Liverpool 3 - 1 Bolton
Page last updated at 18:55 GMT, Saturday, 27 August 2011 19:55 UK
Jordan Henderson and Charlie Adam scored their first goals for Liverpool as they went top of the Premier League with a deserved victory over Bolton.
Defender Martin Skrtel netted their other goal, a powerful close-range header from Adam's whipped corner.
Henderson opened the scoring by curling a left-footed strike into the top corner of the net, while Adam found the target with a low shot from 18 yards.
Bolton scored a consolation through Ivan Klasnic's close-range strike.
In the corresponding fixture last season on New Year's Day, Liverpool were in the midst of a crisis. Roy Hodgson was in charge and the public voted with their feet as just 35,400 turned up - their lowest Premier League attendance for almost seven years.
Fernando Torres scored his last goal for Liverpool at Anfield that day, and after a 3-1 defeat at Blackburn four days later, Hodgson was sacked with the Reds 12th in the table, and Kenny Dalglish installed in temporary charge.
Less than eight months later, the mini-revolution under "King Kenny" is well under way.
Torres may have left, but in Luis Suarez the Kop have a new hero and with new signings Henderson, Stewart Downing and Adam all influential against Bolton, there is every reason to believe they have the nucleus of a side that is capable of firing them into the Champions League and beyond.
All three were superb against Bolton, as was Suarez, and victory was thoroughly deserved and superbly achieved with steel in defence, craft in midfield and menace in attack.
Bolton offered the occasional glimpse going forward, with Martin Petrov's volley palmed behind by Pepe Reina and Mark Davies' tame shot easily collected by the Spanish keeper.
But by and large the first half was one-way traffic, with Liverpool the dominant force.
Downing could have got Liverpool off to a flyer only for his control to let him down at the crucial point, but it was not long before the deadlock was broken and the former Middlesbrough winger was again involved.
Suarez sent over a fine cross from the left flank with the outside of his right foot and Downing met it with a stunning volley that Jussi Jaaskelainen superbly kept out at full stretch.
But the pressure was relentless and the ball fell to Henderson, who at the second attempt found the top right-hand corner of the net from 12 yards with a fine left-footed curling strike.
Petrov then had Bolton's best chance of the half before Jaaskelainen prevented Suarez from getting on the scoresheet, while Dirk Kuyt was inches away from making it 2-0.
Suarez's movement was a constant menace to Bolton and the Uruguayan was found by Adam with a fine ball over the top which he latched onto with ease.
However, having done the hard bit in beating Bolton's offside trap, he casually dinked the ball over Jaaskelainen's crossbar from 18 yards when one on one with the keeper.
Davies then went on a surging run through the heart of Liverpool's midfield from his own half but his dragged shot from the edge of the area was straight at Reina.
Substitute Skrtel - on for Martin Kelly - doubled Liverpool's lead minutes after the break, powerfully heading in Adam's whipped corner from close range.
A minute later it was 3-0, with Adam joining Henderson in scoring his first goal for the club, beating Jaaskelainen from the edge of the area with a low right-footed shot that found the corner of the net.
Liverpool were then denied a penalty when Zat Knight tripped Suarez with his hands but with the game all but over, the intensity dropped considerably.
Klasnic saw his effort well blocked by Skrtel but Bolton did manage a late consolation.
And it was Klasnic who scored it, beating Reina from close range after Jamie Carragher's mistake let Petrov in.
Live text and stats
Saturday, 27 August 2011
|Home Team||Score||Away Team||Time|
- 25 Reina
- 03 Jose Enrique
- 05 Agger
- 23 Carragher
- 34 Kelly (Skrtel 30)
- 14 Henderson (Maxi 76)
- 19 Downing
- 21 Lucas
- 26 Adam
- 07 Suarez (Carroll 76)
- 18 Kuyt
- 22 Jaaskelainen
- 02 Steinsson yellow card
- 04 Robinson
- 05 Cahill
- 12 Knight
- 06 Muamba (M Davies 26)
- 07 Eagles (Tuncay 56)
- 10 Petrov
- 19 Reo-Coker
- 14 Davies (Pratley 71)
- 17 Klasnic yellow card
- Liverpool 60%
- Bolton 40%
Attempts on target
- Liverpool 9
- Bolton 4
Attempts off target
- Liverpool 8
- Bolton 3
- Liverpool 12
- Bolton 6
- Liverpool 5
- Bolton 7
- Final Result
- Full Time
- 90:00+2:19 The referee signals the end of the game.
- 90:00+1:10 GOAL - Ivan Klasnic:Liverpool 3 - 1 Bolton Ivan Klasnic finds the back of the net with a goal from close in low into the middle of the goal. Liverpool 3-1 Bolton.
- 89:24 A cross is delivered by Sanchez Jose Enrique.
- 87:24 Effort from the edge of the area by Stewart Downing goes wide of the right-hand upright.
