Swansea 0 - 0 Sunderland
Page last updated at 16:51 GMT, Saturday, 27 August 2011 17:51 UK
Swansea's wait for a first win in the Premier League continues following a goalless draw against Sunderland.
Scott Sinclair had the home side's best effort when he struck the crossbar with a 25-yard effort in the first half.
Debutant John O'Shea also hit the bar with a header early on for Sunderland - who are also without a victory in the Premier League - while Michel Vorm made a string of saves to deny Asamoah Gyan.
At the other end, Danny Graham came close to opening his Swansea account.
Both teams were looking to bounce back from midweek Carling Cup defeats against lower-league opposition.
Swansea reverted to the side which started against Wigan last Saturday while Sunderland made two changes.
One of them, O'Shea, was making his debut and the right-back almost made an immediate impact when, within the opening two minutes, his header struck the crossbar following Sebastian Larsson's corner.
Sloppy play by the Swansea midfield presented an opportunity for Gyan on 13 minutes, but his shot from an acute angle was turned away by Vorm.
And the home side were nearly punished once again when Steven Caulker's loose pass was picked up by Gyan, but Vorm stood firm.
But the Swans were slowly finding their feet as Kemy Agustien blasted over from 25 yards before Scott Sinclair struck the crossbar from the same distance.
Nathan Dyer and Danny Graham both missed with headers before an interception by Wes Brown proved crucial in blocking Graham's goalbound effort.
Graham, Swansea's record signing, should have scored his first goal for the club with five minutes of the half remaining but he headed wide from 12 yards.
After the interval, in which neither side made any changes, Swansea started well with Dyer shooting over.
Graham then saw his header palmed away by Sunderland keeper Mignolet following a cross from Neil Taylor before Craig Gardner blazed over.
Mignolet denied Ashley Williams before Graham curled wide following a through ball from fellow new-boy Wayne Routledge.
Swansea were caught on the counter-attack by the visitors but the impressive Vorm was again in the right place at the right time to deny Gyan.
The home side controlled the second half and pressed for their first Premier League goal with Graham firing straight at Mignolet before Sinclair fired over.
Live text and stats
Saturday, 27 August 2011
Barclays Premier League
|Home Team||Score||Away Team||Time|
- 01 Vorm
- 02 Williams
- 03 Taylor
- 04 Caulker
- 22 Rangel
- 07 Britton
- 11 Sinclair
- 12 Dyer (Dobbie 79)
- 15 Routledge (Lita 71)
- 26 Agustien yellow card (Allen 79)
- 10 Graham
- 22 Mignolet
- 02 Bardsley
- 05 Brown
- 16 O'Shea
- 29 Ferdinand
- 06 Cattermole (Wickham 70)
- 07 Larsson (Elmohamady 70)
- 08 Gardner yellow card
- 14 Colback
- 28 Sessegnon
- 03 Gyan (Richardson 76)
- Swansea 55%
- Sunderland 45%
Attempts on target
- Swansea 6
- Sunderland 8
Attempts off target
- Swansea 9
- Sunderland 4
- Swansea 7
- Sunderland 4
- Swansea 7
- Sunderland 10
- Final Result
- Full Time
- 90:00+4:26 The game is over, as the referee blows his whistle.
- 90:00+4:03 Joe Allen takes a shot. Blocked by Wes Brown.
- 90:00+1:04 Effort from just outside the area by Jack Colback goes over the bar.
- 89:54 Corner taken by Stephen Dobbie from the left by-line, Ashley Williams has a header from close in and clears the crossbar.
- 89:30 Connor Wickham takes a shot. Neil Taylor gets a block in.
- 85:24 Foul by Joe Allen on Connor Wickham, free kick awarded. Anton Ferdinand takes the free kick.
- 83:57 Stephane Sessegnon takes a shot. Steven Caulker gets a block in.
- 82:20 Free kick taken by Steven Caulker.
- 82:20 Booking Craig Gardner receives a caution.
- 81:57 Free kick awarded for a foul by Craig Gardner on Neil Taylor.
- 80:49 Stephane Sessegnon takes a shot. Neil Taylor gets a block in. Corner from right by-line taken by Kieran Richardson.
- 78:24 Direct free kick taken by Angel Rangel.
- 78:24 Substitution (Swansea) makes a substitution, with Joe Allen coming on for Kemy Agustien.
- 78:24 Substitution (Swansea) makes a substitution, with Stephen Dobbie coming on for Nathan Dyer.
- 78:24 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Nathan Dyer by Phillip Bardsley.
- 77:07 Scott Sinclair has an effort at goal from outside the area which goes wide right of the goal.
- 75:53 Neil Taylor restarts play with the free kick.
- 75:53 Substitution Kieran Richardson joins the action as a substitute, replacing Asamoah Gyan.
- 75:53 John O'Shea challenges Scott Sinclair unfairly and gives away a free kick.
- 71:18 Asamoah Gyan takes a shot. Save by Michel Vorm.
- 70:55 Kemy Agustien decides to take the corner short.
