Wolverhampton 2 - 0 Fulham
Page last updated at 15:05 GMT, Sunday, 21 August 2011 16:05 UK
Wolves maintained their 100% start to the season with victory over Fulham.
Kevin Doyle's sharp turn and finish set Wolves on their way on 42 minutes and on the stroke of half-time Matt Jarvis lashed in for the second.
Fulham struggled to match Wolves' commitment, though Damien Duff might have done better with two shots.
And Stephen Ward came to the rescue for the home side when his brave tackle thwarted Clint Dempsey after Wayne Hennessey spilled Andy Johnson's shot.
This was the 99th time that Wolves have won under manager Mick McCarthy since his arrival at Molineux and the victory ensured the club's best start to a season in 13 years.
Fulham, who had kept 10 clean sheets in their previous 13 games, had comfortably contained Wolves for much of the first half - until Doyle started to come into the game.
Doyle probably should have scored before his opening goal when he dispossessed a ponderous Brede Hangeland and then manoeuvred the ball past Mark Schwarzer, but having done all the hard work the Republic of Ireland striker put the ball over the bar.
Schwarzer was quickly back into action when he tipped away Jamie O'Hara's shot, but that reprieve for Fulham proved short-lived.
Following a short corner Doyle, who had his back to goal, worked some space before turning and firing the ball into the roof of the net to score for the first time this season.
DID YOU KNOW?Continue reading the main story
Fulham last won at Molineux in 1985
Three minutes later Wolves nabbed a second when Roger Johnson got to the ball before Schwarzer and although his header hit the post, Jarvis was on hand to guide the ball home.
While Doyle and Jarvis were the names on the scoresheet, O'Hara's barnstorming performance in midfield also caught the eye.
The former Spurs midfielder prompted a host of attacks and he was equally keen to shoot whenever the opportunity presented itself.
Wolves adopted a shoot on sight policy in the second half, with Jarvis, Hunt and Steven Fletcher all peppering Mark Schwarzer's goal with speculative efforts but they were unable to find a third.
This was the first time this season that Fulham had played on a game on Thursday and then a Premier League game on Sunday and Martin Jol's side laboured to threaten Hennessey's goal.
Damien Duff had one of the Londoner's best chances in the first half but his shot failed to seriously test Hennessey after the Republic of Ireland winger had been set up by Andy Johnson.
Early in the second half Duff had another chance - this time set up by John Arne Riise - but he miscued again, volleying his effort into the ground.
Jol made a double substitution at the break - bringing on Moussa Dembele and Steve Sidwell - but they were able to help break Wolves' control of the the match.
Indeed it took until the last 10 minutes before Fulham really started to test Hennessey.
And when they did - Andy Johnson firing in a shot that Hennessey was unable to hold - the Wolves keeper was helped out by Ward who bravely got to the ball before Dempsey did.
Wolves manager Mick McCarthy:
"The standards we have set have been very high but there are still 36 games more to play.
"Last year we earned a reputation down at Fulham as a dirty side, which was so unjust and it had a real adverse effect on us - we didn't make a tackle and got bookings which I didn't think we should have got - and it knocked us back for a short while.
"I thought we played some terrific football and were the best team on the pitch. We go to Villa Aston Villa next and that will be a tough one.
"We start bottom of the table every season due to alphabetic order so it's nice to be where we are."
Fulham manager Martin Jol:
"You can be tired in September and October but not at the start of the season and that's not the reason for the style of our play in the first half.
"If you lose the ball against a side like Wolves,who are full of energy, you have to come up with the answers and we didn't do that in the last 10 minutes of the first half and they scored two goals.
"The second half was better and we had three good chances, but they deserved the result.
"Bobby Zamora is our target man and can hold up the ball, so that was a bit of a blow he couldn't play."
