Man City 4-0 Swansea
Page last updated at 21:30 GMT, Monday, 15 August 2011 22:30 UK
Man City 4 - 0 Swansea
Sergio Aguero scored twice on his debut for Manchester City as they hammered Premier League new-boys Swansea.
David Silva and Gareth Barry struck the woodwork before Edin Dzeko prodded home after Swans keeper Michel Vorm parried an Adam Johnson shot into his path.
Aguero slotted home unmarked at the far post shortly after his introduction.
The second-half substitute then audaciously flicked the ball for Silva to volley home before scoring with a long-range strike late in the match.
BEST PREMIER LEAGUE DEBUTSContinue reading the main story
- Alan Shearer - 2 goals for Blackburn v Crystal Palace 15 August 1992
- Jurgen Klinsmann - goal and celebratory dive for Tottenham v Sheffield Wednesday 20 August 1994
- Fabrizio Ravanelli - hat-trick for Middlesbrough v Liverpool 17 August 1996
- Alan Smith - scores with first touch for Leeds v Liverpool 14 November 1998
It was a spectacular start for the Argentine, who arrived in Manchester for a club-record fee of £38m in July as Robert Mancini's side began their campaign in emphatic fashion.
Swansea were not without their impressive moments and kept their big-spending opponents at bay amid a first-half onslaught, with their own debutant Vorm in fine form.
But Manchester City's second-half blitz, with Silva and Dzeko also shining, showed their intentions for the new season.
Aguero, the son-in-law of legendary footballer Maradona, had been struggling with blisters and only began the game on the bench.
But Gael Clichy, another of City's summer signings, did start, one of three changes from the side beaten by Manchester United in the Community Shield.
Swansea, who gave debuts to Steven Caulker and Danny Graham in addition to Vorm, showed plenty of the flowing football that has won them many admirers in recent seasons in the first period without really testing Joe Hart.
Vorm, however, was soon called into action from a short corner as Silva played a one-two with Nigel de Jong and unleashed a powerful curling left-foot shot that was brilliantly palmed away.
Silva went even closer soon after, a fine flowing move ending with Johnson picking him out in the penalty area, but his shot from 10 yards came back off the crossbar.
Swansea - the first Welsh side to play in the Premier League - rode their luck during the final five minutes of the first half, with Vorm denying Dzeko and Yaya Toure before Barry also rattled the crossbar.
Having weathered the home team's onslaught, Swansea's Stephen Dobbie forced Hart to save and breaking free down the middle.
But the goal that Mancini's men had long threatened finally came on 57 minutes when Dzeko pounced from close range after Vorm had only parried Johnson's effort.
It started a spell of three goals in 14 minutes, the second coming when Aguero, who replaced De Jong and almost immediately scored with a shot from the edge of the box, tapped in a low cross from Micah Richards.
Aguero's next contribution was even better, drifting past Vorm and acrobatically hooking the ball back for Silva to fire home.
Swansea rarely threatened during the second half and conceded a fourth when Aguero crowned a memorable debut with a sublime strike from 25 yards.
Live text and stats
Monday, 15 August 2011
Barclays Premier League
|Home Team||Score||Away Team||Time|
- 25 Hart
- 02 Richards
- 04 Kompany
- 06 Lescott
- 22 Clichy
- 11 Johnson (Savic 74)
- 18 Barry
- 21 Silva (Milner 82)
- 34 De Jong (Aguero 59)
- 42 Y Toure
- 10 Dzeko
- 01 Vorm
- 02 Williams
- 04 Caulker
- 05 Tate
- 22 Rangel
- 07 Britton (Allen 65)
- 11 Sinclair
- 12 Dyer (Lita 81)
- 26 Agustien
- 10 Graham
- 14 Dobbie (Routledge 65)
- Man City 53%
- Swansea 47%
Attempts on target
- Man City 19
- Swansea 5
Attempts off target
- Man City 7
- Swansea 3
- Man City 7
- Swansea 4
- Man City 9
- Swansea 2
- Final Result
- Full Time
- 90:00+3:51 The referee blows his whistle to end the game.
- 90:00+2:13 Danny Graham takes a shot. Save by Joe Hart.
- 90:00+0:33 The assist for the goal came from Gnegneri Toure Yaya.
