Scotland Wales Northern Ireland
BBC Homepage feedback | low graphics version
BBC Sport Online
You are in: Football: Eng Prem  
Front Page 
FA Cup 
Scottish Cup 
World Cup 2002 
Eng Prem 
Eng Div 1 
Eng Div 2 
Eng Div 3 
Eng Conf 
Worthington Cup 
Scot Prem 
Scot Div 1 
Scot Div 2 
Scot Div 3 
CIS Ins Cup 
Champions League 
Uefa Cup 
Rugby Union 
Rugby League 
Other Sports 
Sports Talk 
In Depth 
Photo Galleries 
TV & Radio 
BBC Pundits 
Question of Sport 
Funny Old Game 

Around The Uk

BBC News

BBC Weather

BBC Sport's Alan Green
"The referee seemed to lose the plot"
 real 14k

Reds boss Gerard Houllier
"Even with ten-men we went forward"
 real 56k

Everton boss Walter Smith
"It's hard to stay calm in a local derby"
 real 56k

Liverpool match winner Gary McAllister
"I thought I'd just go for it"
 real 56k

Monday, 16 April, 2001, 19:31 GMT 20:31 UK
Reds leave it late for derby win
Igor Biscan and Alex Nyarko
Biscan and Nyarko contest possession
Everton 2-3 Liverpool

Gary McAllister scored a stunning free kick to clinch a typically tempestuous derby against Everton at Goodison Park.

The match featured five goals, a missed penalty, two Liverpool rejected penalty appeals, 12 bookings and the sending off of Igor Biscan.

McAllister struck from 45 yards four minutes into injury time as Liverpool maintained their Champions League hopes and completed the double over their neighbours.

In an indication perhaps of differing priorities, Everton welcomed back Richard Gough and Duncan Ferguson, while Steven Gerrard and Patrik Berger were absent from the Liverpool 16, while Michael Owen was relegated to the bench.

Emiles Heskey brushes off Steve Watson to score
Heskey opens the scoring for Liverpool
After the usual nervous start, Liverpool took the lead after just four minutes.

Handball appeals were waved away against Jamie Carragher before Liverpool sent the ball straight down the middle for Heskey to chase.

He powered past Steve Watson and crashed a thunderous shot past Paul Gerrard.

That failed to impose any pattern on the game, and as challenges continued to crash in, Michael Ball and Biscan were both booked within a minute.

Everton were looking to utilise the height of Ferguson and Kevin Campbell, but their best early chance came on the ground after 19 minutes, but Ferguson mis-cued when in front of goal.

Liverpool were looking more composed early on and Gough had to head clear from Heskey after Gerrard had misjudged a cross after 22 minutes.

An even more glaring error from his opposite number Sander Westerveld gifted Scott Gemmill a good chance after 26 minutes.

The Dutchman could only palm Watson's cross as far as Gemmill, but his hurried header flew narrowly wide.

Everton equaliser

But despite their lead, Liverpool were looking edgy and paid the price on the stroke of half-time when some calamitous defending allowed Everton to equalise.

The ball broke to Ferguson after a mix-up between Carragher and Stephane Henchoz and the Scot maintained his excellent record against Liverpool by crashing the ball to the empty net.

Liverpool's early composure had deserted them, as Everton made much the better start to the second half.

But Liverpool struck on the break after 57 minutes. A wonderful ball by Hamann released Fowler and Everton wasted two chances to clear his cross.

The ball eluded Vladimir Smicer too but Markus Babbel was on hand to stroke the ball into the net.

Abel Xavier and Jamie Carragher
Xavier tangles with Carragher
And the visitors squandered a glorious chance to seal the game two minutes later when Gough was rather harshly adjudged to have fouled Fowler in the penalty area.

But justice was perhaps done when the England striker struck his penalty kick against the post.

Liverpool were almost punished for that miss six minutes later, but Westerveld saved well from Xavier, who was allowed a free header.

Frenetic finish

Then after 69 minutes Liverpool escaped somehow after the ball ricocheted pinball-like around the box.

Biscan saw red for a challenge on Unsworth after 76 minutes and seven minutes later Liverpool conceded a penalty when Sami Hyypia was penalised for an apparent foul on Ferguson.

Unsworth stepped up to convert coolly, but Liverpool almost restored their lead after 85 minutes.

We never put our heads down and kept going until the end. In the end there was justice as we really deserved to win
  Gerard Houllier
But Hyypia's textbook header was brillaintly saved by Gerrard.

McAllister's fantastic free kick - awarded for a foul on substitute Gregory Vignal - provided the final twist to an amazing match.

His shot completely deceived Gerrard to give Liverpool a rare away win.

Everton: Gerrard, Weir, Gough, Ball, Steve Watson, Unsworth, Xavier, Nyarko, Gemmill, Campbell, Ferguson.
Subs: Pistone, Alexandersson, Pembridge, Simonsen, Gravesen.

Liverpool: Westerveld, Babbel, Henchoz, Hyypia, Carragher, Smicer, Hamann, McAllister, Biscan, Heskey, Fowler.
Subs: Ziege, Owen, Arphexad, Vignal, Wright.

Referee: J Winter (Stockton-on-Tees)

Search BBC Sport Online
Advanced search options
See also:

16 Apr 01 |  Eng Prem
Clockwatch: Everton 2-3 Liverpool
Links to top Eng Prem stories are at the foot of the page.

Links to other Eng Prem stories

^^ Back to top