Scotland Wales Northern Ireland
BBC Homepage feedback | low graphics version
BBC Sport Online
You are in: Football: Eng Prem  
Front Page 
FA Cup 
Scottish Cup 
World Cup 2002 
Eng Prem 
Eng Div 1 
Eng Div 2 
Eng Div 3 
Eng Conf 
Worthington Cup 
Scot Prem 
Scot Div 1 
Scot Div 2 
Scot Div 3 
CIS Ins Cup 
Champions League 
Uefa Cup 
Rugby Union 
Rugby League 
Other Sports 
Sports Talk 
In Depth 
Photo Galleries 
TV & Radio 
BBC Pundits 
Question of Sport 
Funny Old Game 

Around The Uk

BBC News

BBC Weather

BBC football correspondent Mike Ingham
"Leeds looked to have snatched the victory"
 real 14k

Leeds boss David O'Leary
"The linesman got them out of jail"
 real 14k

Man Utd boss Alex Ferguson
"We didn't expect to lose from a winning position"
 real 56k

Saturday, 3 March, 2001, 13:35 GMT
Leeds earn Man Utd draw
Barthez fouls Harte
Barthez brings down Harte for the penalty
Leeds United 1-1 Manchester United

Manchester United had a dramatic escape at Elland Road as battling Leeds United stalled their march to another Premiership title.

Sir Alex Ferguson's champions-elect survived fierce Leeds United pressure - and a missed penalty by Ian Harte - to stage a smash and grab raid with substitute Luke Chadwick's second half goal.

But Leeds deservedly struck back with Mark Viduka's late leveller, and looked to have snatched a dramatic victory when Wes Brown turned a Lee Bowyer cross into his own net in injury time.

But it was controversially ruled out by referee Graham Barber for offside, and Ferguson's side survived with a share of the spoils.

It capped an afternoon of drama, with Leeds defender Harte earlier wasting a spot kick after he was upended by Manchester United goalkeeper Fabien Barthez.

Eight players were booked in a game that was competitive without being dirty - but also short on real quality.

And ultimately both managers will be happy with a point, although Leeds boss David O'Leary will ask questions about the injury time own goal that was ruled out.

The offside was a shocking decicion, and I don't know how Fabien Barthez was still on the pitch to save the penalty
  Leeds United manager David O'Leary
Leeds dominated territory and possession from the kick off - but failed to create clear cut openings in a 45 minutes that failed to spark until that dramatic injury time incident.

The flamboyant figure of Barthez cast a giant shadow over the early stages as Leeds attempted to knock Manchester United out of their stride.

He was played into trouble by Jaap Stam's short back pass in the fourth minute, putting in a desperate sliding tackle on Robbie Keane to save United.

And as Leeds pushed for the breakthrough, he turned over a curling free kick from Harte and plunged at the feet of Keane as he chased Lee Bowyer's pass.

Ferguson's men, without knee injury victim Roy Keane and rested Dwight Yorke, were struggling to exert their authority.

Solskjaer and Bowyer
Solskjaer and Bowyer collide
But Leeds were becoming frustrated by their failure to pierce a resolute defence, and both Bowyer and Lucas Radebe were booked for fouls on Denis Irwin and Ole Gunnar Solskjaer.

But the game exploded in first half stoppage time as Barthez and Harte challenged for a cross - and the goalkeeper lashed out at the Leeds star in the aftermath.

The incident was spotted by referee Barber, who rightly awarded a penalty and was perhaps lenient in only showing the Frenchman a yellow card.

It took several minutes before Harte was able to take his spot kick, with Solskjaer also being booked for dissent, then Barthez redeemed himself with a brilliant save diving to his right.

Manchester United were furious with the referee, and assistant manager Steve McClaren advanced on to the pitch to make his feelings known to referee Barber.

Both managers made changes at the interval, with Leeds boss O'Leary sending on Harry Kewell and Alan Smith for Keane and Dominic Matteo - while Ferguson replaced injured Nicky Butt with Chadwick.

Sir Alex Ferguson
Ferguson - tense
Phil Neville became the fourth Manchester United player to be booked for a wild challenge on David Batty as the struggle to break the deadlock went on.

The stalemate was broken in the 63rd minute - and it was Manchester United substitute Chadwick who took advantage of Martyn's error to score.

Paul Scholes sent Solskjaer clear, and when Martyn spilled his shot Chadwick was left with the simplest of chances.

But Leeds refused to lie down, and scored the equaliser their resilience thoroughly deserved with seven minutes left.

Danny Mills deserved massive credit, with a powerful right flank run and cross that was touched on by Bowyer for Viduka to score with a spectacular diving header.

Leeds pressed on and looked to have earned the win when Brown, who scored an own goal against Valencia in the Champion League, produced a carbon copy from Bowyer's cross.

The celebrations were cut short by a linesman's flag - and it was the last twist on a tense afternoon.

Leeds: Martyn, Mills, Harte, Radebe, Ferdinand, Bowyer, Dacourt, Batty, Matteo, Keane, Viduka. Subs: Kelly, Kewell, Robinson, Smith, Bakke.

Man Utd: Barthez, Gary Neville, Phil Neville, Brown, Stam, Beckham, Scholes, Butt, Irwin, Sheringham, Solskjaer. Subs: May, Yorke, Rachubka, Greening, Chadwick.

Referee: G Barber (Tring)

Search BBC Sport Online
Advanced search options
See also:

03 Mar 01 |  Eng Prem
Clockwatch: Leeds Utd 1-1 Man Utd
03 Mar 01 |  Photo Galleries
Leeds v Manchester United - in pictures
Links to top Eng Prem stories are at the foot of the page.

Links to other Eng Prem stories

^^ Back to top