- 90:00+0:33 GOAL - Sergio Aguero:Man City 4 - 0 Swansea Goal scored by Sergio Aguero from outside the penalty area to the bottom left corner of the goal. Man City 4-0 Swansea.
- 89:05 Ashley Williams concedes a free kick for a foul on Edin Dzeko. James Milner shoots direct from the free kick, Michel Vorm makes a save.
- 88:53 The ball is delivered by Micah Richards, save by Michel Vorm.
- 86:58 The ball is swung over by James Milner, clearance by Alan Tate.
- 84:07 Wayne Routledge takes a shot. Vincent Kompany gets a block in.
- Correction - 81:48 Sergio Aguero takes a shot. Angel Rangel gets a block in.
- 81:48 Sergio Aguero takes a shot. Blocked by Angel Rangel.
- 81:03 Substitution James Milner on for David Silva.
- 80:37 Substitution Leroy Lita is brought on as a substitute for Nathan Dyer.
- 80:12 Scott Sinclair takes a shot. Comfortable save by Joe Hart.
- 78:18 Vincent Kompany concedes a free kick for a foul on Wayne Routledge. The free kick is swung in right-footed by Joe Allen, Micah Richards manages to make a clearance.
- 77:11 Kemy Agustien produces a cross.
- 75:25 Direct free kick taken by Edin Dzeko. Gnegneri Toure Yaya takes a shot. Save by Michel Vorm.
- 73:44 Substitution Stefan Savic joins the action as a substitute, replacing Adam Johnson.
- 72:12 Nathan Dyer delivers the ball.
- 71:12 Inswinging corner taken right-footed by Joe Allen played to the near post, clearance made by Edin Dzeko.
- 70:08 The assist for the goal came from Sergio Aguero.
- 70:08 GOAL - David Silva:Man City 3 - 0 Swansea David Silva finds the net with a goal from close in high into the middle of the goal. Man City 3-0 Swansea.
- 68:56 Joe Allen takes a shot. Vincent Kompany gets a block in. Inswinging corner taken from the left by-line by Joe Allen, Wayne Routledge produces a right-footed shot from just outside the box that goes wide right of the target.
- 67:35 Micah Richards provided the assist for the goal.
- 67:35 GOAL - Sergio Aguero:Man City 2 - 0 Swansea Sergio Aguero finds the back of the net with a goal from inside the six-yard box to the bottom left corner of the goal. Man City 2-0 Swansea.
- 66:18 Outswinging corner taken by Joe Allen. The ball is swung over by Kemy Agustien, save by Joe Hart.
- 65:22 Free kick awarded for a foul by Gnegneri Toure Yaya on Scott Sinclair. Scott Sinclair delivers the ball from the free kick right-footed from left wing.
- 64:07 Substitution Wayne Routledge comes on in place of Stephen Dobbie.
- 64:07 Substitution Leon Britton goes off and Joe Allen comes on.
- 61:33 Close range shot by Sergio Aguero goes over the bar.
- 60:42 Sergio Aguero takes a shot. Michel Vorm makes a save. Gnegneri Toure Yaya is ruled offside. Michel Vorm takes the free kick.
- 58:47 Free kick crossed right-footed by Stephen Dobbie from left channel, Gareth Barry manages to make a clearance.
- 58:47 Substitution Sergio Aguero replaces Nigel De Jong.
- 58:47 Micah Richards concedes a free kick for a foul on Scott Sinclair.
- 56:55 Assist on the goal came from Adam Johnson.
- 56:55 GOAL - Edin Dzeko:Man City 1 - 0 Swansea Edin Dzeko finds the net with a goal from close range to the bottom left corner of the goal. Man City 1-0 Swansea.
- 56:52 Adam Johnson takes a shot. Michel Vorm makes a save.
- 54:39 Free kick awarded for a foul by David Silva on Leon Britton. Leon Britton restarts play with the free kick.
- 52:33 Stephen Dobbie takes a shot. Save by Joe Hart.
- 51:45 The ball is sent over by Gael Clichy, comfortable save by Michel Vorm.
- 50:23 Edin Dzeko is caught offside. Michel Vorm restarts play with the free kick.