- 86:39 The ball is swung over by Sanchez Jose Enrique, clearance made by Gary Cahill.
- 85:59 Nigel Reo-Coker challenges Stewart Downing unfairly and gives away a free kick. Sanchez Jose Enrique takes the direct free kick.
- 84:51 Long range shot by Nigel Reo-Coker goes wide right of the goal.
- 83:45 Nigel Reo-Coker produces a cross, clearance made by Martin Skrtel.
- 83:35 Centre by Martin Petrov.
- 83:26 Corner taken short by Tuncay Sanli.
- 83:22 The ball is delivered by Martin Petrov, Sanchez Jose Enrique manages to make a clearance.
- 81:29 The ball is sent over by Tuncay Sanli, Jose Reina makes a save.
- 80:45 Effort from the edge of the box by Andrew Carroll goes wide of the right-hand upright.
- 80:26 A cross is delivered by Dirk Kuyt, clearance made by Paul Robinson.
- 79:49 Inswinging corner taken by Charlie Adam, clearance made by Zat Knight.
- 78:25 Stewart Downing produces a cross.
- 77:18 A cross is delivered by Martin Petrov, clearance made by Sanchez Jose Enrique.
- 75:30 Substitution (Liverpool) makes a substitution, with Rodriguez Maxi coming on for Jordan Henderson.
- 75:30 Substitution Luis Suarez leaves the field to be replaced by Andrew Carroll.
- 74:48 Corner taken by Charlie Adam played to the near post, clearance by Ivan Klasnic.
- 74:12 Stewart Downing produces a cross, Gretar Rafn Steinsson gets a block in.
- 73:15 The ball is sent over by Sanchez Jose Enrique, Zat Knight makes a clearance.
- 72:06 Luis Suarez concedes a free kick for a foul on Zat Knight. Jussi Jaaskelainen takes the free kick.
- 71:43 Gretar Rafn Steinsson crosses the ball, save by Jose Reina.
- 70:33 Substitution Darren Pratley on for Kevin Davies.
- 70:16 Daniel Agger has an effort at goal from outside the penalty box missing to the wide right of the target.
- 69:41 Nigel Reo-Coker concedes a free kick for a foul on Dirk Kuyt. Jose Reina takes the free kick.
- 69:10 The assistant referee signals for offside against Luis Suarez. Gary Cahill takes the free kick.
- 66:53 Centre by Martin Petrov, clearance made by Jamie Carragher.
- 66:44 The ball is sent over by Gretar Rafn Steinsson, Martin Skrtel makes a clearance.
- 65:16 Martin Petrov delivers the ball, Daniel Agger makes a clearance.
- 63:25 Corner taken by Martin Petrov from the left by-line, clearance by Dirk Kuyt.
- 63:16 Ivan Klasnic takes a shot. Blocked by Daniel Agger.
- 60:43 Foul by Gary Cahill on Dirk Kuyt, free kick awarded. Charlie Adam takes the free kick.
- 59:55 Sanchez Jose Enrique delivers the ball, Gary Cahill manages to make a clearance.
- 57:46 Corner from the left by-line taken by Stewart Downing, Zat Knight manages to make a clearance.
- 57:02 Inswinging corner taken left-footed by Charlie Adam, Zat Knight makes a clearance.
- 56:54 Stewart Downing takes a shot. Gretar Rafn Steinsson gets a block in.
- 55:51 Substitution Tuncay Sanli on for Chris Eagles.
- 55:31 Effort from close range by Luis Suarez goes wide left of the target.
- 54:12 The ball is crossed by Sanchez Jose Enrique, Dirk Kuyt has a headed effort from close in and clears the bar.
- 53:52 Short corner taken by Stewart Downing from the left by-line.
- 53:39 Foul by Martin Skrtel on Ivan Klasnic, free kick awarded. Nigel Reo-Coker restarts play with the free kick.
- 52:41 Assist by Dirk Kuyt.
- 52:41 GOAL - Charlie Adam:Liverpool 3 - 0 Bolton Charlie Adam scores a goal from just outside the penalty box to the bottom left corner of the goal. Liverpool 3-0 Bolton.
- 51:16 Assist by Charlie Adam.
- 51:16 GOAL - Martin Skrtel:Liverpool 2 - 0 Bolton Martin Skrtel finds the back of the net with a headed goal from close in. Liverpool 2-0 Bolton.
- 50:51 Corner taken by Charlie Adam,
- 50:28 Charlie Adam takes a shot. Gretar Rafn Steinsson gets a block in.
- 49:42 Stewart Downing produces a cross, Chris Eagles makes a clearance.
- 49:23 Stewart Downing decides to take a short corner.
- 49:16 The ball is delivered by Jordan Henderson, save made by Jussi Jaaskelainen.
- 49:11 The ball is sent over by Jordan Henderson, Gary Cahill makes a clearance.
- 48:27 Direct free kick taken by Martin Skrtel.