Live text and stats
Sunday, 21 August 2011
Barclays Premier League
|Home Team||Score||Away Team||Time|
- 01 Hennessey
- 05 Stearman
- 11 Ward
- 14 Johnson
- 16 Berra
- 08 Henry
- 12 Hunt yellow card (Foley 84)
- 17 Jarvis (Kightly 90)
- 24 O'Hara
- 10 Fletcher (Elokobi 90+2)
- 29 Doyle yellow card
- 01 Schwarzer
- 03 JA Riise yellow card
- 05 Hangeland
- 14 Senderos
- 18 Hughes
- 10 Kasami (Dembele 45 yellow card)
- 13 Murphy
- 16 Duff
- 20 Etuhu (Sidwell 45)
- 23 Dempsey
- 08 Johnson
- Wolves 52%
- Fulham 48%
Attempts on target
- Wolves 7
- Fulham 4
Attempts off target
- Wolves 10
- Fulham 4
- Wolves 7
- Fulham 8
- Wolves 7
- Fulham 10
- Final Result
- Full Time
- 90:00+3:28 The referee brings the game to a close.
- 90:00+1:44 Substitution George Elokobi is brought on as a substitute for Steven Fletcher.
- 90:00+0:33 Steven Fletcher decides to take the corner short.
- 89:10 Substitution Michael Kightly on for Matthew Jarvis.
- 89:10 Steven Fletcher has an effort at goal from a long way out that goes wide of the right-hand post.
- 88:33 Jamie O'Hara has a shot on goal from outside the box which misses right.
- 82:13 Substitution Kevin Foley replaces Stephen Hunt.
- 82:13 Christophe Berra gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Clint Dempsey. Danny Murphy restarts play with the free kick. Shot from outside the box by John Arne Riise misses to the left of the goal.
- 81:20 Corner taken right-footed by Damien Duff from the left by-line, Wayne Hennessey makes a save.
- 80:46 Corner taken left-footed by Damien Duff.
- 78:57 Andrew Johnson takes a shot. Save by Wayne Hennessey. Damien Duff takes a inswinging corner.
- 76:26 Stephen Hunt takes a shot. Save by Mark Schwarzer. Corner from the right by-line taken by Stephen Hunt, clearance by Moussa Dembele.
- 74:13 Kevin Doyle challenges Damien Duff unfairly and gives away a free kick. Free kick taken by Danny Murphy.
- 72:41 Karl Henry challenges Steve Sidwell unfairly and gives away a free kick. Steve Sidwell restarts play with the free kick.
- 71:54 Clint Dempsey has an effort at goal from just outside the box which goes wide of the right-hand post.
- 70:55 Brede Hangeland takes the free kick.
- 70:55 Booking Stephen Hunt goes into the book.
- 70:49 Stephen Hunt gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on John Arne Riise.
- 69:40 Stephen Hunt takes a shot. Save made by Mark Schwarzer.
- 66:42 Effort on goal by Jamie O'Hara from just outside the area goes harmlessly over the target.
- 66:22 Moussa Dembele challenges Roger Johnson unfairly and gives away a free kick. Wayne Hennessey takes the free kick.
- 64:50 Steven Fletcher has shot on goal from just outside the penalty box which goes wide of the right-hand upright.
- 64:15 Roger Johnson fouled by Andrew Johnson, the ref awards a free kick. Direct free kick taken by Wayne Hennessey.
- 63:02 Steven Fletcher takes a shot. Blocked by Aaron Hughes. Corner taken right-footed by Matthew Jarvis from the left by-line, Brede Hangeland makes a clearance. Jamie O'Hara produces a right-footed shot from just outside the area that goes harmlessly over the target.
- 62:29 Christophe Berra challenges Moussa Dembele unfairly and gives away a free kick. Steve Sidwell takes the free kick.
- 60:48 Danny Murphy takes the inswinging corner, Brede Hangeland takes a shot. Comfortable save by Wayne Hennessey.
- 59:35 Jamie O'Hara takes the direct free kick.
- 59:35 Booking The referee cautions John Arne Riise for unsporting behaviour.
- 59:31 John Arne Riise gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Kevin Doyle.
- 56:55 Danny Murphy takes the inswinging corner, Header from deep inside the area by Steve Sidwell goes harmlessly over the crossbar.
- 55:14 Stephen Hunt has a drilled shot. Save by Mark Schwarzer. Corner from left by-line taken by Stephen Hunt.
- 54:19 Matthew Jarvis has an effort from just inside the box that misses to the left of the target.
- 53:39 Philippe Senderos concedes a free kick for a foul on Kevin Doyle. Jamie O'Hara takes the free kick.
