Chelsea 2 - 1 West Brom
Page last updated at 18:20 GMT, Sunday, 21 August 2011 19:20 UK
Substitute Florent Malouda scored seven minutes from time to give Chelsea victory against West Brom at Stamford Bridge.
The Blues were poor in the first half and conceded early on when Shane Long capitalised on a mistake by Alex before slotting his shot past Hilario.
Forward Nicolas Anelka equalised after the break when his angled strike took a deflection off Jonas Olsson.
Malouda grabbed the winner when he converted Jose Bosingwa's cross.
West Brom had other chances to extend their lead after Long's goal, but Chelsea manager Andre Villas-Boas' tactical tinkering late in the first half appeared to mend the cracks that surfaced during those early stages.
Chelsea were flat and the wave-on-wave of attacks that used to overwhelm teams merely rippled, with only forward Fernando Torres showing passion and commitment to the cause.
If Chelsea's attack was malfunctioning, their defence appeared to suffer meltdown in gifting West Brom that early opening goal.
Alex slipped after receiving a pass from fellow Brazilian Ramires and was then left chasing as Long ran through and slipped his shot past Hilario.
The Baggies should have doubled their advantage moments later when Long went clear on the right but he put too much pace on his cross for Somen Tchoyi, who surely would have scored had the pass been more accurate.
West Brom keeper Ben Foster was called into action on a couple of occasions, first when he tipped over a fierce shot from Ashley Cole before he was fortunate to be in the right position to block Alex's deflected free-kick.
Chelsea's came to life in the last 10 minutes of the first half following that tactical adjustment from Villas-Boas as the home side changed to a diamond formation after Malouda replaced Salomon Kalou.
That verve was maintained in the opening moments after the break, during which time they equalised.
France forward Anelka broke into the area on the right before shifting his feet and firing a low shot which took a deflection off Olsson, beating a static Foster.
That was more bad luck for the Baggies, who lost to Manchester United last week as a result of a deflected strike.
Chelsea came close to taking the lead shortly after the restart when Anelka's low drive was blocked by the feet of Foster before Steven Reid dived heroically to fend away Malouda's follow-up.
But there was no misfortune about the winner. Bosingwa used his pace to make space on the right before delivering a low ball to the back post which Malouda tucked away.
West Brom replacement Peter Odemwingie could have given the Blues a nasty shock in the closing moments, but he directed his volley into the clutches of Hilario.
Chelsea manager Andre Villas-Boas
"Their mental attitude for the second half was good.
"There was a sense of realising the space and better options without being anxious like they were in the first half. It goes down to them.
"It was a difficult game. The first goal was very early and the crowd became anxious and that passed onto the pitch.
"We had to remove the anxiety and be mentally tranquil.
"The players were able to free themselves from that and work at their best."
West Brom manager Roy Hodgson
"Certainly there are a lot of positive things from last week's game and this week's game.
"But it was disappointing to lose. For 60 minutes we did quite well.
"On another day, like last week, we could have come away with a result.
"We got in behind them on plenty of occasions and could have scored more than the one goal we got."
Live text and stats
Saturday, 20 August 2011
Barclays Premier League
|Home Team||Score||Away Team||Time|
- 40 Hilario
- 03 Cole
- 17 Bosingwa
- 26 Terry yellow card
- 33 Alex (Ivanovic 66)
- 07 Ramires
- 08 Lampard yellow card
- 12 Mikel
- 09 Torres (Drogba 59)
- 21 Kalou (Malouda 35)
- 39 Anelka
- 01 Foster
- 03 Olsson yellow card
- 20 Shorey
- 30 Tamas yellow card
- 05 Tchoyi (Odemwingie 75 yellow card)
- 07 Morrison
- 11 Brunt
- 12 Reid
- 21 Mulumbu yellow card (Dorrans 87)
- 33 Scharner
- 09 Long
- Chelsea 60%
- West Brom 40%
Attempts on target
- Chelsea 12
- West Brom 4
Attempts off target
- Chelsea 10
- West Brom 2
- Chelsea 7
- West Brom 4
- Chelsea 12
- West Brom 8
- Final Result
- Full Time
- 90:00+4:22 The match has reached full-time.
