Wigan 2 - 0 QPR
Page last updated at 13:23 GMT, Saturday, 27 August 2011 14:23 UK
Wigan extended their best start to a Premier League season to three unbeaten games as Franco Di Santo's brace gave them victory over QPR.
The Argentine volleyed home in the first half and found the top corner with a deflected drive in the second to give the Latics a deserved win.
They didn't have it all their own way, though, as QPR's Adel Taarabt twice struck the same post in the first half.
Bruno Perone also hit the woodwork from a second-half Taarabt corner.
Wigan's victory brings a successful end to their early-season trilogy of games against the newly promoted sides, following draws with Norwich and Swansea.
For the large part this was an intriguing contest between two closely matched sides.
The difference between the two, and what may ultimately prove decisive over the course of the season, is that Wigan have a broader and more incisive threat in attack in the form of Victor Moses, Hugo Rodallega and goalscorer Di Santo, who was busy throughout and brilliant when it mattered.
His first goal, four minutes before the break, was a masterclass in technique as he flicked up a pass from Moses and hammered a volley, which grazed Shaun Derry's hand en route, past Paddy Kenny from 25 yards.
For his second he initially frustrated strike-partner Rodallega by taking the ball off his foot on the edge of the area, but then wipe away the Colombian's chagrin by planting a drive in the top corner courtesy of a decisive deflection off Perone's back.
Moses was equally busy and almost scored himself early in the first half courtesy of a mini-demonstration of his own skill, as he jinked past two defenders before flashing his shot across goal.
MATCH ANALYSISContinue reading the main story
"I particularly enjoyed Wigan's football. Fourteen passes in the build-up to the first goal. Di Santo, Rodallega & Moses a front-three handful."
In contrast to their hosts, QPR rely primarily on the threat of the mercurial Taarabt.
The Moroccan led the Hoops' fight at the DW, twice hitting the post in the first half - firstly from a superb 20-yard curling shot and then via a deflected free-kick from 35 yards, which Ali Al Habsi palmed onto the woodwork - but they cannot rely on him alone.
New signing Joey Barton was consigned to the stands after he signed too late to feature, but it is clear to see how his drive will improve Rangers' midfield.
In a tame second-half performance, the visitors managed only a handful of meaningful efforts, the best of which Perone headed against the bar from a corner.
Wigan manager Roberto Martinez:
"It's important to get that first win. We knew we needed a good start and it's been pleasing to see how we're working and the competitive edge we have.
"In football you should never be happy with what you've got and there are things we need to work on. But it's pleasing that our three performances have shown us getting stronger.
"It's more than just the goals with Franco. He is going through a maturity process but the way he works for the team is very valuable. The front three are starting to show good association between them."
QPR manager Neil Warnock:
"I think Di Santo should buy a lottery ticket tonight, having both goals going in off deflections.
"We've had a bit of short change but I can't fault the lads, they given me everything today. It just didn't go for us.
"I'm pleased with the effort they put in today. I thought they were fantastic and I told them I couldn't ask for more. If we'd scored first we'd have won the game."
Live text and stats
Saturday, 27 August 2011
|Home Team||Score||Away Team||Time|
- 26 Al Habsi
- 05 Caldwell yellow card
- 17 Boyce
- 24 Lopez yellow card
- 31 Figueroa
- 08 Watson
- 11 Moses (McArthur 69)
- 14 Gomez (Stam 85)
- 21 Diame
- 09 Di Santo (Sammon 69)
- 20 Rodallega
- 01 Kenny
- 05 Hall (Harryman 61)
- 06 Gabbidon
- 15 Perone
- 16 Connolly
- 04 Derry
- 07 Taarabt
- 11 Faurlin
- 14 Buzsaky (Bothroyd 72)
- 19 Agyemang
- 21 Smith (Andrade 80)
- Wigan 52%
- QPR 48%
Attempts on target
- Wigan 10
- QPR 9
Attempts off target
- Wigan 3
- QPR 10
- Wigan 8
- QPR 7
- Wigan 13
- QPR 8
- Final Result
- Full Time
- 90:00+3:40 The referee brings the game to a close.
- 90:00+3:17 Hugo Rodallega takes a shot. Save by Patrick Kenny.