- 52:47 Steve Sidwell fouled by Stephen Hunt, the ref awards a free kick. Aaron Hughes restarts play with the free kick.
- 51:48 Effort from the edge of the area by Damien Duff goes wide of the right-hand upright.
- 50:03 Free kick awarded for a foul by Clint Dempsey on Stephen Hunt. Stephen Ward takes the direct free kick.
- 49:16 Outswinging corner taken left-footed by Damien Duff, Steven Fletcher makes a clearance.
- 46:53 Booking Moussa Dembele goes into the book.
- 45:52 Moussa Dembele gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Roger Johnson. Wayne Hennessey restarts play with the free kick.
- 45:01 The referee gets the second half started.
- Half Time
- 45:00+2:36 The first half comes to an end.
- 45:00+0:24 The ball is crossed by Richard Stearman, Headed effort from inside the area by Steven Fletcher strikes the post. Assist by Steven Fletcher.
- 45:00+0:24 GOAL - Matthew Jarvis:Wolverhampton 2 - 0 Fulham Matthew Jarvis scores a goal from inside the area to the bottom right corner of the goal. Wolverhampton 2-0 Fulham.
- Correction - 45:00 Substitution Moussa Dembele on for Pajtim Kasami.
- Correction - 45:00 Substitution Dickson Etuhu leaves the field to be replaced by Steve Sidwell.
- 44:47 Dickson Etuhu challenges Karl Henry unfairly and gives away a free kick. Direct free kick taken by Christophe Berra.
- 43:43 Matthew Jarvis produces a right-footed shot from just outside the box that misses to the right of the target.
- 41:51 Booking Booking for Kevin Doyle.
- 41:48 GOAL - Kevin Doyle:Wolverhampton 1 - 0 Fulham Kevin Doyle fires in a goal from inside the six-yard box to the top right corner of the goal. Wolverhampton 1-0 Fulham.
- 41:22 Centre by Matthew Jarvis,
- 30:16 Jamie O'Hara has an effort at goal from 25 yards. Save by Mark Schwarzer. Matthew Jarvis takes a outswinging corner from the left by-line to the near post, Damien Duff makes a clearance.
- 28:14 Shot on goal by Kevin Doyle from inside the box goes harmlessly over the target.
- 23:17 The offside flag is raised against Steven Fletcher. Aaron Hughes takes the indirect free kick.
- 21:30 Foul by Christophe Berra on Pajtim Kasami, free kick awarded. Mark Schwarzer takes the direct free kick.
- 18:33 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Roger Johnson by Pajtim Kasami. Wayne Hennessey takes the free kick.
- 17:50 Stephen Hunt is ruled offside. Free kick taken by Mark Schwarzer.
- 16:35 Handball by Andrew Johnson. Wayne Hennessey takes the direct free kick.
- 15:37 Dickson Etuhu challenges Karl Henry unfairly and gives away a free kick. Direct free kick taken by Stephen Hunt.
- 13:19 Dickson Etuhu takes a shot. Save made by Wayne Hennessey.
- 10:42 Aaron Hughes concedes a free kick for a foul on Kevin Doyle. The free kick is delivered left-footed by Stephen Hunt from left channel.
- 10:13 The ball is delivered by Andrew Johnson, Damien Duff takes a shot. Save by Wayne Hennessey.
- 9:33 A cross is delivered by Matthew Jarvis.
- 8:02 Corner taken by Damien Duff from the left by-line, save made by Wayne Hennessey.
- 7:02 Andrew Johnson is caught offside. Free kick taken by Wayne Hennessey.
- 3:18 Inswinging corner taken left-footed by Stephen Hunt played to the near post, Philippe Senderos manages to make a clearance.
- 2:55 Karl Henry takes a shot. Philippe Senderos gets a block in.
- 1:52 The assistant referee flags for offside against Steven Fletcher. Indirect free kick taken by Mark Schwarzer.
- 0:20 Damien Duff takes a inswinging corner from the right by-line to the near post.
- 0:00 The match has kicked off.
- 0:00 Substitution Moussa Dembele comes on in place of Pajtim Kasami.
- 0:00 Substitution Dickson Etuhu goes off and Steve Sidwell comes on.
Live text and data provided by The Press Association.
Barclays Premier League table snapshot
21 August 11Football