- 90:00+3:42 Frank Lampard concedes a free kick for a foul on Gabriel Tamas. Ben Foster restarts play with the free kick.
- 90:00+2:16 Foul by Mikel on Peter Odemwingie, free kick awarded. The free kick is delivered left-footed by Chris Brunt from left channel, Henrique Hilario makes a comfortable save.
- 90:00+0:59 Henrique Hilario takes the free kick.
- 90:00+0:59 Booking The referee cautions Peter Odemwingie for unsporting behaviour.
- 90:00+0:14 Peter Odemwingie concedes a free kick for a foul on Ashley Cole.
- 89:39 Booking Booking for John Terry.
- 89:08 Frank Lampard has an effort at goal from 20 yards. Jonas Olsson gets a block in.
- 87:23 Shot by Peter Odemwingie. Fantastic save by Jose Bosingwa.
- 86:15 Jonas Olsson takes the direct free kick.
- 86:15 Substitution Graham Dorrans replaces Youssouf Mulumbu.
- 86:15 Ramires is penalised for a handball.
- 82:36 Jose Bosingwa crosses the ball,
- 82:34 Jose Bosingwa provided the assist for the goal.
- 82:34 GOAL - Florent Malouda:Chelsea 2 - 1 West Brom Florent Malouda gets on the score sheet with a goal from inside the six-yard box low into the middle of the goal. Chelsea 2-1 West Brom.
- 81:24 Nicolas Anelka has an effort at goal from long distance that misses to the right of the target.
- 80:17 Unfair challenge on Youssouf Mulumbu by Jose Bosingwa results in a free kick. Nicky Shorey takes the free kick.
- 78:57 Shot from inside the area by Frank Lampard clears the bar.
- 78:31 Corner from the right by-line taken by Nicolas Anelka, clearance by Jonas Olsson.
- 78:08 Corner taken by Florent Malouda played to the near post, Shane Long manages to make a clearance.
- 74:03 Substitution Peter Odemwingie on for Somen Tchoyi.
- 73:25 The referee blows for offside against Somen Tchoyi. Free kick taken by Henrique Hilario.
- 73:05 Outswinging corner taken by Frank Lampard.
- 71:03 Free kick awarded for a foul by Didier Drogba on Gabriel Tamas. Free kick taken by Ben Foster.
- 69:20 Shot by Didier Drogba from deep inside the penalty area misses wide to the left of the target.
- 68:18 Effort on goal by Nicolas Anelka from inside the penalty box misses to the right of the target.
- 68:00 Drilled left-footed shot by Florent Malouda. Steven Reid gets a block in.
- 65:47 Substitution Branislav Ivanovic is brought on as a substitute for Alex.
- 64:33 Somen Tchoyi is ruled offside. Free kick taken by Alex.
- 64:01 Didier Drogba has an effort at goal from close in which goes wide of the left-hand upright.
- 62:36 Shane Long challenges Mikel unfairly and gives away a free kick. Alex restarts play with the free kick.
- 61:30 Outswinging corner taken by Chris Brunt.
- 61:17 Somen Tchoyi produces a curled left-footed shot from 18 yards. Henrique Hilario makes a fantastic save.
- 59:43 Booking Jonas Olsson receives a caution.
- 58:56 Substitution Didier Drogba joins the action as a substitute, replacing Fernando Torres.
- 57:25 Unfair challenge on Jose Bosingwa by Somen Tchoyi results in a free kick. The free kick is delivered left-footed by Florent Malouda from right wing, Somen Tchoyi makes a clearance.
- 57:13 Drilled right-footed shot by Frank Lampard. Gabriel Tamas gets a block in.
- 56:22 Florent Malouda takes a shot. Blocked by Gabriel Tamas.
- 56:03 Nicolas Anelka has a drilled shot. Blocked by Ben Foster.
- 55:30 Florent Malouda takes a shot. Clearance made by Gabriel Tamas.
- 55:12 Frank Lampard takes a outswinging corner.
- 54:59 Frank Lampard has an effort at goal from 18 yards. Blocked by Jonas Olsson.
- 54:00 Paul Scharner produces a header from deep inside the six-yard box that clears the crossbar.
- 52:24 Assist on the goal came from Frank Lampard.