- 48:27 Booking Ivan Klasnic receives a caution.
- 48:13 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Leiva Lucas by Ivan Klasnic.
- 47:29 Martin Skrtel crosses the ball, Gary Cahill manages to make a clearance.
- 45:01 The referee starts the second half.
- Half Time
- 45:00+1:39 It is the end of the first-half.
- 44:04 Jordan Henderson takes the inswinging corner, Jussi Jaaskelainen makes a save.
- 43:08 Jordan Henderson crosses the ball in from the free kick, Ivan Klasnic makes a clearance.
- 43:08 Booking Gretar Rafn Steinsson goes into the referee's book for unsporting behaviour.
- 42:45 Gretar Rafn Steinsson is penalised for a handball.
- 42:06 Unfair challenge on Stewart Downing by Kevin Davies results in a free kick. Sanchez Jose Enrique takes the direct free kick.
- 40:04 Shot on goal by Dirk Kuyt from just inside the area goes over the target.
- 39:04 Unfair challenge on Chris Eagles by Charlie Adam results in a free kick. The free kick is delivered right-footed by Chris Eagles from right wing, clearance made by Daniel Agger.
- 38:32 Mark Davies takes a shot. Comfortable save by Jose Reina.
- 36:13 Foul by Charlie Adam on Gary Cahill, free kick awarded. Free kick taken by Jussi Jaaskelainen.
- 34:29 Dirk Kuyt takes a shot. Comfortable save by Jussi Jaaskelainen.
- 32:32 Corner taken left-footed by Martin Petrov from the left by-line, Effort from deep inside the area by Gretar Rafn Steinsson misses to the right of the goal.
- 32:06 The offside flag is raised against Luis Suarez. Indirect free kick taken by Jussi Jaaskelainen.
- 30:28 Corner taken by Martin Petrov, Header on goal by Kevin Davies from inside the box goes harmlessly over the target.
- 29:00 Direct free kick taken by Jussi Jaaskelainen.
- 29:00 Substitution Martin Skrtel on for Martin Kelly.
- 29:00 Foul by Luis Suarez on Gretar Rafn Steinsson, free kick awarded.
- 27:01 Martin Petrov produces a cross.
- 25:11 Substitution Mark Davies on for Fabrice Muamba.
- 24:54 The ball is sent over by Nigel Reo-Coker.
- 23:47 Luis Suarez produces a right-footed shot from just outside the area that goes harmlessly over the target.
- 22:01 Short corner taken by Charlie Adam. A cross is delivered by Sanchez Jose Enrique, Daniel Agger takes a shot. Save by Jussi Jaaskelainen.
- 21:44 The ball is crossed by Jordan Henderson, Zat Knight manages to make a clearance.
- 19:00 Long range shot by Charlie Adam goes wide right of the target.
- 18:56 A cross is delivered by Stewart Downing.
- 18:12 Gretar Rafn Steinsson delivers the ball.
- 17:42 Corner taken by Martin Petrov from the left by-line, Daniel Agger makes a clearance.
- 17:25 Chris Eagles sends in a cross, Shot from 18 yards from Martin Petrov. Save by Jose Reina.
- 16:25 The ball is swung over by Gretar Rafn Steinsson, Jamie Carragher makes a clearance.
- 14:26 Assist by Dirk Kuyt.
- 14:26 GOAL - Jordan Henderson:Liverpool 1 - 0 Bolton Jordan Henderson gets on the score sheet with a goal from just inside the penalty area to the top left corner of the goal. Liverpool 1-0 Bolton.
- 14:21 Stewart Downing takes a shot. Save made by Jussi Jaaskelainen.
- 12:32 Charlie Adam fouled by Nigel Reo-Coker, the ref awards a free kick. Direct free kick taken by Leiva Lucas.
- 8:27 Jordan Henderson is ruled offside. Jussi Jaaskelainen takes the free kick.
- 7:45 Outswinging corner taken left-footed by Stewart Downing played to the near post, clearance by Ivan Klasnic.
- 7:20 Inswinging corner taken from the right by-line by Charlie Adam, save by Jussi Jaaskelainen.
- 6:48 Martin Petrov takes a outswinging corner to the near post, Charlie Adam makes a clearance.
- 5:28 A cross is delivered by Sanchez Jose Enrique, save made by Jussi Jaaskelainen.
- 5:05 Jordan Henderson takes a outswinging corner from the left by-line to the near post, clearance made by Ivan Klasnic.
- Correction - 4:58 Centre by Stewart Downing, Gretar Rafn Steinsson gets a block in.
- 4:58 A cross is delivered by Stewart Downing, Zat Knight gets a block in.
- 2:37 Nigel Reo-Coker challenges Luis Suarez unfairly and gives away a free kick. Charlie Adam shoots direct from the free kick.
- 0:00 The match gets underway.
Live text and data provided by The Press Association.
Premier League results
Premier League table snapshot