- 90:00+1:45 Jay Bothroyd has an effort at goal from the edge of the area that misses to the right of the target.
- 90:00+0:51 Adel Taarabt has an effort at goal from outside the penalty box missing to the wide right of the goal.
- 89:44 Unfair challenge on Shaun Derry by Ben Watson results in a free kick. Direct free kick taken by Daniel Gabbidon.
- 88:19 Effort from outside the area by Matthew Connolly goes wide right of the goal.
- 87:27 Bruno Andrade sends in a cross.
- 86:26 Corner taken right-footed by Adel Taarabt from the left by-line, Gary Caldwell makes a clearance.
- 84:53 Substitution Ronnie Stam comes on in place of Jordi Gomez.
- 84:01 Corner taken by Ben Watson from the left by-line played to the near post, clearance made by Shaun Derry.
- 83:09 Long range shot from Adel Taarabt misses to the left of the target.
- Correction - 82:52 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Jay Bothroyd by Maynor Figueroa. Direct free kick taken by Shaun Derry.
- 82:52 Foul by Maynor Figueroa on Jay Bothroyd, free kick awarded. Shaun Derry restarts play with the free kick.
- 79:20 Substitution Bruno Andrade joins the action as a substitute, replacing Tommy Smith.
- 77:49 Corner taken by Adel Taarabt from the left by-line, Jay Bothroyd takes a shot. Comfortable save by Ali Al Habsi.
- 76:55 Adel Taarabt fires a strike on goal direct from the free kick, save made by Ali Al Habsi.
- 76:55 Booking Gary Caldwell shown a yellow card.
- 76:48 Patrick Agyemang fouled by Gary Caldwell, the ref awards a free kick.
- 76:19 Shot from long range by Ben Watson misses to the right of the target.
- 74:40 Outswinging corner taken right-footed by Adel Taarabt, Adrian Lopez makes a clearance. Adel Taarabt takes the outswinging corner, Bruno Perone takes a shot.
- 74:10 Jay Bothroyd takes a shot. Save by Ali Al Habsi.
- 73:38 Free kick awarded for a foul by Adrian Lopez on Jay Bothroyd. Shaun Derry takes the direct free kick.
- 73:11 Adel Taarabt takes a shot. Jordi Gomez gets a block in.
- 71:22 Free kick taken by Patrick Kenny.
- 71:22 Substitution Akos Buzsaky goes off and Jay Bothroyd comes on.
- 71:22 The referee blows for offside against Conor Sammon.
- 67:59 Direct free kick taken by Patrick Kenny.
- 67:59 Substitution (Wigan) makes a substitution, with Conor Sammon coming on for Franco Di Santo.
- 67:59 Substitution James McArthur replaces Victor Moses.
- 67:59 Unfair challenge on Patrick Agyemang by Jordi Gomez results in a free kick.
- 67:36 Jordi Gomez takes a short corner.
- 67:07 Victor Moses takes a shot. Blocked by Bruno Perone.
- 65:21 Assist on the goal came from Emmerson Boyce.
- 65:21 GOAL - Franco Di Santo:Wigan 2 - 0 QPR Goal scored by Franco Di Santo from just outside the area to the top left corner of the goal. Wigan 2-0 QPR.
- 64:18 Akos Buzsaky has an effort at goal from outside the penalty box which goes wide left of the goal.
- 62:41 Alejandro Faurlin challenges Jordi Gomez unfairly and gives away a free kick. Free kick taken by Gary Caldwell.
- 60:45 Substitution Fitz Hall goes off and Michael Harriman comes on.
- 60:33 The ball is delivered by Tommy Smith, clearance by Gary Caldwell.
- 60:07 The ball is delivered by Emmerson Boyce.
- 58:47 Franco Di Santo takes a shot. Save made by Patrick Kenny.
- 58:18 A cross is delivered by Jordi Gomez, Bruno Perone manages to make a clearance.
- 58:02 Corner taken short by Jordi Gomez.
- 57:37 Jordi Gomez takes a shot. Shaun Derry gets a block in.
- 56:19 The ball is crossed by Alejandro Faurlin, clearance by Gary Caldwell.
- 54:32 Matthew Connolly gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Franco Di Santo. Jordi Gomez produces a strike on goal direct from the free kick.
