a goal from the edge of the penalty box to the bottom left corner of the goal. Man City 1-0 Wigan.
- 11:10 Outswinging corner taken by Adam Johnson, Vincent Kompany takes a shot. Blocked by Joleon Lescott.
- 11:01 Gael Clichy delivers the ball, clearance made by Adrian Lopez.
- 9:21 David Silva takes a shot. Save by Ali Al Habsi.
- 7:42 Foul by James McArthur on Micah Richards, free kick awarded. Indirect free kick taken by Joe Hart.
- 6:25 Free kick awarded for a foul by James McArthur on Micah Richards. Joe Hart restarts play with the free kick.
- 4:55 Shot on goal by Adam Johnson from just inside the area clears the crossbar.
- 4:24 David Silva takes a shot. Blocked by Emmerson Boyce.
- 3:37 Franco Di Santo fouled by Vincent Kompany, the ref awards a free kick. Direct free kick taken by Maynor Figueroa.
- 0:00 The referee gets the game underway.
Live text and data provided by The Press Association.
Premier League results
Premier League table snapshot