- 69:14 Substitution Wayne Routledge goes off and Leroy Lita comes on.
- 69:14 Substitution (Sunderland) makes a substitution, with Ahmed Elmohamady coming on for Sebastian Larsson.
- 69:14 Substitution Connor Wickham joins the action as a substitute, replacing Lee Cattermole.
- 68:19 Danny Graham takes a shot. Save by Simon Mignolet.
- 63:51 Corner taken by Kemy Agustien from the right by-line, Danny Graham takes a shot. Save by Simon Mignolet.
- 62:08 Stephane Sessegnon challenges Leon Britton unfairly and gives away a free kick. Steven Caulker restarts play with the free kick.
- 59:52 Danny Graham produces a left-footed shot from deep inside the penalty box which goes wide of the left-hand post.
- 59:00 Booking Kemy Agustien receives a caution for dissent.
- 58:17 Header from deep inside the area by Craig Gardner goes over the bar.
- 55:54 The referee blows for offside against Danny Graham. Indirect free kick taken by Anton Ferdinand.
- 55:18 Scott Sinclair crosses the ball.
- 54:50 Stephane Sessegnon concedes a free kick for a foul on Nathan Dyer. Free kick taken by Kemy Agustien.
- 54:10 Outswinging corner taken by Kemy Agustien, Wes Brown manages to make a clearance.
- Correction - 54:01 Danny Graham takes a shot. Save by Simon Mignolet.
- 54:01 Danny Graham takes a shot. Save made by Simon Mignolet.
- 50:58 Nathan Dyer takes a shot from just outside the penalty area clears the crossbar.
- 49:56 Free kick awarded for a foul by Asamoah Gyan on Neil Taylor. Michel Vorm takes the direct free kick.
- 48:49 Kemy Agustien takes a shot. Blocked by Wes Brown.
- 45:01 The game restarts for the second half.
- Half Time
- 45:00+1:37 The first half comes to an end.
- 44:58 Wayne Routledge challenges Sebastian Larsson unfairly and gives away a free kick. Sebastian Larsson takes the direct free kick.
- 42:33 Stephane Sessegnon fouled by Steven Caulker, the ref awards a free kick. Free kick taken by Phillip Bardsley.
- 40:37 Header by Danny Graham from deep inside the penalty area misses to the left of the target.
- 40:04 Corner taken by Neil Taylor, clearance by Wes Brown.
- 37:41 Foul by Craig Gardner on Kemy Agustien, free kick awarded. Ashley Williams takes the free kick.
- 35:43 Nathan Dyer concedes a free kick for a foul on Jack Colback. Free kick crossed right-footed by Sebastian Larsson from left wing, Michel Vorm makes a save.
- 35:22 Asamoah Gyan takes a shot. Blocked by Kemy Agustien.
- 32:46 Free kick awarded for a foul by Neil Taylor on Asamoah Gyan. Sebastian Larsson restarts play with the free kick.
- 31:16 Free kick awarded for a foul by Stephane Sessegnon on Leon Britton. Direct free kick taken by Michel Vorm.
- 29:41 Unfair challenge on Scott Sinclair by John O'Shea results in a free kick. Free kick taken by Leon Britton.
- 28:34 Inswinging corner taken right-footed by Kemy Agustien played to the near post, clearance made by Lee Cattermole.
- 28:23 Danny Graham takes a shot. Blocked by Anton Ferdinand.
- 27:47 Lee Cattermole concedes a free kick for a foul on Kemy Agustien. Direct free kick taken by Kemy Agustien.
- 26:08 Scott Sinclair concedes a free kick for a foul on Jack Colback. Direct free kick taken by Phillip Bardsley.
- 25:06 Headed effort from inside the penalty area by Danny Graham misses to the right of the target.
- 23:45 Headed effort from inside the box by Nathan Dyer misses to the right of the target.
- 23:23 Scott Sinclair takes a shot.
- 20:08 Shot by Kemy Agustien from outside the box goes high over the crossbar.
- 16:49 Asamoah Gyan fouled by Steven Caulker, the ref awards a free kick. Phillip Bardsley takes the free kick.
- 14:58 Craig Gardner takes a shot. Blocked by Angel Rangel.
- 12:57 Outswinging corner taken by Sebastian Larsson.
- 12:44 Asamoah Gyan takes a shot. Michel Vorm makes a save.
- 7:51 Effort from inside the area by Asamoah Gyan misses to the right of the goal.
- 6:01 Sebastian Larsson takes the inswinging corner, clearance made by Angel Rangel.
- 4:37 Corner from the left by-line taken by Kemy Agustien, Wes Brown manages to make a clearance.
- 1:18 Craig Gardner takes a shot. Neil Taylor gets a block in. Inswinging corner taken by Sebastian Larsson from the left by-line, Header on goal by John O'Shea from inside the box goes harmlessly over the target.
- 0:00 The referee gets the match started.
Live text and data provided by The Press Association.
Premier League results
Premier League table snapshot