- 48:35 Gnegneri Toure Yaya produces a left-footed shot from deep inside the area which goes wide of the left-hand post.
- 48:18 The ball is swung over by Scott Sinclair, Joe Hart makes a comfortable save.
- 47:43 Adam Johnson takes a shot. Alan Tate gets a block in. Inswinging corner taken from the right by-line by Adam Johnson.
- 46:30 Foul by Nigel De Jong on Scott Sinclair, free kick awarded. Leon Britton restarts play with the free kick.
- 45:01 The referee starts the second half.
- Half Time
- 45:00+1:37 The referee blows for half time.
- 45:00+0:48 Gareth Barry takes a shot. Blocked by Ashley Williams. Corner taken by Adam Johnson from the left by-line played to the near post, Gareth Barry takes a shot.
- 44:57 Edin Dzeko takes a shot. Save by Michel Vorm.
- 43:59 Gnegneri Toure Yaya takes a shot. Save made by Michel Vorm.
- 42:52 Edin Dzeko takes a shot. Save made by Michel Vorm.
- 41:14 Effort on goal by Gnegneri Toure Yaya from just inside the box goes harmlessly over the target.
- 38:01 Gnegneri Toure Yaya takes a shot. Save by Michel Vorm. Corner taken by Adam Johnson played to the near post. David Silva produces a right-footed shot from inside the area that clears the bar.
- 36:02 Adam Johnson crosses the ball, Michel Vorm makes a comfortable save.
- 34:07 The ball is sent over by Gael Clichy.
- 33:36 Gareth Barry concedes a free kick for a foul on Leon Britton. Ashley Williams restarts play with the free kick.
- 32:30 The official flags David Silva offside. Michel Vorm takes the indirect free kick.
- 30:50 Adam Johnson decides to take a short corner.
- 29:28 Outswinging corner taken left-footed by Adam Johnson.
- 29:10 David Silva takes a shot.
- 27:17 Gnegneri Toure Yaya takes a shot. Michel Vorm makes a comfortable save.
- 26:47 Centre by David Silva, clearance made by Steven Caulker.
- 25:39 Corner taken by Adam Johnson from the right by-line.
- 24:08 Edin Dzeko takes a shot. Blocked by Steven Caulker.
- 23:50 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on David Silva by Kemy Agustien. David Silva delivers the ball from the free kick left-footed from right channel, Ashley Williams makes a clearance.
- 22:27 Adam Johnson takes a shot. Blocked by Alan Tate. Adam Johnson takes a short corner. David Silva takes a shot. Save by Michel Vorm.
- 19:52 The assistant referee signals for offside against David Silva. Free kick taken by Michel Vorm.
- 18:26 The official flags Scott Sinclair offside. Indirect free kick taken by Joe Hart.
- 15:32 The ball is delivered by Gareth Barry.
- 14:52 The ball is crossed by Gael Clichy, clearance by Alan Tate.
- 13:04 Gael Clichy challenges Nathan Dyer unfairly and gives away a free kick. Free kick taken by Kemy Agustien.
- 11:22 Stephen Dobbie produces a right-footed shot from just outside the box that misses to the right of the net.
- 10:17 Edin Dzeko is caught offside. Indirect free kick taken by Ashley Williams.
- 8:38 The ball is delivered by Nathan Dyer, Vincent Kompany makes a clearance.
- 8:18 The ball is sent over by Stephen Dobbie, save made by Joe Hart.
- 7:58 Stephen Dobbie decides to take the corner short.
- 5:20 Stephen Dobbie takes a shot. Vincent Kompany gets a block in.
- 2:26 Nathan Dyer fouled by Gareth Barry, the ref awards a free kick. Direct free kick taken by Steven Caulker.
- 1:31 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Leon Britton by Gnegneri Toure Yaya. Alan Tate takes the direct free kick.
- 1:12 Gnegneri Toure Yaya takes a shot. Ashley Williams gets a block in.
- 0:00 The ref blows the whistle to begin the match.
Live text and data provided by The Press Association.
Barclays Premier League results
Barclays Premier League table snapshot
16 August 11Football
15 August 11Football
15 August 11Football
15 August 11Football
15 August 11Football
28 July 11Football
09 August 11Match of the Day