Scotland Wales Northern Ireland
BBC Homepage feedback | low graphics version
BBC Sport Online
You are in: Football: Eng Prem  
Front Page 
FA Cup 
Scottish Cup 
World Cup 2002 
Eng Prem 
Eng Div 1 
Eng Div 2 
Eng Div 3 
Eng Conf 
Worthington Cup 
Scot Prem 
Scot Div 1 
Scot Div 2 
Scot Div 3 
CIS Ins Cup 
Champions League 
Uefa Cup 
Rugby Union 
Rugby League 
Other Sports 
Sports Talk 
In Depth 
Photo Galleries 
TV & Radio 
BBC Pundits 
Question of Sport 
Funny Old Game 

Around The Uk

BBC News

BBC Weather

Sir Alex Ferguson
"There was a sloppiness in our game which was punished"
 real 56k

BBC Sport's Ron Jones
"A subdued United could have been three down in the first quarter"
 real 14k

Man City manager Joe Royle
"We got it right in the right areas"
 real 56k

Man City goalscorer Steve Howey
"I thought we deserved a point"
 real 56k

Saturday, 21 April, 2001, 13:01 GMT 14:01 UK
Man City hold Man Utd
Referee Elleray watches as Sheringham scores
Referee Elleray watches as Sheringham scores
Manchester United 1-1 Manchester City

Steve Howey kept Manchester City's hopes of Premiership survival alive with a crucial equaliser in an eventful Old Trafford derby.

Manchester United captain Roy Keane was sent off and Paul Scholes missed a penalty but the best Joe Royle's men could manage was a draw.

Howey's late leveller gave City hope after Teddy Sheringham celebrated being crowned Footballer of the Year by putting United ahead with a second half spot-kick.

Keane was given his marching orders after taking out his frustration out on City's Alfie Haaland with a horror tackle.

It left David Elleray no choice other than to send the Republic of Ireland international off for the fourth time in his refereeing career.

Sheringham scored from the spot after Scholes had missed earlier.

But Howey's close range finish seven minutes from time threw City a lifeline to avoid the drop.

And Royle may feel disappointed to have only claimed a point after City struck a bar and saw striker Paolo Wanchope miss an easy chance in an early surge.

Brown beats Wanchope
Brown beats Wanchope
United had a lucky break in the fourth minute when Wes Brown deflected Gerard Wiekens' shot to safety via his own crossbar.

And City were left counting the cost of a miss by Wanchope four minutes later as Royle's side opened in fiery fashion.

The rangy Costa Rican intercepted a Phil Neville header, but chose to round Fabien Barthez instead of shoot.

It was an ill-fated decision that allowed Jaap Stam to recover and clear off the line.

United had made a desperately slow start, but Scholes attempted to inject some venom into their laboured efforts with a 20-yard shot that was well saved by Carlo Nash.

Battle was finally joined as Paul Dickov was narrowly off target and David Beckham floated a 20-yard free-kick inches wide.

United were slowly taking a grip on proceedings without hitting top gear.

I don't think the referee had much choice other than to send Roy off - I don't think Alfie Haaland's seeing a solicitor but it was close to assault
  Manchester City manager Joe Royle
Goalkeeper Barthez brilliantly created an opportunity for Beckham after 35 minutes with a perfectly measured clearance from near United's own goal.

But the England midfield man sent a cushioned volley over the top.

City goalkeeper Nash came to the rescue three minutes before half-time when he saved spectacularly from Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's close range drive.

Royle made a change at half time, swapping one of his former Everton stars for another when Andrei Kanchelskis replaced the ineffective Tony Grant.

United upped the tempo after the break - and were rewarded when they were awarded a penalty after 59 minutes.

Referee Elleray had officiated with admirable restraint, but he had no option other than to point to the spot when Dickov foolishly hauled down United defender Brown.

Dickov challenges Beckham
Dickov challenges Beckham
Scholes stepped forward, but spared Dickov the ultimate punishment by pulling the penalty wide of Nash's right hand post.

United immediately sent on Ryan Giggs for Luke Chadwick - before another moment of soccer suicide by Dickov almost cost City again.

He inexplicably sent a back pass straight to Solskjaer in front of goal, but the alert Nash plunged quickly at the Norwegian's feet to save the day.

There was no escape for City with 20 minutes left when they conceded another penalty as Richard Dunne clumsily upended Solskjaer.

We were in control for 80% of the game, but we were careless and sloppy with our passing the whole game
  Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson
Goalkeeper Barthez demanded the spot-kick, but newly-crowned Footballer of the Year Sheringham scored despite a despairing effort from Nash.

City had barely troubled the United defence in the second half, but were on level terms with seven minutes left when Howey bundled home Dickov's corner.

It was all too much for Keane, who flattened Haaland with a challenge that high and late - leaving City the more satisfied team.

Man Utd: Barthez, Brown, Gary Neville, Stam, Phil Neville, Beckham, Keane, Scholes, Chadwick, Solskjaer, Sheringham. Subs: Van der Gouw, Butt, Fortune, Giggs, Silvestre.

Man City: Nash, Charvet, Dunne, Howey, Granville, Whitley, Wiekens, Haaland, Grant, Dickov, Wanchope. Subs: Weaver, Prior, Goater, Kanchelskis, Kennedy.

Referee: D Elleray (Harrow-on-the-Hill).

Search BBC Sport Online
Advanced search options
Links to top Eng Prem stories are at the foot of the page.

Links to other Eng Prem stories

^^ Back to top