- 50:29 Adel Taarabt fouled by Emmerson Boyce, the ref awards a free kick. Direct free kick taken by Patrick Kenny.
- 48:23 Effort from the edge of the penalty box by Adel Taarabt goes wide of the right-hand upright.
- 45:17 Gary Caldwell gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Adel Taarabt. Akos Buzsaky has a direct shot on goal from the free kick, blocked by Franco Di Santo.
- 45:01 The second half has started.
- Half Time
- 45:00+2:40 The ref blows to signal half-time.
- 45:00+2:20 Short corner taken by Ben Watson.
- 45:00+1:45 Jordi Gomez takes a shot. Fitz Hall gets a block in.
- 45:00+0:46 Alejandro Faurlin fouled by Gary Caldwell, the ref awards a free kick. Adel Taarabt produces a shot on goal direct from the free kick, save by Ali Al Habsi.
- 43:22 Patrick Agyemang takes a shot. Adrian Lopez gets a block in.
- 40:06 Assist on the goal came from Hugo Rodallega.
- 40:06 GOAL - Franco Di Santo:Wigan 1 - 0 QPR Franco Di Santo fires in a goal from just outside the area to the top right corner of the goal. Wigan 1-0 QPR.
- 36:42 Victor Moses takes a shot. Save by Patrick Kenny.
- 33:14 Adel Taarabt takes a shot. Ben Watson gets a block in.
- 32:29 Direct free kick taken by Akos Buzsaky.
- 32:29 Booking Adrian Lopez goes into the referee's book.
- 32:19 Adrian Lopez gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Adel Taarabt.
- 30:32 Unfair challenge on Tommy Smith by Maynor Figueroa results in a free kick. Patrick Kenny restarts play with the free kick.
- 29:09 The ball is sent over by Ben Watson, save made by Patrick Kenny.
- 28:47 Ben Watson decides to take a short corner.
- 27:51 Bruno Perone concedes a free kick for a foul on Hugo Rodallega. Ben Watson restarts play with the free kick.
- 26:25 Victor Moses concedes a free kick for a foul on Patrick Agyemang. Direct free kick taken by Patrick Kenny.
- 26:04 Corner taken by Jordi Gomez, save made by Patrick Kenny.
- 25:41 Franco Di Santo has an effort at goal from 12 yards. Save made by Ali Al Habsi.
- 24:52 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Maynor Figueroa by Tommy Smith. Direct free kick taken by Hugo Rodallega.
- 24:00 Bruno Perone has a header from inside the six-yard box and clears the crossbar.
- 23:30 Inswinging corner taken by Adel Taarabt, clearance by Gary Caldwell.
- 22:49 Tommy Smith fouled by Ben Watson, the ref awards a free kick. Free kick taken by Adel Taarabt.
- 19:45 Inswinging corner taken right-footed by Ben Watson from the left by-line, Fitz Hall makes a clearance.
- 17:52 Shaun Derry gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Hugo Rodallega. Jordi Gomez takes the free kick.
- 14:02 Corner taken right-footed by Adel Taarabt from the right by-line, save by Ali Al Habsi.
- 13:12 Patrick Agyemang produces a right-footed shot from the edge of the area and misses to the left of the target.
- 12:51 Adel Taarabt takes a shot from outside the penalty box and hits the post.
- 12:08 Free kick awarded for a foul by Mohamed Diame on Alejandro Faurlin. Free kick taken by Tommy Smith.
- 11:04 Foul by Shaun Derry on Jordi Gomez, free kick awarded. Free kick crossed by Jordi Gomez, Shaun Derry makes a clearance.
- 9:31 Corner taken right-footed by Adel Taarabt, save made by Ali Al Habsi.
- 9:09 Shaun Derry takes a shot. Save made by Ali Al Habsi.
- 7:57 Shot by Victor Moses.
- 4:05 Inswinging corner taken right-footed by Ben Watson, clearance made by Patrick Kenny.
- 1:29 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Hugo Rodallega by Fitz Hall. Direct strike on goal from the free kick comes in from Jordi Gomez.
- 0:59 Franco Di Santo fouled by Fitz Hall, the ref awards a free kick. Free kick taken by Gary Caldwell.
- 0:00 The game kicks-off.
Live text and data provided by The Press Association.
Premier League results
Premier League table snapshot