- 52:24 GOAL - Nicolas Anelka:Chelsea 1 - 1 West Brom Nicolas Anelka scores a goal from inside the penalty box to the bottom left corner of the goal. Chelsea 1-1 West Brom.
- 50:54 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Mikel by Somen Tchoyi. Direct free kick taken by Henrique Hilario.
- 46:54 James Morrison fouled by Alex, the ref awards a free kick. Free kick crossed by Chris Brunt, Paul Scharner challenges Alex unfairly and gives away a free kick. Direct free kick taken by Henrique Hilario.
- 46:12 Corner from the left by-line taken by Florent Malouda, Steven Reid makes a clearance.
- 45:01 The referee starts the second half.
- Half Time
- 45:00+2:04 The first half comes to an end.
- 45:00+1:49 Nicolas Anelka takes a shot. Save made by Ben Foster.
- 44:02 Shot on goal comes in from Alex from the free kick, Ben Foster makes a fantastic save.
- 44:02 Booking Youssouf Mulumbu is booked.
- 43:56 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Fernando Torres by Youssouf Mulumbu.
- 41:56 Somen Tchoyi gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on John Terry. Alex takes the free kick.
- 40:44 Corner taken right-footed by Frank Lampard from the left by-line, clearance made by Gabriel Tamas.
- 40:29 Effort on goal by Ashley Cole from 20 yards. Ben Foster makes a brilliant save.
- 38:37 Corner taken by Chris Brunt, clearance made by Jose Bosingwa.
- 37:55 Gabriel Tamas fouled by Florent Malouda, the ref awards a free kick. Free kick taken by Ben Foster.
- 36:14 Unfair challenge on Paul Scharner by Mikel results in a free kick. Gabriel Tamas restarts play with the free kick.
- 33:41 Free kick taken by Jonas Olsson.
- 33:41 Substitution Florent Malouda on for Salomon Kalou.
- 33:41 Booking Frank Lampard is cautioned.
- 33:30 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Shane Long by Frank Lampard.
- 29:56 John Terry has shot on goal from just outside the area which goes wide of the right-hand upright.
- 28:58 Somen Tchoyi has an effort from just inside the box that misses to the left of the goal.
- 28:03 Youssouf Mulumbu fouled by Salomon Kalou, the ref awards a free kick. Ben Foster takes the direct free kick.
- 26:22 Ramires gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Youssouf Mulumbu. Ben Foster takes the free kick.
- 23:43 Nicolas Anelka produces a header from inside the area that goes over the bar.
- 21:48 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Youssouf Mulumbu by Mikel. Direct free kick taken by Ben Foster.
- 19:23 Effort on goal by Fernando Torres from just inside the area clears the bar.
- 17:36 Outswinging corner taken by Chris Brunt from the left by-line played to the near post, clearance by Frank Lampard.
- 15:31 Inswinging corner taken left-footed by Chris Brunt from the right by-line to the near post, clearance by Frank Lampard.
- 15:18 Effort on goal by Paul Scharner from 18 yards. Save by Henrique Hilario.
- 13:06 Effort on goal by Salomon Kalou from just outside the penalty area goes harmlessly over the target.
- 12:41 The referee blows for offside. Mikel restarts play with the free kick.
- 11:34 Outswinging corner taken from the right by-line by Frank Lampard.
- 10:54 The assistant referee flags for offside against Somen Tchoyi. Alex takes the indirect free kick.
- 7:47 The ball is crossed by Jose Bosingwa, Headed effort from deep inside the area by Ramires misses to the left of the goal.
- 6:20 Direct free kick taken by John Terry.
- 6:20 Booking Gabriel Tamas receives a yellow card.
- 6:14 Foul by Gabriel Tamas on Salomon Kalou, free kick awarded.
- 3:53 GOAL - Shane Long:Chelsea 0 - 1 West Brom Goal scored by Shane Long from deep inside the penalty box to the bottom left corner of the goal. Chelsea 0-1 West Brom.
- 3:09 The offside flag is raised against Somen Tchoyi. Indirect free kick taken by Alex.
- 2:41 Fernando Torres challenges Paul Scharner unfairly and gives away a free kick. Ben Foster takes the free kick.
- 0:00 The match gets underway.
Live text and data provided by The Press Association.
Barclays Premier League results
Barclays Premier League table snapshot